Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
So you're saying back the trailer down a long launch ramp at low tide, and let the fish clean it? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

It's in the article but they also realized it'd be frozen to the floor then.

My solution would involve having a trailer shaped hole dug at the dump, refreezing it, and simply backing it into the hole. Maybe take the wheels/tires/brakes/axles/reefer unit off. gently caress it, you guys want the trailer? All yours.

Trailers are cheap and fire cleanses all.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

kastein posted:

So you're saying back the trailer down a long launch ramp at low tide, and let the fish clean it? :v:

Hell, the tide would do a solid job. Would make for a hell of an amusing time-lapse video regardless :)

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

angryhampster posted:

We use rollerbeds similar to this for some of our FedEx lanes:

This is exactly what I had in mind. I hadn't seen the walking floors before but they look complicated with a bunch of moving parts and I'm guessing some sort of air powered system to make the parts of the floor move.

Someone mentioned having the rollers retract so the cargo doesn't just roll around and that's what I had in mind. I guess it's just a cost thing.

How long does it take a forklift to unload a full trailer of palletized goods?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Hummer Driving human being posted:

This is exactly what I had in mind. I hadn't seen the walking floors before but they look complicated with a bunch of moving parts and I'm guessing some sort of air powered system to make the parts of the floor move.

Someone mentioned having the rollers retract so the cargo doesn't just roll around and that's what I had in mind. I guess it's just a cost thing.

Depends.

Straight take off can be done very quickly.

Union or Lumpers? Couple of hours.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

It's in the article but they also realized it'd be frozen to the floor then.

My solution would involve having a trailer shaped hole dug at the dump, refreezing it, and simply backing it into the hole. Maybe take the wheels/tires/brakes/axles/reefer unit off. gently caress it, you guys want the trailer? All yours.

Why would it be frozen? Just set it to 40F or so to keep the smell and flies down.

I kinda want to know what the trucking company did to piss off the driver.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Also a bold move from the driver for trying to ransom the load.

One of my customers brokers produce loads, more than a few times I've been there and overheard them dealing with similar situations where the driver has the load but wants more money than initially agreed upon to actually deliver it. They often end up paying it if the request isn't too bad because it's easier than eating the cost and suing the driver and probably not getting anything anyways.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 25, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

tater_salad posted:

I think that ive seen talk of a "walking" floor that lifts, shifts, drops, lifts, shifts, drops etc. To push goods out of trucks.

The only real use for them is in for traditional tipper jobs in height restricted area's, which is a basically a non-existent problem.

If it's palletized freight, why go to the trouble of having a walking floor when there's already guaranteed to be a forklift/lift truck/pallet jack at the place to move it once it's off the truck?

And for tipper work, if there's no height restrictions, it's faster, easier and simpler to just tip the trailer up.

Ontop of all that it's more complicated with more failure points, and weight more than a standard floor or a tipper setup.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Rudager posted:

The only real use for them is in for traditional tipper jobs in height restricted area's, which is a basically a non-existent problem.

If it's palletized freight, why go to the trouble of having a walking floor when there's already guaranteed to be a forklift/lift truck/pallet jack at the place to move it once it's off the truck?

And for tipper work, if there's no height restrictions, it's faster, easier and simpler to just tip the trailer up.

Ontop of all that it's more complicated with more failure points, and weight more than a standard floor or a tipper setup.

http://youtu.be/eiXIYtIFMyM

Walking floor.

Best use for a roller floor I have seen is beer can trailers that load the empty cans on thin skids so they can get the max amount in each trailer.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Well that's the other thing that makes it hard for me to get my head around, over here in Australia general freight goes in curtainsiders. Solid bodies are pretty much only for fridge vans.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If the chicken trailer had a rolling self unloading floor they could just dump it in a pit at the landfill.

I bet that trailer smells just like West Coast Reductions in Vancouver. Bleh!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Costco's micro forklifts can hoover out an entire trailer in 15 minutes.

wolrah posted:

One of my customers brokers produce loads, more than a few times I've been there and overheard them dealing with similar situations where the driver has the load but wants more money than initially agreed upon to actually deliver it. They often end up paying it if the request isn't too bad because it's easier than eating the cost and suing the driver and probably not getting anything anyways.

I'd think the cost lies not in paying that individual driver off, but setting the precedent for next time.

Cold produce is the only way I see that ever working, even though it's one of the less valuable loads to have. The $2m trailer full of titanium razors can sit for a week while they find it, the frozen meat can't.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Rudager posted:

Well that's the other thing that makes it hard for me to get my head around, over here in Australia general freight goes in curtainsiders. Solid bodies are pretty much only for fridge vans.

Why is that? Are they cheaper? I've never liked the idea of those things. It just seems too easy to mess up the fabric and/or whatever is being hauled. Also it seems like contents theft would involve 5 seconds with a decent knife. I'm guessing it's not too easy to cut through them, but still...

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Lighter and less subject to side winds when empty.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I wonder if the better weather (less rain/snow/ice) is why curtainsides get used more in Australia as well?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Javid posted:

Lighter and less subject to side winds when empty.

They'd have the same cross section in the wind as a hardside trailer, unless you mean to imply that they roll up or remove the curtains when empty..?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

DNova posted:

Why is that? Are they cheaper? I've never liked the idea of those things. It just seems too easy to mess up the fabric and/or whatever is being hauled. Also it seems like contents theft would involve 5 seconds with a decent knife. I'm guessing it's not too easy to cut through them, but still...

Biggest factor is we run b-double combination's for any inter-city work, and even alot of intra-city work too, and it's a hell of a lot easier to just pull back curtains on both trailers than to split it all up, slide the body on the A trailer back and forwards and put it all back together again.

For example the absolute best case scenario for the truck in the wiki article (which is about 85ft long all up), is that he's going to have to reverse the entire combination onto a dock, drop the B trailer, hopefully have a second dock there to put the A trailer on, then once it's all unloaded/loaded, put it back together again. That's the absolute best case scenario, and it very rarely works like that, most places will assign you a dock or be too small to maneuver a B-double around in and then the job is more like, drop the B trailer somewhere out on the street where there's enough room to break it up, put the A trailer on the dock, once it's loaded/unloaded, drop it somewhere else out on the street, pick up the B trailer, put it on the dock, once it's unloaded/loaded, drop it on the street where there's enough room to put it back together again, grab the A trailer and put it back together again.

It's alot of work and a massive headache compared with just rolling in and pulling back the curtains.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 26, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

DNova posted:

They'd have the same cross section in the wind as a hardside trailer, unless you mean to imply that they roll up or remove the curtains when empty..?

That's what they do here, why not?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Javid posted:

That's what they do here, why not?

Fair enough. Just seems weird to me.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

DNova posted:

Fair enough. Just seems weird to me.

Weird?

This is the trucking thread ya know. Oh yeah, here is something even better, my truck is geared so loving high, that in a strong wind, I lose speed, and mileage decreases even more. I'm really going to have to climb all over my engine and check the plates out, because I think something is wrong.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Rudager posted:

Biggest factor is we run b-double combination's for any inter-city work, and even alot of intra-city work too, and it's a hell of a lot easier to just pull back curtains on both trailers than to split it all up, slide the body on the A trailer back and forwards and put it all back together again.

For example the absolute best case scenario for the truck in the wiki article (which is about 85ft long all up), is that he's going to have to reverse the entire combination onto a dock, drop the B trailer, hopefully have a second dock there to put the A trailer on, then once it's all unloaded/loaded, put it back together again. That's the absolute best case scenario, and it very rarely works like that, most places will assign you a dock or be too small to maneuver a B-double around in and then the job is more like, drop the B trailer somewhere out on the street where there's enough room to break it up, put the A trailer on the dock, once it's loaded/unloaded, drop it somewhere else out on the street, pick up the B trailer, put it on the dock, once it's unloaded/loaded, drop it on the street where there's enough room to put it back together again, grab the A trailer and put it back together again.

It's alot of work and a massive headache compared with just rolling in and pulling back the curtains.

I think its also how much freight gets unloaded at places without a dock too- think about the number of outback towns that are serviced purely by truck and all they have is the 200m of sealed road through town (to keep the dust down) and the forklift thats kept out the back of the pub. Its a nightmare to unload a truck purely out of the rear if you cant drive the fork into it- you'd have to pallet truck everything to the back and fork it out from there. Side load you just swing back the sides, park the truck in the middle of the street and have at it.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

DNova posted:

A lot of Freight in Australia and NZ is direct location to location with limited time spent parked in open and public yards. In NZ the fright is often on the truck for less than 10 hours before its swapped out to another trailer. Often the trucks do fixed routes only too.

Edit: These trucks are often hot swapped too. So you drive the day shift, park it in the warehouse to get reloaded, then the night guy picks it up and drives the same route but over night. They you see him in the morning.

Anphear fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 27, 2014

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
How do you actually activate the air horn in a truck? Is it a thing you pull from the ceiling like movies told me?

Also is there a law that says all truckers must comply with schoolchildren's requests for airhorn (is this a UK only thing)?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Depends on the truck, all mine had the center of the wheel as the air horn and then smaller buttons for the city horn. Most people don't expect a humble Volvo *beep beep* out of a semi, it's awesome. Older ones will have the thing you pull or whatever.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mine has a center button for a cute little "meep meep" and a loud gently caress-off air horn handle coming out of the roof.

the regular meep meep horn is nice for when you want to get someone's attention, but don't want to get EVERYBODY's attention.

Funny story though. My front left speaker is in the headliner right behind the air handle. I drive like an rear end in a top hat on roads rougher than you've ever seen, so the speaker broke loose from the headliner and the magnet stuck to the side of the cab, so if i use the air horn, the lever sticks to the speaker magent and the horn gets stuck on.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Crankit posted:

How do you actually activate the air horn in a truck? Is it a thing you pull from the ceiling like movies told me?

Also is there a law that says all truckers must comply with schoolchildren's requests for airhorn (is this a UK only thing)?

Pete is a laynard on the left side, KW in the Middle, Older freightshakers on the left, Volvo center, Shitspreaders are a button on the wheel.

On my older International, the airhorns where in the center of the front bumper, so if you cut me off, you fuckin' knew you pissed me off because I'd rattle your rear end. I couldn't even hear the city horn on my old one. Now my airhorn is under my loving feet, so when you are next to me and I push da button, it scared the piss out of everybody in the car.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Neato, what's the shitspreaders a specific type of horn? Does the airhorn connect to a standard air system in the truck, and have any of you guys considered horn upgrades like train or ship horns?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Crankit posted:

Neato, what's the shitspreaders a specific type of horn?

"Shitspreader" -> "Thirteen Letter Shitspreader" -> "I-n-t-e-r-n-a-t-i-o-n-a-l" -> International Harvester. Truck company that makes big trucks, agricultural equipment, etc.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crankit posted:

Neato, what's the shitspreaders a specific type of horn? Does the airhorn connect to a standard air system in the truck, and have any of you guys considered horn upgrades like train or ship horns?

My father always loved that "If I had a rocket launcher, some son of a bitch would die" song. I think he took it a little too seriously and if he could have avoided jail would probably have murdered a lot of people who cut him off in traffic.

Edit: To clarify I think he would have upgraded the air horn to a rocket launcher on his Vancouver Public Transit bus.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 30, 2014

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
NY Class A Road skills test tomorrow. Here's to me not hitting a curb, or leaving too much space on my right and catching a prius in my trailer.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ozmiander posted:

NY Class A Road skills test tomorrow. Here's to me not hitting a curb, or leaving too much space on my right and catching a prius in my trailer.

gently caress, i passed.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

gently caress, i passed.

SUCK 2 B U

So the big question now, what are you going to do with your shiny new CDL?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InterceptorV8 posted:

SUCK 2 B U

So the big question now, what are you going to do with your shiny new CDL?

Probably join up with one of the horrible starter companies and survive that for a few months and then try to find a real job.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Ozmiander posted:

Probably join up with one of the horrible starter companies and survive that for a few months and then try to find a real job.

Why not cut to the chase and find a real job now, before the crippling depression really cuts into the interview process? :v:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Trucking companies are hard up for drivers right now. Use that to your advantage as much as possible while you're shopping for a company.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Totally TWISTED posted:

Trucking companies are hard up for drivers right now. Use that to your advantage as much as possible while you're shopping for a company.

Trucking companies are always hard up for drivers.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

InterceptorV8 posted:

It certainly doesn't change the lovely way they treat you guys. Another Libertarian myth debunked.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

A Melted Tarp posted:

It certainly doesn't change the lovely way they treat you guys. Another Libertarian myth debunked.

Naw, I wouldn't go that route, because you can make money in trucking. The problem is the Mormon CDL Mill companies. You get them playing with the ATA, get government backing to hire people on unemployement/welfare to do CDL training, while also getting government grant money to do that, they also charge the person getting the training, then they do an insurance loophole that keeps most companies from hiring rookies (they self insure with a bond) and then they do other tricks to try and ram stupid poo poo through.

Then on the other hand, you can go cowboy.

I'VE HEARD STORIES

That you can make serious coin doing fast turnarounds from cities that only have one scale between them in a W.F.O truck. I mean, if you are returning to the same terminal you left from, that means you can run 16 hours right? :q:

Sometimes it's good to work at two companies, one with slow trucks, and elogs, the other, not. While you're resetting your elog you do a quick run for fun money.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

Well I'm hearing it a lot more from the dispatchers than in the past. But I think youre right too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
I don't think the problem is driver shortage. I think the problem is driver retention. Look at all these big companies that have 90 to 100% driver turn over. How often do you hear about frieght just sitting because there aren't enough drivers to move it? The industry as a whole would have massive problems getting poo poo moved and you would see shippers moving more and more frieght by train or air.

Biggest advice I have for someone just starting out is gently caress the bullshit companies. Find a niche to get in, tankard, flat bed or ltl and rock it. If you gotta put 6 months In at a crap driver mill company do so, but flee as fast as you can.

I freely admit I have become completely spoiled by working in the LTL field. Which has led me to me new problem of hating the company I work for, but there is like one maybe two other companies that would pay more then my wife and I make working here.

• Locked thread