Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The main console menu seems to load faster, but maybe that was a result of putting stuff into folders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Spend a Benny and get an Apple TV or spend a few Andys and buy a Roku. I use my Wii U to kill fuckers in Mario Kart 8, everything else for Apple TV.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jsor posted:

Well, it doesn't have autoplay for one. On the PS3 it will let you select the next episode at the end of the current one. On the Wii U it just boots you out into the menu.

Oh yeah, that´s right. I can't believe I didn't notice that. :confused:
Well, I guess that means I haven't missed it, though I admit it is very convenient when the little one is watching Bob the Builder while I'm preparing dinner.
Anything else?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but the update also adds in the ability to prevent certain applications from appearing on the Quickstart menu. From what I noticed, this only applies to built-in stuff, not games, but I sorta' skimmed it. In any case, this means that Activity Log won't appear when you check it for 2 minutes if you don't want it to, and Health and Safety likewise won't appear that one time you accidentally tap it.

My only dream features now are the ability to pin a few specific games/applications to Quickstart and to enable/disable auto-power-down from the Home menu. And maybe some things I'm not thinking of, who knows.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

How is that even remotely a joke? Sometimes I question goon's general sense of humour.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Crawfish posted:

How is that even remotely a joke? Sometimes I question goon's general sense of humour.

:ughh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Crawfish posted:

There was some dude a while back saying that the gamepad screen ads were "sinister". Neowyrm and I found that incredibly funny, and he decided to lampoon that guy's post in relation to this new update.

HTH

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

oknope posted:

Okay I have labeled all my Wii U games, eshop purchases and virtual console games in different colored folders for easier accessibility.

I was worried this would be just like 3DS folders but goddamn is this a good update.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can't decide, should I do my folders by console or by game franchise, in alphabetical or chronological order?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

greatn posted:

I can't decide, should I do my folders by console or by game franchise, in alphabetical or chronological order?

By representory color of the main character. Red for Mario, pink for Kirby, etc.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Well of course not, what would you put in them? #owned #nintendo #sony

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nintendo do what sony... don'y? I'm sorry

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Nintendo Shall what Playstayshan't.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 30, 2014

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGeYt8ONxxA

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Bayonetta comes on its own disc in the US, right? I bought Tropical Freeze last night on the eshop because I had $15 in credit, but now I won't have space for a digital version of Bayo1.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

greatn posted:

I have an orange folder for games bought via eShop, a red folder for NES games, a gray folder for SNES games, and a purple folder for GBA games. Then just arrange those however. Organization is fun.

Meanwhile, I can't even sort any of the PS3 games I downloaded in alphabetical order and it drives me crazy. :spergin:

They need to update folders on the 3DS. Lemme color code them and also show more than the first character, Nintendo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

greatn posted:

In order of quality.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

greatn posted:

Sort folders alphabetically by franchise, sort games within folders chronologically. :waycool:

EDIT: stray games by console

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Polo-Rican posted:

Nintendo Shall what Playstayshan't.

Playstashuns. :cmon:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I have my VC titles set up by system, to which they just get thrown in there in any order. I have a folder labeled "Finished" that is for Wii U games that, obviously, I have finished, and the remaining Wii U games that I have not finished sit on the first page in the order I bought them.

My second page has the Wii icon, a folder for "Utilities" which is just all of the non-game system stuff, and a folder for "Video" which just contains all of the streaming video apps.

Just putting it out there so that people can get all OCD on my set up.

Edit: I also took all of the icons off of the quick start menu with the exception of the eShop.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

One question I ask because I won't be home for a while to test myself, and one really dumb question coming up:

1) If I put a game into a folder, can I then move it out of the folder without having to delete the folder or anything?

2) I downloaded the W101 demo a while ago, then deleted it. However, it still shows up on the little slots "minigame" when I launch the eShop. Is there a way to make it stop showing up?

Son of Isaac
Apr 22, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

1) If I put a game into a folder, can I then move it out of the folder without having to delete the folder or anything?

Hold the game icon down, drag it to the bottom on the Wii U tablet, then on to another space.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Uhh...oh crap, DKC: Tropical Freeze is 11GB. Does anyone have recommendations on what to do re: external storage?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Jetfire posted:

Uhh...oh crap, DKC: Tropical Freeze is 11GB. Does anyone have recommendations on what to do re: external storage?

Go to amazon, search 2 TB external HDD and pick the one that you want.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kaubocks posted:

If you move a game out of a folder, all of your games become Pikmin3

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Leofish posted:

You know what would be a thing I wish companies would do? When they update their EULAs for whatever reason, it'd be nice if they'd highlight or point out what changed. I know why they don't, but I'm always curious about EULA changes and updates.

The latest for the Nintendo Network Services Agreement, which updated today on the Wii U (and 3DS I assume but I didn't see an update yet), adds a few tweaks to sentences, and that's usually all it is when they change things. The main one, I think, at least according to the NNSA that's on Nintendo's website, still dated Sept. 30, 2013, is adding, under Use of Information, the following, "We may collect, use and disclose personal information that (a) you provide to us; (b) we collect automatically; and (c) we receive from other sources."

They also added a phrase under Network Services saying if you access Nintendo Network services outside of the US, Canada or certain other countries in the Americas, or if you set your console region as one of those countries, you are bound by the agreement.

There's been plenty of talk on the web about how Nintendo has given itself the right to use anything you do, say, or publish using one of their devices for whatever purpose they want forever, but that hasn't changed. You still "own your user content", as per the agreement, but they can still use your Miiverse posts or screencaps in advertisements or whatever if they want.

Of course, I still hit Agree. There are games to play.

Sometimes using actual Miiverse posts in lieu of ones made by employees or whatever in their official stuff leads to weird stuff popping up like this one around the nine second mark.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That seems a little excessive

Like even 1TB is way too much

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Help Im Alive posted:

That seems a little excessive

Like even 1TB is way too much

Yeah, I've just been using a 64GB flash drive and it works fine.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've got a 1TB drive, I've used about 250 gigs so far. 2TB ones these days are about $5 more so really there's no reason not to get one that big.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Note: They have to have their own separate power source and can't be powered via USB.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Kaubocks posted:

2) I downloaded the W101 demo a while ago, then deleted it. However, it still shows up on the little slots "minigame" when I launch the eShop. Is there a way to make it stop showing up?

Look for and delete it's save data, maybe?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Louisgod posted:

Note: They have to have their own separate power source and can't be powered via USB.

Extra note: they don't need a separate power source if you use a USB Y-cord to draw extra power from a second USB port.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Trent posted:

If you move a game out of a folder, all of your games become Pikmin3

A FATE WORSE THAN DEATH

Not a Children posted:

Look for and delete it's save data, maybe?

Good idea. I'll try it when I get home.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Jetfire posted:

I bought this 500GB Western Digital external drive and this Y-Cable for it just recently. Works perfectly for me.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I went out and bought Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze because I'm hearing from literally everywhere that it's pretty much the best thing ever, and it turns out I'm loving terrible at it. I died 6 times on the first boss, the roller coaster level took my 14 tries to get all the KONG pieces, and I still haven't gotten the last puzzle piece, which I'm convinced will unlock the level directly north to it on the map. Is this just a really loving hard game or am I the problem?

Also sometimes when I jump on enemies I bounce really high and other times I hardly bounce at all, what's up with that? I initially thought it was pressing jump when I hit them, but whenever I try and do it that it doesn't seem to work.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Tropical Freeze is a tough game, you gotta put in work to finish it.
Bouncing off enemies requires you to press and hold the jump button before hitting an enemy, you can't just hold it and bounce off multiple targets, you have to re-press it each time

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Puzzle pieces only unlock concept art
Collect all kong letters to unlock the level

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Davinci posted:

and I still haven't gotten the last puzzle piece, which I'm convinced will unlock the level directly north to it on the map.

The puzzle pieces aren't required for unlocking anything except for concept art stuff. You have to get all the kong letters in each world for the temple levels and there are hidden exits in some levels for the secret stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

.TakaM posted:

Tropical Freeze is a tough game, you gotta put in work to finish it.
Bouncing off enemies requires you to press and hold the jump button before hitting an enemy, you can't just hold it and bounce off multiple targets, you have to re-press it each time

This explains everything I was doing wrong. Thanks.

• Locked thread