Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Asphyxious posted:

I have a foil treasure cruise but I have the bizarre feeling if I try to trade it at my game store I'll get laughed out as it's clearly an unsustainable spike.

My plan is to demand a Polluted Delta for mine and just :smugwizard: until the trade happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Just opened 6 Khans packs (yeah I know, but I had store credit and didn't wanna think too much about it), got a Windswept Heath and a Wooded Foothills. Not bad :) Also cracked a Swiftspear, Murderous Cut, and Butcher

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Tracula posted:

Any sort of consensus on what to do with foil fetch lands? I could see regular ones dropping as the market gets more saturated but not really sure what to do with the shiny ones.

Just sit on it for a year or so. The price will skyrocket post rotation.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
in a few days, I attempt to get into MtG. complete nub, preferred play-style is more deliberate thought and domination through well-planned pushes as opposed to simply vomiting my hand onto the field like a shitstain on autopilot with swarm tactics and playing nope cards to attempt not to lose everything. I am leaving yugioh(gently caress you trollnami), not going to significantly older and (somehow) more smug yugioh.

I also want to play standard, starting with this new khans pack and I'm willing to invest in maybe an intro pack+fat pack's worth(roughly 55 USD). currently the jeskai look appealing due to their awesomely manly monk motif and dat flying crane thingy.

for now, I'd like to get my feet wet with casual play, and then start playing FNM. I also have my younger brother to look to for some degree of direction(judging from his yugimanz playing, goons might be better guidance), and maybe blame for this cardboard crack I'm converting to.

so...any advice based on dis?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tracula posted:

Any sort of consensus on what to do with foil fetch lands? I could see regular ones dropping as the market gets more saturated but not really sure what to do with the shiny ones.

They'll shoot back up once they're out of print because they're better in Modern and Legacy than they are in Standard.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Entropic posted:

They'll shoot back up once they're out of print because they're better in Modern and Legacy than they are in Standard.

Yep. I'm seriously thinking of buying another playset or two of each fetch to sit on until they rotate out. They'll definitely spike up.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

nehezir posted:

in a few days, I attempt to get into MtG. complete nub, preferred play-style is more deliberate thought and domination through well-planned pushes as opposed to simply vomiting my hand onto the field like a shitstain on autopilot with swarm tactics and playing nope cards to attempt not to lose everything.

Holy Run-On Sentence Batman! Also, what the hell does "vomiting my hand onto the field like a shitstain on autopilot with swarm tactics and playing nope cards to attempt not to lose everything" mean other than you don't want to play aggro? What is a nope card?

nehezir posted:

I am leaving yugioh(gently caress you trollnami), not going to significantly older and (somehow) more smug yugioh.

.........so your leaving Yu-Gi-Oh for smugger Yu-Gi-Oh, alright, sure...its a joke I guess.

nehezir posted:

I also want to play standard, starting with this new khans pack and I'm willing to invest in maybe an intro pack+fat pack's worth(roughly 55 USD). currently the jeskai look appealing due to their awesomely manly monk motif and dat flying crane thingy.

Ok this is something we can work with, other than the word "dat." Probably the best "budget" build is going to be something like this mono-red build:

4x Firedrinker Satyr
4x Akroan Crusader
3x Goblin Rabblemaster
4x Foundry Street Denizen
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Dragon Mantle
4x Titan Strength
4x Hammerhand
4x Co-Ordinated Assault
4x Lightning Strike
2x Searing Blood
2x Magma Jet
17x Mountain

Which should be right around your budget range. Yes, it is a deck that plays out its hand as fast as possible to kill the opponent as fast as possible, but it has some powerful synergies and can be difficult to play correctly, so there is some definite thought in playing it optimaly. The midrange, and other slower decks you seem interested in, are more than double your budget in just their lands, let alone in the cards that actually do anything. So unless your budget increases you will be playing aggro for a while.

nehezir posted:

for now, I'd like to get my feet wet with casual play, and then start playing FNM. I also have my younger brother to look to for some degree of direction(judging from his yugimanz playing, goons might be better guidance), and maybe blame for this cardboard crack I'm converting to.

so...any advice based on dis?

Ok this intentional misspelling nonsense is incredibly irritating, especially from a post that is nominally seeking assistance in one way or another. Don't make people, who you are asking for advice, decode your asinine nerd slang. (yugimanz, dis, dat, trollnami) However casual play is entirely different from FNM, we can't really give to much advice on that outside of having you post a deck, in the Brehaus http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668234 and have us tear it apart there, and offer better/different card choices. Insofar as FNM/Standard, 55 bux is incredibly budget and doesn't even cover most decks manabase, so while you are building up a collection, the monored variant I posted above is going to be your best bet. Other than that, see about playing in limited events. Here is an overview of limited from the OP:

OP posted:

Limited: There are two popular limited formats: Sealed Deck, and Booster Draft. High-level limited tournaments are usually run sealed deck, with booster drafts as their top 8 playoffs. In sealed deck, a player gets six packs. With those cards, and as many extra basic lands as they wish, they have to build a deck that's at least 40 cards. Sealed is part luck (what you open), and part skill (how you build and play with your deck). Booster drafting involves each player getting three booster packs and sitting around a table. At the same time, each player opens up their first pack, takes a card out, and passes the rest of the cards in the pack to their left. This continues until all the cards in each pack are gone, then the second pack is opened and passed to the right. The third and last pack goes left again. Skilled players can sense which colors are "open" and pick cards that are strong in those colors. Then players follow the same deck construction rules as sealed deck - a minimum 40-card deck using as much extra basic land as they want. Some players consider booster drafting to be the best test of a Magic player's skill.

edit-I guess I was successfully trolled? :shrug:
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 30, 2014

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
nevermind. I'll just flounder about and figure something out. have a good season.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Don't normally post the podcasts I do (who am I kidding, I'm an attention whore!), but Marshall Sutcliffe was on this week to talk up Constructed Resources!

http://media.kisw.com/a/97356131/bjgn-09-30-14-magic-the-gathering-marshall-sutcliffe.htm

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

nehezir posted:

nevermind. I'll just flounder about and figure something out. have a good season.

Madmarker's deck he posted was pretty helpful - I think the point is if you have 55 bucks, its better to buy single cards than an intro pack and fatpack. Another competitive "budget" deck is mono black aggro (the base deck is cheap except the thoughtsiezes which you can work towards and replace with something else for now). Below is a list of one that top 32'd a large tournament over the weekend.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=73347

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It's nice to see Pain Seer actually seeing some use :unsmith:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Froghammer posted:

I'm fairly certain it's been played on Mono Black Aggro for a while now. But yeah, I'm glad Bob's Little Brother is seeing use too :)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TicalStal posted:

Madmarker's deck he posted was pretty helpful - I think the point is if you have 55 bucks, its better to buy single cards than an intro pack and fatpack. Another competitive "budget" deck is mono black aggro (the base deck is cheap except the thoughtsiezes which you can work towards and replace with something else for now). Below is a list of one that top 32'd a large tournament over the weekend.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=73347

I can say that boon of erobos is an upgrade maindeck over heroes downfall in this format and also makes the deck cheaper. Despise can replace thoughtseize for extra savings.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Froghammer posted:

I had a pair put in some good work in Rakdos Aggro; they occupied a spot normally taken by shred-freaks. RIP Cackler.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Haha, Time Spiral (block) was nuts.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tracula posted:

Hold for years.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Dr. Stab posted:

Hold for years.
Hold it till the next millenium. Once it's a cultural artifact and a good Magic card, you will have all the value.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dr. Stab posted:

Hold for years.

Imagine the Bugatti you'll be able to trade it for in 20 years when everyone in the civilized world plays magic!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chill la Chill posted:

Imagine the Bugatti you'll be able to trade it for in 20 years when everyone in the civilized world plays magic!

I for one am prepared for when the world currency switches over to foil Polluted Deltas.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

I for one am prepared for when the world currency switches over to foil Polluted Deltas.
Still a better currency than bitcoins.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Yawgmoth posted:

Still a better currency than bitcoins.

Polluted Delta has an actual use backing its value: It can get Volcanic Island or Bayou. :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Polluted Delta has an actual use backing its value: It can get Volcanic Island or Bayou. :v:

Or the most powerful card in Magic: Island.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Went to my local LGS at lunch and noticed they had ashcloud phoenix for 3 bucks peace. Was I wrong to think that was a purchase worth making?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

Went to my local LGS at lunch and noticed they had ashcloud phoenix for 3 bucks peace. Was I wrong to think that was a purchase worth making?

Well, it is unlikely to be worth more. That price is about right for a mythic that doesn't really see play other than kitchen table.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

jassi007 posted:

Well, it is unlikely to be worth more. That price is about right for a mythic that doesn't really see play other than kitchen table.

drat SCG sure brings a lot of kitchen tables to their opens.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ultima66 posted:

drat SCG sure brings a lot of kitchen tables to their opens.

I've certainly been wrong but I looked over the decklists. I just went and looked again, admittedly not all 64 lists for both opens but I can't find a deck it appeared in.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

jassi007 posted:

I've certainly been wrong but I looked over the decklists. I just went and looked again, admittedly not all 64 lists for both opens but I can't find a deck it appeared in.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_search_result.asp?CardName=Ashcloud%20Phoenix&partner=MAGCINFO

It was a 2 of in the sideboard in the deck that won in edison.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It also was just on camera pretty consistently in a lot of Jeskai decks.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
If Jeskai Tempo is going to be a big thing going forward, Ashcloud Phoenix is going to be a good card both in that deck's sideboard, and to bring in AGAINST that deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jassi007 posted:

I simply can't fathom deciding to buy a bunch of cards based on what showed up at the SCG Open when the Pro Tour is in like a week.

Yes, they play a lot of matches at the SCG Open. No, it is not a big enough sample size to decide what the meta is.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I simply can't fathom deciding to buy a bunch of cards based on what showed up at the SCG Open when the Pro Tour is in like a week.

Yes, they play a lot of matches at the SCG Open. No, it is not a big enough sample size to decide what the meta is.

I understand that people are having itchy trigger fingers but really? You can't fathom how people can buy cards after the first big tourney of the format?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

I understand that people are having itchy trigger fingers but really? You can't fathom how people can buy cards after the first big tourney of the format?

Not expensive ones, no. Unless you see a Master of Waves out there, but that's a card that DIDN'T get played in those SCG tournaments, not the other way around.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

Technically speaking the Pro Tour is an even smaller sample size than a single SCG Open. Granted, it does have that whole "The best players in the world forming teams with the sole purpose of breaking the format" thing going for it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

Technically speaking the Pro Tour is an even smaller sample size than a single SCG Open. Granted, it does have that whole "The best players in the world forming teams with the sole purpose of breaking the format" thing going for it.

If there were 50 SCG Opens from which to derive data from, it would be different. One Pro Tour is worth a lot more than one SCG Open.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Not expensive ones, no. Unless you see a Master of Waves out there, but that's a card that DIDN'T get played in those SCG tournaments, not the other way around.

Wait, what card did you believe we are talking about because whatever the gently caress you are babbling about doesn't make sense.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sickening posted:

Wait, what card did you believe we are talking about because whatever the gently caress you are babbling about doesn't make sense.
What he said makes perfect sense? He was talking about something worth buying last year, which wasn't in the Opens at all. (I think? It was a PT unveiling I believe?)

He's making a point about the ongoing formation of the metagame and how it informs purchasing decisions.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

Ashcloud Phoenix being in the sideboard of some deck at the SCG Open as a good reason to buy it.

You should not buy cards based on the meta unless you know what the meta is. If a card is clearly good on its own merits, that's a different reason to buy a card; e.g. Master of Waves.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

You all don't preorder playsets of every card in a set?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

Ashcloud Phoenix being in the sideboard of some deck at the SCG Open as a good reason to buy it.

You should not buy cards based on the meta unless you know what the meta is. If a card is clearly good on its own merits, that's a different reason to buy a card; e.g. Master of Waves.

I agree with your overall point but at the same time I'll say that Ashcloud Phoenix is both a good card on its own merits, and it's not expensive right now. So buying it seems fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Which is funny because on its own merits phoenix is a 4 drop that is more resilient to removal than master of waves and also has evasion.

Not that it will likely jump in price but 3 dollars is a decent floor price for a mythic that sees a reasonable amount of play.

• Locked thread