Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Ino in general is a lot less vain and more respecting of her teammates as her friends. The entire fight with Asuma in the Shinobi War was the end of the team as a whole's character development, but Ino's gotten more than most female characters and it's meant to be her, Shikamaru, and Choji's last bout of significance. Temari's also had character development, but it's mostly in that she's no longer a haughty girl who looks upon others as Shikamaru (And general relations with the Leaf) have by and large tempered her bad attitude and she readily reminds Shikamaru of his duties as Gaara's proxy. There's also showing care for her brother now which she never showed or even indicated prior to the second half although that may just be something that wasn't thought up to that point.

Literally no other female characters receive actual character development because they end up being started and stopped or forgotten about entirely. Even Anko who is supposed to have plot significance has no presence in the actual story.

Tsunade also had character development in her introductory arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
This all comes down to Part 1 being better written than Part 2, you realize.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
It's nice that kishimoto wants me to believe naruto and sasuke are going to fight with their fists in that waterfall place, what with their reality-defying powers and godlike ninja magic arts.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Asuron posted:

Nah people give Oda crap for how his female characters are designed and are being used in recent years. He still has some pretty good female characters like early Nami, early Robin, Big Mom and Kuina. It's just later the first two don't get quite the same amount of moments they used too and most female characters in the story are based off their designs, so most of them look the same and don't contribute nearly as much to make up for it.

In Naruto I can't think of a female character who's ever been truly useful or written well at any point except maybe Temari.
Konan kicked the poo poo out of Obito before Kishimoto apparently remembered he had to win the fight.

If she'd known Izanagi was a thing beforehand, she would have Batman'd up a countermeasure to that too and this manga would have ended years ago :colbert:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kakashi frees Sakura, and together they think up a way to free everyone from the pods. Anyone with a grudge against Sasuke (everyone) then heads over to the Valley, where they each get a two-page spread of punching Sasuke in the face, thus extending the manga by another few months.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

U.T. Raptor posted:

Konan kicked the poo poo out of Obito before Kishimoto apparently remembered he had to win the fight.

If she'd known Izanagi was a thing beforehand, she would have Batman'd up a countermeasure to that too and this manga would have ended years ago :colbert:
Another six hundred billion exploding tags?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

quote:

"We must stop reading!" ADTRW said, as they read another.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Every other Akatsuki members gets to take off their cloak and reveal some badass new technique before they die.

Except the female member, of course. :v:

Granted, she injured Obito, but still.

It's an addiction, really.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

This thread has made me realize the only manga I read (aside from the occasional cooking manga) are Naruto and Bleach. When those two are done, I know a great weight will be lifted from me. Thank you, Ninja Jesus and Samurai Ghost Jesus.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Every other Akatsuki members gets to take off their cloak and reveal some badass new technique before they die.

She's also the only one that didn't need too. She and shark man were the only two members of that terrible team even worth acknowledging, the Akatsuki were lame as poo poo.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's an addiction, really.

Actually Kishimoto drew what she looked like under the cloak, it just didn't end up in the manga.

Some data book thing posted:

In Naruto Hiden: Sha no Sho Character Official Data Book, Masashi Kishimoto revealed that he'd always planned for Konan to be the only female member of Akatsuki, and, for that reason, gave her quite a revealing design. He jokingly comments that "she's obscene, but she still wears clothes, although her Akatsuki mantle covers it up, and she turns into paper right away". In the concept artwork, her navel is also shown to be pierced.

Bolding mine, it's about what I expected :suicide:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Why would anyone wear something like that in a place where it rains all the time?

No wonder she kept the cloak on 24/7.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Sasuke's not really hard to understand, I mean if you look at it in any sort of critical way both him and Naruto are acting incredibly stupidly to their situation. Naruto seems so dumbly naive which is sort of his character, and the one that is narratively "right". Sasuke has almost 0 reason to have loyalty to anyone, and frankly going at it on his own has sort of worked out.. he survived everything and was gifted god-like powers while everyone else more or less died. I mean it's dumb he can't just chill at this point but I guess it's understandable he doesn't want a repeat of the whole process again, though what he's doing completely ignores the entire message that's been shoved in his face so far

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Ehh, the magic of how stupid things will get is lost on me. On the bright side, there's still the question of whether Kishimoto will go through with trying to make brain damage the hero at the last moment, like he's been (most likely entirely subconsciously) been teasing since Orochimaru died the first time.

I guess I'll hang on to the end, just to see how badly they cock up the ending.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm thinking at the end of this battle, they'll redub the location as the "Valley of the Beginning."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The Great Naruto Valley

Caros
May 14, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

The Great Naruto Valley Crater

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
Let us not fight in this place that we already leveled 20 times today due to our fighting and is now a giant crater... let us go fight at a historical monument!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Spidder posted:

Let us not fight in this place that we already leveled 20 times today due to our fighting and is now a giant crater... let us go fight at a historical monument!

So they destroy it and new statues are made in their honor stupid.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
This would be like the US and Russia going to have a war over the statue of liberty or something.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Wait, so what happened to Orochimaru again? Is he stuck in the genjutsu too?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AshB posted:

Wait, so what happened to Orochimaru again? Is he stuck in the genjutsu too?

Maybe. It's possible he snaked out of it and is just watching Sasuke through ninja binoculars.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

Maybe. It's possible he snaked out of it and is just watching Sasuke through ninja binoculars.

He becomes Sasuke, like Doc Oc did to Peter Parker, once Naruto gets him weak enough.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Kild posted:

He becomes Sasuke, like Doc Oc did to Peter Parker, once Naruto gets him weak enough.

No! Orochimaru was always Naruto's greatest enemy!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gyges posted:

Those are his two favorite things in the world to do, after all.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kild posted:

I swear to god I will quit this manga forever if there is yet another villain switch to Orochimaru. I like him just fine but I can't handle dealing with yet another bit of bullshit like that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think my favorite thing about Big O is that in spite of his legendary love of fresh young boys he barely ever even noticed Naruto. Ninja jesus is the homely friend that makes the pretty one look better by contrast.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It's probably pretty difficult to crush narutos will unlike sasuke who has changes his resolve every other day and will likely change his resolve again during this fight.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Brother is on my back and in my heart.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Two new Springtime of Youth! :dance:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

why oh why can't Taira write the main manga :(

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

guys, I know whose gonna win but i aint tellin heheh

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

I love the idea that Orochimaru can just call up Jiraiya and Tsunade whenever he wants just to drink together, and they are just fine with it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I choose to believe that's canon.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its pretty amazing how all of the characters in spring time of youth are better realized than in the official manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Allarion posted:

I love the idea that Orochimaru can just call up Jiraiya and Tsunade whenever he wants just to drink together, and they are just fine with it.

Even though he insists on poisoning them every time, they just never learn!

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

I think Naruto SD's had an influence on the main series. Could anyone honestly picture Orochimaru from the start of part 2 as comic relief? Now look at 'im :allears:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Pyrotoad posted:

I think Naruto SD's had an influence on the main series. Could anyone honestly picture Orochimaru from the start of part 2 as comic relief? Now look at 'im :allears:

Well, TenTen's personality (what little we've seen) is pretty much directly lifted from SD, so yeah I'd say it's likely.

Speaking of TT, whatever happened to those sealing tools?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Flytrap posted:

Speaking of TT, whatever happened to those sealing tools?
The scroll she put them in got destroyed by a meteor, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there anywhere or anyone to whom we can write, to petition that the Springtime mangaka take over the writing duties from Kishimoto?

• Locked thread