Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

keevo posted:

Why is Elizabeth blinking so much?

Probably thinking up new personalities for numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Didn't know a drat thing about Godspell, no chance on today's Final.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

zakharov posted:

Didn't know a drat thing about Godspell, no chance on today's Final.

It was sort of guessable from Bible knowledge (how I got it), but that part where there were two acceptable answers based on external interviews by the author was super-weird.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You don't need external interviews to know that; it's super obvious in the show, it's kind of the huge thing about Godspell. If you don't know the show at all, then you'd have to get there from Biblical knowledge, true. But the two-names thing isn't weird and you definitely get that from the show itself.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Never seen Godspell, but if you've read the gospels this was gettable. All I can say is, I would've absolutely cleaned house on these first three games of the season and I'm sitting here like a chump while the time runs out on my eligibility.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Friggin' Randy Newman - I was so sure about him too :(

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Hey, I thought it was Kenny Loggins, so you're still a better person than me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I thought Danny Elfman.

I guess we all needed to go back further in time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zakharov posted:

Friggin' Randy Newman - I was so sure about him too :(

I also went with him :saddowns:

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Last night I told my boyfriend, "I'll only know this if it's related to Henry VIII." And it was and I did. Thanks, Philippa Gregory!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

First episode of Sports Jeopardy is up!

http://www.crackle.com/c/sports-jeopardy

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

zakharov posted:

That was... less than impressive unfortunately. The interview segment is for some reason even longer, and if that wasn't enough there's a post-show interview segment as well. I don't need to know what these guys 'proudest' moments were while competing on Sports Jeopardy.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

zakharov posted:

I really want to like it, but man that was rough. Dan Patrick is really grating as a host. I really didn't like the "continue" after nearly every clue and the "anybody?" after a player answers wrong or nobody rings in. Not to mention the dumb chauvinistic jokes/comments about that UFC lady. The boxing bell after each round is really hokey. Also not a fan of all the in-show advertising. I get it's a sports trivia show but that doesn't mean we should bring in all of the worst aspects of watching sports.

Cory Snyder
Jan 27, 2004

People have compared me to Cal Ripken...
The big logo of Buffalo Wild Wings being shown while a clue that was basically what are wild wings was really bad.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Cory Snyder posted:

The big logo of Buffalo Wild Wings being shown while a clue that was basically what are wild wings was really bad.

There's lots of sponsored stuff in regular Jeopardy too. I would bet money that Google paid them for those two categories yesterday. Speaking of which, did ANYONE get "swan song?"

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

zakharov posted:

Speaking of which, did ANYONE get "swan song?"

I had no idea at all.

I did get today's though.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ties own

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I really want to like it, but man that was rough. Dan Patrick is really grating as a host. I really didn't like the "continue" after nearly every clue and the "anybody?" after a player answers wrong or nobody rings in. Not to mention the dumb chauvinistic jokes/comments about that UFC lady. The boxing bell after each round is really hokey. Also not a fan of all the in-show advertising. I get it's a sports trivia show but that doesn't mean we should bring in all of the worst aspects of watching sports.

I just started watching and the look on Dan's face when he makes that dumb comment about not knowing a word the UFC lady said is enough that I'm pretty sure I'm just going to turn this off. If that's how you introduce the show, I can only imagine it gets worse.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Thank you Clarence Darrow for saving me from an 0/5 week on Final.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I like ties as much as the next guy.

But now that I've been a contestant, I know that also means that someone who was originally called up as part of the next pool of contestants to tape will have to wait an extra day to compete in the best case scenario or even longer if this episode was filmed on a Wednesday, depending on how long it takes for them to get another callback. Maybe they'll call one fewer local alternate to make up for losing a prospective contestant spot for the first episode of the next taping?

As for today's Final, I didn't get Darrow, but I might've if I had a little more time to think on it. Was thinking about prominent lawyers of that era, and needed a bit more time to remember Darrow.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I felt good about knowing Clarence Darrow.

Also I don't usually like ties, but I'm glad we got one because I kind of like Catherine. She's just nerdy enough....

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I'm watching Sports Jeopardy now and oh my god this is painfully bad. From the terrible announcing that forced dumb sports phrases into anything and everything to only four clues that renders my Normal Jeopardy calculator useless. Also I think Dan Patrick literally gave the middle dude (I never trust a grown man named Pauly) the points on the Buffalo Wild Wings© question when he only answered with Buffalo. Some clues are really weirdly (re: terribly) written and Patrick's casual sexism is totally awesome (and all his jokes were way bad) and somehow way more direct than Trebek has been, as far as I can remember.

e: wait Ronda Rousey introduced all the UFC clues and was also the answer to the $250 clue? jfc that's atrocious writing oh I think it was a different ufc lady? WHOOPS

e2: lmao these guys aren't terribly smart about seemingly obvious things. like "eccentric outfielders who played next to Johnny Damon." Bernie Williams!!?!??

uublog fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 28, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Aww, she lost.

Probably back for ToC though?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Wow I thought that was a gimme Final, surprised only one got it.

I like the new champ. She was so happy!

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I did it, I finally got a Final Jeopardy! that none of the contestants got (I'm honestly stunned no one got that, it wasn't difficult at all)

Also lmao at a $5 Daily Double

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

Aww, she lost.

Probably back for ToC though?

Did she hit 5 wins? I don't think she did, which is a shame. Felt the Final was pretty cake too, which was a shame she didn't get it. Guess she over-thought it or something?

uublog posted:

I did it, I finally got a Final Jeopardy! that none of the contestants got (I'm honestly stunned no one got that, it wasn't difficult at all)

Yeah, that was a pretty simple one, but also one that again was really easy to overthink. Still, smart betting has the previous champ stay once again, should be interesting to see if she can keep this up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Who Winston Is Churchill

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

uublog posted:

Also lmao at a $5 Daily Double

I was shocked no one knew it. I guess no one in the game knew when Hitler came to power.

The odd thing was I was getting most questions wrong in regular Jeopardy and Final was the easiest one in the game for me.

BTW the What Woman Want category on Monday has gotten complaints of sexism instead of the poor product placement complaints it should be getting.

http://mashable.com/2014/09/30/jeopardy-what-women-want-sexism/%3F

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 1, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I missed Final Jeopardy last night because I misunderstood the clue. I thought they meant whoever it was lost power 19 days (or whatever it was) after FDR -came- to power.

GhostStalker posted:

Did she hit 5 wins? I don't think she did, which is a shame. Felt the Final was pretty cake too, which was a shame she didn't get it. Guess she over-thought it or something?

Is that the rule? That sucks.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
A woman who thinks an underwater tunnel from Alaska to Russia exists won two games of Jeopardy...

and how easy was that FJ?

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

The Piper posted:

A woman who thinks an underwater tunnel from Alaska to Russia exists won two games of Jeopardy...

and how easy was that FJ?

She also thought Harry Truman took power days before and left power days after FDR...

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
It's weird because she had a very solid grasp on the art category where many of the people who came up are often confused for one another. It's interesting how knowledge gaps come about in good trivia/quizbowl/etc players, and how people can be pretty deep in certain topics but oddly bad at others.

vvvvv Oh, if that's the case then those questions would've been nothing.

Punch Card fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 2, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Didn't she say she was an art history major? Maybe she's picked up a lot of world knowledge buying clothes for her dog.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

"His father discovered Uranus."

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Kind of surprised only one person got Don Quixote. Maybe the "title characters" bit threw them off, but it seemed pretty obvious to me.

P. S. Did Jason remind anyone else of Abdullah the Butcher?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
goddamn Abdullah got some nice titties

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Kind of surprised only one person got Don Quixote. Maybe the "title characters" bit threw them off, but it seemed pretty obvious to me.

Me too. He's only the most famous "mad knight" in all of literature.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I didn't get it but that's because I'm uncultured swine.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Well, the stache was fun while it lasted :(

http://jeopardy.tumblr.com/post/99890363327/on-todays-episode-of-jeopardy-alex-trebek-sends

I like how they have transparent lies about how "the people have spoken." These were taped months ago!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Sad I missed this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK__uWra8jw