Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Haven't looked at much at all for TEW, prefer to go into games cold for the most part. God RE4 was marvelous, suplexing cultists was ballin' as hell. The chainsaw always scared me when you could hear it in the room somewhere but couldn't see it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

cat doter posted:

Evil Within at least has a chance with an auteur at the top, but Dead Space is probably the last AAA horror game that wasn't complete rear end. I don't really count The Last of Us because it's neither horror nor survival, it's an action game with its resources balanced towards conservation rather than spraying and praying.

I think the part that a lot of developers mess up is, oddly enough, the save systems. Modern games are so addicted to checkpoints and auto saves that even if a AAA studio makes a horror game, they have to use checkpoints. I think supply constrained saves at a few safe spots are integral to making a truly scary survival horror, otherwise you lose the fear of mortality and when you die that section of the game loses all of its punch. Repeating a section until you get it right isn't really conducive to horror.

Your points seem contradictory to each other. A limited save system that makes dying a threat is threatening because there's the risk that you'll lose a ton of progress when you die, but then you say that repeating a section until you get it right isn't conducive to horror? Presuming the same game with either a checkpoint or a limited save system, wouldn't the former imply that you repeat more content?

Perhaps the issue is not so much that you prefer a limited save system, but that games with limited save systems are usually more conservative with their instant kill attacks because it'll cause the player to repeat more content. This in turn leads to more of a sense of attrition and dwindling resources which is good for building tension.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

EmmyOk posted:

Haven't looked at much at all for TEW, prefer to go into games cold for the most part. God RE4 was marvelous, suplexing cultists was ballin' as hell. The chainsaw always scared me when you could hear it in the room somewhere but couldn't see it yet.

Yeah, if TEW is as much fun as RE4 than I'll be happy. If it manages to be spookier than RE4 was then I'll be double happy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

People thought Resident Evil 4 was scary? I mean it's a fantastic action game but the horror just didn't work at all for me. :confused:

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yes, yes we did.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I thought it had some honestly tense sections. The first time I ran into the tentacle wolves genuinely wigged me out a bit, I had to hide in the boat and harpoon them to death. That was a while ago, of course, and I got over it pretty quick, but still, it was a very atmospheric game.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
It was just... bizarre at that time. Spanish cannibals and hooded cultists in underground caverns, wookie tree villages and medieval castles? So freaky. We fear what we can not comprehend. Couldn't they just make it take place in a spooky hospital or highschool or something?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's part of what made it so special, though, the whole Hammer Horror aesthetic.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Xoidanor posted:

People thought Resident Evil 4 was scary? I mean it's a fantastic action game but the horror just didn't work at all for me. :confused:

It started out really scary, yeah. But as I got really good with the controls and used to the world it became a straight up action game with a cheesy horror movie aesthetic, which I'm also expecting will happen with Evil Within. That works for me, though; It's like a gameified version of the turning point in a lot of horror movies, where the last character alive finally accepts the situation and changes from victim to opponent.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Brackhar posted:

Your points seem contradictory to each other. A limited save system that makes dying a threat is threatening because there's the risk that you'll lose a ton of progress when you die, but then you say that repeating a section until you get it right isn't conducive to horror? Presuming the same game with either a checkpoint or a limited save system, wouldn't the former imply that you repeat more content?

Perhaps the issue is not so much that you prefer a limited save system, but that games with limited save systems are usually more conservative with their instant kill attacks because it'll cause the player to repeat more content. This in turn leads to more of a sense of attrition and dwindling resources which is good for building tension.

I think there's also the sense that you can't just stop, pause, and catch your bearings wherever. You have to keep crawling forward until you've almost made it to one of the few places where you know you're safe.

That's the fun, tense part, not actually having to redo that section seven more times.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Haha I just remembered that AvP 2001 limited you to five saves per level.
That game was basically a perfect horror experience.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

YES! RE4 has some gory deaths but I just cracked up laughing when that happened to me because it was on like my billionth playthrough of the game and I had never seen it before. I think it's only possible when your life is at 1/3 or less?

woodenchicken posted:

The vanilla 1999 release limited you...to NONE. :3: The coolest thing about that game was how the the enemy placement was randomized JUST ENOUGH that you had to be super careful every time you played.

Resident Evil 4 definitely starts out pretty tense and is legit. It's, in my opinion, nuanced in how expertly knowledgeable the developers are of the themes and tropes of Italian exploitation movies from the 80s and how they would so effortlessly cram homages from a ton of different sources into one whole. It's literally what one of those movies would be if the film's director was given a a hundred million dollars and not like $100,000.

On top of that, I love that RE4 has an Alien 3 section. Like it's not a section where a creature that looks like the Alien chases you. It's a section where the soundtrack and lighting are suddenly in imitation of Alien 3 and everything and you can defeat the enemy by shattering it. Also the woman impaled with the pitchfork followed by you vaulting over knee high obstacles as a village full of crazies starts storming after you, I mean it CAN'T be coincidence.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I've never played a Resident Evil game, outside of the PC demo of 1, but I keep hearing a lot about RE 4. Would that be a good one to start with? The HD remake is up on Steam, and I'm thinking of getting it.

Also the Evil Within recommended system requirements were talked about not long ago, apparently giving out minimum reqs isn't their "thing": http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/25/the-evil-within-system-requirements-demand-some-serious-hardware/

quote:

i7 with four plus cores
4 GBs RAM
50 GB of hard drive space*
GeForce GTX 670 or equivalent with 4GBs of VRAM
4 GBs of VRAM huh

Hopefully the video settings won't be rear end and will actually let you tweak things, I'm not replacing my GeForce 650 Ti Boost 2 GB until dies. I got it for a steal right before it sold out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I've never played a Resident Evil game, outside of the PC demo of 1, but I keep hearing a lot about RE 4. Would that be a good one to start with? The HD remake is up on Steam, and I'm thinking of getting it.
The plot is intentionally more or less completely divorced from everything that came before it, so you can play it perfectly well without missing out on much of anything except for a few references to older characters and events. Just be aware that it's not really a survival horror game in the same vein as the rest of the series, so it won't give you a good idea what the other ones are like.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Also the Evil Within recommended system requirements were talked about not long ago, apparently giving out minimum reqs isn't their "thing": http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/25/the-evil-within-system-requirements-demand-some-serious-hardware/

4 GBs of VRAM huh

Hopefully the video settings won't be rear end and will actually let you tweak things, I'm not replacing my GeForce 650 Ti Boost 2 GB until dies. I got it for a steal right before it sold out.

This just gives me the feeling that it's going to be unoptimized as poo poo.
Apparently since the Xbone and PS4 architecture is pretty similar to PC, developers seem to think a bare minimum low effort port with no optimization or acceptable, sadly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So is Among the Sleep any good or is it one of those games where the concept is way cooler than the actual game ends up being?

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

The vanilla 1999 release limited you...to NONE. :3:
Aah, sure, I just played so much of the demos, the beta and the full version that I don't remember which rules which version had. Man, that game just kept you on your toes at all times, didn't it. Weirdly enough, at the higher difficulty level the Predator was weaker than the Marine, because the latter could stretch his ammo a bit longer. Never managed to 100% it as the Predator.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

This just gives me the feeling that it's going to be unoptimized as poo poo.
Apparently since the Xbone and PS4 architecture is pretty similar to PC, developers seem to think a bare minimum low effort port with no optimization or acceptable, sadly.

I'm also betting it's not going to be quite that demanding, most "minimum requirement" specs seem to be aimed at protecting the asses of the publishers than anything else. If you don't meet the minimum and it doesn't work, well, then that's all your fault for not upgrading. What's what, you did meet the requirements? Well then maybe you just had some bad luck, wait until the day one patch!

I recently bought Dead Rising 2 and at least one of my components doesn't meet "minimum" requirements (I have a GeForce 660 instead of the 670 it recommends) and yet it runs perfectly fine at 1080p with most features on and everything set to the highest quality. But I probably got lucky, that game was horribly optimized on release.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

woodenchicken posted:

Didn't the aliens actually hunt you throughout the level? Like, they started in a random location and would then track you down?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Yes but it's not as cool as you're making it sound.. It's just an enemy who always knows where you are. That game did loving own insanely hard though. I forgot how scary the Marine campaign was.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009

cat doter posted:

....Repeating a section until you get it right isn't really conducive to horror.

Brackhar posted:

[A limited save system] is threatening because there's the risk that you'll lose a ton of progress when you die

[less instant kill attacks] leads to more of a sense of attrition and dwindling resources which is good for building tension.

The Bee posted:

I think there's also the sense that you can't just stop, pause, and catch your bearings wherever. You have to keep crawling forward until you've almost made it to one of the few places where you know you're safe.

Tension and limited resources help, but they arent't horror per se. What we're looking for is fear of the unknown, plus a certain degree of helplessness. Original Dead Space does this with terrifying new monsters called "necromorphs," which don't die even if you shoot off their heads.

Ideally, what you want to shoot for is almost dying. Not having checkpoints every 15 feet doesn't automatically mean you die a lot. If you blast through an area and there's zero tension because you slaughter all comers with ease, that doesn't generate horror. Likewise if you keep dying and start to get used to the monsters, anticipate the creepy sound effects and memorize spawn points, that also sucks out the horror. What you want is baby bear's golden mean, where the threat is real, but not to the point of frustration.

PT shows that you can die, sparingly, and not have it detract from the experience. It's plenty tense even without any resources to dwindle, other than the player's attention span.

The ghost in Evil Within tries to do this, and gets it half right. Fear of the unknown, check, helplessness, check. But once you've seen it a few times, and you learn to just chug a potion, it goes from horrifying to annoying.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Xoidanor posted:

Resident Evil is a pretty drat good horror game because it focuses so much on atmosphere and tension. It's not a scary game by any huge stretch but I'll be damned if they didn't know how to make you constantly on edge.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

RE4 owned because it was basically The Wicker Man X Escape From New York.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
All three Leon games are the best in the main series. :v:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Neo Rasa posted:

Agreed, one of the many reasons RE4 is so amazing* is because of how perfectly balanced the combat is. There's save points you have to reach before you stop playing, though they're not to rare and the game will give you checkpoints within a session. They also make Leon kind of a glass canon, especially on a first play through since killing the enemies is not the difficult part of combat. The combat's challenge is more about positioning and situational awareness as there are several enemy types that can kill you with one hit,** if you don't hear the chainsaw revving up you'll probably get decapitated from behind, etc. Last of Us made good on this and while I know "technically" it's more of a third person shooter I still think of it as a great evolution of RE4's basic structure.

Dead Space 1 and 2 are about as much horror as System Shock 2, like I do consider them horror games even if the primary form of interaction with the environment is destroying hordes of monsters. The relative fragility of the main character, I feel, plays more of a part in the tension than the actual number of enemies defeated. I feel like both DS1 and 2 toed that line successfully, 3 is just crap though, even as an action game.

*It's notable that the best horror games recently, Dead Space and Last of Us, both cribbed heavily from RE4.

**The best one of these will always be the boomerang scythe decapitation because it's so rare and ridiculously out of nowhere compared to any of the others, I can't even find it on Youtube to show it.

Re4 straight up makes the game easier whenever you die.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

Re4 straight up makes the game easier whenever you die.

Yes, and harder as you do well, it's balanced just right to me though (which makes sense since they tweaked it slightly with each port).

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Doctor Goat posted:

All three Leon games are the best in the main series. :v:

I would be fine if the last RE game ever made was just a blatant copy of "I Am Legend"

Every human on the planet is dead except Leon, and the BOWs have evolved to the point where they are starting to form their own civilization.

Leon would keep on killing them in an endless war, but would slowly come to the realization that it's their world now and in their eyes - he is the real crazed monster....

Then he would keep suplexing the poo poo out them, because, gently caress them.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So in other news, an old horror game got translated.

http://www.memoriesoffear.com/games_peretemherufortheprisoners/index.html

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

RightClickSaveAs posted:

You could also wait for the HD REmake coming to Steam pretty soon. It's probably one of the best, highest quality games I've ever played.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's pretty fun to play RE1 and REmake side by side, to compare how different or similar they are. Capcom did an admirable job of reproducing the original content.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Cardiovorax posted:

It's pretty fun to play RE1 and REmake side by side, to compare how different or similar they are. Capcom did an admirable job of reproducing the original content.

They also did a commendable job of making it scary again. Resident Evil is the definition of cheese, the Remake has a few gimmicks that add to the "oh poo poo!" factor.

Regardless, you should definitely play Resident Evil 4 because it is one of the greatest games ever made.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
At the time of its release, everyone talked about how scary Resident Evil 1 was. It was always some variation of "Man Resident Evil scared the poo poo out of me when those dogs jumped through the window!" Then in REmake, they mess with your expectations a bit during that part... It was loving brilliant.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It scared the poo poo out of me when it came out, but then again I was like 9. :v: Seriously, though, I never made it past the first zombie. I just couldn't find the right button to raise my gun and got eaten horribly.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Macaluso posted:

So is Among the Sleep any good or is it one of those games where the concept is way cooler than the actual game ends up being?

I would say give it a miss, it's one of those very basic 'walk from point a to b while poo poo happens' type of scary game.

Speaking of that, yesterday I played Neverending Nightmares. On the whole, I preferred Knock Knock as it felt a lot more cryptic and surreal. NN felt more like a flash game, especially when you're looking into the cells in the hospital, and a face walks past WOAH.

I get the point was to feel like you're stuck in a repeating nightmare, but repeating the same environments again and again didn't make me dread walking it in the way they might have thought it would. I did only get one ending though, there's 4 levels that I missed, and usually I'm good for replaying games, but I don't really have a desire to go back to this one.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Cardiovorax posted:

The plot is intentionally more or less completely divorced from everything that came before it, so you can play it perfectly well without missing out on much of anything except for a few references to older characters and events. Just be aware that it's not really a survival horror game in the same vein as the rest of the series, so it won't give you a good idea what the other ones are like.
Sounds good, I'll pick it up around Halloween probably. Hopefully there will be a big horror game sale again this year.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You could also wait for the HD REmake coming to Steam pretty soon. It's probably one of the best, highest quality games I've ever played.
Oh I had that mixed up with the RE 4 HD remake. Yeah playing the original in updated form sounds great, I only ever did the demo. Steam is still giving the release date as "2015" though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Here's what you need to know going into Resident Evil 4you don't really need to know this stuff, but if you want to know the only relevant things left, here they are!:

Leon Kennedy once survived a zombie outbreak. The details are unnecessary but needless to say he kicked a lot of rear end doing it. Notable characters during Resident Evil 2: Claire Redfield, Chris's sister. Sherry Birkin, the daughter of the main bad guy in Resident Evil 2, who was only a little girl at the time. And Ada Wong, mysterious government agent in a sexy red dress that Leon wants to bang. Ada betrays Leon and falls off a catwalk near the end of the game but it's implied that Leon would have banged her anyway.

That's pretty much it. Every other plot device is tossed aside.

edit: vv Except that one. Wesker is a guy from the first game who is a bad guy. He has superpowers now because of a virus.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 1, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also Wesker is around, having decided to sit around in his Dr. Claw chair all day and collect viruses.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Here's what you need to know going into Resident Evil 4:

The details are unnecessary

RE4 was the first Resident Evil I ever played, knowing nothing about anything in the entire series, and it's one of my top 10 games of all time.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Macaluso posted:

It's worth a look if you're jonesing hard for some Amnesia-esque horror and you've already played Outlast, but it's short and not particularly novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zombie Samurai posted:

RE4 was the first Resident Evil I ever played, knowing nothing about anything in the entire series, and it's one of my top 10 games of all time.

Well then you don't know what's relevant and what's not then do you? :colbert: Still, you're right, the way the game is presented it doesn't really require you to know anything about the previous games other than there were zombies.