Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
tell me what you'd get and what amps you'd get rid of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Record dry guitar signal then reamp through the Axe FX followed by your favourite tube amps. Maybe do this several times with clean, crunch and high gain settings. Keep your favourites and sell the rest. Also how many tube screamers can the Axe FX model simultaneously?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

muike posted:

tell me what you'd get and what amps you'd get rid of
Suhr Modern, baked maple neck, spalted body in trans-purple, color matched and top-matched headstock, no neck inlay, double oval at 12th fret, HSH pickups w/coil split, SS jumbo frets, locking tuners, recessed Floyd, vintage tint full-gloss neck.

I'd consider ditching a combination of SLO-100, AC30 w/Blues, 1971 JMP1 100w, Mesa Rect-o-Verb 1x12 combo or something.

I'm not sure still, the Axe-FX has actually practically paid for itself already with how easy it's integrated into my recording setup, I'm AHEAD on orders and am working on a stash of pre-recorded stuff, it's definitely making my workflow a LOT faster, and the quality is FANTASTIC. I don't THINK I'd miss my amps (and I wouldn't ditch them ALL, just the replaceable ones mostly), and I kept my buddy's Modern for a few days, and Jesus Christ, it's an incredible guitar...

I dunno. Part of me says 'gently caress amps', especially after a few gigs with the Axe-FX under my belt now, the other part of me says 'just budget it in and pay for it on its own'. Hence, wondering what the consensus might be.

I know the general thoughts around here regarding expensive guitars, and this would be the 3rd NEW guitar I've ever bought on my own, and it's DEFINITELY the nicest. I don't often freak out over new guitars, I go through a lot, but this one has me all twitterpated and poo poo.

The other option, is their 'Pro' series, which are the SAME guitars as the custom ordered ones, but they're produced to send to stores for retail, not a 'custom' option, but with the most commonly ordered specs, they're about $2k. It's a 'find one you like' kind of thing.

Edit: Oh, the first 2 weeks with the Axe were nothing BUT side by side comparisons. If I'm being completely honest, I can't find a single negative aspect of the Axe-FX compared to traditional amps. The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around was setting up my FINAL sound (mic'd cab v/s pre-mic'd cab), but that just took a day or two.

I think it's really just hard to mentally say 'yup, the little box is as good as the rest', it's almost intangible or something, I dunno.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 30, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

iostream.h posted:

Suhr Modern, baked maple neck, spalted body in trans-purple, color matched and top-matched headstock, no neck inlay, double oval at 12th fret, HSH pickups w/coil split, SS jumbo frets, locking tuners, recessed Floyd, vintage tint full-gloss neck.

I'd consider ditching a combination of SLO-100, AC30 w/Blues, 1971 JMP1 100w, Mesa Rect-o-Verb 1x12 combo or something.

I'm not sure still, the Axe-FX has actually practically paid for itself already with how easy it's integrated into my recording setup, I'm AHEAD on orders and am working on a stash of pre-recorded stuff, it's definitely making my workflow a LOT faster, and the quality is FANTASTIC. I don't THINK I'd miss my amps (and I wouldn't ditch them ALL, just the replaceable ones mostly), and I kept my buddy's Modern for a few days, and Jesus Christ, it's an incredible guitar...

I dunno. Part of me says 'gently caress amps', especially after a few gigs with the Axe-FX under my belt now, the other part of me says 'just budget it in and pay for it on its own'. Hence, wondering what the consensus might be.

I know the general thoughts around here regarding expensive guitars, and this would be the 3rd NEW guitar I've ever bought on my own, and it's DEFINITELY the nicest. I don't often freak out over new guitars, I go through a lot, but this one has me all twitterpated and poo poo.

The other option, is their 'Pro' series, which are the SAME guitars as the custom ordered ones, but they're produced to send to stores for retail, not a 'custom' option, but with the most commonly ordered specs, they're about $2k. It's a 'find one you like' kind of thing.

Edit: Oh, the first 2 weeks with the Axe were nothing BUT side by side comparisons. If I'm being completely honest, I can't find a single negative aspect of the Axe-FX compared to traditional amps. The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around was setting up my FINAL sound (mic'd cab v/s pre-mic'd cab), but that just took a day or two.

I think it's really just hard to mentally say 'yup, the little box is as good as the rest', it's almost intangible or something, I dunno.

So does that mean I should take this Jet City out of its shipping box

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

So does that mean I should take this Jet City out of its shipping box
Haha, no I still need another combo, but thanks for reminding me, I KNEW there was something I was forget

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I was with you until you said the S in HSH and vintage tint gloss

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

A friend of mine in high school who got me into the Haunted took his S series and just cut out the middle pickup without rewiring anything and I think Ibanez should just do that with all of them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it was the first thing I did when I got my S when I was like 15 or w/e and I still use that guitar every day

e: and i think ibanez is catching on because some of the latest ones don't have that useless middle pickup. some of them don't even have the useless neck pickup!!!

muike fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 30, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

iostream.h posted:

So, being newly addicted to Suhr guitars (seriously, do anything it takes to go try one out) I spec'd out my dream build, $4500.

Question is: I haven't fired up an amp since getting my Axe-FX, how dumb would it be to unload an amp to snag this?

If you just jam in your living room then go for it.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

muike posted:

it was the first thing I did when I got my S when I was like 15 or w/e and I still use that guitar every day

e: and i think ibanez is catching on because some of the latest ones don't have that useless middle pickup. some of them don't even have the useless neck pickup!!!

Yeah, I've always wondered if there is anyone who really swears by HSH, or if they just wound up with them because that's what they were selling at Ibanez or wherever. FWIW, I'm that guy who likes an H at the neck and an S at the bridge, '72 Tele style. Seemingly not a very popular configuration.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The only HSH I actually like is the nighthawk with that setup, and only because I think it looks cooler than either of the HH arrangements.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bread Dragon posted:

Yeah, I've always wondered if there is anyone who really swears by HSH, or if they just wound up with them because that's what they were selling at Ibanez or wherever. FWIW, I'm that guy who likes an H at the neck and an S at the bridge, '72 Tele style. Seemingly not a very popular configuration.

Seemed plenty popular with Mr. Richards of some stones band.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

I hate HSH because my pick always hits the middle pickup. I haven't played on a SSS strat in a while but I have a bad feeling when I do get my strat back I'm going to hate the middle pickup.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Sockington posted:

Seemed plenty popular with Mr. Richards of some stones band.

Yeah, the Tele Custom definitely has a few fans - Richards most famously, Andy Summers (sort of), and most importantly to me, D. Boon in a good handful of photographs. I've seen more people in person play the HH Tele Deluxe, like the dude from Red Fang, and some local heavy rockers. I've just always been surprised that the Tele Custom type configuration isn't more popular.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I'd love a Tele Custom with a pair of real WRHBs, but jesus christ those fuckers are expensive.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I want a Tele with a Charlie Christian in it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Took my girlfriend out last weekend to look at a guitar for her birthday, and she is pretty set on this guy here. The neck is 25.5" scale long, but is thin/narrow enough for her to get her pixie hands around it and able to do chords so that's what she has her mind set on. It is certainly easier for her to get her hands around that compared to my Malden Utopia and is a fair spot lighter than my crappy old Epiphone Les Paul 2.

The guitar comes in either Friday or next Monday, we'll see how she likes it when she plays it a bit.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Remulak posted:

I'd love a Tele Custom with a pair of real WRHBs, but jesus christ those fuckers are expensive.
Yeah, I've got one of the '72 Custom reissues from around 2000 and the repro wide range in them is definitely meh. And it's not like there's a whole shitload of aftermarket pickups with the same form factor.

In other news I just reassembled my archtop. Apparently managed to gently caress something up wrestling the wiring harness back into the thing---tested everything both with a multimeter and by plugging it into an amp before reassembly and everything was fine, but after getting the electronics back in the guitar it has some serious hum. Must've knocked a ground loose somewhere.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I'm looking at a Yamaha Pacifica 112 on CL for $60, just to see if I have any patience for an electric guitar. For an extra $40 the guy will throw in a Drive EA15 amp, cable, strap, and stand. For $100 I figure it would give me the experience without putting me out a bunch of money.

Thing is, I looked up the amp and the Drive product guide lists it as an amp for acoustic pickups. At this level there a huge difference between an amp designed for electric pickups vs. one designed for acoustic ones? If not, I wouldn't mind having an amp like that, as I kinda want to get a pick-upped uke sometime in the future to go with my regular ones.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it would sound like butt probably and also i've never heard of that brand

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Every few months I tap into this weird dick dale surf rock/eastern sounding jam and run with it for like an hour. I love playing it but I don't know anything about the genre. I like it energetic and bouncy like old surf, kinda spazzy but melodic like tera melos. What artists should I look into? I've hardly listened to anything surfy even though playing it locks me into a loving zone.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

muike posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of the middle single myself, BUT it's a sound that a lot of people want. Honestly, I'd PREFER to just set it up with a pair of P90's, but that's not the most sensible choice. Utility dictates a pair of split hum buckers and a mid single.

Light vintage tint on the neck, and only that really because the baked maple looks kind of dingy otherwise.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

If you just jam in your living room then go for it.
Well duh, what the hell would I do with an expensive guitar, take it to a gig or something?
JEEZ!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
mate if you're going to get baked maple you might as well just accept it looks like an overcripsed french fry.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Target Practice posted:

I'm looking at a Yamaha Pacifica 112 on CL for $60, just to see if I have any patience for an electric guitar. For an extra $40 the guy will throw in a Drive EA15 amp, cable, strap, and stand. For $100 I figure it would give me the experience without putting me out a bunch of money.

Thing is, I looked up the amp and the Drive product guide lists it as an amp for acoustic pickups. At this level there a huge difference between an amp designed for electric pickups vs. one designed for acoustic ones? If not, I wouldn't mind having an amp like that, as I kinda want to get a pick-upped uke sometime in the future to go with my regular ones.

Just buy your own strap and get a Vox Amplug from Amazon of your chosen flavour then listen on a pair of decent headphones or desktop PC speakers with a 3.5mm jack.

Don't buy any of the K-On limited edition signature AmplugS, they're going right to GBS's bathroom recording tips thread.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
do those really exist tho cuz i need to see

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

muike posted:

mate if you're going to get baked maple you might as well just accept it looks like an overcripsed french fry.

Well admittedly, it doesn't look all that good, but supposedly it's near-immune to temperature/humidity changes, and I travel some pretty far distances north to south a LOT and that's pretty appealing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
oh yeah the benefits are great it just looks like turd

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Bread Dragon posted:

Yeah, the Tele Custom definitely has a few fans - Richards most famously, Andy Summers (sort of), and most importantly to me, D. Boon in a good handful of photographs. I've seen more people in person play the HH Tele Deluxe, like the dude from Red Fang, and some local heavy rockers. I've just always been surprised that the Tele Custom type configuration isn't more popular.
my fave guitar is a G&L tele with a humbucker in the neck that I replaced with a Novak WRHB (in a normal humbucker form factor).

it is amaaaaaaazing.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

What exactly is different about the old fender WRHB pickups from the newer reissue ones?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DeathSandwich posted:

Took my girlfriend out last weekend to look at a guitar for her birthday, and she is pretty set on this guy here. The neck is 25.5" scale long, but is thin/narrow enough for her to get her pixie hands around it and able to do chords so that's what she has her mind set on. It is certainly easier for her to get her hands around that compared to my Malden Utopia and is a fair spot lighter than my crappy old Epiphone Les Paul 2.

The guitar comes in either Friday or next Monday, we'll see how she likes it when she plays it a bit.

I've had a GIO (albeit an older model with single-coils on the neck and middle pickups, but I only use the bridge double-coil anyway) as my only guitar since like 2007, it's fantastic. Slap some DR Pure Blues on it, get her a good pedal (I use a Metal Muff into a Crate V18, hugely versatile combo) and she'll be set for a while. Can't argue with the price, either; I got mine used for $90 off of Myspace classifieds. :v:

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Dirt posted:

What exactly is different about the old fender WRHB pickups from the newer reissue ones?

The originals used rarer and more expensive magnet rods with a lot of winds; the reissues are basically just regular humbuckers fitted to the WRHB form factor.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Fucknag posted:

I've had a GIO (albeit an older model with single-coils on the neck and middle pickups, but I only use the bridge double-coil anyway) as my only guitar since like 2007, it's fantastic. Slap some DR Pure Blues on it, get her a good pedal (I use a Metal Muff into a Crate V18, hugely versatile combo) and she'll be set for a while. Can't argue with the price, either; I got mine used for $90 off of Myspace classifieds. :v:

i hope you play punk

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Dirt posted:

The posts themselves were the magnets.

New versions are just regular ole humbuckers.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dirt posted:

Different bobbin size, reissue poles are steel screws through the bobbin to a bar magnet (original used threaded magnet pole pieces), reissue isn't potted.

The original HRHBs aren't exactly my favourite pickup ever or anything, but the reissue version just sounds like a slightly anemic generic humbucker with a bottom end that tends toward sounding flat and thuddy.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The posts themselves were the magnets.

New versions are just regular ole humbuckers.

Side Effects posted:

The originals used rarer and more expensive magnet rods with a lot of winds; the reissues are basically just regular humbuckers fitted to the WRHB form factor.

Gotcha. I've never played a vintage one. I did own one of those Tele thinline HH reissues for awhile though. The pickups sounded pretty good IMO. Now I want to try an old one.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Kilometers Davis posted:

Every few months I tap into this weird dick dale surf rock/eastern sounding jam and run with it for like an hour. I love playing it but I don't know anything about the genre. I like it energetic and bouncy like old surf, kinda spazzy but melodic like tera melos. What artists should I look into? I've hardly listened to anything surfy even though playing it locks me into a loving zone.
:words:
Not sure whether you want eastern-sounding surf particularly or just general surf? The eastern-sounding stuff from the classic period is usually restricted to the occasional track, but there's modern bands that do something similar even though the 'surf' part is usually sorta diluted. Black Sun Ensemble are one that come to mind, and Sun City Girls did it sometimes too. Waaay more of an Eastern bent with those bands, though.

If you know Dick Dale, you know classic surf rock. There's of course also the Ventures, the Shadows, the Surfaris... Albums are a mixed bag, get compilations (apart from the 1993 Dick Dale one, 'Tribal Thunder'). 'Group sounds' and 'eleki' from Japan might get you closer, a good Takeshi Terauchi compilation will go a long way. I'm pretty sure a Morricone compilation would have a lot of close sounds, too. Link Wray isn't exactly surf, but still worth a look in - hell, you probably already know how to play 'Rumble'. There's a current group in a similar vein that's fun too, the Diminished Men.

If you wanna hear what other people did with the surf stuff, there's lots out there but not much of it gets very Eastern. Definitely check out Agent Orange. Most of the others do surf the way the Ramones did. And I think the Feelies get sorta close from a different angle, on their first album. But then you're just getting 'indie rock' and you might as well check out Polvo, Sonic Youth, etc. where the link is tenuous at best.

I really dig when surf dudes did stuff like Caravan, Misirlou, so on. Wish there was more out there.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

The guitar stylings of Omar Khorshid will make you feel so good and be a great starting point for the intersection of traditional surf with Middle Eastern vibes. You lucky dog.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kilometers Davis posted:

Secret Chiefs 3. Middle Eastern surf is like 40% of their gimmick.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've been on a surf kick lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGWyCqExkdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-FBO9i9p5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw9QoopQ3cI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phY5kExXPiQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Can't forget about my beloved mermen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P764knLUsko

There are a lot of Mermen live shows at archive.org, https://archive.org/search.php?query=mermen%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

They're very good.

edit: everyone should listen to the Cubberly show at least once: https://archive.org/details/mermen1998-03-20.shnf

jwh fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 1, 2014