Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

TheReverend posted:

I'll get a bee brush! Thanks!

I've always had better luck just slamming the corner of each frame into the concrete (it's an urban hive). Knocks them all off at once and they seem less pissed than if I used my brush. Might require concrete or a block of wood or something. Ah, and one piece plastic frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Hey, beekeeper goons. I've been reading up on the subject in this thread, on reddit, in books (well, currently half a book so far.) in preparation for next year when I plan to start keeping a hive in the backyard. We have a fairly large vegetable garden with plans to expand it next year, and we think keeping bees would be a fun rewarding hobby to go alongside that. My neighbors all seem cool with it, and two of them are actually pretty excited. However, there is one wrench that might be thrown in those plans. How tolerant are bees of having the lawn mown around them? There are a few choices around me when it comes time to order the bees, and I'm planning on getting the calmest ones I can to avoid any problems with lawnmowers, my nerves when checking up on them, and with neighborhood kids. And I'm not really that concerned with getting any honey. If I do, hey, bonus! If I don't, well, at least the veggies are pollinated and I'm having fun. I just want nice, calm bees. My uncle keeps bees, but his are not on a lawn really, so he doesn't have much to say with experience to that. The next local beekeeper club meeting is in about a month and I plan to ask there as well. I just thought I'd get some goon opinions, experience and advice.

I've read on some forums that bees don't mind or that it will piss them off madly. And also, the lawnmower in question is a big, old, 48 inch monstrosity, is quite loud, and shakes the ground a bit. I know bees don't like vibrations much. I am probably fine, but there are enough people (though few) saying they were stung/chased while mowing that I figure it be safe to ask anyway. Also, to express my excitement that won't be fulfilled for another 8 months or so.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's a good idea to place the hive on a cleared patch or area where there's no lawn to cut. You won't want to be like trying to use a trimmer around the base of the hive or something. I'd say an area maybe five feet by five feet is fine.

Otherwise, you can mow. The bees will get more or less acclimated to the activity. Try not to walk right through the "bee lane" - you'll have bees bonking into you and they might not like the mower passing right past the entrance.

In the end if they can't tolerate the mower too close, you might have to use a quieter method (like a trimmer) for a yard or two of grass that's nearest the hive.

Since you have a garden, maybe there's a spot at the corner of your gardening area, rather than right on the lawn, where you can put your hive? It's great to have them kind of tucked up near a fence or side area so they're not right in the middle of the human activity going on in your yard.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 11, 2014

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hey, beekeeper goons. I've been reading up on the subject in this thread, on reddit, in books (well, currently half a book so far.) in preparation for next year when I plan to start keeping a hive in the backyard. We have a fairly large vegetable garden with plans to expand it next year, and we think keeping bees would be a fun rewarding hobby to go alongside that. My neighbors all seem cool with it, and two of them are actually pretty excited. However, there is one wrench that might be thrown in those plans. How tolerant are bees of having the lawn mown around them? There are a few choices around me when it comes time to order the bees, and I'm planning on getting the calmest ones I can to avoid any problems with lawnmowers, my nerves when checking up on them, and with neighborhood kids. And I'm not really that concerned with getting any honey. If I do, hey, bonus! If I don't, well, at least the veggies are pollinated and I'm having fun. I just want nice, calm bees. My uncle keeps bees, but his are not on a lawn really, so he doesn't have much to say with experience to that. The next local beekeeper club meeting is in about a month and I plan to ask there as well. I just thought I'd get some goon opinions, experience and advice.

I've read on some forums that bees don't mind or that it will piss them off madly. And also, the lawnmower in question is a big, old, 48 inch monstrosity, is quite loud, and shakes the ground a bit. I know bees don't like vibrations much. I am probably fine, but there are enough people (though few) saying they were stung/chased while mowing that I figure it be safe to ask anyway. Also, to express my excitement that won't be fulfilled for another 8 months or so.

Bees tend to exit the hive and go up. You can be standing 4ft away from the hive and be completely out of their flight path. I have a natural area that's mulched around my hives so I don't need worry about mowing directly on top of them. When I do mow with my 42" Snapper I run right by them <4' away and it doesn't seem to phase them. Every once in a blue moon I'll even have one crash into me coming in for a landing. I'm sure that's really disorienting for that bee, but it doesn't phase me.

Unrelated:

Talk to me about over winter super storage. How what do you guys keep supers around off the hive? Two years ago we had terrible wax moth damage and ended up throwing away most of the frames and starting over. Last year we used para-moth and plastic bins in the garage with some success. The bins we used didn't really fit and they weren't air tight. My garage is my shop/brewery and I don't really like smelling para-moth constantly. Just seems like there may be clever storage solutions out there we havn't considered.

Scale wise I'm looking at 2 mediums and 4 shallows.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

This is the layout of the yard. It's a bit odd, but there isn't really a place near the vegetable garden in a corner as there's a gate, house, or shed. I was thinking just above the tree (south side of the tree) where it'd get partial shade. There's a dead patch of grass there so it wouldn't be a big loss to put something down there or not really mow it too often.

And thanks for the reassurance

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!
I pull my riding mower as close as I can all the time and they don't care. Trimming doesn't bother them either. I did nearly bump one off though once getting a wheel too close.

I do plan on laying mulch under the hives next year so I don't have to trim under them.

emanonii
Jun 22, 2005

drewhead posted:

Talk to me about over winter super storage. How what do you guys keep supers around off the hive? Two years ago we had terrible wax moth damage and ended up throwing away most of the frames and starting over. Last year we used para-moth and plastic bins in the garage with some success.

If you have a chest freezer, freeze the whole super (frames and box) for at least 24 hours. That'll take care of everything.

This also works when pulling full honey supers but you can't extract the honey for a while.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

They never bothered me mowing the lawn except the one time I rode by with the mulcher pointed at them so it was shooting twigs and grass at their hive.

One of em stung me in the skull for that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We stored a bunch of frames in 20-gallon giant zip-loc bags. Make drat sure the zip is sealed and you're fine.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
My bees were bought in late April and were installed into a brand new hive easily enough. Admittedly the hive doesn't get enough sun where it is, but with a contentious neighbor beside me I felt a low visibility was preferable to optimal sun but complaints to the city and constant badgering.

I have tried to be mostly hands off of my bees but my latest inspection was not confidence inspiring. They have only drawn out about 6 or 7 frames and the way they draw the wax out is very frustrating as the only way to look at the frames would involve destroying their work.

Is the lack of maximum sun truly hampering them or is my colony weak for other reasons? And why is the comb being drawn in the way it is, and is there any way I can stop it?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Indolent Bastard posted:

My bees were bought in late April and were installed into a brand new hive easily enough. Admittedly the hive doesn't get enough sun where it is, but with a contentious neighbor beside me I felt a low visibility was preferable to optimal sun but complaints to the city and constant badgering.

I have tried to be mostly hands off of my bees but my latest inspection was not confidence inspiring. They have only drawn out about 6 or 7 frames and the way they draw the wax out is very frustrating as the only way to look at the frames would involve destroying their work.

Is the lack of maximum sun truly hampering them or is my colony weak for other reasons? And why is the comb being drawn in the way it is, and is there any way I can stop it?

That's a really a weak colony. Did you feed them to get them started? Are there signs on diseases and mites?

If you used plastic foundation, the bees will sometimes reject it and build their comb between the frames instead.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

ShotgunWillie posted:

That's a really a weak colony. Did you feed them to get them started? Are there signs on diseases and mites?

If you used plastic foundation, the bees will sometimes reject it and build their comb between the frames instead.

I did feed them for the first few months. Pollen patty and sugar water. And yes it is plastic foundation.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Indolent Bastard posted:

I did feed them for the first few months. Pollen patty and sugar water. And yes it is plastic foundation.

Your bees do not like plastic foundation. Some bees just don't. Switch to wax and they would have gone hog wild.

Chances are, though, based on the lack of population and construction that the hive swarmed or absconded earlier in the season. You can't inspect to check the brood, but if you did, I can't imagine you'd see much, or that it would be healthy.

Have you seen any other hives in your area? A healthy hive in a good spot should draw out that much comb in 1-2 weeks in the spring, with healthy food sources and a good queen.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

ShotgunWillie posted:

Your bees do not like plastic foundation. Some bees just don't. Switch to wax and they would have gone hog wild.

Chances are, though, based on the lack of population and construction that the hive swarmed or absconded earlier in the season. You can't inspect to check the brood, but if you did, I can't imagine you'd see much, or that it would be healthy.

Have you seen any other hives in your area? A healthy hive in a good spot should draw out that much comb in 1-2 weeks in the spring, with healthy food sources and a good queen.

I have not seen any other hives.

I was worried something was wrong...

So now what do I do?

E: I'm totally bummed out I feel like I let my bees down :(

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 18, 2014

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Harvested just over 42# yesterday from our two hives. Restarted this spring with packages so feeling pretty good about that amount.

Spun the spinner so hard yesterday that on the first go I threw out the comb from the frame. Never done that before, opps. Was a bit more gentle after that and had no more problems.

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
Your queen could suck, it happens. Check them out and see if there are any eggs or even brood. Also it looks like your spacing between the frames is not that great. Bees seem like they do weird things to the right spacing and it looks like the frames they are occupying are too close together

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Kick-Puncher posted:

Your queen could suck, it happens. Check them out and see if there are any eggs or even brood. Also it looks like your spacing between the frames is not that great. Bees seem like they do weird things to the right spacing and it looks like the frames they are occupying are too close together

No. Bad. Boo, hiss.

One of the most common mistakes I see new Beekeepers make is to try to evenly space out the frames to take up the entire hive body.

NO.

Frames from every single modern manufacturer are designed to be self spacing. That means when presses tightly together, they allow the bees to build full depth comb and allow for proper bee space between adjacent frames. If you don't have the frame side bars touching their neighbors, the bee space is too big and the bees will brace it. Having larger gaps on one or both sides of the hive body is much easier to deal with. If you do regular checks, like you should, you might have to clean up a little burr now and again, but it will be one frame, not all ten.

GOSH!

:bahgawd:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

ShotgunWillie posted:

No. Bad. Boo, hiss.

One of the most common mistakes I see new Beekeepers make is to try to evenly space out the frames to take up the entire hive body.

NO.

Frames from every single modern manufacturer are designed to be self spacing. That means when presses tightly together, they allow the bees to build full depth comb and allow for proper bee space between adjacent frames. If you don't have the frame side bars touching their neighbors, the bee space is too big and the bees will brace it. Having larger gaps on one or both sides of the hive body is much easier to deal with. If you do regular checks, like you should, you might have to clean up a little burr now and again, but it will be one frame, not all ten.

GOSH!

:bahgawd:

That's news to me. Thanks for the tip. I'll know for next season.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -