Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Cythereal posted:

* The ultra-self-important business students who show up at 7 AM in business coats and ties.

Worse than this: I have a guy who shows up to one of my polisci classes in asuit and tie--but walks in 1/2 hour to 45 minutes late.

First of all, it's just loving pointless to do the "I'm a real grown up look at my suit" thing if you're going to be frat-boy tardy.

Second, If I can get myself out of bed with ongoing massive migraines and a hosed up neck, so can this douche. Just don't come, if you're so convinced your business suit is going to rocket you to success anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Obdicut posted:

Worse than this: I have a guy who shows up to one of my polisci classes in asuit and tie--but walks in 1/2 hour to 45 minutes late.

First of all, it's just loving pointless to do the "I'm a real grown up look at my suit" thing if you're going to be frat-boy tardy.

Second, If I can get myself out of bed with ongoing massive migraines and a hosed up neck, so can this douche. Just don't come, if you're so convinced your business suit is going to rocket you to success anyway.

This jerk was in my Political Theory class. Chronically late (or absent), ill-fitting Burlington Coat Factory suit, and a perpetual politician's grin. Never read the material, and his only participation in class was to snicker whenever the topic of discussion leaned too far to the left.

Halfway through the semester, I finally had to ask him what his deal was and talk to him about whether or not he should continue bothering to show up, and he told me that he was sorry, but "all this philosophy and stuff" wasn't "political" enough for him, and that he just didn't think it would be useful for his "career in politics."

Memories like this are the reason I wake up happy every morning that I got out of academia while I still had the chance.

edit: me likey likey the grammar long time

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Sep 30, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I do not know who the crowd of early 20s men wearing sweater vests in 90 degree weather and bow ties are who just invaded my library, but I feel like I'm witnessing an alien invasion.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I've come to passionately hate fat white guys with beards. Why do you keep talking in class? Nobody cares. Be quiet.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

I've come to passionately hate fat white guys with beards. Why do you keep talking in class? Nobody cares. Be quiet.

I feel like I had the exact same obnoxious awkward bearded guy in one of my classes every semester for a while. Spiritually the same- manifestations of one Platonic form.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Alterian posted:

I teach the "Welcome to College!" class. Its there to make sure students know valuable life skills like taking notes, not be racist, and take showers. I had a dude full on snoring during my "make sure you get enough sleep!" Section.

During my version of the same induction talk, I had a guy in the front row clearly playing games on his ginormous laptop while I was talking about classroom etiquette concerning playing games/watching videos on youtube, phone stuff, &c. He looked up briefly during the talk because everyone started to snicker. I guess he thought I'd said something interest/important, decided, Nah, then went back to his game.

Either that or he's got special note taking software that's eyeball activated.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Cythereal posted:

I do not know who the crowd of early 20s men wearing sweater vests in 90 degree weather and bow ties are who just invaded my library, but I feel like I'm witnessing an alien invasion.

Nation of Islam? Or are they hip white guys?

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW
All of our textbooks come in ebook format with an integrated online course. The professors give one or two assignments per semester that must be completed through the course, forcing you to buy the loving textbook even though you never use it for anything else. :suicide: This poo poo is criminal.

Also, I was talking to my lab TA earlier and she kept trying to cremb me. I thought people grew out of that poo poo after freshman year :argh:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Steampunk iPhone posted:

Also, I was talking to my lab TA earlier and she kept trying to crembme. I thought people grew out of that poo poo after freshman year :argh:

What the gently caress does that mean? :confused:

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

President Ark posted:

What the gently caress does that mean? :confused:

It's kind of like updog

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chemosh6969 posted:

Nation of Islam? Or are they hip white guys?

Neither. Checked the schedule of groups registered to use the library conference room, and it's the Mormon student club/association.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

The Chairman posted:

It's kind of like updog

Can't wait for this lame thing to die out.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Bloopsy posted:

Can't wait for this lame thing to die out.

What, updog?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

The Chairman posted:

It's kind of like updog

I know about the updog joke, but I can't think of anything that creates a pun with 'cremb' in it so I'm still lost.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
It's a thing from the Dr. Who/Supernatural/Sherlock erotic fan literature fandom. You have to be in pretty deep to start throwing it around in normal, everyday speech. So don't be sad that you don't get it.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It's a thing from the Dr. Who/Supernatural/Sherlock erotic fan literature fandom. You have to be in pretty deep to start throwing it around in normal, everyday speech. So don't be sad that you don't get it.

I still don't get it and it sounds as stupid as laughing at a person when you ask them where their zenith is and they don't know.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

chemosh6969 posted:

I still don't get it and it sounds as stupid as laughing at a person when you ask them where their zenith is and they don't know.

By the way, your epidermis is showing :laugh:

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Sat next to a guy who chewed tobacco during class. Didn't realize it until I noticed the Mountain Dew bottle he kept putting to his lips was full of brown spit. :barf:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ms Boods posted:

During my version of the same induction talk, I had a guy in the front row clearly playing games on his ginormous laptop while I was talking about classroom etiquette concerning playing games/watching videos on youtube, phone stuff, &c. He looked up briefly during the talk because everyone started to snicker. I guess he thought I'd said something interest/important, decided, Nah, then went back to his game.

There's a guy in one of my classes that just sits and watches League of Legends the entire time. He apparently doesn't do very well on the assignments and will probably bomb the first test. I just don't think he cares, honestly, but if you cared that little about being in college, why be there in the first place? More odd is that this is a 400-level computer science class so he's basically in the home stretch but if he fails it he can't take it again for like two years sooooo...I don't get it.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's a guy in one of my classes that just sits and watches League of Legends the entire time. He apparently doesn't do very well on the assignments and will probably bomb the first test. I just don't think he cares, honestly, but if you cared that little about being in college, why be there in the first place? More odd is that this is a 400-level computer science class so he's basically in the home stretch but if he fails it he can't take it again for like two years sooooo...I don't get it.

Mommy and daddy are probably footing the bill. Guessing the goal is to squeak by in each class.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Jake Snake posted:

Sat next to a guy who chewed tobacco during class. Didn't realize it until I noticed the Mountain Dew bottle he kept putting to his lips was full of brown spit. :barf:

I chew but have only done it once in class and I gutted it like a disgusting slob. It's a pretty nasty habit that I rarely do in public and would never be openly doing in class.

Ducreux
Dec 14, 2009
I watched a guy spit tobacco into a bottle for an hour in class once, I could not stop watching no matter how disgusted I was.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One of the regular requests we get on the library's student suggestion board is providing napkins and spitting vessels (?) for chewing tobacco.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Crime report statistics release. No crime whatsoever at my ca... hold on, 800 instances of Other. :raise:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Ms Boods posted:

I love it how these types are always on the really ginormous laptops meant for gaming (probably because mommy and daddy footed the bill so he figured to lie about what he needed). I had a $300 netbook strictly for typing essays that I always aced and used a coiled notebook for class notes because it was easier to flip through.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I think my school was just visited by the fire marshal and failed because now magically we aren't allowed to have our computers plugged in during class because the cords are a hazard. We're in a really old building that was never meant to house a school so our only outlets are against the walls, there are none near to our desks. I had plenty of classes at my previous university where laptops were banned in class. Which is legit in situations where the professors accommodate for that. I'm now in a very rigorous program where professors talk too quickly for us to keep up typing full out, let alone writing by hand so I accumulate several hours of back-notes weekly that I have to re-take at home already with full use of my computer. Now we're expected to have our laptops last the entire way through class. Did I mention each class is 3-4 hours with maybe 20min break spread through there? Maybe if we all had brand spanking new laptops that would be feasible but my clunker is solidly 2.5 years old and the idea that it'll last longer than an hour is comical.

The reasonable alternative is that we're supposed to print our notes before class. The only problems being that we have a solid 100 pages of notes on a weekly basis (that's three ppt slides to a page even) AND the notes are usually posted 5 minutes before class.

We're doomed unless one of you knows an inexpensive extension cord system that isn't a tripping hazard during a fire.

JibbaJabberwocky has a new favorite as of 03:52 on Oct 1, 2014

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I think my school was just visited by the fire marshal and failed because now magically we aren't allowed to have our computers plugged in during class because the cords are a hazard. We're in a really old building that was never meant to house a school so our only outlets are against the walls, there are none near to our desks. I had plenty of classes at my previous university where laptops were banned in class. Which is legit in situations where the professors accommodate for that. I'm now in a very rigorous program where professors talk too quickly for us to keep up typing full out, let alone writing by hand so I accumulate several hours of back-notes weekly that I have to re-take at home already with full use of my computer. Now we're expected to have our laptops last the entire way through class. Did I mention each class is 3-4 hours with maybe 20min break spread through there? Maybe if we all had brand spanking new laptops that would be feasible but my clunker is solidly 2.5 years old and the idea that it'll last longer than an hour is comical.

The reasonable alternative is that we're supposed to print our notes before class. The only problems being that we have a solid 100 pages of notes on a weekly basis (that's three ppt slides to a page even) AND the notes are usually posted 5 minutes before class.

We're doomed unless one of you knows an inexpensive extension cord system that isn't a tripping hazard during a fire.

If you have a smartphone you could invest in a bluetooth keyboard and just take notes on your phone when your laptop craps out. I've been doing that for a while now in some of my classes.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

You could buy a spare battery and swap it out on one of the breaks.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Justin Godscock posted:

I love it how these types are always on the really ginormous laptops meant for gaming (probably because mommy and daddy footed the bill so he figured to lie about what he needed). I had a $300 netbook strictly for typing essays that I always aced and used a coiled notebook for class notes because it was easier to flip through.

Ha ha, so true -- the students who are clearly taking notes are usually on small tablets or netbooks; the idlers almost always have a giant laptop.

This particular guy hauled his across the Atlantic, as he's one of the American exchange students. So not only is he wasting a fuckton of tuition by playing around all through class, but he's also pretty much ignoring one component of studying abroad. On the other hand, he does dress like someone out of Clueless.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I use my giant laptop for note-taking and nothing else in class because I always have to do everything in Word for printing purposes. My netbook is reserved for travel only. :colbert:

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Finisher1 posted:

If you have a smartphone you could invest in a bluetooth keyboard and just take notes on your phone when your laptop craps out. I've been doing that for a while now in some of my classes.

If he had a smartphone, he could just record the class and then write up stuff later.

Back in my day we didn't have no fancy phones. We took notes with pen and paper with one or two oddballs recording it on a tape recorder.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

chemosh6969 posted:

oddballs recording it on a tape recorder.

Hey, when your handwriting is atrocious, you gotta do what you gotta do :shrug:

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Ok this isn't a complaint at all just a question. Are galoshes in style or something? I've seen three different women on campus wearing bright rain galoshes, two were on days where it was 70+ and sunny and one wore them on a cloudy day that didn't rain at all. I'm in the upper midwest if that means anything.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

You guys are way behind, they've been in style here :canada: for a couple years now.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Uggs have assumed their ultimate form.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Bloopsy posted:

Ok this isn't a complaint at all just a question. Are galoshes in style or something? I've seen three different women on campus wearing bright rain galoshes, two were on days where it was 70+ and sunny and one wore them on a cloudy day that didn't rain at all. I'm in the upper midwest if that means anything.

Girls are batty for them here. I've not seen them wearing them on sunny or even cloudy days but they get positively giddy when they find out its raining. Girls like footwear, who knew?

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I almost always defend teachers when students mouth off about getting a lovely grade because of "trick questions" and whatnot, but this semester I have a physiology professor who gives really general and relaxed lectures and then the most insane multiple choice questions on exams.

In class: "Rabbits eat carrots! It's that simple!"

On Exam:
a. Rabbits ONLY eat carrots.
b. Rabbits ALWAYS EAT CARROTS IF THEY ARE AVAILABLE.
c. a & b
d. none of the above

It's like -- what the gently caress? Obviously that's not an actual question, but that's how every question is framed. She will constantly repeat something like RABBITS AND CARROTS. And then on the one question about RABBITS, all the answers that include CARROTS are false. I've never been so stressed out with a class in my life. I always get A's, and for the first time studying has literally no affect on exam success. My study group passed out completed exams around to figure out what the correct answers were, and everyone's exams had eraser marks on every question because everything was so vague.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Parking for my 11 am class is such a loving pain in the rear end. Every parking lot is full. Every single one of them. There's at least 10 cars circling the main parking lot. I said gently caress it and parked on the street. It's not like I show up at the last minute either. I usually get to school 30-45 minutes before class just for this reason.

If they want to give me a $25 ticket for parking on a side street, gently caress that, I'm going to fight it. Build another lot. Having 10 spaces in one of the lots does not make it a parking lot.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
gently caress papers. I can't go a week without writing a goddamn essay about some bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

gently caress papers. I can't go a week without writing a goddamn essay about some bullshit.

Yeah turns out you have to write in college whoa who knew. :iiam:

• Locked thread