Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Apparently Wrack released today? Really not sure what to make of that fact, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Make a big fat "meh" out of it because it was stunningly mediocre throughout the entire beta.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

quote:

Reviews
"It reminds me of first-person Mega Man." -- Keiji Inafune
"One of those better than it has any right to be experiences." -- Jim Sterling
"Wrack is great!" -- John Romero
"I think they're developing a really nice game here." -- TotalBiscuit

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Wasn't RetroBlazer trying to be first person Mega Man?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Zero Star posted:

If they remade Timesplitters in HD with characters, weapons and levels from all three games, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Will Timesplitters Rewind suffice? Granted they haven't had much of an update on it recently...

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Wrack plays quite well, only remember to disable the camera movement in settings. Other than that, it's fun ramping combos and slashing monsters. I've played it much more than new Shadow Warrior or ROTT, at least. The biggest bummer is lack of multiplayer.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Guys, it's Doom II's 20th birthday.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Good game IMO

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Commander Keenan posted:

Guys, it's Doom II's 20th birthday.

Let's have another hate orgy about Doom 2 in this thread in celebration.

I hate Doom 2 because the middle part has bad maps, which is unlike god's gift to FPS everywhere, Doom 1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Let's talk about the most interesting part of Doom II by far, the set of 32 maps it shipped with.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'd rather play bad Doom II maps than good maps of most any other game soooooooo

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Chasm is worse than The Pit

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like to call The Pit, "The poo poo".

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Speaking of maps, I know Misri Halek gets a lot of love, but I dunno if I'm really a fan of a map that takes like two hours to get through with cautious play (and excessive save scumming but regardless) and has so many tightly-compacted corridors looping over one another that it can get difficult to tell what room that door the switch I just hit opened up in.

Looping up the mountain was pretty nifty. Shame the actual fighting that came along with it was rather tedious (nowhere near enough Shells to go gung ho with the SSG, and they liked stacking two plasma packs atop one another so my OCD with not wasting ammo would get triggered every time I see my counter go from 480 to 600 instead of 580 - that's a whole two BFG shots I could be using somewhere else!).

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Let us Celebrate the Gifts DooM II has given us

Like the lovely chaingunner

Who doesn't love this hitscan fuckers?

Or the

Super Shotgun

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Super_shotgun?file=DoubleBarreled_firing2.jpg
Let's take the awesome shotgun and make it super.

The Hell Knight

We wanted to spam Barons but our players would hate us so we made these!

Pain Elemental

Who doesn't love them some lost souls?

Mancubus

I'm too lazy to find gifs for the others atm, but DooM II added a lot of nice enemies to mix it up with.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Mancubus owns because he loves the hell out of starting infighting with his sweeping attacks. Cool dude imo.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
No pictures of the Arachnotron, I am sad. They are the best.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The skeleton guys are my favorite

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Don't forget, Doom II added the Megasphere as well! Cool new enemies, one new gun, and one new pickup. Not to mention 32 brand new maps of varying quality. Let's celebrate Doom II's 20th anniversary by playing a relatively new megawad, instead of playing stock Doom II. It's called Resurgence and it's probably the best megawad I've played all year. Difficulty is pretty high, but I think it is fair. If you like beautiful, challenging, hell themed maps, Resurgence is a must-play. I can't think of a better way to celebrate Doom II than by not playing Doom II.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
IMO, Doom 2 is good.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

straight jerkers posted:

The skeleton guys are my favorite

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Enemies that can hit you while you're moving, enemies with interesting attacks that make them fun to manipulate, mmm. Hell of a game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
http://gifsound.com/?gif=i58.photobucket.com/albums/g255/nazdinx/doom/Doom--Mancubus.gif&v=_Vj092UgKwQ

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Alright I found a site

Let us continue with the Arachnotron

Armed with plasma they are plenty scary. Also loud as poo poo.

Spider Mastermind

The big brother to the Arachnotrons armed with a hitscan weapon so he tends to be quite scary.

Archvilles

Really just giant dicks, tho they are somewhat useful in certain speedruns.

Revenant

"Hey what if an enemy had homing rockets?"

And the saving the best for last
RomeroIcon of Sin

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I preordered Doom II and the only part I was disappointed with was MAP30.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
uh excuse me the spider mastermind was in E3M8 of the original!!!!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I had pirated disks of Doom 2 but then in college I was required to turn in work on floppies so I overwrote them.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
http://gifsound.com/?gif=www.cslab.ntua.gr/~phib/images/doom/anim/skel1.gif&v=m9We2XsVZfc&s=11

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

uh excuse me the spider mastermind was in E3M8 of the original!!!!

You are correct but he looks badass so he gets to stay. Also whenever I try to edit my posts all links are removed...

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I would unironically buy an "AGITATING SKELETON" t-shirt.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What I find most interesting about Doom and similar early FPS is how each enemy type acts as its own puzzle piece in putting together the gameplay. Nowadays you essentially get enemies with the same capabilities as you and you just have to either brute force it by shooting more bullets than the other or finesse it by shooting more accurately. I'd love to see a modern FPS make an attempt at the brilliant cohesiveness that we get with Doom's enemies.

Shadow Hog posted:

Looping up the mountain was pretty nifty. Shame the actual fighting that came along with it was rather tedious (nowhere near enough Shells to go gung ho with the SSG, and they liked stacking two plasma packs atop one another so my OCD with not wasting ammo would get triggered every time I see my counter go from 480 to 600 instead of 580 - that's a whole two BFG shots I could be using somewhere else!).
Get Smart Scavenger

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 30, 2014

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Segmentation Fault posted:

I would unironically buy an "AGITATING SKELETON" t-shirt.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
http://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/S7M42oV.gif&v=10uRa4oENus

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Here's an interesting factoid I just remembered: The pirated version of Doom II that was going around BBSs in my area was some kind of late beta build or something and you couldn't Deathmatch with anyone that actually bought it thanks to the version mismatch. Very few people in my area had the pirated version so this basically locked you out of multiplayer.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Perfection.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

What I find most interesting about Doom and similar early FPS is how each enemy type acts as its own puzzle piece in putting together the gameplay. Nowadays you essentially get enemies with the same capabilities as you and you just have to either brute force it by shooting more bullets than the other or finesse it by shooting more accurately. I'd love to see a modern FPS make an attempt at the brilliant cohesiveness that we get with Doom's enemies.

Get Smart Scavenger

quoted for truth I played through Far Cry 3 recently and wow what a boring game (due to lack of enemy variety)

heres a list of enemies in far cry 3:

-bad dudes with red bandanas
-bad dudes with yellow helmets and armor who are slightly harder to kill than the red bandana guys

thats it not counting the boss fights which were also pretty lackluster

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Alternatively, The bone man with the rocket gun

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I never thought I'd find a legitimate use for Mock 2: The Speed of Stupid music, but here we are

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The one Japanese early FPS fan. We need to get him an account.

Actually wait no there's the guy who draws the cool Doom fanart on Pixiv. So, two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Someone should get this guy to redraw all the sprites and release a special wad.