Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Mrgrgr is voice acting of the year material and I will never be swayed on this opinion. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Manatee Cannon posted:

And Tiz. Also mrgrgr is bad, even if you like it.

I liked Tiz's voice acting because he was yelling all the time! In surprise!

Unless he was repeating what another character just said, but with a question mark at the end?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I started Chapter 6 this morning. :getin:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cassandra Morris is great and her mrgrgr is adorable. The voice acting is fantastic especially Profiteur's lovely French accent and Praline.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

A Bravely Second'd Elixir from a summoned character and with the skill that doubles the effect of healing items is the best way to take out the Giga Lich.
He's pretty much the only undead boss, isn't he? I remember running into a little problem when I tried my usual Drain-Sword/Rage method, but I think it worked on everything else.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Cassandra Morris is great and her mrgrgr is adorable. The voice acting is fantastic especially Profiteur's lovely French accent and Praline.
I, for one, cannot wait for JYB to play the role of Yu in the next game. It's gonna happen. Either him or Yuri Lowenthal.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ometeotl posted:

A Bravely Second'd Elixir from a summoned character and with the skill that doubles the effect of healing items is the best way to take out the Giga Lich.

Wrong the best way is to use a Performer's Once More for You to stunlock it into Negative BP for eternity.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dr Pepper posted:

Wrong the best way is to use a Performer's Once More for You to stunlock it into Negative BP for eternity.

Healing BP works on undead too? Ahahahaha Gigas Lich you are the worst

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terper posted:

I, for one, cannot wait for JYB to play the role of Yu in the next game. It's gonna happen. Either him or Yuri Lowenthal.

Johnny Yong Bosch is the hero we need.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I had to switch to japanese the soonest I can because Agnes was awful, which was too bad because I liked what I heard from Edea and Ringabel.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Edea and Ringabel sound just fine in English. It's Tiz and Agnès who are ... unacceptable.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Have you all been lying to me about Chapter 6? I fought Heinkel and it was very different from before. He has orders to save the Wind Vestal...but he's going to kill her anyway because of <reasons>.

Orthros was kicking my rear end for a while but I managed to reliably stop him from using Blazzard by spamming bomb arms every turn.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Have you all been lying to me about Chapter 6? I fought Heinkel and it was very different from before. He has orders to save the Wind Vestal...but he's going to kill her anyway because of <reasons>.

Orthros was kicking my rear end for a while but I managed to reliably stop him from using Blazzard by spamming bomb arms every turn.
Some of them are different in terms of dialogue, but from Chapter 7 and on they become SUPER different. You'll get a taste of what's to come in the sidequest that's unlocked in Chapter 6 after lighting the third crystal.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Terper posted:

Some of them are different in terms of dialogue, but from Chapter 7 and on they become SUPER different. You'll get a taste of what's to come in the sidequest that's unlocked in Chapter 6 after lighting the third crystal.
Ah ok, is it somehow related to Mephilia, Einheria and Artemia not being in their usual spots? And Olivia being in hiding?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It is indeed, yes.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Make sure to visit your old buddy sage too.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm doing the Sage sidequest now, just beat Daddy.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yulyana is wrecking my poo poo. :( Meteor is a loving pain, I can't get everyone's MDef up quick enough, or heal quick enough.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Chapter 7's boss fights and onwards are going to require mastered jobs, right? Even Ominas was wrecking me.:smith:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

irlZaphod posted:

Yulyana is wrecking my poo poo. :( Meteor is a loving pain, I can't get everyone's MDef up quick enough, or heal quick enough.

Lock the sucker down. Most bosses are vulnerable to some combination of sleep, stop, dread, etc, and if you have a way to generate BP you can use Slow World to basically get free turns against bosses.

Shinjobi posted:

Chapter 7's boss fights and onwards are going to require mastered jobs, right? Even Ominas was wrecking me.:smith:

Certainly at least a couple of them per person. C7+ is where the game expects you to have figured out some of the really overpowered combinations and reacts accordingly by never giving you a single boss during a boss fight ever again. Minor endgame spoiler: Just wait until you get to the boss that you literally have to kill about 6 or 7 times in a row, with a cutscene between each section-- which means when you rejoin the fight, you've lost all of your party buffs and any debuffs you had on him, and you don't have a chance to re-heal/mana between phases.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 2, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They are optional though, you can just do the crystals and ignore all the side quests.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Manatee Cannon posted:

They are optional though, you can just do the crystals and ignore all the side quests.

Those side quests are pretty cool though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Counterpoint: "STILL NOT ENOUGH! JUST A LITTLE LONGER!"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Counterpoint: "STILL NOT ENOUGH! JUST A LITTLE LONGER!"

While I'm usually ardently against QTEs, "Press X to not die break the crystal" would have been an improvement over "Press X for 60 seconds straight or 120 to break it", which is a pretty depressing state of affairs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The worst part about those sequences is Airy. Stop loving stopping me from getting this over with, you little poo poo. Just pressing the button uninterrupted (barring the "That's it!" at the end) would be a huge improvement.

But you have to do that poo poo anyway to finish the game, so it isn't really a counterpoint to anything.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You know what I can't figure out?

Airy keeps going "I'm sure you already know, but would you like me to tell you what you need to be doing?" when the bottom of the screen has PRESS X in All Caps. :v:

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You know what I can't figure out?

Airy keeps going "I'm sure you already know, but would you like me to tell you what you need to be doing?" when the bottom of the screen has PRESS X in All Caps. :v:
Well she can't see the screen, can she?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I managed to beat Yulyana last night using copious amounts of Stillness. I haven't jumped on the BP Battery train yet so I just used a Performer to keep the Spiritmaster's BP up. That took care of Meteor most of the time, although it was hard to predict when he was going to use it. Sometimes he did it twice in a row, sometimes just once then switched to Amped Strike. 2 or 3 of my party members usually had Utsesemi up too, and I usually just tried to get attacks in before Stillness kicked in. What's annoying is that it usually just lasted 1 full turn, since the Spiritmaster was usually last or second last to go. Oh well.

I may go get the false ending now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, you're pretty much at the ideal point story-wise to start that up.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
So, I've had this game for months and I think I'm stuck.

I went through the pillar of light, and now everything is way too strong to fight. I'm sitting around level 60ish and all the optional asterisk fights are ridiculously too strong for me at the moment, let alone regular enemies. How do I get out of this?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ShadeofDante posted:

I went through the pillar of light, and now everything is way too strong to fight. I'm sitting around level 60ish and all the optional asterisk fights are ridiculously too strong for me at the moment, let alone regular enemies. How do I get out of this?

Go to Florem, buy the Fire attack items from the Adventurer. As many as you can.

Wander around outside Florem and when you get into a random encounter spam all your BP throwing the Bomb Arms at the bad guys.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ShadeofDante posted:

How's your job setup and equipment? That's way more important than levels. Your levels are fine for where you are.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The Chapter 5 enemies are a big step up in difficulty, but there are ways to cheese encounters to grind up job levels to help. As mentioned, you can spam fire attacks on enemies outside Florem. Make sure you have Clothespins equipped on everyone, or the tree enemies will use Lullaby followed by RIP and wipe you. Also maybe some Abate Wind to reduce damage from the birds using Tornado (:argh:).

Also, outside Hartschild, there are undead enemies who give a lot of Pg and JP, they're really strong and annoying, but you can drop them easily with some Phoenix Downs using the Widen Area ability of the Salvemaker job. I've been using that to grind up some early job levels. It doesn't always work, sometimes one or two of them might survive, and if the enemies get first strike they'll probably wipe you. I've been throwing up a Rampart too, and abusing Utsesemi on my non-Salvemaker characters.

At this point, you really want to start breaking the game with job and ability combinations. Anything which only uses single-target physical attacks can be cheesed with the Utsesemi ability (Ninja) combined with Transience (Ninja)/Turn Tables (Red Mage)/Counter Amp (Swordmaster). :unsmigghh: That's probably a lot more important than character levels. I think having higher job levels helps a lot too, and the Asterisk boss fights will be useful for getting JP when you reach Lv 9 in a job. Barbarossa is a pretty easy fight, Praline isn't too bad either. Also make sure that you do the Ninja and Red Mage subquests again, because they're so beautiful when you show up with knowledge of what's going on.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 3, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Arcanist/Black Mage was my favorite encounter-wiper. Poison everything, then blow it up from inside. :science:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Terper posted:

Arcanist/Black Mage was my favorite encounter-wiper. Poison everything, then blow it up from inside. :science:

I had fun with an Arcanist/Red Mage and Spiritmaster/Red Mage who both had Group Cast All, so that I could throw up more Sleeps/Fears/Poisons, Poison/Esuna, or heals/raises as needed from more than just one person. Then I stuck Slow World on one of my melee hitters, and that got me through the entirety of chapters 6 and 7...

until I got to the Adventurer who was literally immune to all status effects :argh:

After that I just ran a normal BP battery team with a Templar/Knight that could literally Full Cover everyone every turn and had Absorb M/P Damage to keep his health from going down *too* far, the Spiritmaster/Red Mage as the battery, a Ninja/Conjurer that could buff up, pop Ikkikasei, and hit for 60k a turn, and a Thief/Freelancer that could Godspeed Strike for 40k a turn. At that point, the only question was "Will the enemy 1HK the Templar on the first turn"; anything else was easily dealt with.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I pretty much maxed my jobs in the fire country by spamming phoenix downs on the undead. Ended up just riding on triple Pirate with free lunch+Amped Strike, boosted by my White Mage carrying Hasten World to get 36 amped strikes by turn 3. Usually kills most things fast except the annoying boss that's literally invincible for the first few turns.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Thanks for the tips. I got the Growth Egg and have been using Sleep All + that instakill move in the Earth tower.

I will try to get some of those combos now though.

Also, the dragons. Is it best to just exploit null element spells and wear them down or is there a more effective way?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ShadeofDante posted:

Also, the dragons. Is it best to just exploit null element spells and wear them down or is there a more effective way?

Their Eye-attacks override any sort of elemental status you have and replaces it with Weak. Doesn't matter if you have equipment that nulls it.

Here are some tips:
Their elemental breaths are physical attacks. Don't question it, they are. I'm sure you can think of a way to exploit that.
They attack in a set pattern. Attack, attack, eye, attack, attack, eye...

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

ShadeofDante posted:

4 ninjas with transience and turn tables. Have everyone use utsusemi and then put the game on autopilot, make a grilled cheese while you wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Oh my god, taking down Gigas Lich in one hit using a Bravely Seconded Elixir is every bit as amazing as you guys said. :allears:

• Locked thread