Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I didn't love it, but I thought it was solid enough. Tim Roth is the best villain in a Marvel movie yet.

Jeff Bridges, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I kinda liked Thor 1 because I loved the production design of the Asgard scenes and, against all odds, some of the fish out of water comedy actually lands (even the girl from 2 Broke Girls gets one funny moment)

I thought Thor 2 was abysmal, pretty easily my pick for the worst Marvel movie. It took all that cool production design from the first one and replaced it with generic aliens firing pew-pew lasers. I will say that the final fight scene was pretty decent, but it was far too little far too late.

Opopanax posted:

Jeff Bridges, man

He's probably third behind Roth and Rockwell, but it's unfortunately not saying much. He's great because Jeff Bridges is great, but he's not all that much of a character.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Madkal posted:

And I used to think I was the only person who didn't like them.
Then again I think I might be the only person who really liked the Incredible Hulk movie.

I stand beside you, brother sister fellow porpoise! Incredible Hulk is pretty good, Iron Man 2 is better than most give it credit for, Thor 1 is great, Thor 2 merely alright.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He's probably third behind Roth and Rockwell, but it's unfortunately not saying much. He's great because Jeff Bridges is great, but he's not all that much of a character.

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
I thought the final battle in Thor 2 was pretty fun and creative, and silly teleporting shenanigans was easily more enjoyable than "punch villain but nearly lose until unleashing macguffin against villain at last second - cue explosion" that seems to end most action movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

We should get John Turturro for Kang the Conqueror.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

achillesforever6 posted:

I thought Ronan's motivations were pretty clear; religious fanatic who wants to destroy Xandar since the Kree have long been at war with them.

It was a fair chunk of exposition, right at the start. Should have been a bit more 'show don't tell'.

Aphrodite posted:

And Malekith's are spelled out pretty clearly in voiceover.

Again, voiceover is a pretty bad way of introducing that sort of thing. Mysterious threat and mid-film exposition would have been preferable. Also Malekith's design was bland.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Milotic posted:

It was a fair chunk of exposition, right at the start. Should have been a bit more 'show don't tell'.

Not really sure how Ronan coming out of a pool of blood and murdering a Xandar dude with the gently caress-off hammer isn't showing. Besides, that movie was packed to the gills with poo poo it didn't have time to show you the backstory of Ronan's father and grandfather and great grandfather all dying in wars with Xandar, especially when the focus of the movie is the Guardians coming together as a family.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mikeraskol posted:

Not really sure how Ronan coming out of a pool of blood and murdering a Xandar dude with the gently caress-off hammer isn't showing. Besides, that movie was packed to the gills with poo poo it didn't have time to show you the backstory of Ronan's father and grandfather and great grandfather all dying in wars with Xandar, especially when the focus of the movie is the Guardians coming together as a family.

The movie definitely tells you his motivation, but for some reason it didn't stick in my mind like I'd expect. It might just be that the movie jumps to the next fun thing so quick it doesn't have any time to sink in.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

theflyingorc posted:

The movie definitely tells you his motivation, but for some reason it didn't stick in my mind like I'd expect. It might just be that the movie jumps to the next fun thing so quick it doesn't have any time to sink in.

It was similar with me. I enjoyed Thor 2, and I loved GotG, but if you compare the introductions of the big bads, they don't really compare to Loki's introduction in the Avengers*, where he messes up an entire SHIELD facility, steals the plot device and escapes, all with his beautiful hair flowing in the wind and coming out with some cracking lines.

Rhonin murdering that dude? For all we know, Xandarians might have been assholes. They could be the planetary equivalent of people who take wheely cases on the underground during rush hour and extend out the handle to the max.

*In fairness, we had been introduced to him before, but I'm trying to imagine from the perspective of someone who hadn't.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Milotic posted:

It was similar with me. I enjoyed Thor 2, and I loved GotG, but if you compare the introductions of the big bads, they don't really compare to Loki's introduction in the Avengers*, where he messes up an entire SHIELD facility, steals the plot device and escapes, all with his beautiful hair flowing in the wind and coming out with some cracking lines.

Rhonin murdering that dude? For all we know, Xandarians might have been assholes. They could be the planetary equivalent of people who take wheely cases on the underground during rush hour and extend out the handle to the max.

*In fairness, we had been introduced to him before, but I'm trying to imagine from the perspective of someone who hadn't.

In retrospect, it might have been nice to have him involved personally in the opening. We really didn't get to see him swinging that hammer around much. He doesn't do anything personally until ~30 minutes before the end of the film.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I would argue that making a film about how rich white arms dealers make money by otherizing foreigners is significantly more "should have been important to the plot" than rich white capitalist punches supervillains.

I don't entirely disagree, but if you want a movie that's not focused on a rich white capitalist punching supervillains, well then the Iron Man films aren't gonna do much for ya.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Thor 2 was really fun and had some great jokes. It's no Guardians or anything, but it was a fine movie.

I still love the gag with all the Midgard cast yelling each other's names, then the hammer zips past and Kat Dennings still can't pronounce 'Mjolnir'.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
All I want from the MCU is for Thor 3 to introduce Beta Ray Bill.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Aphrodite posted:

The Rock as Black Adam, Shazam and using Little Man technology to play Billy.

Milotic posted:

Ben Kingsley to play Sivana, but the twist is that the real villain all along was MR MIND.

I would be super down with both of these.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

reignonyourparade posted:

All I want from the MCU is for Thor 3 to introduce Beta Ray Bill.

And the Wrecking Crew.

"C'mon Goldylocks!"

And Enchantress and Executioner.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I don't entirely disagree, but if you want a movie that's not focused on a rich white capitalist punching supervillains, well then the Iron Man films aren't gonna do much for ya.

The entire point of Iron Man is that it is a rich white capitalist who is realizing that he is actually a pretty lovely person and trying to do something better with the world. Iron Man 3 formed a pretty natural endpoint for his story even if The Avengers is continuing it by having him realize that the ability to punch supervillains is one of the less effective things he can do and is ultimately not meaningful to either his desire to make a better world or his own personal happiness.

So I guess I can't really agree that the Iron Man films aren't going to do much for me when two out of three of them are about that and the one in the middle was just kind of lovely even from a punch-supervillains standpoint.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Do we all still agree that Winter Soldier owns? Because I just watched it for the first time since I saw it in theatres and drat, that movie owns.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm sure someone hates it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I thought the AI on the ancient computer was a little silly, does that count?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Error 404 posted:

It's only silly because that's a reference to how Zola looks like in the comic book.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

The MSJ posted:

It's only silly because that's a reference to how Zola looks like in the comic book.

I get that, it was just the whole idea of consciousness uploading on 70s tech pulled me out of the story for a second. The hotwired usb port had me giggling.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chaos Hippy posted:

Do we all still agree that Winter Soldier owns? Because I just watched it for the first time since I saw it in theatres and drat, that movie owns.

Best Marvel Studios movie, definitely

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I have to agree. Winter Soldier nailed Cap's character perfectly and was just a good movie in general

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Error 404 posted:

I get that, it was just the whole idea of consciousness uploading on 70s tech pulled me out of the story for a second. The hotwired usb port had me giggling.

That's the kind of comic book bizarreness that leads to this:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Second best in my book, but what kind of boring-rear end world would we live in if we all had the same favourite?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure someone hates it.

SMG hates it.

I love Cap 2. It's high up there, but a James Gunn movie is going to top anything ever because James Gunn owns.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

SMG hates it.

Everybody knows he doesn't count.

I hope the next movie has Toby Jones showing up on betamax

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Everybody knows he doesn't count.

Toby Jones in a Teddy Ruxpin.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Holy poo poo, please. I'm so glad the Winter Soldier had the balls to do that with the character.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Error 404 posted:

That's exactly what owns about it. Best scene in the film.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
IM3 kinda sucked. The weird kung fu poses to control the armor, the armor being made of tin foil, etc. I kinda dug the PTSD Stark though.

Thor 2 was decent, but I liked Thor better.

TWS was awesome.

Still have no idea how someone could watch GTOG and NOT get Ronan's backstory. There were literally news broadcasts in the background talking about the treaty, he flat out says how his family has all died due to those assholes, even the Kree ambassador guy that what's her name talked to on Xandar was like "Dude doesn't wanna stop fighting the war. Sucks to be you. Peace out bitches!", and he even blabbered on about it to Thanos.

Short of them showing some scene of a tiny Ronan as an 8 year old as his parents get lit up by Nova Corps while they laugh and he tears up and grabs a hammer and runs off, I cannot think of a way to shoehorn in any more backstory for that guy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The poses are because Tony Stark is a douchebag.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dr Strange may never ever be actually cast but the RUMORS are that Marvel has given up on Joaquim Phoenix and is now looking at Ethan Hawke.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Not too surprising given that he was in Sinister and would be a lot cheaper.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Too bad they can't get Jared Leto and have him just look like this in the movie.

But I understand that he does not really act all that often and is thus unlikely to sign a multi-movie contract.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like Ethan Hawke a lot. He'd be a good Dr. Strange.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

I have to agree. Winter Soldier nailed Cap's character perfectly and was just a good movie in general

"Before we start... does anyone wanna get out?" sums up Cap about as well as the bullies line in the first one. And it highlights why I think anyone who says RDJ is the only 'special' actor of the bunch is nuts. Cap as a character requires someone who can nail that sincerity without coming off as overly naive or twee, and Evans manages the balancing act spectacularly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gaz-L posted:

"Before we start... does anyone wanna get out?" sums up Cap about as well as the bullies line in the first one. And it highlights why I think anyone who says RDJ is the only 'special' actor of the bunch is nuts. Cap as a character requires someone who can nail that sincerity without coming off as overly naive or twee, and Evans manages the balancing act spectacularly.

Yeah, he's been probably the most surprisingly good of their leads.

Chris Pratt is the only one that didn't really work for me, but I suspect I'm in a very small minority there.

E: VVVVV That's basically it.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Pratt was outshone by the rest of his cast except Zoe Saldana and she had so little to work with it wasn't really fair. He wasn't bad but Rocket/Groot/Drax all ended up more memorable aside from the dancing.

• Locked thread