Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

gently caress them posted:

I just wasted a ton of time because I forgot to include a script file. jQuery-UI is not jQuery. And to think the hints were so strong when I was beating up nuGet to stop being retarded about version conflicts with JQuery.DataTables and jQuery actual.

Lol

E: this thread is for me I'd be unemployable without stack overflow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

The Leck posted:

are you me? this is worryingly accurate.

Janitor Prime posted:

god drat it same

Unless you just got where you are - it sounds like you've been coasting a LOT longer than I have - polish up the resume or hire that RtI goonservice, send it out to places in a hot market, make sure you know how to find a good team with source control, code reviews, acceptance, TESTING, and such (and don't get suckered like I did where management just learned what to say but don't actually loving DO it) and get up and move. gently caress.

I called up Robert Half in Raleigh NC, emailed a resume, bullshat on the phone, and I'll have my second phone interview today, in 45 minutes - it's been a week and I'm asking way over market. If I was more willing to settle I'd have a torrent. Imagine what you'd get if you were in a truly huge area for development work?

Now's the time to get up and make poo poo happen, not tomorrow.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I just wasted a ton of time because I forgot to include a script file. jQuery-UI is not jQuery. And to think the hints were so strong when I was beating up nuGet to stop being retarded about version conflicts with JQuery.DataTables and jQuery actual.

nuget has so much potential but it's such a pain in the rear end sometimes :argh:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tef posted:

are you more worried about fart throughput or odour latencies?

The nose processing time is likely to dominate so

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

prefect posted:

nuget has so much potential but it's such a pain in the rear end sometimes :argh:

To be fair it was relatively painless once I just uninstalled everything and did it in the right order from scratch. Dependency poo poo is always a pain.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nuget is really stupid and sucks hardcore compared to maven.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the talent deficit posted:

this no longer exists

the lisp system, or air canada?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

shaggar is eternally right, on this particular subject

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
i broke something in java (▰˘◡˘▰)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Unless you just got where you are - it sounds like you've been coasting a LOT longer than I have - polish up the resume or hire that RtI goonservice, send it out to places in a hot market, make sure you know how to find a good team with source control, code reviews, acceptance, TESTING, and such (and don't get suckered like I did where management just learned what to say but don't actually loving DO it) and get up and move. gently caress.

I called up Robert Half in Raleigh NC, emailed a resume, bullshat on the phone, and I'll have my second phone interview today, in 45 minutes - it's been a week and I'm asking way over market. If I was more willing to settle I'd have a torrent. Imagine what you'd get if you were in a truly huge area for development work?

i am robert whole and can offer you double

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Shaggar posted:

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

BONGHITZ posted:

i am robert whole and can offer you double

My point was if $Recruiter can make poo poo happen fast, from out of state, and in an area that - while major - is NOT like Austin, SFO, Seattle, or NYC, for me, someone with even more experience, heading to an even bigger market, can make it happen even faster.

Now's the time to make a move. Not later. Certainly not after the next bubble pop where you might get stuck doing jack poo poo, or worse, laid off.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
apparently python 3.4 introduced a statistics module into the standard library. this module includes a new exception type, StatisticsError, which is just a "subclass of ValueError for statistics-related exceptions".

reading through the first page linked above, it looks like StatisticsError is only ever raised when a function expects a non-empty collection but receives an empty one. basically, a situation where elsewhere i'd expect to see ValueError raised.

please help this idiot programmer understand: why isn't a simple ValueError raised instead? why did the module authors bother subclassing ValueError here? i understand in general why exception hierarchies exist and are useful, but in this particular case i don't understand why they didn't just make use of ValueError as-is.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
now that i have root access to the build server i can develop terribly at twice the speed!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

my place in the triangle area is hiring if you want to pm me i'l give you the straight dope (i'm a coward who wont stick his neck out for himself let alone strangers on the internet tho so lol sorry not recommending any yosposters unless they're from the good programmer thread). i think it's a decent place to work.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 1, 2014

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

my place in the triangle area is hiring if you want to pm me i'l give you the straight dope (i'm a coward who wont stick his neck out for himself let alone strangers on the internet tho so lol sorry not recommending any yosposters unless they're from the good programmer thread). i think it's a decent place to work.

you should gtfo of NC before they finish turning it into SC

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i really like carrboro atm it owns a lot. it's like when i lived in humboldt except there are jobs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
NC would be one of the best places to live if it weren't for the hosed up state gov.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i really like carrboro atm it owns a lot. it's like when i lived in humboldt except there are jobs.

heh, i used to live on greensboro st. just past carr mill mall

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

NC would be one of the best places to live if it weren't for the hosed up state gov.

fortunately isis became a thing about a month after i moved here so i havent had to hear anything about our state gov except that apparently some idiots banned gay marriage a few years ago. but it sounds like it's getting repealed which makes thme better than california

also banning global warming or something

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Stringent posted:

you should gtfo of NC before they finish turning it into SC

Grew up in Raleigh, didn't leave until 2006. State govt has some tea-stupid but the triangle loving rules ok.

Plus Durham has just gone from scary to :vince:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

SENT

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

compuserved posted:

please help this idiot programmer understand: why isn't a simple ValueError raised instead? why did the module authors bother subclassing ValueError here? i understand in general why exception hierarchies exist and are useful, but in this particular case i don't understand why they didn't just make use of ValueError as-is.

That's stupid and the module authors blew it. If something already exists and does the job fine, you're supposed to use it, not make another thing that does the same thing (and then not even use it).

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

CPColin posted:

That's stupid and the module authors blew it. If something already exists and does the job fine, you're supposed to use it, not make another thing that does the same thing (and then not even use it).

okay, good to know i'm not missing something. thanks for your post :tipshat:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Unless you just got where you are - it sounds like you've been coasting a LOT longer than I have - polish up the resume or hire that RtI goonservice, send it out to places in a hot market, make sure you know how to find a good team with source control, code reviews, acceptance, TESTING, and such (and don't get suckered like I did where management just learned what to say but don't actually loving DO it) and get up and move.
physician, heal thyself

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

okay i installed windows 8.1 in a vm and i'm using this Express Written Permission i have from valve to use game assets in my applications to write a thing and become a BILLIONAIRE overnight (not really)

now writing it is easy of course but making a fancy Metro Windows 8.1 RT ui that works for devices of varying resolution will probably be hard as i, an autist, cannot design beautiful things

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

plz continue to make windows applications and never any osx or ios software thx

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

theadder posted:

plz continue to make windows applications and never any osx or ios software thx

that would require me to both learn objective-c swift and pay crapple a hundred dollars and i cannot afford that where microsoft thinks i'm a college student so i have free vs2013 ultimate free windows 8.1 and free app store access

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaggar posted:

Enabling nuget package restore.

(shaggar was right)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

~Coxy posted:

(shaggar was right)

and package restore method that added a .nuget directory to source control? that's deprecated now. but if it gets turned back on (which is easy with a misclick), you have to go scrub nuget-specific poo poo out of your project and solution files :argh:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
hello my name is jenkins and i don;t check out submodules in git unless u specifically loving tell me to

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

and package restore method that added a .nuget directory to source control? that's deprecated now. but if it gets turned back on (which is easy with a misclick), you have to go scrub nuget-specific poo poo out of your project and solution files :argh:

isn't that the only way to get the packages back if you're building outside of VS though? unless you script running nuget yourself? like how is it supposed to work with a CI server if it isn't part of the build

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

chmods please posted:

isn't that the only way to get the packages back if you're building outside of VS though? unless you script running nuget yourself? like how is it supposed to work with a CI server if it isn't part of the build

you're supposed to add a call to "nuget restore $solution" before you run msbuild

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

coffeetable posted:

physician, heal thyself

I should be out of here in a month. I walk my talk. Besides, I'm not being critical. I'm saying there's a better future out there.

Also nuget just hosed me too. Didn't install the jquery ui css.

I thought nuget was supposed to be less effort than just downloading a zip myself. WELP.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

hello my name is jenkins and i don;t check out submodules in git unless u specifically loving tell me to

i ran into that poo poo too, it's real annoying that recursive checkout isn't default. also had a thing where jenkins would just lock up once every dozen page requests, requiring a kill/restart to continue working

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
jenkins is a piece of poo poo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nuget sucks because nuget works 0% behind a corporate proxy loving lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bobbilljim posted:

submodules are evil

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

nuget sucks because nuget works 0% behind a corporate proxy loving lmao

nuget supports proxies and works fine

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Symbolic Butt posted:

jenkins is a piece of poo poo

you go to hell and you die

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

submodules are evil

you are correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

prefect posted:

you go to hell and you die

ok then it's the sumodules fault idk

what I know is that I worked at 2 different projects using jenkins and in both of them jenkins was barely functioning, it was mostly a piece of poo poo breaking all the time

• Locked thread