Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football?
This poll is closed.
A harsh mistress 26 18.06%
A hate-verse allergic to love 14 9.72%
A flayer of souls 28 19.44%
A wait at the DMV that ends with a surly attendant telling you that you don't have the right documents 76 52.78%
Total: 144 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

every posted:

Apparently the refs hosed up the spot in Georgia's final drive by about 4 yards. Sorry Vols.

That didn't win the game, the punt inside the 2 did. I think Tennessee would of won if that was a touch-back, but the last 10 years of Tennessee football have been full of nothing but 'what ifs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MourningView posted:

It very nearly did. The president had to step in and get them to change the rules to keep the game alive.

In fact, the NCAA was born as a result of West Point commandeering a conference called with intention of abolishing the sport, and convincing them to reform it instead.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

pillsburysoldier posted:

Board of Regents to meet today regarding "Concussion-gate" http://j.mp/1xx2xE6 http://j.mp/1mLkc7p #MGoBoard

really? that's the name we're going with?

Better than Concussghazi, I guess?

Deteriorata posted:

In fact, the NCAA was born as a result of West Point commandeering a conference called with intention of abolishing the sport, and convincing them to reform it instead.

I never knew this. That's a crazy trivia fact.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

Board of Regents to meet today regarding "Concussion-gate" http://j.mp/1xx2xE6 http://j.mp/1mLkc7p #MGoBoard

really? that's the name we're going with?

people really really really really need to quit calling every controversy/problem "____-gate". Jesus gently caress

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

DJExile posted:

people really really really really need to quit calling every controversy/problem "____-gate". Jesus gently caress

This. At some point in the future, knowing that the suffix "-gate" means that something is controversial/a scandal, people will be really confused when they realize Watergate had nothing to do with water.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
That statement from Brandon coupled with Hoke's press conference combine to make Hoke look clueless and incompetent. I wonder if Brandon intended that.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

That'll attract prospective head coaching candidates next year

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

That statement from Brandon coupled with Hoke's press conference combine to make Hoke look clueless and incompetent. I wonder if Brandon intended that.

I'm sure he did. Brandon at least has a prayer of survival if he can weather this storm, and make a home run hire once Hoke is gone. I don't see that happening but it's probably the only card Brandon has left to play.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Nope! Undefeated BYU and undefeated Georgia Tech are "on the fence." Okay, you think, lovely schedules. Then how about undefeated TCU (playing a Big 12 schedule)?

There's something else in their 'formula'/guts. Regardless what's going on, though, calling Arizona a contender is hilarious and I eagerly await our grisly murder in Autzen.

I think people are looking at last year's score vs Oregon and waiting to see Thursday's result in the event there's another upset.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

NC State's head coach apologized to Jimbo Fisher for the fake injuries accusation.

Doesn't really matter. #goacc.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Dabo's weekly presser is live: http://www.clemsontigers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28500&id=3437397

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Pretty pumped about the slate of games this weekend. In no particular order:

Texas-Baylor (yikes)
TAMU-Miss St
Stanford-ND
Bama-Ole Miss
Oklahoma-TCU
Nebraska-Michigan St
LSU-Auburn
Texas Tech-Kansas St
Arizona St-USC
Florida-Tennessee
Iowa State-Okie Lite

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Thermos H Christ posted:

Texas-Baylor (yikes)
TAMU-Miss St
Stanford-ND
Bama-Ole Miss
Oklahoma-TCU
Nebraska-Michigan St
LSU-Auburn
Texas Tech-Kansas St
Arizona St-USC
Florida-Tennessee
Iowa State-Okie Lite

I'm actually glad Bama isn't playing at home since I get to just eat hot wings and watch football all day

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

vyst posted:

Welp. Muschamp: No plan to play 2 QBs

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20140929/ARTICLES/140929625?tc=cr

Enjoy your victory Tennessee.

There was literally zero chance that Muschamp will let go of Driskels turned-out back pocket.

I like the siege mentality in that article.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

DJExile posted:

if theres a scandal about naming scandals does that mean it's gate-gate

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Scionix posted:

if theres a scandal about naming scandals does that mean it's gate-gate

Gatex10^2

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

RumbleFish posted:

Mack Brown can't go to SMU because it's his destiny to return to North Carolina and thus restore that program to the respectability it enjoyed while he was there to begin with.

(I had this stray thought a few days ago and it turns out some UNC boards think this should actually happen. I've held a grudge about his departure all these years, so I guess I can't really talk.)

I don't seriously think this should happen, but it does demonstrate that Mack is still very well-regarded in Chapel Hill. He was literally our last decent football coach, as sad as that sounds, and always speaks about UNC and his time there in a positive manner. It doesn't take much to win over UNC football fans.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

There was literally zero chance that Muschamp will let go of Driskels turned-out back pocket.

I like the siege mentality in that article.

Meanwhile Richt said that playing with other than QBs than Mason in rotation during regular, non-garbage time was a possibility but didn't want to confirm anything as to not tip off future opponents.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

Meanwhile Richt said that playing with other than QBs than Mason in rotation during regular, non-garbage time was a possibility but didn't want to confirm anything as to not tip off future opponents.

Which basically he ended up confirming. :haw:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Brice Ramsey is legitimately better at everything than Mason is except Ramsey tends to overpower throws and throw the occasional lawndart.

He's going to be really good.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Brice Ramsey is legitimately better at everything than Mason is except Ramsey tends to overpower throws and throw the occasional lawndart.

He's going to be really good.

At least he can throw the ball over 15 yards not in a "hey let me lob this to my buddy in the backyard" kind of way.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

The Chosen One :allears:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

As much as I think Watson is the loving man, I kinda wish they'd cool it a bit with all of this. I don't really think it'll go to his head (he seems to be a pretty down to earth kid), but I just have a feeling it's going to be like Clowney's final year... He's going to be so built up that any sort of somewhat mediocre performance is just going to result in a massive shitstorm of criticism.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

every posted:

Apparently the refs hosed up the spot in Georgia's final drive by about 4 yards. Sorry Vols.

We were owed a spot call after USC.

Shoot, after last year's UT game, even. Never forget: "Defensive stomping" before a punt. The hell.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 1h1 hour ago posted:

Brady Hoke: "I just feel bad that Shane's had to go through this situation and been put in the middle of it." #Michigan

Yeah poor guy, having to go through this totally unavoidable situation that you definitely had no part in and absolutely couldn't have prevented. At least he'll probably have problems remembering it in a few years.

Also apparently ESPN reps are on campus today to see about possibly having Gameday at UCLA for the Oregon game, which would be cool.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm sure Mason knows the playbook and studies hard and makes good decisions in practice and blah blah blah, but that dude flat out does not have the arm strength to play college football a high level and seems terrified to throw the ball down field. They really need to think about making a change because right now everyone can just sell out against the run and the short passsing game. It works okay when Gurley is superhuman (and maybe he'll continue to be that all year) but it seems like a pretty severe limitation on their offense. They really need to think about making a switch, even if it means more mistakes and stuff like that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MourningView posted:

I'm sure Mason knows the playbook and studies hard and makes good decisions in practice and blah blah blah, but that dude flat out does not have the arm strength to play college football a high level and seems terrified to throw the ball down field. They really need to think about making a change because right now everyone can just sell out against the run and the short passsing game. It works okay when Gurley is superhuman (and maybe he'll continue to be that all year) but it seems like a pretty severe limitation on their offense. They really need to think about making a switch, even if it means more mistakes and stuff like that.

Yeah, but his first name is Hutson. You gotta respect that.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

MourningView posted:

No doubt. There were reports that after the Tennessee game he was experiencing arm pain and he only threw the ball 25 times. Maybe 3 or 4 of those throws were over 10-15 yards -- most were screens or very quick corner routes. In the fourth quarter, Tennessee basically put 9 men in the box, played our 2 WRs in man coverage and he couldn't do anything with it. The next month is all on the road and it terrifies me to enter with such a one dimensional offense. Like HOTLANTA MAN said, Brice can be a little goofy with his decision making at times, but at least he has the arm that forces the defense to respect the pass more.

edit:
I just looked this up, Hutson has 3 passes of 25 or more yards on the year and only 11 between 15 and 24 yards. Good god.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 30, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Texas-Baylor (yikes)
TAMU-Miss St
Stanford-ND
Bama-Ole Miss
Oklahoma-TCU
Nebraska-Michigan St
LSU-Auburn
Texas Tech-Kansas St
Arizona St-USC
Florida-Tennessee
Iowa State-Okie Lite

WSU-Cal is gonna be a loving monster shootout, air raid vs air raid

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

MourningView posted:

It works okay when Gurley is superhuman (and maybe he'll continue to be that all year) but it seems like a pretty severe limitation on their offense.

Having a team sell out to stack the box and gang tackle Gurley is a recipe for him getting hurt again. As good as Chubb and Michel (who doesn't need a surgery for his injury but is still out 4-6 weeks minimum), Gurley is just Gurley and he can totally change a game within a play or two. The guy is used to the team being put on his back and if he is out, I don't know if we have anyone else on our offense that can really cary us. We are (probably) getting Justin Scott-Wesley back this week, maybe Malcom Mitchell too if he feels good throughout practices, but having a balls fast wideout does nothing if you can't throw a pass more than 3 yards downfield. I sort of find it hilarious that some fans thought of Mason as the anointed one (literal quote from a fat as gently caress redneck behind me at a game last year) and he is simply meh.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Mason sucks, and I will never get over the fact that there was a non-zero portion of the UGA fanbase who was bitching for him to come into the Clemson game last season when Murray had a rough start to the second half. These people need to watch every noodle-rear end, poorly communicated Mason throw with their eyes forced open a la Clockwork Orange.

For the first time all year, Richt has made it seem like the QB situation isn't cut and dry. If Mason doesn't rock and roll against Vanderbilt, then you might eventually see a change, or split time, or something.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Actually, scratch that. I've already tried to explain how hosed up Mason's communications with his WRs are- guys like Michael Bennett who have been in the system for five years- and the talking points from Cobb County Hutson-is-Jesusland are that the WRs are trying to sabotage dear Mason or whatever.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Poor Aaron Murray was like Richt-era Georgia Football personified. Really good the entire time he was there and never properly appreciated.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Dave Brandon is not having a very good week.

http://www.michigandaily.com/news/student-petition-calls-schlissel-remove-athletic-director-dave-brandon

quote:

A University student petition calling for Athletic Director Dave Brandon to be relieved from his post has collected 5,429 signatures as of 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Additionally, commenters on MGoBlog.com have been organizing a Fire Dave Brandon rally on the Diag Tuesday evening at 6 p.m.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

Poor Aaron Murray was like Richt-era Georgia Football personified. Really good the entire time he was there and never properly appreciated.

Mark Richt may be underappreciated by their fans, but it's quite a stretch to say Georgia Football is perennially underrated.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's getting worse:

Congressman urges Big Ten to investigate Michigan concussion

quote:

A U.S. Congressman wants Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany to investigate why Michigan returned injured quarterback Shane Morris into last Saturday's game despite signs of a concussion.

Rep. Bill Pascrell Jr. (D-N.J.) sent a letter Tuesday to Delany seeking an investigation and for the Big Ten to establish penalties for violations of concussion protocols. Pascrell is co-chair of the Congressional Brain Injury Caucus.

I strongly urge you to investigate the circumstances surrounding Shane Morris's injury and the decision to return him to play, Pascrell wrote in a letter released by his office. Additionally, I ask that you reexamine the protocols in place and determine what changes can be made to improve them. I also urge you to establish penalties for violations of concussion protocols. Every concussion is brain damage and must be diagnosed and treated by appropriate medical personnel, who prioritize players' health, safety, and well-being.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Jail Dave Brandon

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Pascrell is co-chair of the Congressional Brain Injury Caucus

So I never knew this existed

does this guy work on voting rights for injured brains or what

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Someone is getting fired and that is arousing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

VDay posted:

Yeah poor guy, having to go through this totally unavoidable situation that you definitely had no part in and absolutely couldn't have prevented. At least he'll probably have problems remembering it in a few years.

Or, you know, this whole situation might have quieted down a bit if Brady Hoke had marched out there yesterday and taken any ownership for anything whatsoever (whether he thought it was his fault or not).

That seems like something a "Michigan Man" would do to take heat off of his players, don't you think?

• Locked thread