Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Really Pants posted:

It's totally intentional that they look just like that video clip, right?

I'm sure Ces referenced it on purpose. I just think it was weirdly done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Scott Roberts posted this comic on Facebook. It's really, really spot on:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Classic Funky

Remember, this guy becomes a writer.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Why? Saying you have amnesia is just going to make everyone try to figure out what happened. Just say it was a nice night and you went for a walk!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones

The Lighter Side of Summer Evenings (MAD #98, October 1965)

Don Martin Dept. (MAD #159, June 1973)

This comic will probably never be published today, I don't think.

Spy vs. Spy (MAD #211, December 1979)

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 1, 2014

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
The current team on Dick Tracy talk about rescuing Little Orphan Annie, crossovers and clones/copycats.

One of those crossovers? Funky Winkerbean in February 2015.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Poor Dick will get alzheimer's :smith:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

TofuDiva posted:

Classic Funky

Remember, this guy becomes a writer.

Is he supposed to be a good or successful writer, though?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mike du Jour[/b]

Yes, that's what reincarnation is. Joan Rivers coming back as that pigeon.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Never gets old.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (October 2, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (June 25-27, 1951)

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

It puts together a more coherent narrative than Brooke ever has.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

better than guy gilchrist

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Is he supposed to be a good or successful writer, though?

Well, he DID almost get his book adapted into a made-for-cable movie.

You know what I'd like? A Dick Tracy / Rip Haywire crossover.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Selachian posted:

You know what I'd like? A Dick Tracy / Rip Haywire crossover.

I would pay money for that.

...not a whole LOT of money, mind. $20? For the whole thing? I can part with $20.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

I know that this is a golf joke and also just kind of a cheap joke in general, but goddamn it I can't stop laughing at it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's All Right Chief Dharma

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

DoubleDonut posted:

I know that this is a golf joke and also just kind of a cheap joke in general, but goddamn it I can't stop laughing at it.

POT

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Why are these people saying these things?

Rex Morgan MD

Of course Sara thinks that's just normal.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well guess that answers what a penman does.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

I hope I'm misinterpreting that the grandma is being presented as the person in the wrong here, because if that's really what they're going for, it's pretty drat depressing.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Humanoid Female posted:

I hope I'm misinterpreting that the grandma is being presented as the person in the wrong here, because if that's really what they're going for, it's pretty drat depressing.

It's a big thing with the elderly. Back when I used to read Ann Landers every day the "my kids think I'm a free babysitter and they don't even call first" letters were only behind the "I'm a woman and I don't like sex" letters in frequency. Of course, just as each sex letter would predictably be followed with a flood of me toos and "your partner's just not doing it right" letters, you could always expect the babysitting letters to be followed a week or two later by a bunch of "Yeah! I also have an inconsiderate daughter!" and "You don't love your grandkids!" and "I spend every Christmas alone crying that my kids never call and I hate you now" letters.

The old lady not wanting to sit the kids is the most realistic part of this storyline so far, is what I'm saying. I bet she also doesn't like sex.

Also, Ann Landers would have advised this lady to set some firm boundaries with her daughter and stick to them, and also get an eye exam.

Fake edit: I just typed all that and now that I reread what you wrote it turns out you're probably saying the opposite of what I originally thought you said. :doh: It really does look like the comic might be suggesting that Grandma is being a stubborn old biddy for not wanting to move in with her demanding daughter (after all, that was Mary Worth's suggestion and Mary always knows what's best). Ann Landers wouldn't have done that to poor Grandma Dingdon. :(

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Bleeker: how do you point with a paw?

Pickles: Nelson's just here, that's all.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD
I really hope she buys her a car. :allears:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Mandrake what kind of face are you making?

What emotion is being conveyed here?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Looks like a combo of lust & posession

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This gets a thumbs up. I like it.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Hot drat! An Ann Landers, or Dear Abby/Mary Worth crossover would be Nirvana!

I think Ms. Dingdong just doesn't like the fact that her daughter automatically assumes that she can take care of the grandkid, for extended periods of time, with little or no notice. I have a couple of nieces and nephews (waifu's side) that do this exact thing with their kids, and my mother-in-law.

Anyway, let's check in on the traveling cross-dressers in Jane's World

Only when you travel?

Non Sequitur

I read that as "re-loving-port". That's pretty cool, Wiley, I think.

Heavenly Nostrils

Kliban

Look at them. They are so incredibly content, it's eerie.

9 Chickweed Lane 10/1/2003

And, Brooke starts off the month with stupid.

Zits

old_joke.jpg

Kevin & Kell

It is a barn joke you see, because all herbivores in this universe are somehow domestica.... wait, this just isn't going to get any better, is it. :ughh:

:v:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Julet Esqu posted:

It's a big thing with the elderly. Back when I used to read Ann Landers every day the "my kids think I'm a free babysitter and they don't even call first" letters were only behind the "I'm a woman and I don't like sex" letters in frequency. Of course, just as each sex letter would predictably be followed with a flood of me toos and "your partner's just not doing it right" letters, you could always expect the babysitting letters to be followed a week or two later by a bunch of "Yeah! I also have an inconsiderate daughter!" and "You don't love your grandkids!" and "I spend every Christmas alone crying that my kids never call and I hate you now" letters.

The old lady not wanting to sit the kids is the most realistic part of this storyline so far, is what I'm saying. I bet she also doesn't like sex.

Also, Ann Landers would have advised this lady to set some firm boundaries with her daughter and stick to them, and also get an eye exam.

Fake edit: I just typed all that and now that I reread what you wrote it turns out you're probably saying the opposite of what I originally thought you said. :doh: It really does look like the comic might be suggesting that Grandma is being a stubborn old biddy for not wanting to move in with her demanding daughter (after all, that was Mary Worth's suggestion and Mary always knows what's best). Ann Landers wouldn't have done that to poor Grandma Dingdon. :(

Maybe I'm reading too much into the drawings, but the expressions on the daughter's and grandson's faces lead me to guess that domestic abuse is going to be part of the this story. They look like they're supposed to be absolutely terrified.

Of course, that could just be bad art.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

The Creeps

Poptropica

Heathcliff

I wish I was musically inclined, so I could read that music and hear what it would sound like.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Heathcliff

I wish I was musically inclined, so I could read that music and hear what it would sound like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9nGyPz9uT0

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is fat creep's tumor getting bigger?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears prepares to party hard.

The Dinette Set knows not to read and drive.

(What's wrong with audiobooks? I listen to them all the time.)

Working Daze is crossing over with Holbrook/is back in fetish territory.

What does that have to do with mental stroh who loving cares.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (July 13, 1927)

Peanuts (October 4, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

"I remember it like it was a decade in my life that was glossed over by a cartoonist who was impatient to just get on with it..."

How many of those background smuggos have placed a wager on what shade of purple Funky turns this year?

Popeye, in which Viper Velma loses a fan.

Rip Haywire

Is there a place for the hopeless sinner who has hurt mankind just to save his reggae references?

Out Our Way (October 12-13, 1925)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Hot drat! An Ann Landers, or Dear Abby/Mary Worth crossover would be Nirvana!

I think Ms. Dingdong just doesn't like the fact that her daughter automatically assumes that she can take care of the grandkid, for extended periods of time, with little or no notice. I have a couple of nieces and nephews (waifu's side) that do this exact thing with their kids, and my mother-in-law.

"Hey, it's not like she has anything else she'd rather do;she's super old!"

• Locked thread