Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well, he's gonna be writing Sasuke's Sharingan Legend, so he's halfway there already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Flytrap posted:

Well, TenTen's personality (what little we've seen) is pretty much directly lifted from SD, so yeah I'd say it's likely.

Speaking of TT, whatever happened to those sealing tools?

She's female and she's TenTen, so she's the ultimate in useless Naruto characters.
At least Hinata getting almost murdered constantly drives Naruto to plot device things.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hinata also punched Naruto's shoulder back into place, making Sakura even MORE obsolete. She can also turn her hands into laser wolves, which is a pretty great bonus.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If only the Laser Lions did anything other than look cool.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
They do, but off-panel. Something Tenten can certainly commiserate with.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The difference being Tenten is defeated off-panel. her fight in the Chunin exams was literally one panel of her unconscious on top of Temari's fan. Poor girl doesn't even get off screen victories.

Speaking of which, for nostalgia's sake I went back at the Chunin and rescue Sasuke arcs. Hinata vs Neji, Garra and Rock Lee, Rock Lee and Gaara vs the Bone Guy, Choji vs the other fat guy, Shikamaru vs Temari. The fights/arcs in this series used to be really good. What happened?

Edit: It also bothers me, how in a lot of Naruto's early fighs he won them through ingenuity and hard work. Yeah he got infinite ammo from the Fox, but the series made it very clear that Naruto was able to make progress only by working really really hard and using clever and unorthodox means to beat those who were just 'better' because they were born perfect angels like Neji and Sasuke. But now as it turns out, 'lol nope you were ninja karate Jesus and son of the President this whole time.' It kind of retro-activity ruins the whole 'hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard' theme Kishy was going for.

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 1, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kishimoto is good at writing nitty gritty fights and really good at writing medium scale fights. But the big world defining stuff rapidly goes into the same territory as ghost goku, ie blank space odyssey, with flat background and meaningless attacks that fly off into nowhere or do nothing.

Also I feel like attacks were once quite creative, and while some of the more recent stuff is still cool, he hasn't been firing on all cylinders. The sharigan especially kinda peaked halfway through part 2 and has gone kinda nowhere since.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

It also bothers me, how in a lot of Naruto's early fights he won them through ingenuity and hard work. Yeah he got infinite ammo from the Fox, but the series made it very clear that Naruto was able to make progress only by working really really hard and using clever and unorthodox means to beat those who were just 'better' because they were born perfect angels like Neji and Sasuke. But now as it turns out, 'lol nope you were ninja karate Jesus and son of the President this whole time.' It kind of retro-activity ruins the whole 'hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard' theme Kishy was going for.

This is one of the things about Naruto that has bothered me the most.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I miss when naruto was about ninjas and not ninja-wizard-goku-jesus's

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Shukaro posted:

I miss when naruto was about ninjas and not ninja-wizard-goku-jesus's

Let's be honest here- it was always about wizard gokus. The very first chapter involves a child gaining the ability to create physical duplicates of himself.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The difference being Tenten is defeated off-panel. her fight in the Chunin exams was literally one panel of her unconscious on top of Temari's fan. Poor girl doesn't even get off screen victories.

Speaking of which, for nostalgia's sake I went back at the Chunin and rescue Sasuke arcs. Hinata vs Neji, Garra and Rock Lee, Rock Lee and Gaara vs the Bone Guy, Choji vs the other fat guy, Shikamaru vs Temari. The fights/arcs in this series used to be really good. What happened?

Edit: It also bothers me, how in a lot of Naruto's early fighs he won them through ingenuity and hard work. Yeah he got infinite ammo from the Fox, but the series made it very clear that Naruto was able to make progress only by working really really hard and using clever and unorthodox means to beat those who were just 'better' because they were born perfect angels like Neji and Sasuke. But now as it turns out, 'lol nope you were ninja karate Jesus and son of the President this whole time.' It kind of retro-activity ruins the whole 'hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard' theme Kishy was going for.

There is still a bunch of ingenuity and hard work, it's just not promoted as much, like Naruto still uses his various clone tricks, they just aren't treated as OMG NARUTO IS USING HIS INGENUITY AND HARD WORK AND poo poo, and more like oh, Naruto used a Clone to feint an attack and then he continued on not dwelling on it.

Naruto was always superior to every one else his only problem was that he was literally too good and couldn't precisely control his power, once he got control, it was pretty obvious he was going to just instantly be better than everyone as that was the only thing limiting him in the first place.

Kishi never agreed with that hard work beats talent, Like Gaara beat the poo poo out of Rock Lee as a Jinchuriki , And Rock Lee lost to Kimimaro another bloodline user having to be saved by Gaara. That was Lee's motto, and he was proven wrong throughout all of Part one. Naruto was speaking to Neji more about his destiny and how he didn't have to just die for the main branch(Oops, Turns out he just died for the main branch)

Meanwhile Sasuke was able to copy lee's movement and train to gain his speed he spent his life getting in like a month. Also Neji who Lee was talking about literally worked probably just as hard as Lee, as he had to self teach himself all of the Hyuuga ultimate Techs as he was a branch member and not getting trained by anyone in the family.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Technically nobody beat Kimimaro other than his tubercolosis, but your point is still true.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Dexo posted:

Kishi never agreed with that hard work beats talent.

8 gates guy begs to differ.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Crunkjuice posted:

and now he is dead and will never be able to use his legs again.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crunkjuice posted:

Don't forget booze!

oknope posted:

and now he is dead and will never be able to use his legs again.
Nah, Ninja Jesus (Neezus?) healed Gai with his magical Maguffin powers.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The thing about hard work beating talent is that it really only works if you assume the talented guy doesn't also work his rear end off. There was a chapter in Eyeshield 21 that explicitly dealt with that: How are ordinary people supposed to stack up to geniuses when the geniuses work just as hard as they do and have talent as well?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

AnonSpore posted:

There was a chapter in Eyeshield 21 that explicitly dealt with that: How are ordinary people supposed to stack up to geniuses when the geniuses work just as hard as they do and have the unique muscles only possessed by blacks?

Edited for accuracy. Let's not look up to that subplot.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Hey now, let's not forget that nameless ninjas got the jump on the 1st and 2nd Hokage, killing them despite they being physical gods...somehow.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Hey now, let's not forget that nameless ninjas got the jump on the 1st and 2nd Hokage, killing them despite they being physical gods...somehow.

some days a mook gets lucky.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I thought one of them was poisoned. :confused: Anyway, it was probably Zetsu.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mystic Mongol posted:

Edited for accuracy. Let's not look up to that subplot.

Uhh I was talking about Sakuraba and Shin Seijuurou but okay I guess

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Darth TNT posted:

I thought one of them was poisoned. :confused: Anyway, it was probably Zetsu.

It was never clear how Hashirama died but Tobirama sacrificed himself to save his team from some ninjas.

Kenshi
Sep 29, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It was never clear how Hashirama died but Tobirama sacrificed himself to save his team from some ninjas.

Which is funny because he also had 2 kage level ninjas and an Uchiha with him

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Crunkjuice posted:

Guy had talent, he could use Ninjutsu, he was just God tier at taijutsu.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
New chapter is out. It's okay. To be fair I was bored out of my mind during Sasuke's speech. But I liked the last few pages and I look forward to this fight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kenshi posted:

Which is funny because he also had 2 kage level ninjas and an Uchiha with him

Yeah, but how could they possibly stand against some dudes with kunai? Those things are kind of sharp sometimes!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Hahahaha oh my god mangapanda, way to not even translate.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Wow, that's Choose Your Own Adventure in a manga format. Bold move, Kishimoto-sensei.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

PiedPiper posted:

Wow, that's Choose Your Own Adventure in a manga format. Bold move, Kishimoto-sensei.

Quick, someone photoshop in the 'naruto and sasuke have a debate instead of a fight' dialogue posted earlier in the thread, thanks.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Quick, someone photoshop in the 'naruto and sasuke have a debate instead of a fight' dialogue posted earlier in the thread, thanks.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's perfect.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

'We're pretty good pals' gently caress off, Naruto. Just... gently caress off.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Replace the actual chapter with this please.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It occurs to me that at some point along this series, Itachi became The Boss and this manga is trying to become MGS3. :stare:

desshar
Jun 4, 2011
^ And yet, the manga is no where near as entertaining as MGS3. I mean losing out to Kojima in terms of writing is pretty bad.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Darth TNT posted:

New chapter is out. It's okay. To be fair I was bored out of my mind during Sasuke's speech. But I liked the last few pages and I look forward to this fight.

Goddammit stop posting that without also posting a link to it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I think Kishimoto has watched Code Geass recently.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Sasuke's been watching too many Nolan Batman movies.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am surprised that Sasuke's motivations are being acknowledged as as dumb as they are. And that he's being portrayed as utterly deluded.

The redemption is gonna feel so half-assed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

uXs posted:

Goddammit stop posting that without also posting a link to it.

Last time I posted a link to Mangareader and I got yelled at as well. :ohdear:
You have your own resource, just move on over to the address bar and type. :)

• Locked thread