Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Subarus run a pretty high oil pressure so it's a good idea to get a filter with a strong bypass spring. There are a few good threads where guys tear apart filters and figure out what their bypass pressures are.

The Subaru OEM filters are pretty cheap and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Airbag light issue: Someone asked if anyone had done it and I just knocked it out. Simple job, 20 minutes or so. The hardest part for me was removing the connectors as I'm always afraid I'm not pressing what I'm supposed to or whatever. I put some nasty blobs of solder on the little chip edges and it worked fine.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My driver side Sun visor came loose and now there's just bare metal holes where it used to be anchored. Anyone have any idea what I would need to replace it?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sheet metal screws with a shank the size of the hole.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Latest Update, my 04 wrx wagon, 2 days after picking it up after having new clutch/flywheel propeller shaft, rear main seal, etc installed, and there is a puddle of transmission oil under the car. I take a look and I can actively see it dripping. After an hour I have a 6" diameter stain in the driveway. Now I am pissed, the car was being packed for a roadtrip with the family, leaving tomorrow and instead I have to take it back to the shop and wait for them to get back on monday and explain why it is leaking.

I do wonder if it could be related to my replacing both front CV axles, but that was 3 weeks ago and there was no leaks at all until I get the car back from the clutch service. Any ideas?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Latest Update, my 04 wrx wagon, 2 days after picking it up after having new clutch/flywheel propeller shaft, rear main seal, etc installed, and there is a puddle of transmission oil under the car. I take a look and I can actively see it dripping. After an hour I have a 6" diameter stain in the driveway. Now I am pissed, the car was being packed for a roadtrip with the family, leaving tomorrow and instead I have to take it back to the shop and wait for them to get back on monday and explain why it is leaking.

I do wonder if it could be related to my replacing both front CV axles, but that was 3 weeks ago and there was no leaks at all until I get the car back from the clutch service. Any ideas?

There is a huge difference between leaking from the axle area and leaking from the tailshaft. A night and a piece of cardboard can diag that one. Either way, this is a "poo poo down the throat of whoever did the work" situation. You can continue to drive the car as long as you keep the fluids topped off.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Slow is Fast posted:

There is a huge difference between leaking from the axle area and leaking from the tailshaft. A night and a piece of cardboard can diag that one. Either way, this is a "poo poo down the throat of whoever did the work" situation. You can continue to drive the car as long as you keep the fluids topped off.

Well I did the axles, but I paid someone to do the big work. Guess I'll see who has egg on their face. Either way, it is at the shop, I'll pass on when I hear something next week.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Well I did the axles, but I paid someone to do the big work. Guess I'll see who has egg on their face. Either way, it is at the shop, I'll pass on when I hear something next week.

I'm wondering why doing the clutch would make it leak? Don't you unbolt the motor and slide it forward to do it on these cars?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I know they put in new oil. Some googling suggests that overfilling can be problematic, but I don't know if that's the case cause I dropped off the car before thinking of checking the dip stick. They also put in a new cylinder, maybe that's the cause and it was fluid from there. I have a hard time telling the two apart as they both smell nasty to me.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Axle or prop shaft seal probably got damaged when they were putting it back together.

lime rind
Jul 10, 2014
I was about to put new steel wheels on my 2007 Impreza 2.5i when I realized there was no center cap. Is it OK to leave the center open, exposing the spindle nut (I think that's what it's called)?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've done it before and I've seen countless others drive around without centre caps, if you're really worried about it you can buy a set of hub caps for the steelies, but they're mostly cheap and crappy looking (at least all the aftermarket ones I've seen) and they still don't seal against the wheel so dirt/water/salt will still find it's way in so they're not much more than a splash shield.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

At the very least I would apply a thin coat of a thick grease over any exposed threads and pin to have some protection against corrosion.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Majere posted:

At the very least I would apply a thin coat of a thick grease over any exposed threads and pin to have some protection against corrosion.

Don't do this, the grease will just pick up any dirt/debris and make getting the nut off even harder and messier than it needs to be, as well as probably covering your wheel in grease after a few miles. It will be fine out in the open so long as you aren't driving offroad through mudholes every day. Hell, even then it will probably be ok.

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

My winter tires are on a set of steel wheels without center or hub caps, it's fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Managed to see my '02 listed on Autotrader for about a week before it was gone. The dealer itself was selling it, I figured it would have went to auction.

I noticed in the pictures that they took out the all aluminum Koyo radiator and put an OEM one back in before they listed it for sale. I thought that was interesting.

On a whim, I logged into my.subaru.com because I still have the car listed in there and I was able to see what they actually did with the car before they sold it.

I guess my subframe was rusted through, so they replaced that. The reason they had for replacing the radiator was "coolant leaking" but the radiator wasn't doing anything of the sort. I'm wondering if some tech nabbed the part. They also replaced the front lower control arms as per the recall and recharged the AC system. That last one wasn't what was wrong with the AC though, there was a stuck valve under the dash. So, I'm not sure if they replaced that or not.

They had it listed for $9,995 which is a bit nuts for a 13 year old car with 119k miles on it. I wondered what it ended up selling for.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Managed to see my '02 listed on Autotrader for about a week before it was gone. The dealer itself was selling it, I figured it would have went to auction.

I noticed in the pictures that they took out the all aluminum Koyo radiator and put an OEM one back in before they listed it for sale. I thought that was interesting.

On a whim, I logged into my.subaru.com because I still have the car listed in there and I was able to see what they actually did with the car before they sold it.

I guess my subframe was rusted through, so they replaced that. The reason they had for replacing the radiator was "coolant leaking" but the radiator wasn't doing anything of the sort. I'm wondering if some tech nabbed the part. They also replaced the front lower control arms as per the recall and recharged the AC system. That last one wasn't what was wrong with the AC though, there was a stuck valve under the dash. So, I'm not sure if they replaced that or not.

They had it listed for $9,995 which is a bit nuts for a 13 year old car with 119k miles on it. I wondered what it ended up selling for.

The techs I know are notorious for ganking upgrades out of cars coming in and out. STi intercooler, roof racks, rads, you name it. Mods don't mean poo poo to the dealer.

also lol at 10k for a bugeye

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
10k for a bugeye is ridiculous even by Australian standards unless it was the cleanest most perfectly maintained car in the history of ever. That thing is not worth 10k especially with rust, unless they are heaps more popular over there than they are here for some reason.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Insurance gave me $11,000ish for mine tax included. An 02 with 65,000 miles. I bought it for $9000 a few months prior. WRXs are EXTREMELY popular here though, Subarus in general too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Going to replace my clutch later this month and I'm thinking that the Exedy stock replacement.

I'm planning to go to stage 2 (uppipe, dp, catback and tune) at a later date but want to make sure this will handle the extra torque.

As for some of the other things I'm planning to when I pull the motor to do this:

inspect:
Turbocharger
seals
coolant system
rear suspension clunk
steering rack and tie rods

replace:
Oil Pickup (with covert oil pickup)
Clutch hydraulic line
sparkplugs
uppipe (grimmspeed)
engine and trans mounts with group-n (are the stock ones cheaper? RSD has all 3 for 225)
flush all fluids

anything else? Car has 173k miles

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 1, 2014

si
Apr 26, 2004
If you're pulling the motor anyhow at 173k, seems like it'd be worth going ahead and doing the timing belt early. I'd check the head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and spark plug gaskets for seepage/etc.

If you're planning on pulling the oil pan to do the pickup, check the bearings and decide if it's even worth doing all of that to a 173k mi motor?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, with the motor out, I would just do the valve cover gaskets. I would be really surprised if they weren't already weeping at this point.

I would also inspect/replace the turbo oil return line. That always likes to crack and start to drip oil on the exhaust.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Oh yeah, I can smell a tiny bit of burning oil sometimes when i'm idling at a light.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Good game, guys.

Jalopnik posted:

There are two things you're gonna hear often if you own a Subaru WRX. The first is "You're going to need another clutch," and the second is "Do you know why I pulled you over today?" Apparently, the second one goes for the Mercury Topaz too. Who knew?

That's what we learn from a new study released today by Insurance.com, which sought to determine the most-ticketed vehicles in America by percent of owners who received citations. The Detroit Free Press has a good summary of the results.

The study says the WRX leads that list, with one out of three drivers — 33.6 percent — having reported receiving a traffic citation recently. (If you've ever owned a WRX or an STI, you're probably nodding your head in agreement right now.)

Second place went to the Pontiac GTO, where 32.6 percent of owners reported tickets. They don't discern whether it's the old-school GTO or the re-badged Holden from the mid-2000s, but I bet it's the latter. In third place, right below the Goat, was the Scion FR-S. Who says the Toyobaru is slow?

But then we get into some weird results. The Mercury Topaz, a car that hasn't been built in 20 years, placed seventh; the Suzuki Reno came in thirteenth, tied with both the Volkswagen GTI and Hyundai Veloster.

I guess when you don't care about your car, you're free to drive it like you stole it.

Insurance.com says they based their results on insurance quote requests from 550,000 drivers a month. As always, take studies like these with some skepticism, but when insurance-seekers are reporting these themselves, I have to assume the list is fairly accurate.

You can search for your car, too. Where does yours rank?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

Good game, guys.
[url=http://code3.jalopnik.com/subaru-wrx-and-mercury-topaz-among-americas-most-ti-1640812824/+pgeorge]

Glad i graduated to a BMW, the 5 series is in 168th place, behind even the volvo 850.

edit: dodge viper is in 5th to last place, what the gently caress

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Powershift posted:

edit: dodge viper is in 5th to last place, what the gently caress

Drivers are probably too terrified of their car trying to kill them than drive it hard.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Old rich people buy fast cars, barely do the speed limit, news at 11.

Alternatively more expensive car = money to get out of the ticket via a lawyer.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

BraveUlysses posted:

Oh yeah, I can smell a tiny bit of burning oil sometimes when i'm idling at a light.

Could be valve cover leak to the header/up-pipe. If you're pulling the engine to do the clutch those gaskets and the half moon seals are easy to replace. Also send me a pm/email about buying parts.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Thinking of getting a 2015 WRX but I'm afraid of a 2007 -> 2008 situation where Subaru bumped the power output by 30HP.
And then I see bits about the new facelift for the Impreza for 2016, which probably means 2017 for the WRX?

Should I just go ahead and get the WRX anyway?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Coffee Jones posted:

Thinking of getting a 2015 WRX but I'm afraid of a 2007 -> 2008 situation where Subaru bumped the power output by 30HP.
And then I see bits about the new facelift for the Impreza for 2016, which probably means 2017 for the WRX?

WRX got the new engine, STI was the one stuck with the old EJ series (great engine with lots of aftermarket support and known limits and issues but just an old design with old tech and pretty much phased out already from the rest of the line up)

I feel that the STI will be the one that gets a new exciting engine and possibly a decent power bump in the next couple years, the WRX should be a safe bet for this gen. All the reviews are pretty glowing from what I've seen, so I don't think you can go wrong getting the new WRX now.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Coffee Jones posted:

What are you looking for in the car and what are your fears?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I do think there's some valid concern that if the STI gets a power bump following a new engine, the WRX might get a corresponding modest bump. We know the engine in the WRX is capable of 296hp in production form but possibly not in US emissions restrictions. However, I don't expect that to happen right away.

b0jangles
Jun 3, 2014
Experiencing a weird issue with my '14 XV Crosstrek. I have Gas/CVT. 7.4k Miles.

I've noticed 3 issues involving (I believe) the CVT:

1. When I go in to Drive from Park, and push the gas, it takes a half of a second to respond, resulting in a "jerk" forward, as the engine revs but the transmission hasn't caught yet. Kind of like if you go in to neutral, rev the engine, and then switch to Drive while it's revving.

2. When I sit idle, especially right when the car starts, whether braking or in park, the car sits at around 900 RPM and occasionally (maybe once every 30 seconds), jumps to around 1100 RPM, then slowly works it's way back down to 700-900 RPM. When it does this, I hear a "rumbling" from the engine, almost the same as if I stalled out a manual car but not quite as severe.

3. When I'm driving and speed up, and then let go of the gas and coast for a bit, as my speed decreases I experience similar symptoms, such as jerking as if I'm going from a really high gear to a low gear in a manual and buck a little (except, much less severe). This is the least noticable/annoying of my 3 issues.

Are these normal for this car? They honestly don't bother me that much, I am just curious if they are normal or if what I'm experiencing needs to be looked at. I will probably mention it at my next oil change unless someone says my car is about to explode.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

What is everyone's thought of this 2006 Outback 3.0 for $3990 as a fixer-upper, a candidate for an eventual diesel swap, and using the leftover engine for an 818 build?
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/4688358348.html

I'm not sure what's going on with the driver's headrest or the center elbow rest but the rest of the interior doesn't look too bad. The exterior damage seems to be limited to the body cladding, bumpers, and hood. How much should I expect to have those fixed, replaced, or cleaned up? Also, what would be my best option for making the hood work with the top mounted intercooler on the diesel engine? Replace it with a Legacy GT or Outback XT hood or fix and mod the hood with an air scoop?

Then again, it's from Brooklyn so who knows what kind of hell it's been through. Could I do better?

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 2, 2014

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

b0jangles posted:

Experiencing a weird issue with my '14 XV Crosstrek. I have Gas/CVT. 7.4k Miles.

I've noticed 3 issues involving (I believe) the CVT:

1. When I go in to Drive from Park, and push the gas, it takes a half of a second to respond, resulting in a "jerk" forward, as the engine revs but the transmission hasn't caught yet. Kind of like if you go in to neutral, rev the engine, and then switch to Drive while it's revving.

2. When I sit idle, especially right when the car starts, whether braking or in park, the car sits at around 900 RPM and occasionally (maybe once every 30 seconds), jumps to around 1100 RPM, then slowly works it's way back down to 700-900 RPM. When it does this, I hear a "rumbling" from the engine, almost the same as if I stalled out a manual car but not quite as severe.

3. When I'm driving and speed up, and then let go of the gas and coast for a bit, as my speed decreases I experience similar symptoms, such as jerking as if I'm going from a really high gear to a low gear in a manual and buck a little (except, much less severe). This is the least noticable/annoying of my 3 issues.

Are these normal for this car? They honestly don't bother me that much, I am just curious if they are normal or if what I'm experiencing needs to be looked at. I will probably mention it at my next oil change unless someone says my car is about to explode.

I don't know about 1 and 3, but for 2 is your air conditioner on?

b0jangles
Jun 3, 2014

FogHelmut posted:

I don't know about 1 and 3, but for 2 is your air conditioner on?

Yes, I just tried it with the compressor off and it seemed to not happen after that. I don't know if it was cause/effect, because the blue engine light also went off around the same time.

Why would the AC compressor affect that?

Thanks for the response

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AC compressor cycling puts additional load on the engine and the idle has to adjust. My '11 feels like it's going to stall too at idle when the AC compressor cycles.

b0jangles
Jun 3, 2014

bull3964 posted:

AC compressor cycling puts additional load on the engine and the idle has to adjust. My '11 feels like it's going to stall too at idle when the AC compressor cycles.

Good to know. When I start up the engine tomorrow morning after sitting out all night, I'll see if it happens with AC off. Hadn't been paying attention to that, didn't think they were related at all.

Do you have same engine/tranny as me?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Update again:

Got back in town today, got the car back as well. It was the axle seals that were leaking. The bill was around $300 to replace the seals but the shop covered it. I fully admit that I am a novice and I replaced the axles about 3 weeks previous which a search of this thread will show. I also did not replace the seals when I did so, but I also know that there was not a drop of leaking oil until the clutch was serviced and I am pretty sure they also had to remove the axles when they were working. I don't know, I guess they fixed it, and it may have been me. Kind of feel weirded out by the whole mess. At least the car seems to be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

b0jangles posted:

Do you have same engine/tranny as me?

Nope, different on both accounts. But I know the behavior well.

It's something my '02 never did, but it wasn't drive by wire or had nearly the amount of emission controls on it.