Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Erm, if you're getting 6.4mbps from speed test, then you have something really wrong with your connection. Isn't the cheapest option 25mbps? It seems more likely that there is something wrong on your end.

Ugh, I think you're right. Just started downloading a game on Macbook instead of my desktop and it was going at 3mbps. Macbook also gets 25mbps on Speedtest :v:

e: just unplugged my stupid USB wifi adapter and plugged it back and now things are fast again. See y'all in the fast lane :c00lbert:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Just got an email telling me that steam will soon be priced in Canadian dollars and that my current steam wallet will be converted to Canadian dollars at a conversion rate dictated by the market.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I feel like I'm about to get screwed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

odiv posted:

I'm finding it hard to be optimistic about this. I really hope this isn't just going to end up with us screwed on prices, eh.

I don't really think I've seen this happen often and when it does its usually on hardware, not software. I don't think I've ever seen a game disc marked up for Canadian dollars.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Niggurath posted:

I don't know; I'm still doing the opening area and find the combat to be a bit too easy I guess? Like I could shoot arrows and stealth about or have slaves fight for me....but then I could also just mash X until a guy falls down and let hold RT and press X? So far it seems like there's a lot of optional cool things to do but I feel like I have to go out of my way to setup cool things to happen. Also I'm finding the intel system pretty useless; "Sybrar the Slayer is weak to stabbings and arrows"....good to know.

The game gets surprisingly difficult later on. While you'll mow through the regular orcs quite well, later on they'll get a lot more powerful, Captains can potentially survive with their former weaknesses now covered, they'll develop leadership abilities, etc.

When the ability to control orcs comes into play the difficulty shoots up and gets entwined quite heavily with how you play politics. If you just treat it as a straight brawler from that point is' perfectly doable - and fun! - but a lot, lot harder.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

I don't really think I've seen this happen often and when it does its usually on hardware, not software. I don't think I've ever seen a game disc marked up for Canadian dollars.

Actually almost all console games are marked up by 5$ in Canada even though our dollar usually doesn't sit that much below par. It only started this summer.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

abraham linksys posted:

Ugh, I think you're right. Just started downloading a game on Macbook instead of my desktop and it was going at 3mbps. Macbook also gets 25mbps on Speedtest :v:

e: just unplugged my stupid USB wifi adapter and plugged it back and now things are fast again. See y'all in the fast lane :c00lbert:

Just like to point out the guy with internet issues has linksys in his name. Sorry this amused me. Anyhow does anyone else really really wish Starforge was actually good?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sextro posted:

Just like to point out the guy with internet issues has linksys in his name. Sorry this amused me. Anyhow does anyone else really really wish Starforge was actually good?

It's just another open word craft/build/survive with a 3rd person view and a sci-fi setting that started off with huge potential and devs stopped really trying. Probably one of the best examples of an EA failure that just transitioned to the regular marketplace without fulfilling most of their promises. At its current state is barely a functional tech demo asking for $20.

I'd rather have a really polished 2D game like Signs of Life then a bloated piece of poo poo like Starforge.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 1, 2014

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Also, yes, it's LotR-universe and that's about it as far as lore relevancy goes, near as I can tell, but it DOES have Gollum singing a song about that mean nasty Ranger and it's wonderful :allears:

This is God's truth. nasty, tricky ranger

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
Just saw the announcement that Borderlands 2 is now SteamOS compatible, and that the Pre-Sequel will be SteamOS compatible on launch.

This is the first I've seen this. How many games are jumping on board?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

The Machinima Man posted:

Just saw the announcement that Borderlands 2 is now SteamOS compatible, and that the Pre-Sequel will be SteamOS compatible on launch.

This is the first I've seen this. How many games are jumping on board?

SteamOS is essentially just a marketing name for Linux, and tons of games have Linux support.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=&sort_by=_ASC&os=linux&page=1

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What's going on with SteamOS, anyways? Anyone been paying attention to the beta?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tafferling posted:

Apparently yes, but just for designing the last race, which gifted us robotic third world missionaries wearing Smough regalia. It's awesome.
BUT reading the forums I suspect that they plopped one of their artists disguised as a forum goer which cranked out really good art that got voted unanimously because the rest was a sea of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v8TYUqEIMk
I could watch their presentation videos all day :allears:

Endless Legend is pretty good overall for people wanting a Civ style game with a fantasy twist.

The art production is pretty good too considering it's a early access game and I'm really liking the distinct factions along with how the game tells a overreaching story
through a main questline.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Think this Canadian dollar thing on Steam will affect key prices from third-party sellers?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

poptart_fairy posted:

The game gets surprisingly difficult later on. While you'll mow through the regular orcs quite well, later on they'll get a lot more powerful, Captains can potentially survive with their former weaknesses now covered, they'll develop leadership abilities, etc.

When the ability to control orcs comes into play the difficulty shoots up and gets entwined quite heavily with how you play politics. If you just treat it as a straight brawler from that point is' perfectly doable - and fun! - but a lot, lot harder.
Sounds great. But the map feels kinda small. Dunno if that's intentional but I guess the whole fun is playing with the Nemesis system. I guess there's also a mode that will never depopulate the list too.

Also, I don't think I've ever had anyone come back yet (I only started the quest to kill the first set of warchiefs). Like I heard about stuff like they take an arrow in the eye and die and then come back? Or do they have to escape with the injury? Because I would figure the army/captain screen would say if someone returned from the dead.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I apologize for the anime-style gif, but I finally managed to find a single image file that explains why I like Steam so much.

There's just so much to love. I've had to reformat my computer before. The fact that I can reinstall my games at will without having to pull out a backup and/or install disc is so nice.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Sober posted:

Also, I don't think I've ever had anyone come back yet (I only started the quest to kill the first set of warchiefs). Like I heard about stuff like they take an arrow in the eye and die and then come back? Or do they have to escape with the injury? Because I would figure the army/captain screen would say if someone returned from the dead.

I think different orcs can take over where the killed ones once where. So they "come back" but don't at the same time.

I did have one say something to me about burning his face before but it was like the second one I ever encountered so I dunno. Definitely never saw the guy before or burned anyone's face. It was about 20 minutes into the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Actually almost all console games are marked up by 5$ in Canada even though our dollar usually doesn't sit that much below par. It only started this summer.

Huh, yet another reason to not get a PS4.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
So Shadows of Mordor sounds pretty good, but I have a stupid question. Its not one of those games that requires online to get the "full experience" like the Souls games, right? Most of my gaming is done off-line since my internet access is just turning my phone into a hotspot, which is both slow and has a small data cap. I'd hate to get an awesome sounding game only to learn the cool stuff is disabled unless I'm online.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

If you use your words instead of pictures, you won't need to use creepy anime gifs to explain why you like Steam.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What's going on with SteamOS, anyways? Anyone been paying attention to the beta?

The occasional thing is being ported to Linux but it sounds like the machines themselves are kind of pricy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

computer parts posted:

The occasional thing is being ported to Linux but it sounds like the machines themselves are kind of pricy.

SteamOS itself has been out in the wild for a while, not just attached to their potential consoles. It's still basically just Linux though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Spectacle Rock posted:

I apologize for the anime-style gif, but I finally managed to find a single image file that explains why I like Steam so much.

There's just so much to love. I've had to reformat my computer before. The fact that I can reinstall my games at will without having to pull out a backup and/or install disc is so nice.

you like steam because of an anime with underage incest-rape?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
There's a pretty big collection of games available for Linux now. I'm on my Linux netbook right now and checking real quick I have exactly 300 games in my library that have Linux ports.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…also, why use such a pathetically low resolution as 1080p as an argument when it's not even a particularly defining characteristic?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I liked the GIF, lay off the guy. RIP mangaposting

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Tippis posted:

…also, why use such a pathetically low resolution as 1080p as an argument when it's not even a particularly defining characteristic?

Probably because when consoles brag about 1080p its normally just 540 or 720p upscaled to 1080p rather than rendering natively at 1080p.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there any way to make the new steam store page only recommend me games with controller support?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there any way to make the new steam store page only recommend me games with controller support?

customization of NEW STEAM is impossible

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Also, yes, it's LotR-universe and that's about it as far as lore relevancy goes, near as I can tell, but it DOES have Gollum singing a song about that mean nasty Ranger and it's wonderful :allears:

More importantly, the friendly Elf smells nice, like dead fish! The nasty Ranger smells like bread and herbs. Thus the nasty Ranger is even more nasty!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

I know! What scrublord is running anything less than 5120×2880 these days?! No one I want to associate with. That's who.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

corn in the bible posted:

customization of NEW STEAM is impossible
Is this snarky reply supposed to mean something?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think he's being serious. They changed Steam recently and now you cant customize it like you used to.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think he's being serious. They changed Steam recently and now you cant customize it like you used to.
Oh. I associate lack of caps/punctuation with snarky replies.

I wondered because it seems to be recommending me games based on games I own now, but I don't know what aspects of those games it is looking at. I wish I could tell its dumb rear end that the one thing almost all my games have in common is that they have controller support.

edit: it reminds me of Netflix where it recommends movies based on ones I watched, but it overlooks one important aspect: the common element to all the movies I watch isn't their genre or actors or whatever, it's that they are good movies.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 1, 2014

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Not exactly an elegant solution, but you could add the Controller Support tag to all of those games, see if that gives the system a clue.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh. I associate lack of caps/punctuation with snarky replies.

I wondered because it seems to be recommending me games based on games I own now, but I don't know what ASPECTS of those games. I wish I could tell its dumb rear end that the one thing almost all my games have in common is that they have controller support.

You can't affect the recommendations directly. Get linked to a terrible visual novel at some point and you'll get VN recommendations forever.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

You can't affect the recommendations directly. Get linked to a terrible visual novel at some point and you'll get VN recommendations forever.
Ah, so it's now the same as every other dumb-rear end personalized ad delivery system on the internet. Seriously, those have been around for a while now, you'd think they would have gotten smarter and smarter.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

you like steam because of an anime with underage incest-rape?
Trap sprung
probably?

Finally got around to playing Luftrausers and it's good poo poo. It starts a bit rough, but after unlocking the fat body and the spread shot, holy poo poo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ah, so it's now the same as every other dumb-rear end personalized ad delivery system on the internet. Seriously, those have been around for a while now, you'd think they would have gotten smarter and smarter.

but it's BLUUUUUUUEEEEEEEE

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's actually worse than most other systems. You can mark games as Not Interested, but it only removes that specific game from the list and doesn't affect the overall algorithm.

NEW STEAM sucks, a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spectacle Rock posted:

This here thread could use more anime posts and anyone who says otherwise is a loser

A bitch rear end loser

• Locked thread