Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I wonder if when Photos for Mac comes out iPhoto will import photos from my iPhone 6. Because right now it refuses offer to import (or even recognize) anything other than video that I've taken since I switched phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Martytoof posted:

Our attack vector is mercifully small, but I don't really think that this is outside of the realm of reason for a typical Mac user in the creative field, to be honest.

I dunno, all the agencies I've ever been to had pretty much hosted off site with CentOS or whatever linux distros are popular for web hosting.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Is there any way I can make a double tap of the space bar insert a full stop and space in the same way iOS does? I tried changing the settings for the keyboard, but it won't allow anything with spaces.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've got a new Magic Mouse, and on my old machine I could two-finger swipe to move between spaces. I can't find the option to do that anymore - is that a Mac option, or was that Magic Prefs or some other program I'd installed?

Ninja Rope posted:

I've had 15" rmbp's since the first one was released and I never noticed UI lag or crappy looking websites. Firefox itself looked terrible but I don't recall websites looking bad.

Bob Morales posted:

...he's talking about how the upscaled non-Retina images on websites look blurry.
I'm on my second day using a retina MBP, and yeah, this is weird. I appreciate the super-crisp text, but as a web designer I'm gonna have to stay conscious of the fact that things don't look like what I'm seeing for the majority of users. Text looks better than it should, images look worse.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jackpot posted:

I'm on my second day using a retina MBP, and yeah, this is weird. I appreciate the super-crisp text, but as a web designer I'm gonna have to stay conscious of the fact that things don't look like what I'm seeing for the majority of users. Text looks better than it should, images look worse.

I would buy a quality IPS external monitor to use with your Retina to 'check' graphics and such on.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

jackpot posted:

I've got a new Magic Mouse, and on my old machine I could two-finger swipe to move between spaces. I can't find the option to do that anymore - is that a Mac option, or was that Magic Prefs or some other program I'd installed?

This is in the mouse settings in System Prefs. Swipe between full screen apps.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is there an application out there that allows you to independently choose the direction of swipe scrolling and swipe app/desktop switching?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yosemite GM Seed is up for devs.

edit: Looks like it's only available as a software update rather than a standalone installer on the App Store so far.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 30, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So this is weird: the developer GM seed is build 14A379a, and there's a new public beta 4 with build 14A379b. I'm guessing we'll see one more build as the final GM a few days before release like what happened with Mavericks.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
When redeemed in the app store it shows up as 'OS X 10.10 Developer Preview 7'.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man. So it should just be a few weeks tops till official release right? Is SMS handoff working?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I haven't updated yet (looks like the Public Beta updates hit the store a min ago) but I'd guess not since iOS 8 does not have the option to enable SMS relaying at the moment. It could possibly be in iOS 8.1 beta that went up yesterday but it doesn't look like it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm pretty much only looking forward to Yosemite for the SMS ability instead of just iMessage on my Macbook. Once i can text everyone from my computer, I'll be complete.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The missus is selling her 2009 MacBook Pro and since we're both new to this kind of endeavor I was hoping I could ask you: Is this all we need to remember?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201065?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Do we have to do anything special to transfer stuff via Time Machine to the new machine, or do we simply plug and play?

Also, I think I read here some time ago that you could choose how many times the disk would get written over, and thus "safely" delete everything - but I can't find anything of the sort on the page mentioned above. Is it necessary, and if so, how do we do it?

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Xabi posted:

Do we have to do anything special to transfer stuff via Time Machine to the new machine, or do we simply plug and play?

When you set up your new Mac, you'll be asked whether you want to transfer information from a Time Machine backup. The process should guide you and mostly take care of itself.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xabi posted:

Also, I think I read here some time ago that you could choose how many times the disk would get written over, and thus "safely" delete everything - but I can't find anything of the sort on the page mentioned above. Is it necessary, and if so, how do we do it?

Is that an option in Disk Utility? If it is, really one pass is all that's necessary. While DoD specs specify 7 passes, it's been found one pass of all zeros renders data recovery highly improbable for all but the most expensive methods, and even then it's a crap shoot what's able to be recovered.

For the selling of the consumer device, one pass should be fine.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Is there a good free password utility similar to 1Password? I have a distrust of online services and I'm sure friends and family won't be willing to pay for 1Password.

Edit: The fact that KeePass is a port done by Some Guy seems off-putting too.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 1, 2014

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Ninja Rope posted:

Is there a good free password utility similar to 1Password? I have a distrust of online services and I'm sure friends and family won't be willing to pay for 1Password.

Edit: The fact that KeePass is a port done by Some Guy seems off-putting too.

LastPass is free if you don't need mobile.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So now that GM is upon us, I guess my big question is when they plan on turning SMS continuity back on.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Martytoof posted:

So now that GM is upon us, I guess my big question is when they plan on turning SMS continuity back on.
It was always on in Yos wasn't it? They took it out of iOS for the time being.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

You need the 8.1 beta.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is this the place to ask Safari questions? Do any of you use the Dolphin Connect extension for Safari? Does it work with Safari 8?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I recently upgraded to an SSD/Mavericks, and now my scanner is hosed.

I get an "Unable to create a work folder on the current disk, therefore the work folder will be returned to the default location" when I try to use Epson Scan (have downloaded the latest, Mavericks approved version from Epson), program won't start. Tried repairing disk permissions in Disk Utility, first time it caught a bunch, now there's nothing and it still gives me the same error message. Did "get info" and made sure it had full read/write permissions, still not working. Anyone have any ideas?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I'm hoping they turn handoff back on soon too. It would be really nice to have.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm hoping they turn handoff back on soon too. It would be really nice to have.
Handoff works just fine for me with my Yosemite GM seed rMBP and iOS 8 iPhone 6. If I open up Safari, Mail, Messages, etc. on my iPhone I get an icon in the Dock for Handoff to take over. That's without the devices even being on the same network.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The option to turn handoff on is missing from my PB4. It shows if I spotlight search for it, but the place where it should be is empty.

They also turned down some of the transparency effects, like I can't see through to the desktop in a lot of apps any more. mid 2011 MBA for reference.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

mid 2011 MBA for reference.
You're not alone. Despite having BT 4.0, the mid-2011 doesn't currently support Handoff. Maybe it's a different BT module that Apple still needs to work on support for, or maybe it's a legitimate mistake. People like to joke about Apple obsoleting their old devices arbitrarily, but that usually has to do with hardware not supporting some new features. In this case, it seems like the mid-2011 MBA should support Handoff so I can only imagine why it's not working on that model. I guess we'll have to see what happens.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Hmm airdrop doesn't work either. Thanks for the heads up.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Handoff works just fine for me with my Yosemite GM seed rMBP and iOS 8 iPhone 6. If I open up Safari, Mail, Messages, etc. on my iPhone I get an icon in the Dock for Handoff to take over. That's without the devices even being on the same network.

I'm getting patchy results using 8.1 beta and the Yosemite GM. Apparently you also have to turn on blue-tooth. I have a late 2012 iMac, so I'm assuming I should be fine. I guess we just wait for the release builds and see what happens.

Edit: Airdrop is great. :)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You're not alone. Despite having BT 4.0, the mid-2011 doesn't currently support Handoff. Maybe it's a different BT module that Apple still needs to work on support for, or maybe it's a legitimate mistake. People like to joke about Apple obsoleting their old devices arbitrarily, but that usually has to do with hardware not supporting some new features. In this case, it seems like the mid-2011 MBA should support Handoff so I can only imagine why it's not working on that model. I guess we'll have to see what happens.
Wild guess but does that one happen to lack wifi direct capable hardware?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Thank you, good sirs! Sounds like we should be able to do this. If not, I'll probably come running back here.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Ninja Rope posted:

Chipping in for LastPass as well. Using the free version hardly reduces the functionality at all.

A slightly exotic question: I wanted an off-site backup for my work Mac and - since we 're using AWS for everything else - backing up to Glacier seemed the way to go. So I used Arq. Works fine, all looks good, it shows the backed up files over the last two weeks - except there's nothing stored in the Glacier section of our AWS account. I re-checked Arq to see I'd set it up right and it wasn't backing up somewhere else. It's says Glacier.

Any experience with Arq? They shut down their user forums a year ago, so there's no real venue for quizzing other users.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How is OS X server? If I just want to use a couple of features for the household (Time Machine and update caching), does it otherwise work the same as normal OS X?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Yes, OS X server is just an app that enables those things on that machine.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

syndex posted:

Yes, OS X server is just an app that enables those things on that machine.

Cool. I almost bought it yesterday but it looks like the Mavericks update was paid last year, so I don't want to buy it now and then pay again in a few weeks for Yosemite.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

outlier posted:

Chipping in for LastPass as well. Using the free version hardly reduces the functionality at all.

A slightly exotic question: I wanted an off-site backup for my work Mac and - since we 're using AWS for everything else - backing up to Glacier seemed the way to go. So I used Arq. Works fine, all looks good, it shows the backed up files over the last two weeks - except there's nothing stored in the Glacier section of our AWS account. I re-checked Arq to see I'd set it up right and it wasn't backing up somewhere else. It's says Glacier.

Any experience with Arq? They shut down their user forums a year ago, so there's no real venue for quizzing other users.

Another vote in favor of LastPass, and while you don't need premium to use it from your phone (you can just log into the lastpass.com site and copy paste your password out) it's worth it.

Now that they've got TouchID support in the mobile app it's entirely worth spending $12 a year for the extra features.

Also there are various specials every once in a while that allow you to get it for even cheaper, the only permanent one that I can think of is the Student discount (6 months free premium).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I recently upgraded to an SSD/Mavericks, and now my scanner is hosed.

I get an "Unable to create a work folder on the current disk, therefore the work folder will be returned to the default location" when I try to use Epson Scan (have downloaded the latest, Mavericks approved version from Epson), program won't start. Tried repairing disk permissions in Disk Utility, first time it caught a bunch, now there's nothing and it still gives me the same error message. Did "get info" and made sure it had full read/write permissions, still not working. Anyone have any ideas?

VueScan is your friend. It works with a *ton* of scanners and the author is constantly updating it with new scanners.

They have a support model typically found in the Enterpise $30 for free upgrades for a year (usually means around 3 updates) or $79 for lifetime updates. Personally, I have the lifetime update. I like the piece of mind that I can buy whatever scanner I want and knowing it will just loving work.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Is there any way to manipulate files in iCloud drive through the terminal?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tinaun posted:

Is there any way to manipulate files in iCloud drive through the terminal?

If it's mounted as a volume in OS X, then you should be able to get to it under /Volumes I would think. Unless the mount point has changed. Or Apple in their infinite wisdom hid the mount from us plebes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

flosofl posted:

VueScan is your friend. It works with a *ton* of scanners and the author is constantly updating it with new scanners.

They have a support model typically found in the Enterpise $30 for free upgrades for a year (usually means around 3 updates) or $79 for lifetime updates. Personally, I have the lifetime update. I like the piece of mind that I can buy whatever scanner I want and knowing it will just loving work.

Very powerful but boy that UI is terrible. It's just a big stack of dropdowns.