Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Just buy some popcorn for the troops you bum!

Hell no. When I was a kid I had to go out into the river in the middle of the winter for 8 hours and dig up clams/oysters for money.

not joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Hell no. When I was a kid I had to go out into the river in the middle of the winter for 8 hours and dig up clams/oysters for money.

not joking.

Hey, we did that too! My parents called it "vacation," haha. But they were both unemployed.

I still remember being like four and hauling this sled full of buckets of clams and my baby sister across the low tide beach. It was really wet and cold but I had a lot of fun racing my dad. :unsmith:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I liked it when I was a kid because my dad made it fun and he also made really good money doing it on the side. It started to suck when I turned 12 and it became real work that I just didn't want to do. I kept thinking about how all my friends were enjoying their summers and meeting girls while I was standing waist deep in disgusting river water. Not to mention every now and then a yacht would haul rear end past us and create a giant wake that would rock the boat so hard that people's clams would get thrown back into the river. :argh:

That's when I became a leftist.

edit: The other thing that sucks was that my dad had noble reasons for forcing me to do it. "Son, I lost my job once and doing this kept your mom and I afloat until I found a better one and the same could happen to you. If you learn how to do this you'll never have to worry about anything" but now the market has been flooded by commercial people that use dredges that strip mine the rivers and lowerd the price of clams/oysters so much the average guy can't make a living doing it anymore.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 24, 2014

John Kelly
Nov 19, 2004

I'm just sayin', I don't like fun
Taco Defender
I just got notice from my landlord that they are selling the building I rent in to make more condos. I now have 60 days to find a new place which so happens to be the busiest time of year for my work. The good news is that I shouldn't dip into my savings too much although my goal of saving for a new car is going to wait a month or two because of this. I really liked this building too :(

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

John Kelly posted:

I just got notice from my landlord that they are selling the building I rent in to make more condos. I now have 60 days to find a new place which so happens to be the busiest time of year for my work. The good news is that I shouldn't dip into my savings too much although my goal of saving for a new car is going to wait a month or two because of this. I really liked this building too :(

Are they allowed to just kick you out like that? Did they buy your lease out or anything?

If you're in the U.S. several states have renter's protection laws that keep landlords from just kicking people out if they have a lease that's not in default.

John Kelly
Nov 19, 2004

I'm just sayin', I don't like fun
Taco Defender
My lease ended this month and the rental company was reluctant for me to sign a new one when I asked. Since it moved to a month-to-month it's well within the law. The area where the building is located in is a mixture of high end houses/rentals where construction is booming (5 projects in the neighborhood alone). Standard operating procedure here is to demolish the building and build an awful looking building on the land. I'm not too surprised that the owner took whatever money offered by a developer.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just dropped $225 on craigslist for a 45 lb olympic barbell and 395 lbs of iron weights, and another 65 on amazon for a flat bench to go with the squat rack I built last month out of wood and concrete (for 35 bucks).

I neeeeeeeeded it, I have already outgrown the lovely weight set I got off of craigslist for $25 dollars. That bar was a hollow pipe I need real tools.

Gotta get swole. I'm $350 into this hobby already and I think I'm pretty much set for the next year at this point. Least I'm gonna sell the lovely weight set to a friend of mine and get my $25 bucks back later this week.

I'm good now right??? :shepspends:

Edit: My poor civic didn't have any shocks left with all this nonsense in the trunk.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 28, 2014

HystericFactor
Aug 30, 2003
It's time for dim sum.
Clapping Larry
The return on investment of those weights in health and fitness benefits is well worth what you paid. You get to use them basically forever since they'll never break. Awesome move.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I did the math and it was like 50 cents a pound including the bar. And the bar is really nice.

NO REGRETS.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

That's the equivalent of only 10 months' membership at a reasonably priced gym and they will likely last forever. Free weights are an awesome investment if you have the space.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Pretty stoked y'all. We just paid off my wife's student loans in FULL using a combination of our funds. It hasn't quite sunk in yet but we are now absolutely debt free! Pretty good way to start off our marriage I'd say. Now I just need to figure out some sort of money generating hobby and I'll be even happier about our financial situation.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Iron Lung posted:

Pretty stoked y'all. We just paid off my wife's student loans in FULL using a combination of our funds. It hasn't quite sunk in yet but we are now absolutely debt free! Pretty good way to start off our marriage I'd say. Now I just need to figure out some sort of money generating hobby and I'll be even happier about our financial situation.

Congratulations! Getting rid of student loan debt must be the best feeling ever, I love when people post about it because I'm getting closer and closer to paying mine off. Another congrats on the marriage :)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The box of Stella hiding out makes that photo.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

Pretty sure that is Rotella.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Nocheez posted:

Pretty sure that is Rotella.

Was looking at it very small on a phone, so couldn't tell. That's rather disappointing.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

:lol: yeah it's rotella t motor oil. I use it in my motorcycle.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I did the math and it was like 50 cents a pound including the bar. And the bar is really nice.

NO REGRETS.

Its hard to find stuff below $1 a pound around here, so you did a good job.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Just paid off the last of my student loans!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Iron Lung posted:

crimedog posted:

Just paid off the last of my student loans!

Nice Job guys.

Cross Post for the goals thread to keep people motivated to pay them off, here is my year so far:

quote:

On the big ole student loan goal we have paid $32,323 which is a principle reduction of $29,816. Based on minimum that we pay a month we will end up $1,500 over our goal of $35,000. drat do I hate student loans.

My wife said she gets a monthly student loan payment to buy clothes or whatever once we knock them out, it is $1400 and I said sure you can!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna buy a $100 watch that I don't need in the US that sells for $350 here to help finance my vacation :shepspends:

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Gonna buy a $100 watch that I don't need in the US that sells for $350 here to help finance my vacation :shepspends:

If you can buy something for x then sell it for 3.5x then you should probably buy at least 10

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

NO REGRETS.

I did this a year ago. We got a really great deal on weights, a power rack and a adjustable bench. The only issue was that the only place we had for all that was in our living room and it took up a ton of space. The good thing is that since you got such a good deal if you ever decide to quit/switch to a gym you'll get your money back or more.

mobby_6kl posted:

My wife and I financed her trip back to Peru by buying a couple laptops off newegg and then selling them for a premium to buyers (friends of friends) we lined up in her home country. Apparently electronics and games (especially games, which is why everyone pirates them out there) are really expensive in South America.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 1, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I bought this thing that will apparently let me hardboil and egg in the microwave. It was only like 15 bucks and had good reviews.

edit: dbl post my bad.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 3, 2014

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I've got a friend who takes camera equipment when he travels and sells it on MercadoLibre in Chile. He's knowledgeable about what is good, and what's not, and makes over a grand of profit every time he goes. He mostly does it to pay for his ticket.

When my brother went down to Peru recently, he stuck his Xbox 360 in his luggage, and sold it on Craigslist in Lima.

The biggest issue (and the reason you could get taxed), is if the stuff you're carrying in looks brand new, in box, and they figure it is for resale. So you want to unpack/open things up, so you can pass them off as your own personal property.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just spent 3k on holiday flights home. gently caress YOU AIR CANADA. gently caress YOU.

Upside is that I now have enough aeroplan points to fly to basically anywhere on Earth. Except Halifax, which costs 3x as many points as Nairobi.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I bought this thing that will apparently let me hardboil and egg in the microwave. It was only like 5 bucks and had good reviews.

edit: dbl post my bad.

Good buy, hard boiling an egg on a stove is an intense culinary task of the highest difficulty, right up there with making rice and roasting potatoes. :v:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Well, the scary thing is my wife has told me some horror stories about Lima so I always worry when she goes over there loaded down with expensive electronics. Thankfully she's lucky and her family is upper middle class so she's usually in a decent area or with friends.

tuyop posted:

Good buy, hard boiling an egg on a stove is an intense culinary task of the highest difficulty, right up there with making rice and roasting potatoes. :v:

No stove at work buddy :)

:shepface: :spergin: Also a microwave uses much less energy than the stove so the thing will pay for itself after a year :spergin: :shepface:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 1, 2014

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I bought RT tickets to Chile earlier this month via https://www.exploretrip.com . That site is pretty barebones. They do not hold your hand.

But apparently it's legit. The prices were better than I could find on Kayak (or any of the other sites), and I spent like 3 days trying to buy tickets. Kayak/Orbitz would show a rate, and I'd go through the entire checkout process, including entering my CC number, and then they'd say the fare was no longer available. Did this repeatedly for multiple fares. I was even trying to buy more expensive ones, until I found out about exploretrip.

They have some bad reviews, but I think it's people who try to change their trip and are upset about getting charged, or they don't understand how this process works. Explore Trip pretty much just gives you your ticket numbers via email, and that's all they'll do. You have to check in with the airlines.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

My wife and I financed her trip back to Peru by buying a couple laptops off newegg and then selling them for a premium to buyers (friends of friends) we lined up in her home country. Apparently electronics and games (especially games, which is why everyone pirates them out there) are really expensive in South America.

Yeah, same poo poo here. The only problem is I don't have anyone lining up for the watch yet. So there's a bit of a risk, but I'm sure it'll sell eventually and with a margin like that I have some headroom. I'd buy 10 of them but then I'd be risking getting busted at the customs :D.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Man that egg thing is pretty sweet. I put in a little water, added 4 eggs, shoved it in the microwave, walked away for 8 minutes, browsed the Internet, ding, and blammo 4 perfect hard boiled eggs.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 2, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Man that egg thing is pretty sweet. I put in a little water, added 4 eggs, walked away for 8 minutes, browsed the Internet, ding, and blammo 4 perfect hard boiled eggs.

Which one did you get? I'm now interested.

Please don't ridicule me. :ohdear:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Microwave-Egg-Boiler/dp/B0007M2BN0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412287890&sr=8-2&keywords=egg+microwave

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 2, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

This has opened my mind to the eggcelent world of eggzotic cookware! I feel like my thoughts were so scrambled before.

Imma-let the whole world know about this.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Sounds cool but the only time I'd use it (despite eating lots of eggs) is when I make deviled eggs. Which is almost never.

Also, couldn't you just put some eggs in a tupperware container with water instead?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
They explode.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Thanks, I'm buying one. For some reason I thought the microwave made things rubbery. It may have been from a childhood experiment when I tried to make a fried egg in the microwave, blegh. I hate messing around boiling water, so I'm getting this.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

They explode.

You mean they eggsplode, right?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
eggxactly. I love egg yolks.

edit: just make sure to check the wattage of your microwave and compare that to the instructions. I think adding an extra 30 seconds made the second batch a little better.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I requested my CC limit to be raised (no debt, just want to put more on it to get more rewards) and they're allowed to raise it only by 25% every 3 months or something like that :mad: When first getting it they asked me directly how much I wanted and I certainly could've requested way more based on my income.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

I requested my CC limit to be raised (no debt, just want to put more on it to get more rewards) and they're allowed to raise it only by 25% every 3 months or something like that :mad: When first getting it they asked me directly how much I wanted and I certainly could've requested way more based on my income.

I get calls a couple of times a year to literally double or triple my credit limits. I usually say yes.

"Sir you have the aspire minimum smart infinite no fee visa black ice platinum with a credit limit of $1500. We see that you're eligible for a credit increase of $8000. Can I put that through for you?"

"Yeah, that's hilarious but why not! Better utilization ratio!"

I think at this point we have more than our annual income in available credit. Should we worry about this at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Mobby_6kl: if you don't have a good rewards cards, then just get another credit card. If you like your card then I'd just put reminders up every 3 months to continue requesting increases. You may be able to escalate to get a bigger increase as well.

Tuyop: the only potential issue I know of is that the same bank may not be willing to give you another credit card if you're into the sign up bonus game. You can get around this by calling them up and moving the limits between cards though.