Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

The Bee posted:

I thought I hopped of the wagon after 13. Don't do this to me 2K.

. . . Officially confirm the PC version and I'm in.
I'd imagine the PC version wouldn't have career mode though cause it's only in the next gen versions, right? 2K's PC releases (at least with NBA) have always been the lesser generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

if a PC version comes out and its the last gen version i'm gonna laugh and also be a little disappointed

also NBA 2k15 on PC this year is going to be in line with the current gen version of the game, i think last year isn't quite enough to say they "always" do it

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Yea this is only the second year for newer gen sports games so there is SOME hope of a proper (complete) PC version.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

You'd have to imagine that last-gen NBA 2k14 pc porting would have to do with them already having the old gen version engine running on PC from previous years and not wanting to remake the whole engine on PC as well as next gen consoles when console sales are way higher priority. With no PC version of a WWE game existing currently, there's really no reason for them to port over the last gen version when porting the net gen version would be mechanically simpler due to architecture, and futureproofing the product for further yearly releases when the last gen games aren't going to get more than maybe 1 more year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Well my first Epic KotR just ended with me missing the bracket (as expected) and paired up the UR AJ I got from a quarterfinal exit in an UR KotR a couple weeks ago.

Don't skip out on KotR, kids, even if you don't think you'll win.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

IcePhoenix posted:

Don't skip out on KotR, kids, even if you don't think you'll win.

Should be the title of the thread at this point.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I've gone 8-0 so far in KOTR by doing that "throw the tag team match" trick, so I guess it works pretty well so far.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I've gone 8-0 so far in KOTR by doing that "throw the tag team match" trick, so I guess it works pretty well so far.

Could you refresh me on that? I barely clawed my way into the quarter-finals of an epic-level KOTR by using all my boosts and I'm pretty sick of this crap.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

It's not so much a trick, as it is that with a strong pair of solos and a diva, you can win matches even without anything worthwhile as a tag team or on the bench, and as KOTR groups are put together on overall deck power, doing this will mean you're paired against people with more balanced teams with cards weaker than your 3 strong ones.
You use poo poo cards for the tag team specifically because you want to use the minimum number of good cards to do this to deflate your ranking.

The downside is you're likely to be in a lower tier KOTR than you could get to using a full team, and you'll need to spend more time with energy refills because you won't have substitutes, but if you want to win it's easily the most reliable way.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 30, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Could you refresh me on that? I barely clawed my way into the quarter-finals of an epic-level KOTR by using all my boosts and I'm pretty sick of this crap.

Well in this case I'm basically punching under my weight class. I could get into an Epic++ KOTR if I stacked my deck, but instead you just put in just enough good cards to get you into the Epic level. Your crappy cards will even out the good ones, but give you enough to win your 2 rounds for sure.

Basically you do two good diva cards and 4 good player cards, leave the rest as crappy. Throw the tag match but stack the other matches.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

e: refresh the page before posting at work, idiot

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

"I know of Rare Pro Natalya, and the elders speak of a non-pro UR Brie....but what is....'good diva'?"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I wonder if this means that the NXT wrestlers are only going to be exclusive to the next gen systems for this mode.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Davros1 posted:

I wonder if this means that the NXT wrestlers are only going to be exclusive to the next gen systems for this mode.

The 360 version has achievements for NXT wrestlers, I believe.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Nice to see Ricochet made it into the game.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I just want to know if you can actually hold on to a hold even if the wrestler gets a ropebreak. I miss that feature and still don't know why they got rid of it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

"I know of Rare Pro Natalya, and the elders speak of a non-pro UR Brie....but what is....'good diva'?"

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

I just want to know if you can actually hold on to a hold even if the wrestler gets a ropebreak. I miss that feature and still don't know why they got rid of it.

I assume that with each new system they added, they broke a dozen more.

I was playing some of the old games and had totally forgotten that the crowd audio was actually... good... back around SvR '10. Random yells, well-timed chants for your wrestler, etc. As opposed to dead silence until finisher hits.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

This game is a lot better than others of its type. It can be played for 30 seconds or 10 hours, the gap between people that pay and people that play for free is minimal, it's juuust complex enough that you can't simply jab at the screen for an entire match, etc. But the "diva gap" is just intensely annoying. You can't even reliably throw money at the problem.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

I had to stack all my best cards into my deck, including the back-ups, just to get into Epic KotR... and I'm actually in third. I've been refilling stamina thrice per day through exhibition, and I should be able to beat #6 and #2 to get double epics.

Kudos to the guy at #1. He doesn't have an unfairly stacked team (2xUR pro tag, epic pro, UR pro, epic diva, and SR supports, which is about what I've got in the front line), but he seems to be refreshing his stamina often - he's 42-1.

This game is a lot better than others of its type. It can be played for 30 seconds or 10 hours, the gap between people that pay and people that play for free is minimal, it's juuust complex enough that you can't simply jab at the screen for an entire match, etc. But the "diva gap" is just intensely annoying. You can't even reliably throw money at the problem.

Agreed. SR Pro Paige is getting annoying. She's a tie at best since everyone has one. My best case scenario is someone beats me by using their support. I was thinking about grinding UR KoTR for a 2xUR diva, but no other URs help me. My plan now that I can run at Epic is either (a) get a 2xEpic Diva from Epic KoTR or (b) get enough 2xEpics to put me up to legendary, then just job until I get an Epic diva as a consolation prize.

Sono fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 30, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

my next KoTR will be epic tier, and I haven't made it past the quarterfinals of a single UR tournament.

So I'm going into epic with three maxed URs, a maxed epic, and the rest all maxed pro SRs. I'm going to get wrecked, but I'll at least pick up some guaranteed UR cards.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Sono posted:

Agreed. SR Pro Paige is getting annoying. She's a tie at best since everyone has one.

I've started using my item either on the diva's match or on the third match (after its become clear that there wont be a divas match). I can't tell you how many ties I've avoided and won by saving my item use for a "second wind" on SR Paige.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jubs posted:

Nice to see Ricochet made it into the game.

Honestly, it probably is a Ricochet CAW they made.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I need to apologize to the game gods. I got my 4th epic out of that "quarter-finals of an epic-level KOTR" I was bitching about, and I got my 2nd epic bray. Leveled and combined that poo poo right up to max pro, which put me into Legendary, which got me a Kane. And I'm a shameless mark for Kane. So yeah, good supercard day.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm about as bullish on these games as anybody but really, if they fudge the match scoring system just a bit or the AI doesn't accommodate it, it will break the career mode severely.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Here's a Gamespot video of a bunch of interviews at the Performance Center, mainly just asking wrestlers about their takes on being in it before talking about career mode. There is a little spoiler about the MyCareer gameplay which hints at the kayfabe status of the narrative (The first match is interrupted by a flash-forward of you getting jumped backstage by your opponent and you get a contract as a result). P good critical take tho

There's also a clarification that your face / heel alignment seems to be affected by your in-ring actions in addition to the social media stuff. DQs and exposed turnbuckles seem pretty classic heel heat builders but I guess it's kind of hard to imagine building face heat beyond like... playing by the rules? Or getting your rear end kicked?

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 1, 2014

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm about as bullish on these games as anybody but really, if they fudge the match scoring system just a bit or the AI doesn't accommodate it, it will break the career mode severely.
In WWE2k14 the Beat The Streak mode scores your matches in a way which is simialr to what this career mode stuff sounds like. You score more points the more near falls there are, finisher reversals, variation of moves, length of the match, etc.

Problem was, the AI for Undertaker at WrestleMania was so purposefully broken that the developers forced the matches to always be no-DQ, as beating him without resorting to spamming weapon attacks was impossible. People thought this would gently caress up the match scoring system... but no, there were no negative points. You can wail on him for half an hour straight with the ring bell and score hundreds of thousand more points than somebody who wrestles a competitive match. It simply counted the number of attacks in a match by either character + time of the match + finishers, with a bonus for reversing the Tombstone. Spamming moves (or weapons) didn't lower your score and the more you just dragged it out wialing on him, the higher the score would multiply because of the time factor. The highest-scoring people are the ones who were happy to just sit for a couple of hours straight doing nothing but whacking 'Takers knees with sledgehammers.

Now, they may have gone for a more refined system, this time. They may have introduced point deductions for a bad match. They may have adjusted the scaling. They may have completely rewritten how it works and the career match ratings might have nothing in common with the match ratings of WWE2k14.
But they have hosed this up before, so~

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I don't see what's to stop people from popping their rating by putting their opponent through an announcer's table every single match.

Though I guess that's probably why so many of the OMG moments (they really need another name for those) are things you have to buy now (?)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Someone should create John Cena in career mode and always win and always use the 5 moves of doom and see if it gets you a mega push.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

This is the phase of the game release cycle where their own narrow view of what they have created is 95% of the conversation. We are at the "every choice the player makes will have major repercussions" stage, not the "there's only two endings lol" stage.

Kaskadan
Mar 28, 2010

I've got some bad NOMS for you
DAMNIT!
Network maintenance just as I got into the final of my KOTR

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Just got to the Universe Drafts in my Six Promotions Universe set up, first draft for Monday Night Raw?

FIGHT STEEN FIGHT!!!

EDIT:
Also you gotta love how the Draft Matches A. use people from all of the shows at the same time and B. the Draft event doesn't use any of the people in the battle royale. Go Jay Lethal! Kick Roman Reigns, Tyler Breeze, and Mike Quackenbush's asses!

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 1, 2014

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

Real developmental experience better include homophobic slurs and having a gun pulled on you.

Better not make a Jewish CAW!

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

From Chicago? :v:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've been wanting match quality over wins for a long time in a wrestling game. Awesome.

Come on, moddable PC version. :ohdear:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

First thing I'm doing. Let's see how realistic this is!

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

First thing I'm doing. Let's see how realistic this is!

Make a trip report and let us know if Virtua Michael Hayes calls you a kike.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Since we're giving updates on our Universe mode games.

This is the universe I want to live in.

MyCareer mode sounds loving awesome. I really have to get a PS4 sooner than I'd planned.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Make a trip report and let us know if Virtua Michael Hayes calls you a kike.

Game isn't even out yet and he did!

Here's a blast from the past question. I remember 2K13 getting special "Attitude Era" cutscenes for universe mode in a DLC. I don't think I've ever seen one. Has anyone? Did these things ever work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiKW0nvD19U

Frankenstein could take DeMott.