Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Alright, I'm trying to wrap my head around att next and our plan in general.

My wife and I are on the same att account: FamilyTalk Nation 700 with Rollover.

We originally got this and were grandfathered in to unlimited data, but since we both have iphones, I'm pretty sure that's probably gone now.

Anyways, she just used her two year contract to upgrade to the iphone 6. I'm eligible for the 2 year upgrade next September and currently have an iphone 5s. The problem with my phone is the screen- I cracked it, paid $100 for a local place to fix it, and the face detection sensor doesn't work that well so I'm constantly hitting buttons with my face while on the phone and either putting people on hold, muting them, or banging numbers in their ear. It's really annoying.

So, could we possibly save money by going with Next? Right now we pay about 155/month.

For data usage, I average about 3gb/month and my wife averages about 2gb/month. For talking, I average 500minutes/month and she's at 900/month, but it seems we pay for Mobile to any mobile so the only thing we should be using for minutes is mobile to landline, which she calls her grandma, but that's really it. I can't find a way on AT&T's website to see just how many chargeable minutes we're using.

Anyways, would att next be a viable option perhaps? Or would it not matter in this case since she just upgraded? I'm trying to think of a way to get a new phone for me while also changing our plan to potentially save some cash.

Here's what our billing looks like:

Download the MyATT app for better mins and data tracking.

The only thing Next will do for you is make it easier to pay for a phone outright since it just gets paid off over 24 months. And it'll be tight on what plan is cheaper for you.

Option A. Keep plan.
$160 for plan. Discount goes off of $70, $30 data plan and $30 data plan. Every two years you get $450 off a phone, anything in between you have to buy a phone outright, get it repaired, whatever.

I'm not recommending the partial upgrade (it's an upgrade but adds $250, so a $200 phone is $450) because it's just better to buy outright and use the upgrade next year.

Option B: go to new plan. 10GB mobile share. If you did this option this assumes you switch her contract to a Next plan, which you could do.

Plan is $130 a month, discount goes off of base plan which is the $100 part. You buy all phones outright, no more phone discounts.

Edit: your discount is 15%. So let's sum it up better:
Old plan: monthly $160 - $19.50 discount. So $140 a month.

New plan: $130 a month, $15 discount. So $115 a month.

You would save $25 a month on the bill, but also lose phone subsidies. That's about $20 a month a line IF you both always upgrade after two years. So the old plan makes sense if you buy phones every two years, the new plan would save you money if you kept the phones say, 2.5 years or longer.

You should probably stick with your plan, and unfortunately with either plan you're looking at buying a phone outright for yourself, either on next or up front.

Edit: hey, I managed to survive another iPhone launch. Had less customer meltdowns than I thought I would too.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Duckman2008 posted:

The only thing Next will do for you is make it easier to pay for a phone outright since it just gets paid off over 24 months. And it'll be tight on what plan is cheaper for you.

Option A. Keep plan.
$160 for plan. Discount goes off of $70, $30 data plan and $30 data plan. Every two years you get $450 off a phone, anything in between you have to buy a phone outright, get it repaired, whatever.

I'm not recommending the partial upgrade (it's an upgrade but adds $250, so a $200 phone is $450) because it's just better to buy outright and use the upgrade next year.

Option B: go to new plan. 10GB mobile share.
Plan is $130 a month, discount goes off of base plan which is the $100 part. You buy all phones outright, no more phone discounts.

Gotcha...so we can pay $160/month and then pay about $200 each time we go for a phone, so every year (Since my wife and I upgrade each year separate from each other) our total cost is:
160*12+200=2120

Or with plan B we pay 130 a month+ however much our phone costs, correct?
So, for the first year, we would pay 130*12=1560 in addition to whatever I pay for my phone in monthly costs, yeah? So if it's an extra $30/month for an iphone 6 for me, than that's an extra $360 for the year, which ends up being 1920 plus whatever tax.

So we might save 200 the first year (2120 vs 1920), but then if she jumps on the next train, that's going to be another 360 on top of that, so we get a new phone every year, but we're paying (1560+360+360=2280).

So now we get new phones every single year for an extra $160 total (2280-2180) plus whatever tax I pay on the phones each time...is that correct or am I loving up somewhere?

The main thing I like about doing it every 2 years like we are now is after I sell the old phone on swappa/amazon/whatever, I usually end up paying nothing out of pocket for the new phone, so in reality each year we are only spending (consider we sell our old phone) 160*12=1920. Now to look at it like that, we spend 1920 a year, versus on next (if math is correct) 2280+taxes, so figure 2350, or an extra $430 a year for the luxury of us both getting a new phone every year.

edit: Just saw your edit, that explains things better. We also routinely trade in phones at every iphone launch, so right at 2 years each time.

nwin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 29, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
AT&T Next is a better deal if you're doing these gigantic family share plans and need to get multiple smartphones per househould, but for an average single line user the price differential over two years is, well, not there. People are more amenable to buying a couple of smartphones for the family if they don't have to put a big down payment at the store. If that fits you, great, go hog wild. But for a single line user, it's a lot cloudier.

Even with the discount, a 10GB Share plan is $115/month (with the cost of the phone on top of that), which is ridiculous for one person with one phone. A 2GB plan is $65 after discount plus the cost of the phone. A 64GB 6 is $31.25 per month for 24 months with Next 18. $96.25 over 24 months is $2,310. Even with a Next 12 plan the cost over two years is still the same; you just get the privilege of upgrading a lot earlier if you want to. Next 18 lets you upgrade a few months early, but if you're beholden to iPhone release schedules, it won't be effective in practice.

If you do a Next 12 plan and upgrade every year, assuming you stay with the same tier of phone and AT&T doesn't raise your rates, you'll have spent $2460 over the course of two years. If you want to spend that extra $150/year to always stay on top, go for it. It's probably less expensive than early upgrade penalties in the past, but I never did that, so I can't tell if it really is a big penalty or not. Granted, if you want a new phone year over year, AT&T Next 12 is the only way to go. But AT&T will still be getting your money, no matter what.

On the other hand, a two year contract is $80 per month for the 2GB Share plan, plus the one-time $40 upgrade fee and the $300 up-front cost for a 64GB iPhone 6. Over the cost of two years, that amounts to about $2260 (not accounting whatever taxes/line fees your state charges). After the two years is up, you can get the "Bring your own phone" discounts just like the Next users do.

But everybody's plan situation is different. I have the 450/month minutes and a grandfathered unlimited data plan (since the original EDGE iPhone) with no texting plan since I basically only use iMessage. I barely use my phone for calling people; I have rollover minutes out the wazoo. I get a 20% AT&T Premier discount through work. My cell phone bill is on average $63-70/month including taxes/fees and depending on if I get any non-iMessage texts. That's regardless of my contract status. With my data usage, I'd have to go to a 6GB plan to avoid overages. I upgraded to a 128GB 6. Even with my discount (which doesn't apply to Next phone payments, AFAIK), my phone bill would be around $119/month (plus taxes and fees). If I stick with my current plan and renew a contract, I pay $440 for my upfront cost plus upgrade fee. Spread that over two years, that's 18.33/month, on top of $63-70/m for service charges. Going Next with those share plans would cost me more money (either in overages or actual plan fees). Since the only way to get the discount on Next is to use those plans...

The TL:DR is you need to do the math and see what's right for you.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah those with the 450/unlimited data plans should never get rid of it or gently caress with it. Ever.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I moved us over to the "15GB is now 30GB" plan (previously on 10GB), what a nice feeling not having to be so concerned with data now. While I would still love to have unlimited with them, 30GB is better than 10GB for minimal cost increase.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah those with the 450/unlimited data plans should never get rid of it or gently caress with it. Ever.

Does next mess with this or something?

I have 450/Unlimited grandfathered account and I switched to Next-12 back in January and I still have unlimited data etc. Only difference is my monthly cost went from around $97 after taxes to $120 factoring the monthly phone cost or whatever.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I moved us over to the "15GB is now 30GB" plan (previously on 10GB), what a nice feeling not having to be so concerned with data now. While I would still love to have unlimited with them, 30GB is better than 10GB for minimal cost increase.

I'm very surprised AT&T would even have a double data promotion like this, although I'd be surprised if it wasn't just a tactic to get people on the 6GB and below plans to move up to bigger data plans.

Is there any throttling on the metered plans?

I'm pretty excited about switching to the 30GB (previously 15GB) plan, currently on the 4GB plan with another person but I'm sick of having to hold back my data usage and I've gone into data overages a few times already, for only $20 more a month I can have peace of mind and actually have enough data to start using mobile hotspot again.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

xilni posted:

I'm very surprised AT&T would even have a double data promotion like this, although I'd be surprised if it wasn't just a tactic to get people on the 6GB and below plans to move up to bigger data plans.

I get what they are doing but there has to be a way of pricing it that isn't so confusing, I was comparing my old 450 minute/4GB data plan with the Mobile Share plans and moving to a 6 GB plan looked like a meh deal but the $10 a month price break on the phone line at the 10GB level and the numbers made a lot more sense.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

xilni posted:

Is there any throttling on the metered plans?

I've not run into any throttling.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Three Olives posted:

I get what they are doing but there has to be a way of pricing it that isn't so confusing, I was comparing my old 450 minute/4GB data plan with the Mobile Share plans and moving to a 6 GB plan looked like a meh deal but the $10 a month price break on the phone line at the 10GB level and the numbers made a lot more sense.

Ya there's a point where you cross over tiers and go from $25 to $15 a device where the math takes an extra step but the plan comparison tool in myATT app was really helpful in this regard from comparison of benefits to an actual side by side breakdown of costs for the current vs new plan.

I liked the app before when I merely used it to track usage but I'm really impressed now.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I've not run into any throttling.

Thank goodness, this seems like something they could have snuck into the fine print to ruin my day (probably is still in there just not used in practice).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Moved to the 30 gig plan as well. Gonna stream and tether like a motherfucker now. Was worth it since I get a 23% FAN.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

hotsauce posted:

Moved to the 30 gig plan as well. Gonna stream and tether like a motherfucker now. Was worth it since I get a 23% FAN.

Same here. I currently have 20% but my wife gets 25% (smaller company by like 100X, not sure why the discount is better), so ill be moving us to her discount this week.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
What exactly happens when you reach your cap? Does your data cut off, or does it charge you a buttload per how much you've gone over?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Raimondo posted:

What exactly happens when you reach your cap? Does your data cut off, or does it charge you a buttload per how much you've gone over?

You keep on going as if nothing had happened but you get an SMS notification from AT&T of the same likes that you get when you're approaching your cap except this one notifies you that you've gone over your cap and that they've added a GB to your plan for $15.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Raimondo posted:

quote:

If usage exceeds data allowance during your billing period, you will be automatically provided 300MB for $20 on the 300MB plan, 500MB for $20 on the 1GB plan, or 1GB for $15 on all other plans.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Three Olives posted:

I will say the little plan comparison widget in the myAT&T app is really good. It gives a total price including all our phones and the corporate discount and our average overage charges for the last 3 months. It really would cost us more for the 6 GB plan then our current 10 GB one.

Edit: I recognize this isn't exactly rocket science but usually the AT&T site ignores discounts entirely.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 29, 2014

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
So what's the deal with this new double data plan promotion? I just switched the wife and I off our old family share 450 / grandfathered unlimited data plans to NEXT 12 10gig/month plan, and now they say you can get 20gig/month for the same price? Is there any way to take advantage of this even though we just switched? We're both still waiting for our new iPhones to arrive, and according to AT&T they won't arrive until mid to late November? Is there anyway to hasten this process? It's loving ridiculous to have to wait over 2 months for new phones when the goddamn Apple stores have them in stock.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Huge_Midget posted:

So what's the deal with this new double data plan promotion? I just switched the wife and I off our old family share 450 / grandfathered unlimited data plans to NEXT 12 10gig/month plan, and now they say you can get 20gig/month for the same price? Is there any way to take advantage of this even though we just switched? We're both still waiting for our new iPhones to arrive, and according to AT&T they won't arrive until mid to late November? Is there anyway to hasten this process? It's loving ridiculous to have to wait over 2 months for new phones when the goddamn Apple stores have them in stock.

Blame Apple. Apple is selling 50% of all iPhone units through their stores and the other 50% is split amongst all the carriers and other retailers.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

So what's the deal with this new double data plan promotion?
Only for the 15 GB / $130 per month and higher plans.

I'm kind of torn, personally. It's a good deal and a limited offer, but we really don't go over 10 GB very often. Usually only if someone forgets to put their phone on wifi at home.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 29, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

smackfu posted:

Only for the 15 GB / $130 per month and higher plans.

I'm kind of torn, personally. It's a good deal and a limited offer, but we really don't go over 10 GB very often. Usually only if someone forgets to put their phone on wifi at home.

This is us too.

Right now I'm thinking that our data usage is only going to go up, not down.

But then again prices are bound to go down in the future as our usage goes up.

Bah, I don't know.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I switched and it's nice. I get 50% off everything, so the 40GB is only $25 more than the 10Gb plan.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Right now my family plan bill is a clusterfuck. I joined Cingular (lol) when the first iPhones came out, and have had unlimited data since. Of course they just crippled the gently caress out of it. There's two other iPhones on my plan, and we share minimal minutes but have no shared data plan. The other two iPhones are pretty light usage, likely never going over 5 GB each. There is also one more dumb phone on the plan, making 4 lines total. I have a pretty decent FAN discount and my bill still hovers around $200 monthly.

Is this new promotion a good time to switch to shared data? I'd been holding off because Unlimited is great, but with this new throttling horseshit it's really no better than the 5 GB plan. Sharing 30 GB sounds fine with me, especially if it's cheaper. I am hesitant to call and figure it out that way, because I've experienced nothing but horrible pain trying to change/fix anything on my AT&T bill.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Do corporate stores have 2014 Moto X's on display to handle?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

pzy posted:

Right now my family plan bill is a clusterfuck. I joined Cingular (lol) when the first iPhones came out, and have had unlimited data since. Of course they just crippled the gently caress out of it. There's two other iPhones on my plan, and we share minimal minutes but have no shared data plan. The other two iPhones are pretty light usage, likely never going over 5 GB each. There is also one more dumb phone on the plan, making 4 lines total. I have a pretty decent FAN discount and my bill still hovers around $200 monthly.

Is this new promotion a good time to switch to shared data? I'd been holding off because Unlimited is great, but with this new throttling horseshit it's really no better than the 5 GB plan. Sharing 30 GB sounds fine with me, especially if it's cheaper. I am hesitant to call and figure it out that way, because I've experienced nothing but horrible pain trying to change/fix anything on my AT&T bill.

Is there a non-anecdotal source for this throttling? I haven't noticed anything on my gf'd unlimited plans.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ScarletBrother posted:

Is there a non-anecdotal source for this throttling? I haven't noticed anything on my gf'd unlimited plans.

From the horse's mouth: http://www.att.com/esupport/datausage.jsp?source=IZDUel1160000000U

quote:

As a result of the AT&T network management process, customers on a 3G or 4G smartphone with an unlimited data plan who have exceeded 3 gigabytes of data in a billing period may experience reduced speeds when using data services at times and in areas that are experiencing network congestion. Customers on a 4G LTE smartphone will experience reduced speeds once their usage in a billing cycle exceeds 5 gigabytes of data. All such customers can still use unlimited data without incurring overage charges, and their speeds will be restored with the start of the next billing cycle.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ScarletBrother posted:

How about ATT.com? Note, this was #1 hit on google after searching "ATT Throttling."

e:f,b

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Do corporate stores have 2014 Moto X's on display to handle?

Yes.

ScarletBrother posted:

Throttling on unlimited is at 3GB for non LTE phones and 5GB for LTE phones. If you haven't been throttled at those levels you have either been very lucky or you just didn't notice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pzy posted:

I can't give you a full comparison without knowing what your actual plan and any potential discount is (around $200 a month doesn't help enough). The new plan is $130 for 30GB of data and $15 a line, so $175 to start. You buy phones outright, so you have to factor in paying $650+ for a phone whenever you next get a phone.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Any idea if the Z3 Compact is going to be available for at&t soon? i'm ready to get rid of verizon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

Any idea if the Z3 Compact is going to be available for at&t soon? i'm ready to get rid of verizon.

No idea, but ATT hasn't carried a Sony phone in a while, so if you want it you may want to buy an unlocked version and just get the cheaper plan to balance it out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Throttling on unlimited is at 3GB for non LTE phones and 5GB for LTE phones. If you haven't been throttled at those levels you have either been very lucky or you just didn't notice.
In this case, wouldn't it make sense for us to switch away from our unlimited plans?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dumb question, we have two family members who want to port their out of state numbers into my family plan (which I will bump up for lol double data) Is that going to be a problem, or does no one really care about area codes anymore? We live in Washington state, numbers are from Alaska, if that matters.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Actually porting from another carrier or just moving existing AT&T lines into your family plan?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Molten Llama posted:

Actually porting from another carrier or just moving existing AT&T lines into your family plan?

Porting from another carrier.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

Dumb question, we have two family members who want to port their out of state numbers into my family plan (which I will bump up for lol double data) Is that going to be a problem, or does no one really care about area codes anymore? We live in Washington state, numbers are from Alaska, if that matters.

On the new plans it does not matter at all.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

On the new plans it does not matter at all.

Yeah? On the old Mobile Share I had an impossible time porting numbers from other regions into our plan. Even just NJ to CT.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

In this case, wouldn't it make sense for us to switch away from our unlimited plans?

I think that is the idea. That's the first thing I thought after reading that they were throttling.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TJChap2840 posted:

I think that is the idea. That's the first thing I thought after reading that they were throttling.
I went back and checked the post where I ran calculations on the current plans, and I'd need to get a 2GB plan to break even: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538927&userid=152397#post434778160

Throttling sucks, but unlimited is hugely cheaper than a 6GB plan.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

I went back and checked the post where I ran calculations on the current plans, and I'd need to get a 2GB plan to break even: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538927&userid=152397#post434778160

Throttling sucks, but unlimited is hugely cheaper than a 6GB plan.

It's not worth the same to all people. With my data usage as it is now I couldn't stand to stay in the throttled range of my old unlimited plan.

Most people won't even come close to using as much as you need to get throttled on an unlimited plan so the plan is perfect for my parents for example. For others cost efficiency is the highest importance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Regarding the throttling: I hit the 5GB soft-cap and get throttle every single month. For browsing (awful app), music streaming (iTunes radio) and directions (maps/waze) it is a non-issue and I've never seen the limited connection be an issue to/from work and home. I have wifi at work so I never "see" the throttle...

...until i try to update an app, download a big-ish attachment/sync goodreader or try to watch a youtube video. Youtube is the worst about it because while they do scale quality based on connection the ads before said video are not scaled at all so they take FOREVER to load if they load at all.