Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Almost every one of their Robert Downey Jr. heads is great except for the eyes. That Pratt up there is the same. I don't literally mean the eyeballs, but the face sculpt around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think it's that the eyes fall into the uncanny valley part of it. The rest is so so good, but the eyes don't quite match up and feel creepy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't really sculpt eyes that look right. Real or digital, something is always off.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Has anyone cancelled a pre-order with Walgreens before? I found Agent Venom today and don't really feel like waiting an undefined amount of time for my "pre-order" to ship from them, but I can't find a way to cancel the order.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

funtax posted:

Has anyone cancelled a pre-order with Walgreens before? I found Agent Venom today and don't really feel like waiting an undefined amount of time for my "pre-order" to ship from them, but I can't find a way to cancel the order.

I'm sure you'll find someone more than willing to take it off your hands when it ships.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

funtax posted:

You have to call their customer service

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009
Did anyone get the Figma Iron Man mark 7? I wouldn't mind seeing some non-professional promo-esque pics of it.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I saw Black Widow for the first time in the wild today. I wasn't willing to jump at it for $25, but hot drat, that is a nice figure. I can see why she's so popular now.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Agrias120 posted:

I saw Black Widow for the first time in the wild today. I wasn't willing to jump at it for $25, but hot drat, that is a nice figure. I can see why she's so popular now.

I see her occasionally at the Target near me for $19.99, do you want me to pick one up if I happen across her again?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Mr. Yuk posted:

I see her occasionally at the Target near me for $19.99, do you want me to pick one up if I happen across her again?

I appreciate the offer, but I'll probably just pick her up if I see her at a normal price while I'm out and about. She'd look good on the shelf, but she's not a character I am dying to get. Thanks, though! :)

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Had an extra Black Widow from making two mandroids, so I converted her into a Domino, since the older 2-pack one is awful.

Beanpants fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 29, 2014

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

That is insanely cool. Do you mind sharing what paints you used?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Beanpants posted:

Had an extra Black Widow from making two mandroids, so I converted her into a Domino, since the older 2-pack one is awful.

poo poo like this is why I miss customizing figures. That looks cool as hell.

But I always ruined my toys. I've customized hot toys figures before, and regretted it every day. :(

The worst one was my SS Premium Format Exclusive Jason. I loved that thing. But it was in a iffy place, and got knocked over. The exclusive machete arm broke and the exclusive head was dinged up pretty bad. :negative: so I painted it up to look like he does at the end of part 3 with all the blood. It looks OK, but it still haunts me. I can never sell it now. It's worthless. Not that I collect for profit, but you never know how things are.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

poo poo like this is why I miss customizing figures. That looks cool as hell.

But I always ruined my toys. I've customized hot toys figures before, and regretted it every day. :(

The worst one was my SS Premium Format Exclusive Jason. I loved that thing. But it was in a iffy place, and got knocked over. The exclusive machete arm broke and the exclusive head was dinged up pretty bad. :negative: so I painted it up to look like he does at the end of part 3 with all the blood. It looks OK, but it still haunts me. I can never sell it now. It's worthless. Not that I collect for profit, but you never know how things are.

Well technically I think it's value probably tanked when it broke, not from the paint. But it's value is in how much you enjoy it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh, of course. But sometimes things happen, and you have to get rid of stuff. It just kinda sucks that I ruined this really great collectable. (Even taking the value away, I'm not happy with my paint job. )

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

CelticPredator posted:

Oh, of course. But sometimes things happen, and you have to get rid of stuff. It just kinda sucks that I ruined this really great collectable. (Even taking the value away, I'm not happy with my paint job. )

Let one of us paint it. Not saying we'll do a better job, but we are all our own worst critics.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

The Rage posted:

That is insanely cool. Do you mind sharing what paints you used?

I use my grumbacher paints for the body colors, but when it comes to flesh tones, it's easier just to buy a bunch of Citadel paints from Games Workshop. Her skin tone here is like "Witch Flesh" or somesuch.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I always want to customize figures, but I'm worried that I'd make a mistake and ruin one. So far all I've done is draw in a face on the mini figure that came with the Marvel Universe Wasp and color the eyes black on the McFarlane Michael Myers figure that came out in the 90s.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

If anyone is looking for Black Widow/Hydra/AIM dudes, they're back in stock on Toys R Us' website.

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=marvel%20legends&keywords=marvel%20legends&origkw=marvel+legends&sr=1

EDIT: And a bunch of the Spider-Man swaps like Carnage.

Beanpants fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 30, 2014

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

I want to get into collecting cool stuff like you guys. Where do I start? Where are the best places to buy online? Do you goons have any group to buy/sell figures?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Lencho posted:

I want to get into collecting cool stuff like you guys. Where do I start? Where are the best places to buy online? Do you goons have any group to buy/sell figures?

Start with one thing, one series, and only buy what you really like.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

only buy what you really like.

This.

I just found a re-release Foot Soldier at TRU the other day, and that made my year.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lencho posted:

Let us know what you're into (characters, movies, books, games, etc) and you'll be showered with info.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Let us know what you're into (characters, movies, books, games, etc) and you'll be showered with info.

Right now I'm into movie stuff (Predator/Alien/Robocop), Batman, Superman and some videogame stuff like Metal Gear and Metroid.

edit: Also Street Fighter. The thing that got me interested in this were a trio of kidrobot blindboxes that I bought on impulse.

Lencho fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 1, 2014

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lencho posted:

Right now I'm into movie stuff (Predator/Alien/Robocop), Batman, Superman and some videogame stuff like Metal Gear and Metroid.

edit: Also Street Fighter. The thing that got me interested in this were a trio of kidrobot blindboxes that I bought on impulse.

NECA is your go-to brand for affordable but good Predator/Alien/Robocop stuff. Brick'n'mortar-wise, they are primarily found at TRUs, but are more widely available online. My exposure to DC stuff is mostly through Mattel, and it's not bad. There's such a wide variety of styles that Batman and Superman have been rendered in that you might want to narrow it down.

In general, I like buying online from BBTS, because they've always taken excellent care of me. And the whole "preorders are free until it ships" thing.

I'll let more knowledgeable people talk about your other interests, but I will say that I await the day that a good 6-8" scale Blanka and Dhalsim are produced.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

By a 300 dollar Hot Toys figure. And then you'll be hooked forever. :unsmigghh:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lencho: http://www.amazon.com/Good-Smile-Metroid-Action-Figure/dp/B00712Y28Q

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Your first toys should be SH Figuarts and Figmas so you're instantly spoiled and can never handle anything of a lesser quality again. This will also help your wallet because you won't be wasting money on bad things.

Also avoid NECA unless you like brittle plastics and paint clogging up every joint.

Nendoroids are the best Metal Gear toys btw.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only NECA figures that break for me are the Aliens. Everything else has been fine. Just have to be careful. If a joint isn't moving, don't push it. Fix it carefully.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Thanks a lot for the tips guys! That BBTS site has everything I could possibly want. I'm located in north Mexico, so brick'n'mortar it's not an option. Its Revoltech a good brand? The Sci-Fi series Alien Xenomorph and MGS Revengeance Raiden look pretty great. The prices look reasonable, it seems that my first order is not gonna be too hard on my wa-

quote:

By a 300 dollar Hot Toys figure. And then you'll be hooked forever.

Dear god :stare:

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Revoltech is a love/hate toyline. I'd recommend getting just one to try out and make sure its a new one; their really early figures haven't aged very well. btw I do have the Big Chap and I think he's a solid toy, in fact he's the only revoltech I like.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

vkeios posted:

Your first toys should be SH Figuarts and Figmas so you're instantly spoiled and can never handle anything of a lesser quality again. This will also help your wallet because you won't be wasting money on bad things.

Of course if you buy figma and Figuarts you sort of limit yourself to mostly Anime and Japanese game licenses outside of the rare released based off a western property like Spider-Man or Indiana Jones.

They certainly are great though, I've got a whole bunch and they're for the most part all made really well.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Lencho posted:

sixth scale is for poor people. Real collectors only get full scale.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-boba-fett-sideshow-collectibles-400111/

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bushifox posted:

sixth scale is for poor people. Real collectors only get full scale.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-boba-fett-sideshow-collectibles-400111/

$7500 and no articulation? I think I'll stick with Hasbro bro. :smuggo:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Damnation. Batman got released and I'm broke till maybe Halloween.

On the other hand, HEAVY ARMORED SPECIAL COP should be out soon, so that's awesome.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lencho posted:

Trust me in that they are the best things ever. Once you have a figure from Hot Toys in your hands and out the box your life is forever changed. In that you will now be spending $300 or so every few months with whatever figures they have out. Check my previous posts for stuff from them as I mainly collect their stuff with characters I love.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Damnation. Batman got released and I'm broke till maybe Halloween.

On the other hand, HEAVY ARMORED SPECIAL COP should be out soon, so that's awesome.

Yes! I emailed the guy at Monkey Depot and he said they are arriving soon. Cannot wait to see what was actually put out!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lencho posted:

Thanks a lot for the tips guys! That BBTS site has everything I could possibly want. I'm located in north Mexico, so brick'n'mortar it's not an option.

Set up a price watching account at http://lightningdrops.com/ to get stuff on Amazon at good prices.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Red posted:

Set up a price watching account at http://lightningdrops.com/ to get stuff on Amazon at good prices.

This is a great site!

Amazon has a ton of good deals on figures - I got most of my SH MonsterArts Godzilla figures from them as they had the best pricing.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh. I just saw those shameful McDonalds quality ReAction toys billed as "fully articulate" fuuuuuuuck you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

SymfonyMan posted:

$7500 and no articulation? I think I'll stick with Hasbro bro. :smuggo:

Yeah, when I was looking at it, I think you could just put together a costume, buy a cheap store mannequin, and put together your own full size figure for way way cheaper. With articulation!