Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Sadly, we'll probably never play Bugs Bunny Doom, which is a real shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I just started playing cooperative Doom RL Arsenal with two of my friends. None of us have played Doom since the 90's, would anyone be able to recommend a map pack that would be appropriate for fresh-faced newbies to churn through in a couple of hours? We ran through the Doom 2 campaign first and that took us about four hours, but for a lot of the maps we spent more time running around and backtracking trying to find keys or doors we had missed instead of fighting so I'm hoping to find something with a little more inertia.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Segmentation Fault posted:

The one Japanese early FPS fan. We need to get him an account.

Actually wait no there's the guy who draws the cool Doom fanart on Pixiv. So, two?
There's also tatsurdcacocaco.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

laserghost posted:

Sadly, we'll probably never play Bugs Bunny Doom, which is a real shame.

That's way higher quality than I was expecting.

Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON

Sweet, I am going to shamelessly steal your joke.

Also, Doom II is probably the best 'tool set' to create good looking and playing levels. The enemy and weapon variety is pretty much perfect.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Edit: Guess this was mentioned last page, but I've got a trailer embed, so there.

After a loooooong haul in development, Wrack was released today on Steam. Very Doom-style FPS by one of the original developers of Skulltag. Full level editor and Steam Workshop support included, natch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ-D9r_5PMA

It seems to have really found its own identity over the past six months of development. It's gotten a bit faster, louder and more cartoony, and seems to have put more weight and emphasis on combos and kill-chains rather than playing it safe. Seems pretty solid.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Duke Jan posted:

Also, Doom II is probably the best 'tool set' to create good looking and playing levels. The enemy and weapon variety is pretty much perfect.
I wonder if this wasn't actually the idea behind Doom 2 all along. The maps might've been included just so there's a full game present. It wouldn't be until 16 years after Doom 2 where Valve learned through Alien Swarm that you can't release a mere toolset for video game content without including actual content behind it.

Dominic White posted:

Edit: Guess this was mentioned last page, but I've got a trailer embed, so there.

After a loooooong haul in development, Wrack was released today on Steam. Very Doom-style FPS by one of the original developers of Skulltag. Full level editor and Steam Workshop support included, natch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ-D9r_5PMA

It seems to have really found its own identity over the past six months of development. It's gotten a bit faster, louder and more cartoony, and seems to have put more weight and emphasis on combos and kill-chains rather than playing it safe. Seems pretty solid.
Is Bobby Prince still on the team as musician? They don't mention him and I remember his inclusion being a big bullet point to sell the game to the retro FPS crowd.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 30, 2014

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

-bad dudes with red bandanas
-bad dudes with yellow helmets and armor who are slightly harder to kill than the red bandana guys

thats it not counting the boss fights which were also pretty lackluster

So not counting tigers, snakes, crocodiles, sharks, boars, cassowaries, bears, dingoes, rabid dogs and komodo dragons? Because I got killed by all of them at one point or another.

Also happy birthday Doom II, you may have had some questionable level design but everything else was amazing.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Is Bobby Prince still on the team as musician? They don't mention him and I remember his inclusion being a big bullet point to sell the game to the retro FPS crowd.

I'm pretty sure - the music has stayed the same throughout development, I believe. That's one of the few things that has remained static.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

And this guy. People should definitely play that btw

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Dominic White posted:

I'm pretty sure - the music has stayed the same throughout development, I believe. That's one of the few things that has remained static.

Awesome. I remember not liking the music at one point. It felt very flat and lackluster. However the music in that trailer made my jizz evacuate my body so I dunno if Prince just stepped his game up or what.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The one Japanese early FPS fan. We need to get him an account.

Actually wait no there's the guy who draws the cool Doom fanart on Pixiv. So, two?

Marathon has a really super tiny Japanese fanbase too. You could play with them online a few years ago at off hours.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

straight jerkers posted:

And this guy. People should definitely play that btw

Oh thanks, I've been looking for that. A classic.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Convex posted:

So not counting tigers, snakes, crocodiles, sharks, boars, cassowaries, bears, dingoes, rabid dogs and komodo dragons? Because I got killed by all of them at one point or another.

Those are are enemies in the sense that the exploding barrels and nukage in Doom are enemies.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I had tried Wrack a few years back and wasn't fond of it but this newer version looks decent. I already had it on Steam from when they went Early Access so I decided to give it a shot. First impression: My mouse doesn't work in game no matter what I do, but still works in the menus.

9/10 it's alright

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

This looks to be the mod I never knew I wanted. Thanks.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I had tried Wrack a few years back and wasn't fond of it but this newer version looks decent. I already had it on Steam from when they went Early Access so I decided to give it a shot. First impression: My mouse doesn't work in game no matter what I do, but still works in the menus.

Multi-monitor setup, by any chance? About 90% of the weird input bugs I see in games nowadays seem to stem from that.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jblade posted:

look at these scrubs, Mapster32 4 life :colbert:

How does this even work? Doom Builder is fairly easy to grasp but this hurts just to look at. :psyduck:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We didn't get Looney Doom but we got this licensed Xmen game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfIx7efqvf4

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Dominic White posted:

Multi-monitor setup, by any chance? About 90% of the weird input bugs I see in games nowadays seem to stem from that.

Nope, just a regular single monitor and a USB mouse. I asked about it on the Steam forums. One of the devs hangs out there, maybe he'll help.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

McDowell posted:

We didn't get Looney Doom but we got this licensed Xmen game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfIx7efqvf4

I remember playing this years ago, thought it was just some random mod not a fully licensed game.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Woolie Wool posted:

How does this even work? Doom Builder is fairly easy to grasp but this hurts just to look at. :psyduck:

It would look a lot better if whoever taken the screenshot hadn't use a low quality JPEG that blurs everything to hell and back.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Woolie Wool posted:

Well, that's basically what happens when you allow sector over sector mapping but have a 2d editor.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Well, that's basically what happens when you allow sector over sector mapping but have a 2d editor.

I'm reminded of stories of the Marathon 2 level The Hard Stuff Rules; it was named that not because it's a difficult level but because of how difficult it was to make in the first place.

That mess in the middle is many stacked floors. The level is a gradual ascent up an alien tower, culminating in an assault on the "leaves" that spread out from the top floor.

The thing is, Marathon supported not just room-over-room but room-within-room; you could have multiple sectors that occupied the same coordinates, including height, but were distinct spaces (called "5D space" -- it's a 2.5D engine, so folding it over itself must make it 5D, rigt?). This was used for all kinds of clever trickery including things like rooms that were different depending on what door you entered them from and deathmatch levels containing multiple "planes" of existence. However -- at least when working on M2 -- the editor had very little support for using this effectively.

The result of this was that when working on THSR, they had to edit the lower floors by grabbing all of the upper sectors and moving them out of the way, making the edits, and then moving the upper floors back into place. Saving after each step, of course, because the editor did not like this at all and was very, very crashy.

This may explain why Marathon maps with lots of verticality are relatively common -- 6000 Feet Under, Kill Your Television, and A Converted Church in Venice, Italy, come to mind -- but levels that make significant use of RoR are much rarer.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Kamrat posted:

I remember playing this years ago, thought it was just some random mod not a fully licensed game.

It started out as an unlicensed mod and it got bought out instead of being foxed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Elliotw2 posted:

Oh god, I remember hashing out some ridiculous Duke levels, and god help you if you could see two floors overlapping during gameplay. My eyes!

They actually pull that off fairly often in Duke, even in E1M1, with the spiral staircase, and the projection room.

I'm fairly sure that, to edit each floor in Build, you had to first have them not overlap, work on them, and then lasso-select and drag everything where you wanted it. What a nightmare. And they started the game off that way!

Edit: holy poo poo, two posts up, this guy gets it.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
So can anyone answer this question that has plagued me since Doom 2's release: Is the Zombie Chaingunner wearing a goatee, or does he just have a really bloody mouth? I think it's both.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChickenHeart posted:

So can anyone answer this question that has plagued me since Doom 2's release: Is the Zombie Chaingunner wearing a goatee, or does he just have a really bloody mouth? I think it's both.

He's got blood on his goatee.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Shadow Hog posted:

Apparently Wrack released today? Really not sure what to make of that fact, though.

I bought it a while back and found it hugely disappointing. The maps and enemies and weapons are all garbage.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Meanwhile, in Doom, doing room-over-room requires making the in-level sector as tall as the difference between the ceiling of the top room and the floor of the bottom room, and then having several dummy sectors outside of the map with the positions of the tops/bottoms every division in-between is supposed to have. Not to mention, every different combination of divisions would require it's own tag. Time-consuming, to put it mildly, but it looks great when done well.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Blzut3 has implemented the first stages of room over room (yes, that's right!) in ECWolf. You'll have multiple planes of tiles of various heights stacked atop one another, so you might have a 64-high plane containing one room, a 16-high plane containing the ceiling of the lower room and the floor of the higher room in the middle, and a 64-high plane on top with the second room. The effect will be like 3D printing a level.

You'll have to use it sparingly though, because it's extremely CPU heavy, much like ZDoom 3D floors. And don't expect to use it yourself without a proper UWMF (ECWolf's native map format) level editor because there's no way the binary Wolfenstein level format will handle it. There's all sorts of poo poo I could already do if I could edit UWMF directly that would be impossible or prohibitively complicated to do in binary format using the xlat lump (one thing that comes to mind would be pushwalls or remote walls moving any distance I want at any speed I want instead of having to predefine everything).

ToxicFrog posted:

The thing is, Marathon supported not just room-over-room but room-within-room; you could have multiple sectors that occupied the same coordinates, including height, but were distinct spaces (called "5D space" -- it's a 2.5D engine, so folding it over itself must make it 5D, rigt?). This was used for all kinds of clever trickery including things like rooms that were different depending on what door you entered them from and deathmatch levels containing multiple "planes" of existence. However -- at least when working on M2 -- the editor had very little support for using this effectively.

The result of this was that when working on THSR, they had to edit the lower floors by grabbing all of the upper sectors and moving them out of the way, making the edits, and then moving the upper floors back into place. Saving after each step, of course, because the editor did not like this at all and was very, very crashy.

This may explain why Marathon maps with lots of verticality are relatively common -- 6000 Feet Under, Kill Your Television, and A Converted Church in Venice, Italy, come to mind -- but levels that make significant use of RoR are much rarer.

I'd install Aleph One just to play a map that went completely fuckballs insane with the 5D space, or any other early FPS map that does similar things. To hell with rational geometry, I want to see the eldritch architecture of R'lyeh in all its impossibly convoluted glory!

Shadow Hog posted:

Meanwhile, in Doom, doing room-over-room requires making the in-level sector as tall as the difference between the ceiling of the top room and the floor of the bottom room, and then having several dummy sectors outside of the map with the positions of the tops/bottoms every division in-between is supposed to have. Not to mention, every different combination of divisions would require it's own tag. Time-consuming, to put it mildly, but it looks great when done well.

Which implementation is this? There are several, including Eternity's linked portals and whatever Vavoom does.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 1, 2014

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

TOOT BOOT posted:

It started out as an unlicensed mod and it got bought out instead of being foxed.

Ah that would explain why I thought it was just a mod. Thanks for the info. :)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

Which implementation is this? There are several, including Eternity's linked portals and whatever Vavoom does.
The only ones I've worked with are Legacy's and [G]ZDoom's, which are pretty much the same in basic usage (roughly how I spelt it out earlier). I believe ZDoom can emulate Vavoom-style if you want to, though, and it also has stacked sectors I suppose?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Woolie Wool posted:

Blzut3 has implemented the first stages of room over room (yes, that's right!) in ECWolf.

Dude's loving insane I love it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

This has been planned since 2012 at least, BTW.

Although it's not quite as insane as I had hoped it would be, I was hoping I could stack shitloads of 16-high planes with 16x16 tiles to create basically a crude sort of Minecraftenstein until Blzut3 told me that while it's theoretically possible, it's not remotely feasible to actually make a level like that.

Also I discovered the wonders of the Opus codec recently, which is so efficient that a 48kbps Opus sounds like a 128kbps MP3, so I will probably be able to pack the mod and its soundtrack into a 30 MB pk3 and dispense with the Adlib soundtrack altogether.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Amethyst posted:

I bought it a while back and found it hugely disappointing. The maps and enemies and weapons are all garbage.

Same. I tried it again today and they made it faster but the enemies and weapons are still garbage.

Also Bobby Prince can't write good music unless he is ripping off popular music.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Also Bobby Prince can't write good music unless he is ripping off popular music.

loving wrong. Sign of Evil is one of the best pieces of music to come from video games.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Wrack has absolutely awful music, some of the worst I've heard in a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPAKnvtUBRw

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Wrack is fun, just don't try to play it like Doom even though Doom is clearly a heavy inspiration. Play it more like Devil May Cry if Devil May Cry was a 90s FPS.

EDIT: Also yeah, the music is no where near as good as Prince's work on Doom. The sound is definitely the weak point IMO, the shotgun especially needs way more oomph.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

The recent derail about mapmaking made me remember making some Quake maps a very long time ago, in QED or Quark.

I never actually finished my Team Fortress map, but I had most of one side completed. Back in those days, was the way to finish a symmetrical map just copy/pasting one side and mirroring it? I feel like it would have been a horror show of fixing leaks and weird geometry problems. Was there a way to do it with a bit more finesse?