Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
p sure they just pin it there as a subtle way of saying "please use our app store please remember that we have one" like they did for the 8.1 update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:spergin:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol attention to detail is a lost art

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

carry on then posted:

lol attention to detail is a lost art
died with stebe

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I did notice a subtle icon drift in iOS 8

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

when i yelled about this in 8 they called me mad

e: death to padding, bring back windows classic

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

For a modern OS, it would make sense to make every browser tab appear as an "app" even if it's an IE window. Removing a bunch of chome could be nice.

Of course that is probably a real tripadvisor app.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the virtual desktops and not expose actually seem kind of nice but knowing most windows developers will not work for anything that doesn't ship with the os

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfveyXCsiA8

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

powershell is trash and I hope they get rid of it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao @ 33:05 they added the Anroid back button to windows

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

the virtual desktops and not expose actually seem kind of nice but knowing most windows developers will not work for anything that doesn't ship with the os

a modal dialog has opened on another desktop. anywhere you click gives you an error ding but you have no idea why.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
watching this and a lot of the stuff they demo is poo poo they should have done in windows 8 to begin with

yes thank you i would like the jump lists in the start menu back

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

For a modern OS, it would make sense to make every browser tab appear as an "app" even if it's an IE window. Removing a bunch of chome could be nice.

Of course that is probably a real tripadvisor app.

gently caress programs that display each document as their own window on the taskbar.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The Management posted:

a modal dialog has opened on another desktop. anywhere you click gives you an error ding but you have no idea why.

also the dialog refuses to give up focus so you can't switch to that desktop

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

univbee posted:

actually 9 is unlucky in japan, so maybe?

also wtf there's a kinect in the bottom right

oh i get it. theres ten devices in the picture.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

the real tragedy here is the 3 or 4 different icon styles on display

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheany posted:

gently caress programs that display each document as their own window on the taskbar.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

they put the kinect there because that device doesn't have a keyboard, it's only a touch screen, so the thinking by some manager is probably that people will replace their keyboards and mice with kinects and touchscreens

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
they called the ninth version of windows windows 10

roybot9000
Aug 27, 2003

Korean Boomhauer posted:

oh i get it. theres ten devices in the picture.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

The Management posted:

i didn't think about this but lol this is definitely gonna happen

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Amethyst posted:

they didn't, though

windows version naming is so screwed up plus there were two simultaneous product lines for a while its hard to even say which number this is

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I am so signing up for this preview thing, I want to see this train wreck first hand

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

they added the taskbar to the tablet interface hahahahaha

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Amethyst posted:

I can't believe the amount of RAM you need to run windows 10, the ninth windows

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
seriously why the gently caress does microsoft never just produce a whole set of new icons for each release when thats probably the cheapest thing to do of all the stupid poo poo that needs fixed

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Oh god, so many laughs today at our lunch meeting.

Thanks Microsoft Windows 10

Thicrodows10

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Fabricated posted:

seriously why the gently caress does microsoft never just produce a whole set of new icons for each release when thats probably the cheapest thing to do of all the stupid poo poo that needs fixed

because the exact same sort of people that loudly declare samsung phones the best because they have the most features regardless of how well those features are implemented are making the decisions on the windows team?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

powershell exists because people wanted a shell for no reason so Microsoft made one.

yeah, how dare cjs want to script and automate their work instead if RDing into each Windows "server" and click around the UI to get anything done

actually, I think I actually agree with Shaggar: they shouldn't have done powershell

they should've left servers to the grownup operating systems

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Fabricated posted:

for real it's probably because people complain when they change the icons

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

powershell really is poo poo compared to bash though.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

the talent deficit posted:

for real it's probably because people complain when they change the icons

also third parties might be relying on them to present in their own ui, and changing might break them

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
antivirus software probably checks the filesize of the icon dlls and deletes everything if it's off by 100k

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phoenixan posted:

antivirus software probably checks the filesize of the icon dlls and deletes everything if it's off by 100k

actually i bet windows has some file protection poo poo for dlls

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

they didn't, though

windows version naming is so screwed up plus there were two simultaneous product lines for a while its hard to even say which number this is

microsoft needs to pull a "crisis on infinite earths" to get their product lines in order

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

duTrieux. posted:

microsoft needs to pull a "crisis on infinite earths" to get their product lines in order
the single reason that anyone uses windows is that all their old poo poo works with windows. if you do this you get rid of that and welp :byewhore:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

the single reason that anyone uses windows is that all their old poo poo works with windows. if you do this you get rid of that and welp :byewhore:

then they can just do a "zero hour" and give it another shot

• Locked thread