Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Sky Shadowing posted:

Nationalistic ranting

So, Paradox devs, do you ever feel like you need to hold off on creating, say, a Kurdistan tag because you'll get banned by countries that predicate their territorial integrity on the denial of representation of certain groups or states?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Dibujante posted:

So, Paradox devs, do you ever feel like you need to hold off on creating, say, a Kurdistan tag because you'll get banned by countries that predicate their territorial integrity on the denial of representation of certain groups or states?

No, but I really feel like adding kurdistan after reading that thread.

Its a moral slippery area though. I probably wouldn't add ISIS right now for example.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Someone should tell that thread that Kurdistan will likely exist by 2016.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Funky Valentine posted:

Someone should tell that thread that Kurdistan will likely exist by 2016.

But not with Turkish territory! :cryingattaturk:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Well, that's mysterious.

If you click on the "IMAGE NOT FOUND" above that in the newsletter, the link goes to a youtube of hypnotoad! :frogbon:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dibujante posted:

Isn't Hearts of Iron banned in China for its representation of the various Warlords/Cliques?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

podcat posted:

No, but I really feel like adding kurdistan after reading that thread.

Its a moral slippery area though. I probably wouldn't add ISIS right now for example.

Well yeah, there's a pretty large qualitative difference between a nation-state and what ISIS is. The notion of "Kurdistan" might as well have existed for as long as there have been Kurds, whereas ISIS as a state is pretty much a 2014 invention. They could've maybe fit in an EvW expanded timeline mod or whatever grand strategy videogame you guys will be making 60 years from now.

...I'll probably be there to yell at 2074 PDS about getting things wrong in their early 21st century-era games won't I.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Well yeah, there's a pretty large qualitative difference between a nation-state and what ISIS is. The notion of "Kurdistan" might as well have existed for as long as there have been Kurds

Nation-states are a product of 18th century political liberalism and the concept of government by consent. Before then it was naked exploitation of every ethnicity by feudal and imperial ruling classes. There were rebellions by exploited ethnicities against this, sometimes with the support of local nobilities (for personal gain, not ideology) but the desire wasn't for unification of a nation-state, but reduction of exploitation.

But yeah, I think a decision to form the Kurdistan tag would be a good idea as something for the Kurdish one province minors to aspire towards.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Enjoy posted:

Nation-states are a product of 18th century political liberalism and the concept of government by consent. Before then it was naked exploitation of every ethnicity by feudal and imperial ruling classes. There were rebellions by exploited ethnicities against this, sometimes with the support of local nobilities (for personal gain, not ideology) but the desire wasn't for unification of a nation-state, but reduction of exploitation.

But yeah, I think a decision to form the Kurdistan tag would be a good idea as something for the Kurdish one province minors to aspire towards.

I meant that ethno-cultural prerequisites for a nation-state-of-sorts in Kurdistan exist. So while a nation-state with all the political implications of the term might be out of place in most of the EU4 timeframe, the idea of Kurdistan as a potential political entity is not.

Whereas ISIS is, entirely, a 21st century fabrication.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
ISIS don't perceive themselves as or want to be a nation-state so it's kind of a moot point anyway.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Zohar posted:

ISIS don't perceive themselves as or want to be a nation-state so it's kind of a moot point anyway.

Well, no, they are a religion-state. It's in the name.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I get the point of not adding in Kurdistan if there was no concept/movement back then, I'm sure there was some real kingdom there at some time that could have Kurds as the Primary Culture. But the nationalism is kinda detracting from their point.

EDIT:

Some loser posted:

But it's attempt to my national-feels. You guys are lucky, because there aren't too much Turk.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 30, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Since every country in EU4 works as a nation state (a country with a primary/domineering culture), I see no reason not to add Kurdistan or another Kurd dominated state in that area.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Enjoy posted:

Yeah, basically by analogy to e.g. the Hindustan decision.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Enjoy posted:

A bit of an aside perhaps, but from what I gather, the Ottoman Empire is a pretty good example of a distinctly non-nation state. Even though the empire was Turkish, the Turkish areas were actually quite a bit more restless than their Balkan territories, with a much greater desire for autonomy. Perhaps not so much near the end of the game, but for a good long while.

Actually, has Paradox mentioned anything about changes in that regard? I know they're changing up the whole rebellion mechanic, but are they also changing the rebels? Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if rebels were tinkered around with to suit the different periods better.

Disco Infiva posted:

Since every country in EU4 works as a nation state (a country with a primary/domineering culture), I see no reason not to add Kurdistan or another Kurd dominated state in that area.
Paradox really needs to add a deeper dynastic system, so our kings can be of a different culture than the state. I want French kings in England and German rulers everywhere.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just a heads up, we've got a Cities: Skylines thread going now!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668767

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
"Crusader Kings II hit one million sold copies in September! That is amazing! Thank you so much to all of you who've bought and supported the game over the years!"

:wow:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Dr. Tough posted:

quote:

This is a strategy game about history. If you will not obey to history. You can go and play Risk. That is for you.
But... but... ... nevermind, I forgot that many members of the Paradox forums are truly awful people who'd be okay if every single game perfectly railroaded history without deviation.

Kurdistan seems to me to be a totally viable alternate history to include since pretty much any large ethnic concentration of people could have ended up with their own state if the world played out differently (see: how Paradox games work). As long as it doesn't go completely overboard, more cores (especially outside of Europe) for independent nations to split off are pretty much always a positive in my book.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Disco Infiva posted:

Mmm. There are a few provinces(2-3 tops, I would think) that *should* be Kurdish culture, historically speaking, and then you need a tag to sop them up in case of a nationalist revolt. It's simple as that, really.
Kurdistan shouldn't have extant cores from the start, but there's no reason the possibility of an independent Kurd-dominated state emerging should be accounted for. That region could stand to be a little more complex anyhow.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
You know your country is in the right when it bans you from talking about Kurdistan or talking poo poo about your founder. :v:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Also you have to keep screaming at everyone that NO WE NEVER COMMITTED GENOCIDE WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT WE WOULD NEVER COMMIT GENOCIDE NOPE NOPE.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't Hearts of Iron banned in China for its representation of the various Warlords/Cliques?

I believe it is sold there, but in a modified version where China is always united. I guess they'd have to nerf them a bit or they'd kick Japan out by 1939 every time? Anyway Beijing is really concerned with showing any disunity in China, even historically. I guess you go far enough back and it stops being a concern, but I figure we're talking Three Kingdoms or something.

V for Vegas posted:

"Crusader Kings II hit one million sold copies in September! That is amazing! Thank you so much to all of you who've bought and supported the game over the years!"

:wow:

drat son, this game is not small fry. Congratulations Paradox, I've loved your games since I first discovered HoI2 years ago, but you've really put in the effort to make some highly polished and enjoyable products, and you deserve both the monetary rewards and critical accolades.

Also, oddly enough, the second is my birthday. Will I be gifted with news I like?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Enjoy posted:

This is a really great idea and it's something I'd love to do in-game, considering all the new provinces in that area. Plus, the nationalists will be furious so please make this happen Paradox

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm surprised these people aren't apoplectic over Kaiserreich- Kurdistan can revolt and bring down the Ottoman Empire there, and the genocide and oppression of the Armenians is fully acknowledged.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Just wait till it gets converted to HOI4. It'll be funny to watch, assuming you actually want to watch dudes get made a video game mods instead of playing said mod.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Mister Adequate posted:

I believe it is sold there, but in a modified version where China is always united. I guess they'd have to nerf them a bit or they'd kick Japan out by 1939 every time? Anyway Beijing is really concerned with showing any disunity in China, even historically. I guess you go far enough back and it stops being a concern, but I figure we're talking Three Kingdoms or something.

I wonder whether everything is just united under a big ol' Communist China led by Mao in that version. It would be pretty funny if it was more acceptable to the censors to annex everything to Nationalist China, including Communist China.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

You can form Germany and Italy in EU4. Where exactly is the ahistorical nation-state line drawn?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DStecks posted:

You can form Germany and Italy in EU4. Where exactly is the ahistorical nation-state line drawn?

When it is politically and culturally inconvenient for me to admit that my country's minorities have their own identities.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DStecks posted:

Germany and Italy weren't tribal societies though, but a decision, if your primary culture is Kurdish (which doesn't exist in EUIV right now. has it been shown in AOW?), to form the Kurdistan tag if you have sufficient admin tech or something might make sense.

It should probably be kept in mind though that alot of what is today Turkish Kurdistan should probably be Armenian culture and not Kurdish (they were the largest single ethnic group in much of the area, though Turks+Kurds outnumbered them combined in many cases, until the Turks and Kurds genocided them), though the fact that at the moment Kurdish culture simply does not exist is kind of stupid (I mean it exists in CK2).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 1, 2014

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DStecks posted:

I sort of see "forming" Germany or Italy in EU4 to be more like what historically happened in Spain. Your rulers aren't, at least at first, officially titled the King of Italy or whatever, they just own enough of the region that their realm is referred to by that name unofficially.

That being said, I see no reason why Kurdistan shouldn't exist in EU4.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Kavak posted:

When it is politically and culturally inconvenient for me to admit that my country's minorities have their own identities.

Has anyone on the Paradox forums agitated for a Northern Italy tag yet?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Adequate posted:

drat son, this game is not small fry. Congratulations Paradox, I've loved your games since I first discovered HoI2 years ago, but you've really put in the effort to make some highly polished and enjoyable products, and you deserve both the monetary rewards and critical accolades.

Also, oddly enough, the second is my birthday. Will I be gifted with news I like?

I honestly would have thought CK2 hit the million mark much much earlier, but regardless, yeah that's a huge achievement for Paradox. Cheers!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tomn posted:

They should also rename the "Sicilian" culture to "Africani" while they are at it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Randarkman posted:

It should probably be kept in mind though that alot of what is today Turkish Kurdistan should probably be Armenian culture and not Kurdish (they were the largest single ethnic group in much of the area, though Turks+Kurds outnumbered them combined in many cases, until the Turks and Kurds genocided them), though the fact that at the moment Kurdish culture simply does not exist is kind of stupid (I mean it exists in CK2).
The entire area would probably need a bunch of much smaller provinces to make for a more accurate ethnic representation, given that many of the province cultures might represent only a plurality. Need to have at least 50 provinces stretching from Aleppo to Dagestan.

Tomn posted:

The Italy tag should be limited to everything north of Rome, like it was historically. :colbert:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The entire area would probably need a bunch of much smaller provinces to make for a more accurate ethnic representation, given that many of the province cultures might represent only a plurality. Need to have at least 50 provinces stretching from Aleppo to Dagestan.

They haven't done a Western Asia dev diary yet, I would expect that region as well to receive a makeover for Art of War.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 1, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is why EU4 could really use a system for cultural and religious minorities in provinces, rather than the current all-or-nothing paradigm.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Nonsense, it makes total sense that I can turn Europe and the Middle East greek in the span of 50 years.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DStecks posted:

This is why EU4 could really use a system for cultural and religious minorities in provinces, rather than the current all-or-nothing paradigm.

You could possibly introduce a very stripped down version of Victoria's POP system. Base it on Base Tax as I believe that is what is used as an abstract representation of population in EUIV. For each full Base Tax a province has it gets one POP which has a culture and a religion. Something like that and then you could do stuff with it, such as accepted cultures and tolerated religions contributing less towards unrest, missionaries and cultural conversion only converting one POP at a time and stuff like that.

Don't know how difficult that would be (possibly quite a chore as the game is already made), but as long as you don't do stuff like track their needs, issues and wealth and allow them to move around it shouldn't be that complicated.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Randarkman posted:

It could be divided between the Armenian highlands and the Kurdish areas, considering the provinces aren't going to get any smaller.

Purple is Armenian, Green is Kurdish:

(based off this although it's from 1914)

Mosul should probably be divided though as the red line shows, the south has generally been Arabic while the north has been Kurdish (not to mention the other billion or so minorities that have been there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Paradox I hope you're adding tags for Jamtland and Scania :colbert:

edit: From the pdox newsletter: "If you are a person who likes Paradox Interactive games, you might want to take a mental note of Thursday the second of October."

Victoria 3 ???

Morholt fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 1, 2014

• Locked thread