Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I think the show does get better re-watching it, because a surprising amount of stuff either comes back, or is set up to come back in the future. You can see where the little bits of stuff Ward feeds to Garrett comes from. It actually ties in together a lot more than it appeared to on the first run.

And yes, you can see Skye progressing as an agent, starting out pretty incompetent, but driven to get better, which she does slowly over the course of the season. Her being able to climb a rope and shoot two guys with an icer does not mean she's now an super-agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

hangedman1984 posted:

It IS a Joss Whedon show. Honestly I have been waiting with trepidation since pretty much day 1 for something really bad to happen to Fitz or Simmons.

At the same time, Marvel/Disney's got their hand in things and they seem to prefer more clearcut heroes and villains.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think the show does get better re-watching it, because a surprising amount of stuff either comes back, or is set up to come back in the future. You can see where the little bits of stuff Ward feeds to Garrett comes from. It actually ties in together a lot more than it appeared to on the first run.

And yes, you can see Skye progressing as an agent, starting out pretty incompetent, but driven to get better, which she does slowly over the course of the season. Her being able to climb a rope and shoot two guys with an icer does not mean she's now an super-agent.

I hadn't considered until that episode that those Icers are actually really worthwhile and not just a "we don't want out main characters to kill a ton of people" plot device. I mean, the ability to completely incapacitate any enemy combatant with a single hit to any part of their body is a pretty great upgrade, especially for a character who might not be a perfect shot, like Skye.

(and of course there's the fact that they're more effective on various metahumans too, but besides that the "hit anywhere = out cold" is a great effect)

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
anyone see the tahiti tree on the hydra box at the begining of the show?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

stgdz posted:

anyone see the tahiti tree on the hydra box at the begining of the show?

I'm pretty sure that was just the Afrika Korps logo

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

e X posted:

Background noise.

Do people really engage in online discussions on a subject based purely on their use of it as background noise?

Edit for actual content because this conversation sucks anyway: I am not familiar with Mockingbird from the comic, but from what I see she is a pretty adept kicker of rear end. In the shows universe, would she be a 'May' level of badass? I saw the Koenig video from comic con and they seem to hype her up a bit.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 29, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Do people really engage in online discussions on a subject based purely on their use of it as background noise?

Edit for actual content because this conversation sucks anyway: I am not familiar with Mockingbird from the comic, but from what I see she is a pretty adept kicker of rear end. In the shows universe, would she be a 'May' level of badass? I saw the Koenig video from comic con and they seem to hype her up a bit.

She's a trained SHIELD agent and an Avenger, so she is definitely a good fighter (especially with escrima sticks), but she's also well-versed at spycraft. In the comics, she is Hawkeye's ex-wife.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Where's Quartermain, that's what I wanna know!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Irish Joe posted:

You're vastly underestimating how bad this show was, and is. I mean, how do you watch the Skye/Ward interrogation scene and not groan constantly at the stupid posturing? How do you not roll your eyes every time Coulsen makes some heroic declarative statement that falls flat on its face? How do you not scoff every time the show teases a 'mystery' in the most clumsy, hamfisted way possible?

Because all of those things were entertaining??

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DarklyDreaming posted:

I'm pretty sure that was just the Afrika Korps logo

^100% confirmed DAK seal

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Ok so I've been watching the show since the start (gonna skip the whole good/bad reasoning for watching a notverygoodfromtheoutset show with the whole 'it ties into marvel movies well enough' argument) - the opening episode of the season was awesome... but, I happen to be watching The Avengers as I type this - why is Fitz trying to deconstruct the stealth tech?

Shouldn't SHIELD have that tech down by now? Either through them originally being SHIELD (and also HYDRA) which means it got released and should be EVERYWHERE by now (or sold to bidders who could deconstruct it better and then sell how to make it/make it for people?)

I'm basing this off the end result of Cap 2 where all of SHIELD's files got released totally.

Why's Fitz trying to recreate the stealth tech if that's happened?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Having the information isn't very useful without the ability to understand the information. If the SHIELD stealth tech is as complex as it seems, then it was most likely fabricated in multiple steps, each of which themselves had to be built in multiple steps. And in all likelihood a different contractor would have been responsible for each step.

No single person (that team Coulson can call on, anyway) is likely to have fully understood every step of producing the technology, and every step of producing the means to produce the technology. Fitz is trying to do so now, and he probably would have been able to somewhat easily too with all the information already available, except he's no longer in his right mind.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 29, 2014

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Fury forgot to download all the work instructions onto the cube.

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.

Sir Spaniard posted:

Maybe he has the schematics and blueprints, but not the manufacturing capacity? If I got schematics for an iPhone, I still couldn't make one.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I was thinking they gave Fitz the cloaking assignment because it couldn't be solved easily (in his condition). So the busywork keeps him occupied and Fitz gets to say "hey I'm useful" (though it doesn't seem to be working out right now).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Fitz was not trying to deconstruct it. He's trying to fix it. It got damaged on the Bus and that's why they stole the Quinjet, to get a vehicle with working Stealth.

Vendetta
Jun 30, 2002

I'm in pieces.
I doubt they'll go into this level of detail (if they do, I'll be pleasantly surprised), but I imagine a Quinjet would take a lot less fuel to keep flying, too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Vendetta posted:

I doubt they'll go into this level of detail (if they do, I'll be pleasantly surprised), but I imagine a Quinjet would take a lot less fuel to keep flying, too.

Considering Fury's new Heli-carriers had switched to Repulsor engines, probably true.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
gently caress it, I want them to have a helicarrier by next season.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Circutron posted:

Unfortunately, another show beat them to it.

Never good to retread old ground.

They blue their load, if you will, on a dry run.

The Sharmat posted:

So am I the only one that liked this show from the start and just assumed all this stuff was going somewhere?

You're not a proper Goon, please surrender your security badge. You have 10 minutes to clear your desk.

Goons aren't allowed to give things time.

Dan Didio posted:

S.H.I.E.L.D. is gone.

We know, dude, we KNOW.

JESUS.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Kept putting off watching the opening because I was so worried it would all turn right back to poo poo. So happy I was wrong :dance:

Also, the costume designers should get props (:haw:) for making a man wearing WWII body armour and bowler hat look not only believable, but actually good.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Kept putting off watching the opening because I was so worried it would all turn right back to poo poo. So happy I was wrong :dance:

Also, the costume designers should get props (:haw:) for making a man wearing WWII body armour and bowler hat look not only believable, but actually good.

Well I imagine the costume designers from Captain America: The First Avenger had a pretty good budget, so yeah.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

I really, really hope Neal McDonough is in Agent Carter, even just in a guest role. (Is that his real moustache, or is it make-up?)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 30, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ToastyPotato posted:

Well I imagine the costume designers from Captain America: The First Avenger had a pretty good budget, so yeah.

Forgot that's where he debuted :doh:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Sir Spaniard posted:

Sometimes people don't actually like to put all the information necessary to produce a piece of technology even in the official documentation. My dad habitually left out crucial information in his patents in his electrical engineering days. You can do that and get away with it because some problems aren't obviously problems and don't come up until you actually try to build the thing. Helps prevent intellectual property theft.

SHIELD is almost pathologically secretive, so...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dominic Cooper confirmed to reprise role as Howard Stark for Agent Carter.

http://screenrant.com/marvel-agent-carter-dominic-cooper-howard-stark/

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ToastyPotato posted:

Dominic Cooper confirmed to reprise role as Howard Stark for Agent Carter.

http://screenrant.com/marvel-agent-carter-dominic-cooper-howard-stark/

That's awesome.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm gonna be completely honest that I'm not sure why people care so much about Howard Stark. I mean, it's nice that he'll appear, but even back when Agent Carter was first announced, a huge part of the response was people going "OOOH MAYBE NOW WE'LL GET TO SEE MORE HOWARD!!" and I'm like :raise:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

I'm gonna be completely honest that I'm not sure why people care so much about Howard Stark. I mean, it's nice that he'll appear, but even back when Agent Carter was first announced, a huge part of the response was people going "OOOH MAYBE NOW WE'LL GET TO SEE MORE HOWARD!!" and I'm like :raise:

I think solely because it's Dominic Cooper. People seem to like him.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Is he utterly spectacular in some parts of the world or something? I think the only other thing I've seen him in is Mamma Mia.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Well, Howard is an established character from the comic books. So it makes it a little neater for those of us who are ginormous nerds.

Plus, he has that horrible mustache that RDJ refuses to wear in lieu of a bitchin' goatee, and I guess that some people like horrible mustaches?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Howard Stark is pretty cool in the SHIELD comic that Marvel had out.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
For me, he's just an excuse to explore zany gadgets. Bring it!

vvv I'm pretty sure that's going to be a given.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

As long as they spare us from an Agent Carter-Howard Stark love triangle I will be happy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Xtanstic posted:

As long as they spare us from an Agent Carter-Howard Stark love triangle I will be happy.

Peggy said she married someone that Cap rescued, so you're safe there.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

Peggy said she married someone that Cap rescued, so you're safe there.

She didn't get married as soon as Cap hit the water. There is plenty of time for the show to bore us with her love life.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ToastyPotato posted:

She didn't get married as soon as Cap hit the water. There is plenty of time for the show to bore us with her love life.

It's that peaked hat she wears. That's the love of her life.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Love it if it was Trip's grandpa, just to tie it into the show. Or if they were really brave and didn't waste screen time on the mandatory romance.

It'll probably be Dum Dum, though.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

BrianWilly posted:

Is he utterly spectacular in some parts of the world or something? I think the only other thing I've seen him in is Mamma Mia.

I liked him in that movie where he plays both Saddam Hussein's son and his doppelganger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

a huge part of the response was people going "OOOH MAYBE NOW WE'LL GET TO SEE MORE HOWARD!!" and I'm like :raise:

Well to be fair, Guardians of the Galaxy actually did make me want to see more Howard... a different Howard.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That's the hardest thing because I'd like to tell people "skip all but the last 6 of season 1 and you'll be be good" but yeah, all the lame "plot of the week" stuff actually ends up becoming super important, and it really does reward you for sticking with all of it. A few episodes take on an ENTIRELY different angle once you realize what's up with Ward, too, like the Staff episode or the Loreli episode. It even makes Ward getting possessed kind of logical in retrospect; dude wanted to rope in an all powerful ally and really DID give zero shits about the team.

I still remember people groaning and eye rolling when it turns out Ward was into Skye. Holy poo poo did that get turned on it's head.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 1, 2014

• Locked thread