Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Also Luffy accidentally sent her a bomb hidden in the treasure the Strawhats were given by King Neptune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Petiso posted:

From a Tumblr account that compiles ugly shots from the anime:

I just can't fathom how can they cover even less than a chapter in 20 minutes, I haven't watched a single episode in years but that sounds impossible to watch, do they add filler scenes in every single episode? do they pad every one-panel joke into a several minutes long sequence until you're sick of it?

Isn't there a fan project out there that is condensing episodes by re-editing and combining them? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Either way you know One Piece will get Kai treatment sooner or later. I bet once the series ends the next year you'll see it happen. The show is just so guddamn popular they'll jump right into that. Unfortunately there won't be much for them to do with the early episode but I imagine they'll take the last 800 or so and probably condense them down to 250 or something.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

Can someone remind me when did Luffy pick a fight with Big Mama? Also I forgot, why did Tra-guy want Joker dead, revenge for Cora or is this still up coming stuff?
Back on fishman island when he declared war with her over the denden-mushi at the end of the arc over some candy factory.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Petiso posted:

From a Tumblr account that compiles ugly shots from the anime:

I just can't fathom how can they cover even less than a chapter in 20 minutes, I haven't watched a single episode in years but that sounds impossible to watch, do they add filler scenes in every single episode? do they pad every one-panel joke into a several minutes long sequence until you're sick of it?

The worst kind of filler they add I feel is when they extend fight scenes to make it feel more "epic" or some bullshit like that and in turn misses the point of those scenes. Luffy shouldn't be having trouble with Hody or Caesar Clown, he should be stomping all over them in a direct fight, which he does in the manga. They're chump change to him and the only way they get around that is by using tricks.

I don't know exactly what changed after Enies Lobby, but it wasn't just the pacing that got worse. I imagine the people who originally worked on the anime left a long time ago, probably somewhere towards the end of Enies Lobby and got replaced by people who don't get what One Piece is about at all, so they fill it with generic anime bullshit because that's all they know.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I keep hoping that One Piece follows every other series and dump the "one episode every week" format and go with 26 episode seasons ala Fairy Tale. It just... that makes so much sense for making a better show, but it's pretty clear by now that Toei's priorities are being as cheap as possible to make money in anyway they can.

Asuron posted:

I don't know exactly what changed after Enies Lobby, but it wasn't just the pacing that got worse. I imagine the people who originally worked on the anime left a long time ago, probably somewhere towards the end of Enies Lobby and got replaced by people who don't get what One Piece is about at all, so they fill it with generic anime bullshit because that's all they know.

I remember reading up on anime productions about a year ago, and one thing that caught my eye is that typically, anime doesn't plan for flashback episodes. You know those hastily edited recaps that usually happen around the midpoint of an average 26 episode series? Yep, not in the cards, totally done at the last minute because something happened behind the scenes that delayed production, either the animation is behind schedule or licensing issues with some song or maybe the director is throwing a hissy fit. Worst case scenario, somebody is getting fired.

With that in mind, think back to Enies Lobby, which had five straight episodes of nothing but flashbacks.

I really wish I could read Japanese solely so I could read the end credits and see who stayed and who got ditched before and after those flashbacks... oh wait they ditched end credits immediately after that, didn't they?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I keep hoping that One Piece follows every other series and dump the "one episode every week" format and go with 26 episode seasons ala Fairy Tale. It just... that makes so much sense for making a better show, but it's pretty clear by now that Toei's priorities are being as cheap as possible to make money in anyway they can.

I remember reading up on anime productions about a year ago, and one thing that caught my eye is that typically, anime doesn't plan for flashback episodes. You know those hastily edited recaps that usually happen around the midpoint of an average 26 episode series? Yep, not in the cards, totally done at the last minute because something happened behind the scenes that delayed production, either the animation is behind schedule or licensing issues with some song or maybe the director is throwing a hissy fit. Worst case scenario, somebody is getting fired.

With that in mind, think back to Enies Lobby, which had five straight episodes of nothing but flashbacks.

I really wish I could read Japanese solely so I could read the end credits and see who stayed and who got ditched before and after those flashbacks... oh wait they ditched end credits immediately after that, didn't they?

Those episodes were planned as they got moved to a new network or radically different timeslot or something. I'm pretty sure they all aired within a week.

I don't think they are ever going to move to a season format for One Piece but I would love it if they did.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I agree on the criticism of the slow 1 chapter per episode pace, but I do still really dig the anime. I don't find it irredeemably awful or unwatchable, I still find it to be really good stuff.

Some chapters are better suited to fill 19 minutes than others, so it works differently week to week. For me it does somehow always feel more full of content and moving along compared to DBZ which was 1 chapter per episode (1.1 chapters per episode overall apparently). Probably because there is just more going on in One Piece chapters.

The way I watch One Piece is marathoning the new episodes once or twice a year, I think it flows best that way. Week to week I don't think it'd work, but it's fun to kick back and watch a couple dozen episodes. At least as far as adaptations go it's pretty faithful, plus great voice work, etc.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One Piece is never going to split up into seasons because it's better to keep it on the air for the constant exposure for merchandise and such. Remember, a lot of kids are watching it too!

Maybe if they had a huge drop in viewers but it's still fairly popular even during filler arcs.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

It looks like SatansBestBuddy may have been somewhat accurate with his theory. I remembered hearing something about the director changing somewhere around Enies Lobby, so I put on my best internet-detective hat and looked it up. Kônosuke Uda was the director One Piece for episodes 1-278, and then Munehisa Sakai took over (though he is credited from episode 244 along with Uda).

What's significant about him stopping before episode 279?

279 is the first of the crew flashbacks during the Enies Lobby.

It may just be a coincidence (wasn't the anime only like a month behind the manga at this point so they desperately needed to stall for time?), but considering what SatansBestBuddy said about flashback episodes sometimes being used to cover up behind-the-scenes issues, there may have been something else going on. :tinfoil:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I went back and looked and I don't remember now where I remember hearing what I posted up there. You guys are probably right!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Isn't there a fan project out there that is condensing episodes by re-editing and combining them? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Yes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

My hero :swoon:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Truga posted:

I don't have issues with this, because I just skip the dumb parts. :shrug:

Yeah, me too, and what remains after skipping the OP and re-cap is maybe like 2 minutes of scenes worth watching at regular speed. loving hell.

Godspeed, my good people.

re: last episode

Is there finally going to be a fight worth watching? Or is the Next Big Fight still some episodes away?

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 23, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How are these? This sort of thing is slipper slope since it can devolve into personal taste rather than adhering to what was shown in the manga then finding good places to edit the episode without it looking janky.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Jimbot posted:

How are these? This sort of thing is slipper slope since it can devolve into personal taste rather than adhering to what was shown in the manga then finding good places to edit the episode without it looking janky.

Generally speaking it's been really good. They pretty strictly stick to what was in the manga, pretty much the only time you see something that wasn't is when the actual cut would be too awkward or spots where the anime version is dramatically different. I'd say it's probably the best you're gonna get unless a One Piece Kai situation happens, which would be decades from now at this pace...

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
The Dressrosa arc of the manga has probably been the densest arc to date in terms of characters and storylines. In theory, the pacing of the anime should not be as bad in this arc simply because there's so much going on in every chapter. In practice, it's more likely that they'll just slow things down even more to compensate.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I still have hope they'll start packing more in episodes sometime in the future. Naruto started doing this and it was pretty great, although after a while they started off setting it with massive filler arcs. Maybe if we treat the filler arcs as the "offseason" it'll be alright!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

I still have hope they'll start packing more in episodes sometime in the future. Naruto started doing this and it was pretty great, although after a while they started off setting it with massive filler arcs. Maybe if we treat the filler arcs as the "offseason" it'll be alright!

I would absolutely start watching again if they did this!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I'm all for more filler arcs. As one of the longest running series ever, I'd hate it if they started doing seasons, just do filler arcs. I find them usually to be pretty watchable. They had so many perfect opportunities before they got bogged down in the current arc; the episodic nature of going from island to island gives them so many chances. At least they can do some Luffy in the past stuff I guess.

I'm going to be really disappointed if they never fill in what happened during the timeskip. I figured it was flashback fodder since flashbacks are how anime characters gain power, and they ran out of reasonable flashback timespan between being born and joining the crew for all the characters.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I'm all for more filler arcs. As one of the longest running series ever, I'd hate it if they started doing seasons, just do filler arcs. I find them usually to be pretty watchable. They had so many perfect opportunities before they got bogged down in the current arc; the episodic nature of going from island to island gives them so many chances. At least they can do some Luffy in the past stuff I guess.

I'm going to be really disappointed if they never fill in what happened during the timeskip. I figured it was flashback fodder since flashbacks are how anime characters gain power, and they ran out of reasonable flashback timespan between being born and joining the crew for all the characters.

They did show some of what happened in the timeskip for the crew and recently released an OVA with Luffy doing stuff during the timeskip.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The main reason why timeskip filler won't be that likely is that in the case of Zoro, Robin, and maybe Frankie, where they were is too story-significant to be done as filler, since more likely than not, stuff they did or learned will likely come up as plot points in the future.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The reveal this week made me super happy.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I don't want for the flashbacks to be filler. I guess did mention it in the same post calling for filler though. I just hope they happen, preferably NOT as filler.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I always found it really bizarre that cover stories from the manga rated lower than filler arcs when they tried using that as a way to pad out time. A lot of them have turned out to be integral lead-ins to actual story points, so there's times where the lack of cover story coverage in the anime is hurting the understanding of the plot for anime-only viewers. If/when Enel eventually comes back they'll have to do a lot of explaining.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I'm so bad that Enel (Manga cover pages spoiler I guess)actually flew to the loving moon and they never did it in the show.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Maybe I just didnt notice before, but they changed the opening to include the family executives.

~Senor Pink~ :allears:

KoB fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 5, 2014

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I just realized that the people who organized the tournament probably put Rebecca in block D so that even if she won, she'd be the least rested competitor for the finals.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Ep 666 was a bit random. A few details seem to be missing, Luffy getting out even though nobody can leave!!!, Rebecca winning because Cavendish has an alter ego who can kill instantly while he sleeps, Sabo appearing and taking over as Lucy with nothing more than Luffy crying hysterically for a while after. We didnt even get to see his face. Guess who it is! Nah change angel, Guess who it is! Nah change angel. Hopefully some quick flashbacks? I dont know odd episode.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Suspicious Lump posted:

Ep 666 was a bit random. A few details seem to be missing, Luffy getting out even though nobody can leave!!!, Rebecca winning because Cavendish has an alter ego who can kill instantly while he sleeps, Sabo appearing and taking over as Lucy with nothing more than Luffy crying hysterically for a while after. We didnt even get to see his face. Guess who it is! Nah change angel, Guess who it is! Nah change angel. Hopefully some quick flashbacks? I dont know odd episode.

It was like that in the manga, too. Bellami tells Luffy that he's going to leave the coliseum, and if someone happens to follow him out, then that's none of his business. You never actually see him leave.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yeah, Oda teased the manga readers too for a whole bunch of chapters before actually showing his face. It'll be several episodes still.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

TheEye posted:

Yeah, Oda teased the manga readers too for a whole bunch of chapters before actually showing his face. It'll be several episodes still.
Is there a good reason though? Or just silly teasing.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Suspicious Lump posted:

Oda would quit the Manga game if he wasn't able to tease his audience.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

To have a more dramatic entrance for the "reveal."

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
:psyduck: It makes no sense. We know who the gently caress it is, we saw him meeting Luffy and even the loving hat. What would have been better if Luffy is crying uncontrollably (like he is) and at the same time walking out into the ring with a later flash back as soon as he is revealed.

Also I hope he has made skills because seriously even Luffy would have had trouble with some of the contestants.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
It was a bit more mysterious in the manga, since they don't show his head at all there. I mean, yeah, it was obvious who he was still, but it didn't feel like as much of a tease.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Suspicious Lump posted:

:psyduck: It makes no sense. We know who the gently caress it is, we saw him meeting Luffy and even the loving hat. What would have been better if Luffy is crying uncontrollably (like he is) and at the same time walking out into the ring with a later flash back as soon as he is revealed.

Also I hope he has made skills because seriously even Luffy would have had trouble with some of the contestants.

Pretty sure he showed the sake cups in the manga too though, so yeah it was obvious. In the manga thread we were complaining a bit about it too. It'll come soon enough though.

As for his skills... well, prepare yourself for some awesomeness.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is the anime execution more badly done by Toei in World Trigger, or here?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Is the anime execution more badly done by Toei in World Trigger, or here?

I'd say World Trigger loses by default by virtue of having some of the worst animation I've seen in a TV anime in a longass time.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Srice posted:

I'd say World Trigger loses by default by virtue of having some of the worst animation I've seen in a TV anime in a longass time.

It takes a special kind of talent to create a 2014 anime that looks like it was made in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dang that is p rude to 80s anime.