Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

AirRaid posted:

Honestly I don't think any of the cards are going to sound like rocket engines. You gotta remember that "noisy" is relative. People panicked about the evga cooler because it was benchmarked 10-20% louder than the Msi one or something, but that's still 10-20% louder than practically silent. These coolers are really well made, Your other case fans and drives will probably be making far more noise. As will your speakers. You know, when you play that game which is making the fans spin.

The rest of my computer is VERY silent - huge Noctua NH-D14 on the CPU set to minimum RPM, fairly quiet PSU, etc. At least with my 560 (Twin Frozr, older generation) the GPU fans were the problem - I mostly play with headphones, but I'm not the only person in the house. My current 660 (DirectCU II) has been good so far - max fan speed can be heard, but it's not a too annoying sound (though I feel minimum fan speed is a bit high).

Last time I chose cards by finding a ranking of "noise under load" and picking the most silent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have been looking for a card to upgrade my GTX 560ti, but was told to hold off. Is the 970 the one to pull the trigger on?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Looks like my case can only fit a EVGA or Zotac 970, how are the later? Don't really see Zotac discussed much.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Avalerion posted:

Looks like my case can only fit a EVGA or Zotac 970, how are the later? Don't really see Zotac discussed much.

As far as I know it's a pretty good brand. What case do you have?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

As far as I know it's a pretty good brand. What case do you have?

No idea, it's a prebuild PC. Card inside now is about 23cm so I'm just comparing to that.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I picked up 2 Zotac GTX 970s last night. Performance is stellar and I could swear the the 2D desktop image is somehow sharper vs my r9 290s :confused:

For those of you with 970 SLI setups what are your temps? Pushing Ultra settings in CryEngine gets one card into the low 80C range which is a bit hotter than I wanted. I'm thinking I might take the cards apart and re-apply thermal paste and see how that goes. I'm also amazed at how small the 970 is. It's like 1/2 the length of my 290s

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Unlucky7 posted:

I have been looking for a card to upgrade my GTX 560ti, but was told to hold off. Is the 970 the one to pull the trigger on?
The last dozen or so pages have been nothing but discussion by everyone with anything less than a GTX 780 pulling the trigger on the 970.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Isn't a 980 Ti basically out of the question since a 980 is already fully enabled GM204 silicon with all SMXes / CUDA cores active?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Knifegrab posted:

SLI is such a poo poo show though since it requires the developers to make extra effort

As I have said time and time again, SLI (and Crossfire) is a black box that game developers have absolutely no access to. The only thing devs can do that is directly SLI-related is get the GPU count. Beyond that, there apparently are a few general considerations with regards to dependencies between render targets and avoiding early sync of select few GPU queries. But since there are no tools to speak of that let devs profile SLI bottlenecks, the bulk of the work of getting SLI to work is pretty much always engine-specific driver-side hacks from nVidia/AMD's part. nVidia does send teams of developers on-site to help with nVidia-specific development, but from my personal experience that was more to implement their own fancy features (TXAA, VisualFX, etc.) than actually optimizing developers' poo poo.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Welmu posted:

Isn't a 980 Ti basically out of the question since a 980 is already fully enabled GM204 silicon with all SMXes / CUDA cores active?

In the vein of 780/780Ti, yes, because the 780 was not a fully enabled chip. They could do one with only a higher factory clock, but there'd be basically no point to that vs just getting a better binned EVGA SC card or something like that. The next highest thing after 980s would have to be a larger GM200/210 chip.

Keep in mind that us actually getting the ginormous GK110 chip on a consumer card in the form of the Titan Black/780ti has not at all been the norm for Nvidia. I think it was probably more of a reaction to TSMC's massive issues, they had to introduce something to keep ramping up performance in the absence of 20nm. So who knows if we end up seeing a similar titan/780ti version of maxwell, vs them all showing up in Quadro or Tesla cards.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Welmu posted:

They're probably going to bring out a GM210 Quadro & Tesla, and could possibly do a $1000+ "Titan Obsidian" to sell that GPU to gamers with more money than sense.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Welmu posted:

Gwaihir posted:

In the vein of 780/780Ti, yes, because the 780 was not a fully enabled chip. They could do one with only a higher factory clock, but there'd be basically no point to that vs just getting a better binned EVGA SC card or something like that. The next highest thing after 980s would have to be a larger GM200/210 chip.

The rumor mill has been speculating (wwccftech rumor warning) that there will be a larger GM200 chip.

It is also possible that instead of producing a larger GM200 on the 28nm process, nVidia will wait for the process change expected in the first half of 2015. Until then there would be overclocked GTX 980s like an EVGA Classified edition or maybe something with a CLC.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I'm not really sure how even a larger Maxwell part would greatly benefit from a CLC>

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rastor posted:

The last dozen or so pages have been nothing but discussion by everyone with anything less than a GTX 780 pulling the trigger on the 970.

Well yeah but those could be early adopters and people with more money than sense :v:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jan posted:

As I have said time and time again, SLI (and Crossfire) is a black box that game developers have absolutely no access to. The only thing devs can do that is directly SLI-related is get the GPU count. Beyond that, there apparently are a few general considerations with regards to dependencies between render targets and avoiding early sync of select few GPU queries. But since there are no tools to speak of that let devs profile SLI bottlenecks, the bulk of the work of getting SLI to work is pretty much always engine-specific driver-side hacks from nVidia/AMD's part. nVidia does send teams of developers on-site to help with nVidia-specific development, but from my personal experience that was more to implement their own fancy features (TXAA, VisualFX, etc.) than actually optimizing developers' poo poo.

This is one of the things that the new APIs should provide a massive improvement on. Mantle provides application-level control over multiple discrete GPUs and I would imagine that gl-next and DX12 will do the same.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:
So my Gigabyte GTX 970 just arrived today :woop: and it's pretty drat awesome. I do hear a light buzzing sound when it starts going into load (tested it around a bit in The Witcher 2) but it's almost inaudible which is very loving far off from the r9 280 i returned.

Will continue bringing updates if there's anything exceptionally good or bad about the board that's noticeable.

What's a good software to check temperatures on the GPU with btw?

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Unlucky7 posted:

I upgraded from a 560 ti and I have been very happy with it both in performance and relative noise levels.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
This thread has me confused. Do the new MSI 970's have fan issues or not?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

This thread has me confused. Do the new MSI 970's have fan issues or not?

For some people, yes. MSI is aware of the problem but no solution yet.
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.0;all

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Senjuro posted:

For some people, yes. MSI is aware of the problem but no solution yet.
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.0;all

Thanks, I'll hang back until the issues are resolved, I've also loved MSI as a non-reference so I'll see how this plays out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
So much for 780ti resale value

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487072

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Got my EVGA 970 ACX yesterday, fan noise is hardly noticeable makes less noise then by 3 intake fans on my Antec 1200. Go! PCMASTERRACE getting annoying complainers into computers.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

For those of us not up on the previous cost, what is the difference?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
What does classified mean if it doesn't even have a factory OC. I wasn't even aware anybody sold reference spec 780tis besides actual reference cards

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

r0ck0 posted:

For those of us not up on the previous cost, what is the difference?

$750 was original retail

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-2887-KR

1gnoirents posted:

What does classified mean if it doesn't even have a factory OC

Classified has a custom PCB and larger cooler.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Don Lapre posted:

$750 was original retail

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-2887-KR

Classified has a custom PCB and larger cooler.

I mean as long as it OC's like the rest that would surely make a hard decision if I had dual 1440p or 4k with a 780ti already and was considering going 970 sli or something (and if I only wanted NIB). Good deal, but out of the box wont be as good as a non reference 970 which is just funny

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

dorkanoid posted:

3x displayport is exactly what I want :D

How noisy is this card, though? Are there any reviews out?
The regular Gigabyte card, which is (theoretically) already released, has all of those features and higher clocks, too. It seems to be pretty well reviewed.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

It was widely speculated at the time that these would be getting clearance'd to make room for the Maxwell lineup. nVidia is not one to go the many-skews route; fabbing a few great chip types and harvesting them is more their kick. Ran drat near the entire 600-series off the GK104 chip alone; see the sensible folks waiting to see if a 960 drops and is to their liking here for the results of having basically done that a few generations in a row. It's a strategy that works well for them and minimizes their overhead with TSMC (and keeps them from having too much of a foot in the past, I'd speculate).

Anyone who didn't see this kinda thing coming the moment the embargo lifted on that killer price point missed a trick (especially since it was explicitly stated to be about to happen in at least one article on the new cards) :)

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I want to get a new video card for the rift when it comes out but I want a new video card now too. I currently have a gtx560 which is pretty weak. What are the chances that nvidia will release a better/faster/cheaper card before the CV1 is out. I know this is a lot of speculation but my general question is how likely is nvidia to release a newer card in the next 12-18 months?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

r0ck0 posted:

I want to get a new video card for the rift when it comes out but I want a new video card now too. I currently have a gtx560 which is pretty weak. What are the chances that nvidia will release a better/faster/cheaper card before the CV1 is out. I know this is a lot of speculation but my general question is how likely is nvidia to release a newer card in the next 12-18 months?

Since nobody knows when CV1 will come out the chances are good a newer faster card will be out by then.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

r0ck0 posted:

Virtually 100%, but it's not going to make it any easier on you in the meantime. Wait for a 960, fair enough; but you are due a card upgrade if you expect to play stuff not made in Flash in the meantime.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
More general question: How big of a performance difference would there be with the next card released and the current 970? Will it be a small incremental upgrade equal to SLI 970 or would it be a huge difference and SLI970 wouldn't be close? Oh crystal ball tell me your secrets.

Is the 960 going to be a cheaper/slower version of the 970?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Shadow of Mordor does indeed use 3GB of VRAM with High textures. Maxed out at 3558MB at auto detected settings for a 970 at 2560*1440.

Can't say what type of AA it's using or what level, but it's more than 0.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Agreed posted:

Virtually 100%, but it's not going to make it any easier on you in the meantime. Wait for a 960, fair enough; but you are due a card upgrade if you expect to play stuff not made in Flash in the meantime.

If the nVidia 5xx series held up anywhere near as well as the ATI 58xx series, he might be fine until the CV1 is released, and if he really wants to buy a GPU for CV1, he should wait the 12-18 months until it comes out before buying one. I can't think of a single point in history where a faster or cheaper GPU has not come out in an 18 month period.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
If nothing else, AMD's going to get their next line up sooner or later, and that should be competitive.

A single card being "equal to SLI 970s" is not a "small incremental upgrade" by any means, though. I'd expect that configuration to remain effective for some time.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Unless you listen to the doomsayers who consider the 970 to be the killing blow to AMD. Time shall tell.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The killing blow to AMD will be the 15a outlets in peoples homes that cant handle the power load.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
When are MSI 970's going to more prevelant so I can stop camping nowinstock.com?

Atreus
Sep 20, 2005
Showing Gigabyte cards in stock at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=6202798&SID=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Hamburger Test posted:

Shadow of Mordor does indeed use 3GB of VRAM with High textures. Maxed out at 3558MB at auto detected settings for a 970 at 2560*1440.

Can't say what type of AA it's using or what level, but it's more than 0.

Could you check to see how much VRAM it uses at 1080p? If it uses over 3GB at 1080p I'm most definitely getting a 970.

Atreus posted:

Showing Gigabyte cards in stock at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=6202798&SID=

That card is 15.9 inches long there is no way that is fitting in my case.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 30, 2014