Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJIZTL2ZyEw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Guy purposely lets the bolt forward to get m1 thumb while using high speed cameras.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
:magical:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've seen some poo poo from Syria, but that really make me wince.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Psh. I lost part of my pinky to an M60 receiver.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

You old.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I've never seen an M60.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

First machine gun I ever used and I got to shoulder fire it. I will never have an erection that hard again.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

First machine gun I ever used and I got to shoulder fire it. I will never have an erection that hard again.

Did you get your penis trapped in the receiver too?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Did you get your penis trapped in the receiver too?

No, I broke it off in your sister's rear end.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Dusted

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Ouch.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah, I got summoned to Truth and Reconciliation for that one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Guy purposely lets the bolt forward to get m1 thumb while using high speed cameras.

I used to be good at it thanks to practice, but I hardly go shooting anymore so now I'm a huge pussy when I reload mine.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Some folk'll never lose a toe

But then again, some folk'll

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
I think anyone who owns an M1 Garand has had that happen at least once.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
My dad owns one of those old surplus M1's and I would have hated having to use one of those things all the time, never did figure out how to do it without loving your thumb up though I haven't shot it that much

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mustang posted:

My dad owns one of those old surplus M1's and I would have hated having to use one of those things all the time, never did figure out how to do it without loving your thumb up though I haven't shot it that much

Keep the rest of your hand flat down the side, so the op-rod handle will hit your hand and stop instead of sliding home and smashing your thumb.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
We've got two of them and never had an issue with M1 thumb. On the other hand the lovely Greek surplus clips like to eject prematurely and fling unfired M2 ball all over the place, instead of firing till empty and going PING like God and Patton intended.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TonySnow posted:

I think anyone who owns an M1 Garand has had that happen at least once.

loving ROTC

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Color photo taken in the bombardier's station on a B-17 headed towards Germany. No info on it beyond that, but it looks cool as gently caress.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It didn't break, it just gave up.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

LEARN TO FLY AGAIN

LEARN TO LIVE SO FREEEE

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Somewhere, an engineer just shot himself in the head.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I GISed it. Apparently it was caused partially by human error, and grounded the fleet temporarily.

quote:

C-141B Starlifter transports have been cleared to return to service after the left wing on one airplane collapsed during refueling last Dec. 21, 2001 at Memphis (Tenn.) International Airport. The incident sparked the grounding of all 99 C-141Bs in U.S. Air Force inventory, but the limitation was removed Dec. 23 when an initial inspection by an engineering team from Warner Robbins Air Logistics Center in Georgia determined the failure was limited to that specific airplane. According to Col. Russ Cotney, commander of the Memphis-based Air National Guard's 164th Airlift Wing, the incident involved a "human factors error" during the repair of an integral fuel cell at the unit level. The aircraft had accumulated about 39,000 hr. of flying time and had undergone major depot inspection within the past two years. The Air Force has begun a formal investigation into the incident, which led to the spillage of 3,300 gal. of jet fuel and the slight injury of two airmen. The four-engine jet was being fueled for a flight to Ramstein AB, Germany, when the failure occurred. USAF is phasing out Starlifters from active service and replacing them with Boeing C-17s.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

:shrug:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
go home plane, you're drunk

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Plane looks all depressed like it's gf just broke up with it or something.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They were fueling, imagine if that thing got off the ground. Wing just falls off in flight and the crew gets thirty seconds to wonder what the gently caress just happened before augering in.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They were fueling, imagine if that thing got off the ground. Wing just falls off in flight and the crew gets thirty seconds to wonder what the gently caress just happened before augering in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A4QZAxrb28

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You'd be hosed even if there was an ejection seat.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That video makes me cringe, every time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

jfc :stare:

Terrifying

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

How does that even happen? Loaded up too heavily with fire retardant?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

How does that even happen? Loaded up too heavily with fire retardant?

Lots of high stress bombing cycles, lots of buffeting from fire updrafts adding more strain cycles, (I think heat from fire weakening the structure and further accelerating fatigue?), and it was probably a pretty old airframe near the end of its life when the AF got rid of it in the first place

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 2, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's about the worst way to go in a plane, short of your entire seat getting punted free of the airframe completely. You know instantly there's no recovery and no way to escape. Just waiting it out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

For whatever reason I started getting really nervous about flying a few years ago and one of the things I kept telling myself was "Well, whatever happens at least the wings can't just fall off and drop this plane like a stone"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lifecycles on civilian transports are a lot more predictable. There'll always be freak accidents, but you're literally more likely to get hurt driving to/from the airport than taking the drat plane.

• Locked thread