Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Thanks, lots of good tips in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Morholt posted:

Paradox I hope you're adding tags for Jamtland and Scania :colbert:

edit: From the pdox newsletter: "If you are a person who likes Paradox Interactive games, you might want to take a mental note of Thursday the second of October."

Victoria 3 ???

I wish, but it's Paradox Interactive, not Development Studio. Unless they specifically say PDS, I'd assume they're just publishing it. I'm not expecting V3 till after HoI4 comes out.

e: New AoW dev diary by Wiz up. I think the new client state thing will be quite cool, anything that makes states more dynamic is good in my opinion. I just wonder if the AI will make any use of them.

Magissima fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 1, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Lord Windy posted:

Nonsense, it makes total sense that I can turn Europe and the Middle East greek in the span of 50 years.

Even if you spent the entirety of your diplo point income for fifty years, I kind of really doubt you'd be able to convert the entirety of Europe and the Middle East to any culture over 50 years. I'm not even sure if you could do, say, France.

I'm honestly curious: do the cultural-conversion complainers really do very much cultural conversion? I certainly don't: it's too expensive, and for too little gain!

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm honestly curious: do the cultural-conversion complainers really do very much cultural conversion? I certainly don't: it's too expensive, and for too little gain!

The culture change button is mainly for a more thorough rubbing of your nationalist boner as you build a greater *Player's Home Nation*, full of the superior *Player's nationality* race.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 1, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

The AI does a lot of cultural conversion though, even on provinces with accepted cultures.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

PleasingFungus posted:

Even if you spent the entirety of your diplo point income for fifty years, I kind of really doubt you'd be able to convert the entirety of Europe and the Middle East to any culture over 50 years. I'm not even sure if you could do, say, France.

I sometimes use it when I don't feel like there's any significant challenges left and the cultural mapmode has become a bit of an eyesore for whatever reason. Cultural borders deserve to be pretty borders too!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

PleasingFungus posted:

It's very easy to end up with an overabundance of DIP points, at which point you might as well spend it converting non-accepted culture provinces. I'm not entirely sure if there's any significant income/manpower gain to be made, but it's certainly nice no longer having to deal with nationalist/patriot rebels.

That said,

Lord Windy posted:

Nonsense, it makes total sense that I can turn Europe and the Middle East greek in the span of 50 years.
Culture conversion in EU4 is less about changing the cultural makeup of the bulk of the population of the province and more about setting up local administrators of your culture instead of locals.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

DStecks posted:

This is why EU4 could really use a system for cultural and religious minorities in provinces, rather than the current all-or-nothing paradigm.

Randarkman posted:

You could possibly introduce a very stripped down version of Victoria's POP system. Base it on Base Tax as I believe that is what is used as an abstract representation of population in EUIV. For each full Base Tax a province has it gets one POP which has a culture and a religion. Something like that and then you could do stuff with it, such as accepted cultures and tolerated religions contributing less towards unrest, missionaries and cultural conversion only converting one POP at a time and stuff like that.

Don't know how difficult that would be (possibly quite a chore as the game is already made), but as long as you don't do stuff like track their needs, issues and wealth and allow them to move around it shouldn't be that complicated.

Ah, beat me to it! You could have a system where 1 base tax = 1 pop, and every cultural conversion or religious conversion converts one pop. This would give you the ability to do gradual conversion. You don't need to track needs, just have the system know that there's 1 greek pop left in constantinople when the ottomans conquer it or whatnot.

Also you could do colonization of the new world better by having pops randomly emigrate from european countries with high war exhaustion, low stability, or low religious unity :getin:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Woah woah woah, I wasn't trying to suggest anything this complicated. At the end of the day, culture doesn't really affect much else in the game, so a super-complicated system can't be justified. In Victoria a complex system makes sense due to the politics of the era, but in EU4 culture is rarely relevant beyond revolt risk.

I'd imagine the system as each province having a single majority culture, a single "most prominent minority" culture, and an unlimited number of "present but basically irrelevant" cultural enclaves. The minority could play into colonialism in interesting ways, and you could get more refined unrest out of whether the majority or minority culture is the one of the government (i.e. a South Africa situation where the ruling class is a minority throughout the country). I'd even suggest a hard cap on stability if the government's culture isn't the majority in at least half the core provinces.

Such a system also has lots of opportunities for flavour, since you could finally represent groups which were never a majority anywhere in the EU4 timeframe and as such aren't represented in the game (Jews, Roma, etc.).

Dibujante posted:

Also you could do colonization of the new world better by having pops randomly emigrate from european countries with high war exhaustion, low stability, or low religious unity :getin:

This, also.

Randarkman posted:

The AI does a lot of cultural conversion though, even on provinces with accepted cultures.

This strikes me as a thing that you probably shouldn't be able to do. Ultimately, what real-world process is cultural conversion simulating?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

VerdantSquire posted:

The culture change button is mainly for a more thorough rubbing of your nationalist boner as you build a greater *Player's Home Nation*, full of the superior *Player's nationality* race.

Eh, sometimes, but sometimes it's just funny to turn half of Europe Irish or something.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

YF-23 posted:

It's very easy to end up with an overabundance of DIP points, at which point you might as well spend it converting non-accepted culture provinces. I'm not entirely sure if there's any significant income/manpower gain to be made, but it's certainly nice no longer having to deal with nationalist/patriot rebels.

I agree that cultural conversion is pretty much the 'excess DIP sink', but I'd disagree that excess DIP is all that common these days. Now that vassal nations require DIP to integrate, I've found it to be much more valuable, even (especially!) for nations that had very little use for it before, like landlocked HRE states.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Puella Magissima posted:

e: New AoW dev diary by Wiz up. I think the new client state thing will be quite cool, anything that makes states more dynamic is good in my opinion. I just wonder if the AI will make any use of them.

This looks like a re-release of the one from last week.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

SeaTard posted:

This looks like a re-release of the one from last week.

Oh, you're right. I guess I didn't see it before because they didn't put it up on the front page until today for whatever reason.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Puella Magissima posted:

Oh, you're right. I guess I didn't see it before because they didn't put it up on the front page until today for whatever reason.

Yeah, the front page news is nearly always behind by several days.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Adequate posted:

I believe it is sold there, but in a modified version where China is always united. I guess they'd have to nerf them a bit or they'd kick Japan out by 1939 every time? Anyway Beijing is really concerned with showing any disunity in China, even historically. I guess you go far enough back and it stops being a concern, but I figure we're talking Three Kingdoms or something.

HoI2 was banned but I don't think there was ever an attempt for a Chinese release of 3. The government is super protectionist and does everything it can to prevent foreign game companies from dominating the market. They come up with ridiculous stuff all the time just to push companies out.

No one legally buys PC games in China anyways unless it's an MMO that requires it. Seems like a waste of time and money to even bother for a small company like Paradox.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

HoI2 was banned but I don't think there was ever an attempt for a Chinese release of 3. The government is super protectionist and does everything it can to prevent foreign game companies from dominating the market. They come up with ridiculous stuff all the time just to push companies out.

No one legally buys PC games in China anyways unless it's an MMO that requires it. Seems like a waste of time and money to even bother for a small company like Paradox.

I don't think calling Paradox a small company is as accurate as it used to be.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
I think the Basetax = Pops idea is interesting, but it might be a bit complex and not integrate gracefully with EU4s mechanics (at least as they currently stand).

If you where to add a more complicated culture system to EU4 I think it should operate mostly behind the scenes. Each province could simply have a % value for cultures represented in that province. The culture with the highest % is then used as the dominant culture for that province and all extant game mechanics.

Like so:

Constantinople:
Culture: Greek

Then click or mouse-over somewhere and you get a pie-chart or list that shows something like:

Greek [50%]
Turkish [40%]
Bulgarian [10%]

Which isn't really essential for gameplay but could be used for flavor.

Where this matters for gameplay is migration and assimilation. Migration/assimilation mechanics, like trade value and dynasties could be largely relegated to the background and calculated by a few algorithms that compare states and provinces.
For example let's say you're the Russians and you control two Tartar territories, and you haven't gotten Tartar as an accepted culture yet. One province has high autonomy and one province has low autonomy. The Tatars in the low autonomy province are more likely to migrate to the one with higher autonomy or adopt a more Russian culture. As a result the low autonomy province slowly ticks up Russian culture (like 1% per 2 years or something) at the expense of Tatar culture, while the neighbouring province does the reverse. The Tartars are moving to the province where they can more freely be Tartars.

You could have similar systems with (as mentioned before) non-accepted cultures crossing borders into countries where their culture is accepted, or people moving to provinces controlled by countries with humanist ideas. You would also get a flat, low base-growth for your primary culture, representing both assimilation and the movement and settling of merchants, civil servants and soldiers.

You could then have certain events, gov't forms or idea groups tie into this by adding bonuses or penalties to migration/assimilation.

It would have little impact on day-day gameplay, but over decades and centuries you might see provinces (especially on borders) flip culture and religion without arbitrary events.

Culture change could just then be a flat increase in the % of a province's population that is your primary culture. Say, for example, 100 diplo points for 10% or something. Thus, in the aformentioned example, you as the Ottomans could easily convert Constantinople to your primary culture -- while say Athens (10% Turkish, 50% Greek, 40% something else) would be a huge investment.

As I see it now culture conversion is something you mainly use on high basetax or important trade centres, but is otherwise kind of a waste of resources. This would would make that decision a bit more interesting while making the world a bit more dynamic in the long term and without drastically changing the way EU4 basically plays and works.

You could also use almost the exact same mechanics to model the spread of various religions. Instead of converting a province's religion after a set time-frame, a missionary just adds to the growth of your primary religion (automatically stopping once that religion is dominant, but with the option to manually continue if you want to buffer against the province flipping back).

Also implementing this system for religion might allow for mechanics for sending missionaries to other nation's territory. They work the same, they just operate at a penalty and have the potential to be discovered -- giving the nation in question an opinion mallus and maybe a casus belli.

---
e: Of course all of this might still be unnecessary and excessive for EU4, but as far as enhancing culture goes this is how I'd consider doing it.

Pinback fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 2, 2014

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
A simple percentage could only portray religion and culture independently of one another, whereas a simple POP system would represent them both at the same time.

In the colonisation example referred to earlier you'd get Protestant Germans and Irish Catholics moving to America and both being shown as such rather than blended together in a pie chart.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
You could finally explain Constantinople->Istanbul by only having 1 greek pop in Constantinople at game start and having the Ottoman decision add 2 Turkish pops and voila! it is still a poor city that needs to be rebuilt but now you have a real explanation for why the Turks were able to colonize it.

The issue is that we moderns have a tendency to think in terms of demographic inertia - if a place is populated primarily by Greeks, it'll continue to be populated by Greeks. Populations don't just "collapse". But that's because we're spoiled by a relative lack of war and famine.

Let's use an example since I don't like arguing general principles: during the waning years of the Byzantine Empire, the Sultan of the Ottoman Turks re-populated several completely de-populated Greek cities and declared them to be "a gift from Allah" when the Byzantine Emperor got pissy about it. Populations collapse. When a state collapses, its populations can die off with it. War, famine, and general governmental incompetence (seriously? The [i]filoque[i] dispute? Seriously Byzantium?) basically depopulated huge regions of the Byzantine Empire. The Turks often didn't wipe out and replace the inhabitants so much as take over what they abandoned by simply dying out.

tl;dr: you can do byzantium by representing all of its provinces as having a large max base tax but only having a tiny greek population that the turks just swamp with their demographic might :ccb:

e: this post necessitates an emoticon where a penis ejaculates angry Paradox forum posters because that's what the Ottoman Empire ejaculated onto the world stage.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
The true reason why we should model minority cultures and religions in EU4 has nothing to do with EU4 and everything to do with V3.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Dibujante posted:

You could finally explain Constantinople->Istanbul by only having 1 greek pop in Constantinople at game start and having the Ottoman decision add 2 Turkish pops and voila! it is still a poor city that needs to be rebuilt but now you have a real explanation for why the Turks were able to colonize it.

The issue is that we moderns have a tendency to think in terms of demographic inertia - if a place is populated primarily by Greeks, it'll continue to be populated by Greeks. Populations don't just "collapse". But that's because we're spoiled by a relative lack of war and famine.

Let's use an example since I don't like arguing general principles: during the waning years of the Byzantine Empire, the Sultan of the Ottoman Turks re-populated several completely de-populated Greek cities and declared them to be "a gift from Allah" when the Byzantine Emperor got pissy about it. Populations collapse. When a state collapses, its populations can die off with it. War, famine, and general governmental incompetence (seriously? The [i]filoque[i] dispute? Seriously Byzantium?) basically depopulated huge regions of the Byzantine Empire. The Turks often didn't wipe out and replace the inhabitants so much as take over what they abandoned by simply dying out.

tl;dr: you can do byzantium by representing all of its provinces as having a large max base tax but only having a tiny greek population that the turks just swamp with their demographic might :ccb:

e: this post necessitates an emoticon where a penis ejaculates angry Paradox forum posters because that's what the Ottoman Empire ejaculated onto the world stage.

A system for rapidly conquering regions after population collapse would be really cool as a replacement for the current colonisation system

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Dibujante posted:

Constantinople was not majority Turkish until well after the EU4 timeframe though, so making it be that as early as 1453 while also switching the culture system from one that represents local aristocracy/authorities to one that represents the actual culture of the population would make worse historical sense.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beamed posted:

I don't think calling Paradox a small company is as accurate as it used to be.

Yeah, they aren't but AAA game companies like Blizzard are constantly getting screwed by the Chinese government. I probably should have added "relatively" in front of small.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The stream mentioned in the Paradox newsletter starts up in a few minutes. http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

e; it's live

e2; looks like the announcement was just a sale, no game or DLC.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 2, 2014

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I turned on the stream just in time to hear 'I just had sex with my cousin'

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Up to 85% off all Paradox titles on Steam? Why yes I think I will.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
woah since when is steam blue

I still got excited about the sale even though I own every paradox game I want (and lots I only half-want) :[

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

fuf posted:

woah since when is steam blue

I still got excited about the sale even though I own every paradox game I want (and lots I only half-want) :[

It was part of a new UI overhaul, you can also see what games you own when you're looking at a list of games in the store view, so I see if there are any portrait packs I still don't own yet easily without having to click on each DLC and look at its page :v:.

E: Also, as always, the bundles aren't necessarily cheaper than just buying each game separately.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 2, 2014

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I have some spare money lying around, and it would be a shame to pass up a sale like this, so I'm just going to take this as an opportunity to pick up all the graphic pack stuff. They do kinda look nice, and you could probably pick all of them up for less than 20 dollars right now.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 2, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
So with it being super cheap i decided to pull the trigger on darkest hour, is there a good tutorial LP or recommended learning start?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Finally picked up Sons of Abraham, Rajahs of India and Knights of Pen and Paper from that sale. Good times. If the EU4 stuff goes on a deeper sale I might pick those up too.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
So is HoI 3 any good now? I bought it the moment it was released and gave up on it within days. Which is a shame since I've loved almost every game Paradox has made, EU ROME excepted. Now the Steam Bundle has got me intrigued about giving it another chance. Basically my question is this, is the game fun and playable now? Have the expansions fixed the issues that plagued the launch? Is it worth my eleven dollars?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Reset Smith posted:

So is HoI 3 any good now? I bought it the moment it was released and gave up on it within days. Which is a shame since I've loved almost every game Paradox has made, EU ROME excepted. Now the Steam Bundle has got me intrigued about giving it another chance. Basically my question is this, is the game fun and playable now? Have the expansions fixed the issues that plagued the launch? Is it worth my eleven dollars?

Most people say it's not worth it. Hold out for HoI 4, play Darkest Hour in the meantime.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Reset Smith posted:

Nope. It's just not very fun even with all the changes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What's all that different between DH and HOI3? I've dabbled in both, but haven't gone too far into either one.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

COOL CORN posted:

What's all that different between DH and HOI3? I've dabbled in both, but haven't gone too far into either one.

I've never played DH but I'm going to assume it doesn't have you mess with every minor detail that HoI has you do. Although you can just have the AI play for you. :v:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I've never played DH but I'm going to assume it doesn't have you mess with every minor detail that HoI has you do. Although you can just have the AI play for you. :v:

You've got it the other way around, it's HoI3 that lets you automate anything, including the war itself.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

YF-23 posted:

You've got it the other way around, it's HoI3 that lets you automate anything, including the war itself.

That's what I said.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
The most important difference between DH and HoI3 is that DH has Kaiserreich, which is like having an entire other game to play once historical WW2 feels played out.

Speaking of, would people here be interested in reading a Kaiserreich LP? I'm not really qualified to make it a comprehensive tutorial but I'd like to think I'd make a good read out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Chief Savage Man posted:

Speaking of, would people here be interested in reading a Kaiserreich LP? I'm not really qualified to make it a comprehensive tutorial but I'd like to think I'd make a good read out of it.

Considering that I've never even seen it before, sure.

• Locked thread