Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

WickedHate posted:

It is a DBZ joke, the punchline being that Naruto and Luffy are both very derivative of Goku. Which isn't to say they are rip offs exactly, but Dragon Ball Z is one of the most influential manga of all time, and Goku is the archtypical shonen protagonist.

Heck, so's Ichigo. And Toriko. And Natsu. Basically, if you're doing a shonen manga, the main character is very likely to closely mirror Goku, Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star, or both. Those two basically defined the whole medium when it comes to what main characters are like. Even if there's no combat involved at all.

I think that's why Death Note blew up so huge for it's time, in that Light and L were so DIFFERENT from that archtype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ichigo always felt more akin to Yusuke to me. Only, ya know, not anywhere near as good.

Why can't there be more Kenshin copies?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Nice guys who are secretly stone cold super soldiers are like a dime a dozen, they're just usually not main characters anymore.

Goku ripoffs are so popular because they very much fit the spirit of shonen. Since Goku practically defined it after all.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

BlitzBlast posted:

Nice guys who are secretly stone cold super soldiers are like a dime a dozen, they're just usually not main characters anymore.

Goku ripoffs are so popular because they very much fit the spirit of shonen. Since Goku practically defined it after all.

He said Kenshin, not Kenshiro.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
...Yes? We're talking about Rurouni Kenshin, right?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

BlitzBlast posted:

...Yes? We're talking about Rurouni Kenshin, right?

Kenshin was a probably gay samurai, he didn't make fools explode for a living.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Testekill posted:

probably gay samurai,

You do know he laid the pipe into Kaoru at the end right

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

VJeff posted:

You do know he laid the pipe into Kaoru at the end right

And that he had a "wife" that he was in love with in the 'Samurai X' movie? The woman who gave him his second scar.

Also, Kenshin killed a shitload of people before the series started.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Testekill posted:

Kenshin was a probably gay samurai, he didn't make fools explode for a living.

...Did I miss the part where Kenshin wasn't actually a repentant super-murder soldier renowned for his super-murder of everyone during the civil war?

Caros
May 14, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Ichigo always felt more akin to Yusuke to me. Only, ya know, not anywhere near as good.

One of Team Four Star's early Q&A videos covered the bleach/dbz relationship pretty well.

Edit: Man youtube is being odd today.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

And that he had a "wife" that he was in love with in the 'Samurai X' movie? The woman who gave him his second scar.

Canon with the manga, actually. And they did apparently get married and everything, but she never changed her expression and the children in the village they moved to made fun of her to Kenshin for never being any fun.

It also had Venom (from Spiderman) as an assassin trying to kill Kenshin.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Canon with the manga, actually. And they did apparently get married and everything, but she never changed her expression and the children in the village they moved to made fun of her to Kenshin for never being any fun.

It also had Venom (from Spiderman) as an assassin trying to kill Kenshin.

...I need to watch that show again.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

...I need to watch that show again.

Not-Venom doesn't appear in the show, sadly.

Not-Gambit and Not-Omega Red totally do, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I suppose in a technical sense, Kenshin was a "super soldier." But when I think "super soldiers" I think of Space Marines. Kenshin doesn't fit that bill.

And while I'm sure there are no shortage of "I killed a bunch of people, felt bad about it and vow never to kill again" stories out there, it still beats "HAHAHA, I'M A DUMB KID WHO EATS A LOT AND IS HOPELESSLY STUPID BUT I WIN ANYWAY BECAUSE PLOT!"

Kenshin was actually skilled and trained. He didn't master a move in 5 seconds whereas it took everyone else years or decades. He was a real warrior and I appreciate that about him.

He wasn't even the strongest character in the show, that was his master.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

For that matter, he might not even be stronger than the archenemies he defeated.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It breaks my heart Kenshin's author hasn't really gotten past Kenshin, despite having some really fun ideas. Busou Renkin was a ton of fun, and Kenshin was a great character for shonen.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Shinjobi posted:

It breaks my heart Kenshin's author hasn't really gotten past Kenshin, despite having some really fun ideas. Busou Renkin was a ton of fun, and Kenshin was a great character for shonen.

What are you talking about? Watsuki's gotten over Kenshin.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

And while I'm sure there are no shortage of "I killed a bunch of people, felt bad about it and vow never to kill again" stories out there, it still beats "HAHAHA, I'M A DUMB KID WHO EATS A LOT AND IS HOPELESSLY STUPID BUT I WIN ANYWAY BECAUSE PLOT!"

Goku wasn't presented as stupid, though. He was blissfully/innocently naive, not stupid. He was the most naturally gifted fighting genius around (which is why he picked up moves immediately), and pushed himself harder than almost anyone else. He was just completely naive due to seclusion and being so "good" that he assumed the best of everyone/everything. Your summation kind of ignores his archetype.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Darko posted:

Goku wasn't presented as stupid, though. He was blissfully/innocently naive, not stupid. He was the most naturally gifted fighting genius around (which is why he picked up moves immediately), and pushed himself harder than almost anyone else. He was just completely naive due to seclusion and being so "good" that he assumed the best of everyone/everything. Your summation kind of ignores his archetype.

Hell even Ninja Goku isn't stupid. He's not well educated, sure, but that's because he was actively shunned in his community forever and he's actually kind of clever in how he fights ("I've got infinite magic so why not just constantly make clones of myself to attack with me/throw as projectiles/distract people/being human ladders to run up and chase people.")

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Pirate Goku is just straight up dumb as a brick, though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TriffTshngo posted:

Yeah pirate goku is basically brain dead.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Cut him some slack. His brain is literally rubber.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

NikkolasKing posted:

It was pretty awesome that Hiko could've just owned Shishio and Enishi in five seconds but he didn't because gently caress it I want to keep being a hermit and get drunk.

Shinjobi posted:

Man, if Buso Renkin didn't count as getting past Kenshin, then I dunno what does. That manga was loving awesome.

The problem isn't that Watsuki couldn't get past Kenshin, it's that he's not a young man anymore. He was very badly ill several times during Buso Renkin because of the workload it takes to be a manga-ka. Nobody can keep that up forever except ageless freaks like the dude who does Jojo. Watsuki got to write and finish two really loving good stories and his assistants went on to make some groundbreaking stuff of their own, one of which only became the most popular manga in the history of the loving world. That's more than most guys in this industry get.

On a related note, I hope you've all emotionally prepared yourself for Oda to drop dead six months after finishing One Piece.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Kuroyama posted:

Cut him some slack. His brain is literally rubber.

So is Mr. Fantastic's and he's one of the smartest dudes alive. :colbert:

...well, he's also an abusive rear end in a top hat but you can't have everything. :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

VJeff posted:

On a related note, I hope you've all emotionally prepared yourself for Oda to drop dead six months after finishing One Piece.

His poor poor family.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

VJeff posted:

The problem isn't that Watsuki couldn't get past Kenshin, it's that he's not a young man anymore. He was very badly ill several times during Buso Renkin because of the workload it takes to be a manga-ka. Nobody can keep that up forever except ageless freaks like the dude who does Jojo.

Is this why Togashi takes his time? I never read Hunter x Hunter but I know its reputation for being awesome and barely ever coming out.

The again, Togashi wrote Yu Yu Hakusho and I believe his wife wrote Sailor Moon. He must be rich as gently caress so why not take it easy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, Togashi and the Berserk guy are both almost 50 so I would assume this is why they take their sweet time.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

VJeff posted:

It was pretty awesome that Hiko could've just owned Shishio and Enishi in five seconds but he didn't because gently caress it I want to keep being a hermit and get drunk.

Man, if Buso Renkin didn't count as getting past Kenshin, then I dunno what does. That manga was loving awesome.

The problem isn't that Watsuki couldn't get past Kenshin, it's that he's not a young man anymore. He was very badly ill several times during Buso Renkin because of the workload it takes to be a manga-ka. Nobody can keep that up forever except ageless freaks like the dude who does Jojo. Watsuki got to write and finish two really loving good stories and his assistants went on to make some groundbreaking stuff of their own, one of which only became the most popular manga in the history of the loving world. That's more than most guys in this industry get.

That might be why Watsuki moved his next series to Jump SQ, and has his wife (a writer herself) help out with the story. It's called Embalming - The Another Tale of the Frankenstein. I don't know why it hasn't been picked up by Viz yet, but Watsuki is doing stuff beyond Kenshin now.

I think the recent Kenshin stories were his editors asking for something to hype up the live-action movies.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"I love my dead gay son" is probably too old a reference to reach for, but I can hope.

Didn't WeeklyTubeShow actually do this for the exact scene you guys are talking about?

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51bw1PXNRWo

dipwood fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 1, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Is this why Togashi takes his time? I never read Hunter x Hunter but I know its reputation for being awesome and barely ever coming out.

The again, Togashi wrote Yu Yu Hakusho and I believe his wife wrote Sailor Moon. He must be rich as gently caress so why not take it easy.

Togashi also has serious health issues (back issues, it seems) which make it hard for him to work.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I think Vegeta will be more upset that Cell got to kill a Super Saiyan before he did. Or "NOBODY GETS TO KILL MY SON BUT ME!"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

VJeff posted:

Yeah, Togashi and the Berserk guy are both almost 50 so I would assume this is why they take their sweet time.

The Berserk Guy has been delayed in writing because he got really into Idolmaster.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

VJeff posted:

To be fair, if you were the strongest person in the world you could and would probably just go get drunk wherever the gently caress you wanted.

Also hahahaha you think Oda'll survive long enough to actually finish One Piece.

...Oh, I made myself sad. :negative:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kuroyama posted:

What are you talking about? Watsuki's gotten over Kenshin.

I guess he refers to the fact that Watsuki decided to revisit the manga series and "fix" a few things by releasing rewritten stories after the movies success?

It's fairly good, but I think I've become a Watsuki fanboy after Rurouni Kenshin and Buso Renkin both being so amazingly good. Buso Renkin also shows how you ought to do a Shounen protagonist who is a teenager without delving into angst or making the main character and utter idiot who you wonder how even survive the fights he gets into.

Another great thing about Kenshin was that the main character is like nearly 40, but looks like his early 20's and they even poke fun at this.

VJeff posted:

My favorite chapter with Hiko literally points out he's basically Superman and is fighting a giant. He looks the part too with his cape and all. And Watsuki in his author commentary mentions that Spawn was actually the inspiration behind the cape, which is always awesome.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Mordaedil posted:

I guess he refers to the fact that Watsuki decided to revisit the manga series and "fix" a few things by releasing rewritten stories after the movies success?

It's fairly good, but I think I've become a Watsuki fanboy after Rurouni Kenshin and Buso Renkin both being so amazingly good. Buso Renkin also shows how you ought to do a Shounen protagonist who is a teenager without delving into angst or making the main character and utter idiot who you wonder how even survive the fights he gets into.

Another great thing about Kenshin was that the main character is like nearly 40, but looks like his early 20's and they even poke fun at this.

My favorite chapter with Hiko literally points out he's basically Superman and is fighting a giant. He looks the part too with his cape and all. And Watsuki in his author commentary mentions that Spawn was actually the inspiration behind the cape, which is always awesome.

First, I get where you're coming from. I love Rurouni Kenshin and pray for the final arc to be animated someday. Not as big a fan of Buso Renkin, but it's still leagues beyond most of the battle series out today.

Secondly, like I said earlier, Watsuki didn't stop making manga after the end of Buso Renkin. He's currently doing Embalming, it just runs in the monthly Jump SQ and hasn't been picked up by Viz, so you need to find scans if you wanna read it. If you liked the homunculi of Buso Renkin, the Frankensteins in Embalming work pretty much the same way. It also has Watsuki's usual elements to manga (minimal stupid fanservice, older leads who aren't that angsty or brain-dead).

Plus, Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes show up, and Jack the Ripper is a Frankenstein that flies by exhaling really hard. What more do you want?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Ghost Goku's supposed to be actually be smart but that's mostly an informed thing, aside from his fights with Byakuya and Gin.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Mordaedil posted:

Kenshin is 28 at the beginning of Rurouni Kenshin. He was like, 18 at the end of the Bakumatsu. They do poke a fair bit of fun at Kenshin and Hiko looking really young for their ages (28 and 43, respectively)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Exercu posted:

Kenshin is 28 at the beginning of Rurouni Kenshin. He was like, 18 at the end of the Bakumatsu. They do poke a fair bit of fun at Kenshin and Hiko looking really young for their ages (28 and 43, respectively)

Ah right, I got it reversed for a minute. Sorry about that.

Kuroyama posted:

Secondly, like I said earlier, Watsuki didn't stop making manga after the end of Buso Renkin. He's currently doing Embalming, it just runs in the monthly Jump SQ and hasn't been picked up by Viz, so you need to find scans if you wanna read it. If you liked the homunculi of Buso Renkin, the Frankensteins in Embalming work pretty much the same way. It also has Watsuki's usual elements to manga (minimal stupid fanservice, older leads who aren't that angsty or brain-dead).

Plus, Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes show up, and Jack the Ripper is a Frankenstein that flies by exhaling really hard. What more do you want?

I will need to look this up, hoping that Viz does decide to cover them soon too.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Is Busou Renkin really that good? I discarded it because of how cliché it looked with its spiky-haired protagonist with a big sword and mysterious girl in school uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ghost Goku's supposed to be actually be smart but that's mostly an informed thing, aside from his fights with Byakuya and Gin.

Pirate Goku acknowledges his limitations and says that's why he needs a crew early on in the series, thus making him smarter then Ghost Goku.

• Locked thread