Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whiter than Home Improvement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

What's the deal with Gilmore Girls is it funny or what?

They talk really fast

I'd say yeah, it's whiter than Home Improvement

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think avatar text is huge now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also: Did anyone watch the Family Guy/Simpsons crossover? I heard it was loving awful.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

zoux posted:

Also: Did anyone watch the Family Guy/Simpsons crossover? I heard it was loving awful.

It was the funniest Simpsons episode in years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you've had the internet for the last 5 years you've already heard all the jokes they had in it.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I am sure HBO execs were just dying to be in the good graces of her photographer mother.

Thought she had a bigshot dad, guess I was wrong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

If you've had the internet for the last 5 years you've already heard all the jokes they had in it.

Yeah I heard there was a seven minute chicken fight between Homer and Peter.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Fateo McMurray posted:

It was the funniest Simpsons episode in years.

Both statements are true, sadly. Simpsons took a backseat though, it was very much a Family Guy episode. Even had those stupid flashbacks.

EDIT: Why can't people just say they don't like the show Girls without having to throw in about how undeserved/lovely she is? I mean, the guy behind 2 Broke Girls is a much worse person, but you don't see people winging about him.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 30, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

zoux posted:

Whiter than Home Improvement?
Whiter than The West Wing.

It also got West Wing'd in it's last seasons too. Huh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aaron Sorkin left the show?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The original husband/wife team that made the show left

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Both statements are true, sadly. Simpsons took a backseat though, it was very much a Family Guy episode. Even had those stupid flashbacks.

EDIT: Why can't people just say they don't like the show Girls without having to throw in about how undeserved/lovely she is? I mean, the guy behind 2 Broke Girls is a much worse person, but you don't see people winging about him.

Misogyny.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

What's the deal with Gilmore Girls is it funny or what?

Yes. When it was on, I felt like it and The West Wing were two of the better written shows of it's time. Looking bad that was a bit hyperbolic, but I still think it's a very good show. And apparently getting added to Netflix, like, tomorrow, so that's cool. And convenient, since I just finished another rewatch of The West Wing.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

zoux posted:

Misogyny.

Yep, that's it. That's exactly what it is. It's not that Dunham is both a producer and the star, making her situation completely different than Michael King's.

I mean, I really don't care about Lena Dunham like some of you do (at least until she tried to get people to perform for free, gently caress her), but shouting misogyny because you disagree with someone is dumb as poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah actually since internet discussion of her leads invariably directly into how ugly she is and how gross she is naked it is a unique situation. I'm sure there are people who legit don't like the show that aren't misogynists, but the level and strength of the dislike for the show and how much of that is personally directed at Dunham comes from a deeper place. The level of vehemence is way out of proportion to the quality of the show.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

JohnSherman posted:

Yep, that's it. That's exactly what it is. It's not that Dunham is both a producer and the star, making her situation completely different than Michael King's.

I mean, I really don't care about Lena Dunham like some of you do (at least until she tried to get people to perform for free, gently caress her), but shouting misogyny because you disagree with someone is dumb as poo poo.
Welcome to the Internet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gilmore Girls is good, but realize that none of the characters face any real challenges. One of the major points of conflict is which Ivy League university the daughter should attend.

The dialogue is snappy and the supporting cast is fun, but it's really just a well-written soap.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She also has her entire tuition paid by her dad and grandparents. And she probably has a fat trust fund set up by her millionaire family. And her boyfriend's family runs the New York Times empire.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Gilmore Girls is good, but realize that none of the characters face any real challenges. One of the major points of conflict is which Ivy League university the daughter should attend.

The dialogue is snappy and the supporting cast is fun, but it's really just a well-written soap.

Castle had this problem one season too. You're supposed to feel bad for his daughter because she didn't get early admission into Stanford and has to settle for Columbia or something.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well better that in Castle than them trying to do a ~serious episode~ which is worse, because those are generally unwatchable for me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I liked the serious episodes because they were so over the top. Also Nathan Fillion does drama well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gilmore Girls is wonderful, and now I'm feeling annoyed that Bunheads was taken away from us so soon. Goddamnit.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Ravane posted:

Okay, so I have a crazy idea.

I'm currently on the Lost Finale, I haven't watched it yet. This is it. This is the final episode, the sort of make it or break it deal that everyone here has argued about for the last four years.

Anybody up for joining me in the IRC tomorrow, Tuesday September 30th at 9 pm EST, for a live watch/rewatch of the :lost: finale? I think it might be a lot of fun.

Tonight at 9pm. Join me in the IRC: http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.synirc.net&channel=%23satviv

If you don't have netflix or something, I will find a way to accommodate you.

Edit: and nevermind, I was assigned some last minute lab work tonight. Ah well, maybe some other time.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 30, 2014

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Girls is alright. I thought it was a nepotism thing but I was wrong apparently. Nepotism gets on my nerves more than Dunham.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It's only nepotism if the person coming in proves to be wholly incompetent.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Fooz posted:

Thought she had a bigshot dad, guess I was wrong.

Her dad's a "famous" painter. I mean, she does come from a somewhat priviledged position.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 30, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sober posted:

Well better that in Castle than them trying to do a ~serious episode~ which is worse, because those are generally unwatchable for me.

They also almost always revolved around the hero characters doing something atrocious and morally unforgivable that is presented as a good, strong, choice. It's a crying shame that Castle slouched its way into being ethically poisonous poo poo.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I just finished Lost. All six seasons in the last two months. It's been an incredible ride.

After seeing that finale, I'm a bit speechless. It was certainly one of the most incredible things I've ever seen.

Honestly, given all the critique it gets, I thought it would be more cryptic, but it wasn't. They spelled the ending out completely, and the resolution (for both plots) was perfect. It was actually so compelling that I teared up, quite a few times actually.

I lost my father four years ago at the age of 18, which is why I empathized with Jack from the beginning, given his situation. But that resolution had me bawling like a kid. Honestly, it was just perfect, I couldn't have imagined it any better. It was probably the best ending I've ever seen, definitely the best show I've ever seen, and certainly one that will resound in my heart for a long time.

I don't want to ruin it for anyone else, but I just want to say that if you haven't given this show a try, you must, you must, you must. I've never had any piece of media have such a profound effect on me, and I want to thank Annakie for creating the Toxx that started this, and Deadpool for seeing me through to the end. I wish there were episodes, I actually don't want to let go.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I love you Ravane

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

They also almost always revolved around the hero characters doing something atrocious and morally unforgivable that is presented as a good, strong, choice. It's a crying shame that Castle slouched its way into being ethically poisonous poo poo.
Wait what did Castle do?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's mostly a drip drip drip of Just World "only the guilty need a defence" stuff but sometimes they just straight up coerce confessions.

There's strong undercurrent of authoritarianism and disregard for civil rights running through Castle that is never portrayed as anything but reasonable and good. It's unpleasant when you notice it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's mostly a drip drip drip of Just World "only the guilty need a defence" stuff but sometimes they just straight up coerce confessions.

There's strong undercurrent of authoritarianism and disregard for civil rights running through Castle that is never portrayed as anything but reasonable and good. It's unpleasant when you notice it.

Keeping in mind this isn't actually a defense of Castle in that regard, but this is true of all crime procedurals, isn't it? Castle, NCIS, Elementary, Bones, etc. all seem to do this. Sure, they use "evidence and detective work", but most cases just end with a confession, given by someone who doesn't have a lawyer, and very often after the person asking the questions has lied or threatened the suspect somehow.

I've never seen Castle as being any worse about this than any other show. The amount of times Gibbs on NCIS has countered, "Do I need a lawyer?" with, "Do you think you need one?" or, "Why, have you done anything wrong?" is rather absurd.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ravane posted:

I just finished Lost. All six seasons in the last two months. It's been an incredible ride.

After seeing that finale, I'm a bit speechless. It was certainly one of the most incredible things I've ever seen.

Honestly, given all the critique it gets, I thought it would be more cryptic, but it wasn't. They spelled the ending out completely, and the resolution (for both plots) was perfect. It was actually so compelling that I teared up, quite a few times actually.

I lost my father four years ago at the age of 18, which is why I empathized with Jack from the beginning, given his situation. But that resolution had me bawling like a kid. Honestly, it was just perfect, I couldn't have imagined it any better. It was probably the best ending I've ever seen, definitely the best show I've ever seen, and certainly one that will resound in my heart for a long time.

I don't want to ruin it for anyone else, but I just want to say that if you haven't given this show a try, you must, you must, you must. I've never had any piece of media have such a profound effect on me, and I want to thank Annakie for creating the Toxx that started this, and Deadpool for seeing me through to the end. I wish there were episodes, I actually don't want to let go.

Yessss. Now you can enjoy a lifetime of assholes being dicks about an amazing show.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

thrawn527 posted:

I've never seen Castle as being any worse about this than any other show. The amount of times Gibbs on NCIS has countered, "Do I need a lawyer?" with, "Do you think you need one?" or, "Why, have you done anything wrong?" is rather absurd.

To be fair, though, I'm sure detectives say that all the time.

I have trouble watching most procedurals for the same basic reasons as you, but I get why they always end with confessions from a storytelling standpoint: the audience wants to see the case solved and justice done, and what better way than for the accused to just come out and say it? Bonus points if a special guest actor gets to cry a lil

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

She also has her entire tuition paid by her dad and grandparents. And she probably has a fat trust fund set up by her millionaire family. And her boyfriend's family runs the New York Times empire.

I didn't know any of that, don't care, and don't think she's the ugliest person ever to set foot, hoof, paw, or tentacle upon the earth, not even if you exclude pugs.

The 15 minutes of Girls I watched was pretty dire though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That was about Gilmore Girls

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ahaha

OOOOH I JUST GOTTA TRASH GIRLS

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
You're The Worst just got a Season 2 :yotj:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Ahaha

OOOOH I JUST GOTTA TRASH GIRLS

It was pretty bad and your discussion was hard to follow but I guess you got me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah Rory tends to get a little insufferable after season 3 when her tantrums basically consist of not being appreciative of all the great opportunities she has in life. Eh, still a great show with a fun recurring cast and Emily would consistently deliver the best burns.

So Bunheads was good for the one season it was on?

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 30, 2014

• Locked thread