Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

More fun is watching someone's terrified reaction when you play Flip and Rip. I thought it was stupid, then I actually played it. Everyone should try it at least once, especially with a new player.

I played this for the first time on prerelease, and nobody had seen it before. The whole shop watched me tear a windswept heath in half. Bahahaha so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Destroying valuables for kicks has got to be the most over-indulgent thing I've heard of in a good while.

That, and the circle-jerk back-patting that people who do it engage in, as if they've somehow done something noteworthy or requiring of effort or skill.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Veyrall posted:

Destroying valuables for kicks has got to be the most over-indulgent thing I've heard of in a good while.

That, and the circle-jerk back-patting that people who do it engage in, as if they've somehow done something noteworthy or requiring of effort or skill.

Actually, the EV of a game of Flip and Rip is higher than the EV of opening a box, and it's more fun. I hope being all cool and detached from human emotion is working out for you, though.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Let's add "Flip and Rip is stupid and a waste of money" to the M:TG Bingo Sheet, shall we?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
So I finally opened a box tonight with one of my pals, and we got a few things of note:

Only one fetch, but at least it was Polluted Delta
A couple $5-$10 rares, such as Mantis Rider, Bloodsoaked Champion, Siege Rhino, etc
A full play-set of Treasure Cruises, one of which is FOIL! :woop:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
FYI, insanely enjoyable trio of Sundial of the Infinite brews with accompanying videos in the 2-mans by Caleb this week: http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/durdling-with-durward-sundial-of-the-infinite-brewfest/

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I played 3 Purphoros in a Standard deck tonight, I won all my matches but Purphoros was never responsible. He just doesn't do much on his own, and he may be good with other cards in the deck, but he makes it too easy for an opponent to shut me down by answering my other cards.

I run RW Aggro using Purph and Iroas as curve-toppers. Launching the Fleet on my Rabblemaster, its token from last turn, and and Anax and Cyamede with a Purph out is a great feeling.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

I hope being all cool and detached from human emotion is working out for you, though.
Disgust is an emotion.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Let's add "Flip and Rip is stupid and a waste of money" to the M:TG Bingo Sheet, shall we?
So, is the bingo sheet opinions the thread basically disagrees with, or poo poo that just keeps getting retread over and over?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Actually, the EV of a game of Flip and Rip is higher than the EV of opening a box, and it's more fun. I hope being all cool and detached from human emotion is working out for you, though.
Au contraire!
/

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Matt Sperling posted:

6) These Khans of Tarkir Card Names

a. Frontier Bivouac

I was talking about this card after the first KTK draft I did, and I just said “Frontier” and then kind of mumbled a bit, and then said “The tri-land.” Looking up the pronunciation now, it seems there's two ways to go, BIV-OO-ACK and BIV-WACK. I had no chance.

"I fail at English and it's Wizard's fault so I'll bitch about it!" :v:

I love this guy, he's like Travis Woo - you keep thinking he'll somehow grow a dignity somewhere in those posts, but he always fails to do so!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Veyrall posted:

So, is the bingo sheet opinions the thread basically disagrees with, or poo poo that just keeps getting retread over and over?

Yes.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

MiddleEastBeast posted:

FYI, insanely enjoyable trio of Sundial of the Infinite brews with accompanying videos in the 2-mans by Caleb this week: http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/durdling-with-durward-sundial-of-the-infinite-brewfest/

Watched a bunch of this (up to the 2nd version of the deck). Weird brews are probably the best part of magic.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Jenx posted:

I love this guy, he's like Travis Woo - you keep thinking he'll somehow grow a dignity somewhere in those posts, but he always fails to do so!

I dunno, I think i'm with Sperling on this one. It's a cool name, but it's not really the sort of thing a mental 13-year-old (like Sperling!) would be familiar with. Sometimes you gotta give up the cool to make sure people know what the gently caress the card is.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you're 13 and play MTG and aren't familiar with Bivouac re: Jawbreaker then I don't even know, man. Flip or rip your LIFE.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Niton posted:

I dunno, I think i'm with Sperling on this one. It's a cool name, but it's not really the sort of thing a mental 13-year-old (like Sperling!) would be familiar with. Sometimes you gotta give up the cool to make sure people know what the gently caress the card is.

On the other hand, they finally printed a card with "Haruspex" in its name and I pretty much exploded with joy when I saw it. I guess that's easier to pronounce though.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

If you're 13 and play MTG and aren't familiar with Bivouac re: Jawbreaker then I don't even know, man. Flip or rip your LIFE.

dude, if a kid makes the connection between an uncommon tri-land and a dumb punk band that broke up before he was a sperm, I would concede out of fear

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
On the list of sins a Magic card can commit, making people spend thirty seconds on their phone Googling an unfamiliar word is way, way, way down at the bottom.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
what do you guys think the value of prerelease promos of playable cards will settle at?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

No, Wizards! Don't make me learn new words! :ohdear:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
What makes it doubly better is that earlier in the article he complains about Ć being used in magic cards and why can't we just have cards all in English....and then proceeds to bitch about not knowing what a word in English means.

I dunno, maybe we should try replacing the names of magic cards with pictures of puppies and flowers, so they could be more easily understood?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Does Sperling not remember Phthisis, a word so obscure that Chrome is giving it the squiggly red underline?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm certain I picked up a few good vocabulary words in my earlier days of Magic, so gently caress that fool. You could probably figure out the general meaning of "bivouac" from looking at the card's flavor text and art, not to mention what it does. Contextual clues people!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

InterrupterJones posted:

So I finally opened a box tonight with one of my pals, and we got a few things of note:

Only one fetch, but at least it was Polluted Delta
A couple $5-$10 rares, such as Mantis Rider, Bloodsoaked Champion, Siege Rhino, etc
A full play-set of Treasure Cruises, one of which is FOIL! :woop:

Get rid of all of that ASAP. You will be really sad in a few months when all those 5-10 rares are 1-3 and foil treasure cruise is 6-9.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My one box of Khans was Russian and I pulled 5 fetches out of it including a foil Flooded Strand. :smug:

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
My wife and I ended up buying a box because gambling is fun from time to time. Ended up pulling 7 fetches including a foil Flooded Strand and a Sarkhan which someone wants to trade a bunch of fetches for. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be taking that trade.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

My wife and I ended up buying a box because gambling is fun from time to time. Ended up pulling 7 fetches including a foil Flooded Strand and a Sarkhan which someone wants to trade a bunch of fetches for. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be taking that trade.

Just FYI, that is an insanely high number of fetches to pull from one box.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

If you get an offer for more than 2 fetches for Sarkhan take it. That trade is going to be crazy in your favor down the road.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elyv posted:

Does Sperling not remember Phthisis, a word so obscure that Chrome is giving it the squiggly red underline?
To be fair, Chrome starts with roughly two dozen words in its dictionary.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Elyv posted:

I remember the CFB crew stumbling over that one during Modern Masters drafts.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Zero_Grade posted:

I swear everyone who does videos for CFB is subject to a style guide that makes them all pronounce Pithing Needle wrong.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Anyone know a store that sells magic singles in the NYC area? Putting together a deck for FNM and need some cards (mostly uncommons and commons, a few rares). I can't think of any off the top of my head that have singles.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

My one box of Khans was Russian and I pulled 5 fetches out of it including a foil Flooded Strand. :smug:

How much did you pay? They are still ridiculous on ebay...

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

mcmagic posted:

How much did you pay? They are still ridiculous on ebay...

Shop owners are allowed to order foreign boxes as long as they are in stock from Wizards and whatever distributor they go through so I ended up with a Russian and Korean box for $110 + tax each last week. Gave the Russian to my friend but we did not pull anything nearly as insane as the flooded strand guy.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
All these gambling stories make me want to buy an Italian box from eBay if I can find it, since I have a hard time finding where to buy Italian singles. I know it's wrong but I'm tempted and it'll be my only way to get Italian product as far as I know.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jenx posted:

I never before realized there might be someone out there who was actually glad that so many cards are named Factionian Nounverber.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

I'm not ashamed at all to admit that when the card first came out in Time Spiral, I had no idea how to pronounce it or even that it is a real word.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Jenx posted:

I love that Travis Woo is just becoming a go-to name for any criticism of another player, even if it doesn't fit.

"Oh wow that guy murdered his entire playtesting group for their fetchlands? Just like Travis Woo!"

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

bhsman posted:

"Oh wow that guy murdered his entire playtesting group for their fetchlands? Just like Travis Woo!"

Woo Brews: Mt. Dew Kickstart and cyanide.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would be surprised if it wasn't him. I can imagine him saying the brains make you smarter and healthier as he tears into LSV's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
This leads me to wonder: which MTG player would be the least surprising murderer? My money's on Conley Woods.

• Locked thread