Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I've always liked this poster, but I couldn't justify the price for a full-size print, so I ended up getting this in an 11"x17" mini-poster to stick somewhere in my room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

amenenema posted:

Another advantage is you can run rigid frame/fork (less complexity/failure points) and use the tires for suspension. Great for a trekking bike.
I think the biggest problem with using a fatbike for touring is that it would be a serious loving pain in the rear end if you damaged/wore out a tire (like you might not even be able to find a replacement in bike shops in a lot of places). I believe last year I read a story about this happening to someone.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

prinneh posted:

So cool! So Jealous!

Judging from your new and extremely good looking skipants, you're not on a budget, which is good, because Switzerland is expensive! Zermatt is great, you can cross over from there into Cervinio, Italy, which is cheaper and a great skiing distination too. I normally ski there, but only because I can't afford Zermatt :)

If you're only there for a couple of days of beginner skiing, I'd suggest sticking to the blue slopes, because the reds in Zermatt could be a little daunting for beginners. Also, if you're not there with somone who knows how to ski and is willing to teach you, join a skischool or get a private tutor - It's worth it! Another tip to get more out of your trip would be to go skiing at a smaller place before you go on your two day holiday. Most people will spend the first day or so on their asses, but once you stop falling down it really takes off and Zermatt is a just beautiful place to ski around.

Will you be near the train that takes you up to the slopes? I've always wanted to ride it, but it's not really a part of the Skipass I normally get :(

Last thing. On the first day the weather permits it, we normally cross the border from Italy and ski down into Zermatt. Why do we do this? We say we do it for the views, but mostly we do it to have a large beer and THE Alpen-lunch: rsti mit speck und spiegelei. That also comes with cheese, if you please. Whatever you do, eat this.

Good luck on your skiing, it's the best sport in the world and your view of the Matterhorn (aka Toblerone Mountain!) is glorious.

Edit: Decided I wanted to illustrate my post with some pictures!

Matterhorn from half the Italien side and half the Swiss side:

Daunting views of Zermatt town from a red near the top. I'm afraid of heights, so despite 20 years of skiing, this place always freaks me out a little:

Looks awful, but it's *just* what you need:

Jesus you made me hungry for "Crote au fromage" in french, which is also a nice cheese dish to eat in the mountains. At least winter is coming so we'll have a great excuse to eat lots of fondue and raclette and crote au fromage and getting obese. :D Glad you guys like Switzerland, it's a great place to visit if you can afford it.

Content:

Just released in Switzerland

To watch item above

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I haven't heard of any of those movies. Netflix sounds like a scam over there.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Mu Zeta posted:

I just picked a picture randomly. The catalog is missing a lot of stuff currently but I can just use the US one quite easily.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

It looks like they are fake movie posters actually

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

prinneh posted:

So cool! So Jealous!

Judging from your new and extremely good looking skipants, you're not on a budget, which is good, because Switzerland is expensive! Zermatt is great, you can cross over from there into Cervinio, Italy, which is cheaper and a great skiing distination too. I normally ski there, but only because I can't afford Zermatt :)

If you're only there for a couple of days of beginner skiing, I'd suggest sticking to the blue slopes, because the reds in Zermatt could be a little daunting for beginners. Also, if you're not there with somone who knows how to ski and is willing to teach you, join a skischool or get a private tutor - It's worth it! Another tip to get more out of your trip would be to go skiing at a smaller place before you go on your two day holiday. Most people will spend the first day or so on their asses, but once you stop falling down it really takes off and Zermatt is a just beautiful place to ski around.

Will you be near the train that takes you up to the slopes? I've always wanted to ride it, but it's not really a part of the Skipass I normally get :(

Last thing. On the first day the weather permits it, we normally cross the border from Italy and ski down into Zermatt. Why do we do this? We say we do it for the views, but mostly we do it to have a large beer and THE Alpen-lunch: rsti mit speck und spiegelei. That also comes with cheese, if you please. Whatever you do, eat this.

Good luck on your skiing, it's the best sport in the world and your view of the Matterhorn (aka Toblerone Mountain!) is glorious.

Thanks for the info. The hotel we're staying it is right next to a cable car station which should be nice - we figured it would be better to not have to lug all the ski stuff to the train station rather than being closer to the bars/etc in the Zermatt city center. I am going with a couple people who do the black slopes - I haven't decided if I'd be comfortable with them teaching me or getting a lesson. They are the type of people I'd expect to push me too fast into the advanced stuff. If I can find the time off work to do it beforehand on my own, maybe that would be best. Really all I want on my first trip is to learn to not fall down, and not fall off the side of the mountain/ram myself into a tree. Last year after ski season I saw at least 2 or 3 coworkers end up missing weeks of work after breaking their legs in Zermatt, so honestly I am a little nervous.

It should be great though. I'm trying to pick out a jacket now - these are much more expensive than the pants.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It looks like they are fake movie posters actually

It seems they're generic marketing things.

https://nrdpartnermarketing.com/en-gb/generic-title-cover-art

Also you can go here if you want to watch a clip of "Zen & Zack" :frog:

https://nrdpartnermarketing.com/en-gb/generic-movie-clips/zen-zack-15-seconds

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I've always liked this poster, but I couldn't justify the price for a full-size print, so I ended up getting this in an 11"x17" mini-poster to stick somewhere in my room.

I think it was an early and very sharp insight into the reality show death-sport genre that, in some qualities, surpassed most later examples. A really good movie and I think it's a neat poster. Curious that the poster doesn't have the full title: "Series 7: the Contenders". I suppose it's one of those marketing slash last minute decision deals.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Aristophanes posted:

It seems they're generic marketing things.

https://nrdpartnermarketing.com/en-gb/generic-title-cover-art

Also you can go here if you want to watch a clip of "Zen & Zack" :frog:

https://nrdpartnermarketing.com/en-gb/generic-movie-clips/zen-zack-15-seconds

Seems better than about 60% of the stuff on my Netflix.

And it's probably the only film that I haven't already seen a dozen times.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Murphy Brownback posted:

Thanks for the info. The hotel we're staying it is right next to a cable car station which should be nice - we figured it would be better to not have to lug all the ski stuff to the train station rather than being closer to the bars/etc in the Zermatt city center. I am going with a couple people who do the black slopes - I haven't decided if I'd be comfortable with them teaching me or getting a lesson. They are the type of people I'd expect to push me too fast into the advanced stuff. If I can find the time off work to do it beforehand on my own, maybe that would be best. Really all I want on my first trip is to learn to not fall down, and not fall off the side of the mountain/ram myself into a tree. Last year after ski season I saw at least 2 or 3 coworkers end up missing weeks of work after breaking their legs in Zermatt, so honestly I am a little nervous.

It should be great though. I'm trying to pick out a jacket now - these are much more expensive than the pants.

Cool! I'd say try it out with one or more of them, maybe have them in a rotation of sorts? Teaching skiing can be a bit of a butthurt if you're not that into teaching and just wanna let off some steam, but if you can avoid the price of an instructor, your wallet will thank you. You'll also be a lot less of a drag to teach if you go somewhere beforehand and have your "prentending I'm bambi on the ice"-day, even though having a friend there to help would probably be good too :)

Don't let yourself get pushed too much. If an instructor with 10+ years experience pushes you, it's for your own good, if a friend still slightly buzzed from lunch pushes you, well, that could hurt!

Since very few of us are skiing an entire season, you might wanna try to ask around and see if you could just borrow a ski jacket. You seem to know a few people who ski, so you might just ask. Would be a good way to save 400 euros! Otherwise you could always pick up a used one, some people get all the gear before having even tried it and then decide it's not for them.

Also, everybody wears helmets now.

You will be great and have a wondeful and magical time and You'll get addicted to it :)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Le0 posted:

I just picked a picture randomly. The catalog is missing a lot of stuff currently but I can just use the US one quite easily.

Yeah, that's the main thing.

Once Netflix is available in your country it's easy to watch another country's content. But without that local availability, it's much harder to sign up.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

You can be late to the videogame party and still be the life of it...right?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

You can be late to the videogame party and still be the life of it...right?

Excellent haul there, well played Captain. You will get a lot of enjoyment out of every one of those.

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007

kill people burn shit fuck school

Because I want everyone who comes to my apartment to know how sophisticated I am.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Cuniculous posted:

Because I want everyone who comes to my apartment to know how sophisticated I am.

Is it a door mat? Where did you get it?

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009

Cuniculous posted:

Link please??

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
For a new job:

5 pairs of scrubs in different colors

My Bible for the next million years.

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007

kill people burn shit fuck school
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AU283O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, it's a door mat

Cuniculous has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Oct 1, 2014

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Gonna try making kimchi, and got a few other things:

I don't gag on the natto anymore I'm proud of myself.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I tried natto once and regretted it deeply

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

New phone:

New GPU:

RIP my wallet.

Nice, I just got a 780GTX 4GB. These fuckin own bones

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&

Keetron posted:

A Kobo Aura for my 13yo daughter, she reads about a book a day at the moment and I told her to go to the library or she could start buying her own. At least ebooks are cheaper than dead trees, at least lighter to carry around. She will be repaying me the Kobo in 10 monthly payments over the next year, I wonder if the thing lasts that long. I am a horrible father trying to instill some financial wisdom into his kids.

Fwiw most public libraries have an overdrive system where you can check out ebooks for a week at a time. Should be able to put them on most devices (they generally offer ePub, azw3, and PDF formats).

strangemusic posted:

I also bought House of Leaves, thanks for the recommendation postmodern goons!

I just finished this book on my very own Exploration No. 3. The first two I found myself unable to penetrate any depth, and this time1 I completed the novel.

1: I rolled through the book quickly with little effort. The obsession made it appear as if I was moving against my will.

Cuniculous posted:

I need a link to this please.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

jgrrr posted:

Fwiw most public libraries have an overdrive system where you can check out ebooks for a week at a time. Should be able to put them on most devices (they generally offer ePub, azw3, and PDF formats).

How do they even enforce the return of ebooks?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

NotAnArtist posted:

I tried natto once and regretted it deeply

I saw a picture of natto and deeply regretted it.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hellbeard posted:

I saw a picture of natto and deeply regretted it.

Natto is miso's retarded cousin and it smells way worse.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MaliciousOnion posted:

Built in time limit, I think. It causes the book to self-delete.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

jgrrr posted:

I need a link to this please.

On the same page.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I haven't even finished MGS2 HD yet, but I picked up a used copy of MGS 4 for $5 and MGSV:GZ is on sale on the PSN for :10bux: and I'll need it eventually anyway so here I am. It's pretty great being able to play almost all the MGS games on a PS3 (even though I will buy GZ and TPP on PC when I can). Now they just need to release the Ac!ds and Portable Ops on PS3 or I guess I need a PSP or something.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

A Samyang 8mm f/2.8 UMC fisheye lens for my Samsung NX1000 - hopefully it'll be good for Urbex and night sky photography?

gypsycabdriver
Apr 19, 2007

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Got this pretty girl coming in the morning

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Big Centipede posted:

Got this pretty girl coming in the morning

That is one choice decorative pumpkin, I'm jealous.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fooley posted:

Gonna try making kimchi, and got a few other things:

I make my own Kimchi about every 4-5 months and have never been disappointed with this recipe.

She also has a video of the process as well.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Blistex posted:

I make my own Kimchi about every 4-5 months and have never been disappointed with this recipe.

She also has a video of the process as well.

Oh yeah, I know about Maangchi. I went with a recipe on Chow but I'll probably follow her's for my next batch. I didn't realize how much it would reduce after salting (I just tossed the cabbage with salt, next time I'll do it in water).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Gotta let dat kimchi ferment get that good sour burn going.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Just bought UFO on dvd.

I haven't seen it since about 1975 when I was 10 years old and scared the hell out of me; my husband wasn't allowed to watch it since it was in ITV (his mum thought ITV shows were trashy), but has vague memories of the purple haired moon ladies who made him feel all funny Down There.

Thanks to the show, I grew up thinking that everyone in the UK had trim phones that sounded like crickets when they rang. I have been deeply disappointed yet again.

eta We just wathched the first episode which raised more questions than it answered, but I did learn the term 'moose knuckle' which is apparently the mae camel toe :gonk:

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Oct 2, 2014

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

Ms Boods posted:

Just bought UFO on dvd.

I haven't seen it since about 1975 when I was 10 years old and scared the hell out of me; my husband wasn't allowed to watch it since it was in ITV (his mum thought ITV shows were trashy), but has vague memories of the purple haired moon ladies who made him feel all funny Down There.

Thanks to the show, I grew up thinking that everyone in the UK had trim phones that sounded like crickets when they rang. I have been deeply disappointed yet again.

eta We just wathched the first episode which raised more questions than it answered, but I did learn the term 'moose knuckle' which is apparently the mae camel toe :gonk:

Isn't that the woman from Crossroads ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Moto 360 smart watch, now that they fixed the battery issues