Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I thought Ermor and Lemuria's dominion worked like magical death radiation that kills everything down to the bedrock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

I thought Ermor and Lemuria's dominion worked like magical death radiation that kills everything down to the bedrock.

I think you can even manipulate how strong the kill-dominion is by either taking growth-scales (pop kill is weaker) or death scales (pop kill is stronger).

There's always some annoying rest left, however. For example, I noticed you have to summon some pop-killing poo poo at the very end to kill off the last small bit of population, or you have 40 guys here, 22 guys there left.

But what I really want to see is some kind of free-spawn nation without the KILLDEATH-nonsense of Ermor and Lemuria (and that other nation I keep forgetting, the undead Pangaea nation), but the same gem-based economy. Relying on gems instead of gold is interesting enough in it's own right, but it's hampered by the fact your nation is automatically bad for everyone else.

So you get those weird situations where you either win unconstested because no-one wants your dead, empty wastelands or you get dogpiled by everyone to prevent you from killing the world. If you like diplomacy and a gem-based economy with free-spawn, tough poo poo.

Someone would think with all those spells to make money out of gems there would be a nice space for some kind of super-magical nation getting fire/earthgems by the ton, but no money for reasons. On the other hand, I've no idea how you could make sure this would be balanced without killing of the population. Maybe start with a hybrid nation first and make sure its cap will always be in a wasteland, surrounded by wastelands. Maybe make your national summons and freespawns only happen in barren, near-empty provinces so you have to ignore provinces with high population/high ressources.

This is mind you, just to prevent a player spamming forts, because if your national units are only summonable/come as free-spawn, then you don't have to spend much money on recruiting, obviously.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

Libluini posted:

I think you can even manipulate how strong the kill-dominion is by either taking growth-scales (pop kill is weaker) or death scales (pop kill is stronger).
There's always some annoying rest left, however. For example, I noticed you have to summon some pop-killing poo poo at the very end to kill off the last small bit of population, or you have 40 guys here, 22 guys there left.
I always wondered why people make a point of killing off everyone in a province with a cash-generating magic site. The site still works even if there's people around, no?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
There are events for Ermor/Lemuria that mention using skeletons and zombies to operate the mines.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

Yep.

Libluini posted:

But what I really want to see is some kind of free-spawn nation without the KILLDEATH-nonsense of Ermor and Lemuria (and that other nation I keep forgetting, the undead Pangaea nation)
Asphodel - LA R'lyeh also has toxic dominion which is Double Hitler grade bad because it sends people insane, something not even immortality or GoH fixes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Libluini posted:

Technically, but it's pissing in the ocean. The scales cap at .6% per month while the killer dominions are something like 15% for Ermor and 5% for everyone else.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Something interesting I just stumbled upon: There are mod commands to manipulate how much gold/ressources/supplies you can get from a province. Combined with the #autoundead-tag someone could at least make a non-lethal undead free-spawn nation with a gems-only economy. Sadly, there seems to be no way to make your dominion spawn non-undead units. Would be fun to have something like a magical dominion spawning fairies and other magical poo poo everywhere.

But the #makemonster-commands brought me a new idea: A summon-nation. No recruitable units, no free-spawn. Just summons. :getin:

jBrereton posted:

Yep.

Asphodel - LA R'lyeh also has toxic dominion which is Double Hitler grade bad because it sends people insane, something not even immortality or GoH fixes.

If Asphodel's dominion doesn't kill people, maybe I'll try it out when some of my currently running games are done.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Technically, but it's pissing in the ocean. The scales cap at .6% per month while the killer dominions are something like 15% for Ermor and 5% for everyone else.

I don't know why it's so high. It could be 8% for Ermor and 4% for the rest, and people still would fear it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

If Asphodel's dominion doesn't kill people, maybe I'll try it out when some of my currently running games are done.

It does but the effect is pretty slow and it takes a few years before you really feel it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Right, it's 1% per candle per turn, which with growth-3 scales means if you keep dominion lowish early instead of instantly making GBS threads out a billion temples everywhere (no matter how tempting that is), you can actually manage it to some extent.

e: also you can have your dominion summon non-undead units, you would "just" have to replace Longdead Velites and so on with something else and render MA Ermor and possibly Sceleria unplayable, or do the same with Lemuria and make its ghosts something else.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 30, 2014

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It does but the effect is pretty slow and it takes a few years before you really feel it.

Uh...I tested Aspohdel's dominion in a SP game, and my cap was down to 15k pop at the beginning of the 2nd year. Try to run asphodel with dom 6 or 7? gently caress if I know. I'm not playing with that low of dom anymore. Not after Iloveu killed me turn 7.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Gaghskull posted:

Uh...I tested Aspohdel's dominion in a SP game, and my cap was down to 15k pop at the beginning of the 2nd year. Try to run asphodel with dom 6 or 7? gently caress if I know. I'm not playing with that low of dom anymore. Not after Iloveu killed me turn 7.

Your cap and immediate area around the cap will collapse sure, but if you don't try to slam out temples everywhere immediately you can maintain other nations' candles on some of your lands and keep an income base going. Ideally you want to be bros with this person(s).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think this tells me I should mod a few test nations and throw up a test game to test them out.

Right now I'm thinking a hybrid spawn/recruit nation for EA, a non-lethal undead free-spawn nation for MA and a pure summon-nation for LA. How does this sound?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Go for it. I'll play in them :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

Go for it. I'll play in them :v:

Good, good. It could take a while, though. On account of me being so lazy modding will take extralong. Also having five running games right now doesn't help, either: I want to have at least three of these games end before I go nuts with test games.

As a teaser, here are some notes I hastily threw together during lunch today: posted:

Lagas -Before the Fall Main: Water, Secondary: Nature, Also: Fire, Astral
Akkad -At the highest power Main: Death, Secondary: Water, Also: Fire, Astral, Nature
Ruins of Akkad – After the Gutian invasion Main: Fire, Secondary: Nature, Also: Water, Astral

History:

EA Lagas becomes a great empire, but oops poo poo happens and they get conquered by Akkad between ages.

MA Akkad is the greatest empire ever, but oops they play around with powers they shouldn't have and disaster strikes.

LA Akkad is basically a few survivors trying to rebuild the old empire out of the ruins left by the last pantokrator. Of course them being magic rebels essentially means no income, no ressources, no supplies -but a lot of summons.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Make Marignon autospawn flagellants.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Flame112 posted:

Make Marignon autospawn flagellants.

If I read the modding manual correctly, this would only work if there were an undead variant of flagellants. But I can try to make a commander with the ability to summon flagellants, the next best thing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gaghskull posted:

Yeah but the problem there isn't insufficient domscore, the problem is the completely bullshit Titan of the Underworld's massive massive stealth and most nations' inability to deal with it.

Even if you took the Dom 10-est awake pretender and built a shitload of priests, they're still basically forcing you to stay at home with it or risk losing the game instantly.

Libluini - just keep in mind there's no way to set income per nation. If you use #poppergold 200, for example, everyone needs twice as much population to produce one pound of gold, not just that specific race.

With that in mind, EA/MA will be the easiest to code, and LA will be frustrating as gently caress - you can do a kinda sorta workaround by giving their 'conventional' forces massive gluttony, resource penalties, and upkeep, but it won't affect any indies they pick up.

Libluini posted:

If I read the modding manual correctly, this would only work if there were an undead variant of flagellants.
I'm pretty sure you can use #autoundead with any unit so long as it's replacing Ermor's. I know for a fact that if you give them 0 popkill, they just spawn Ghouls. I guess you could very kludgily make all Ghouls Flagellants. But that is going to make some Ghoul-summoning spells pretty odd, and gently caress up Scelaria.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 30, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Libluini posted:

Good, good. It could take a while, though. On account of me being so lazy modding will take extralong. Also having five running games right now doesn't help, either: I want to have at least three of these games end before I go nuts with test games.

Another route (at least for the spawn/recruit hybrid) you could consider is recruitable commanders that then freespawn troops under their command, like Pans do.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

Libluini - just keep in mind there's no way to set income per nation. If you use #poppergold 200, for example, everyone needs twice as much population to produce one pound of gold, not just that specific race.

With that in mind, EA/MA will be the easiest to code, and LA will be frustrating as gently caress - you can do a kinda sorta workaround by giving their 'conventional' forces massive gluttony, resource penalties, and upkeep, but it won't affect any indies they pick up.

I'm pretty sure you can use #autoundead with any unit so long as it's replacing Ermor's. I know for a fact that if you give them 0 popkill, they just spawn Ghouls. I guess you could very kludgily make all Ghouls Flagellants. But that is going to make some Ghoul-summoning spells pretty odd, and gently caress up Scelaria.

Oh gently caress, you're right, I somehow read through nation modding into general modding without noticing that giant "chapter 18 general modding" headline. :downs:

But what the hell, I'll find a way around this. Making some random holy priest commander summon flagellants will be the easy part: Just look up the monster number flagellant-units have, make a custom #makemonster-summon line and add that to the commander. If #autoundead just spawns ghouls with 0 popkill (would've been nice by the modding manual to mention this, by the way), I'll just work with custom-summon lists. I've already did this to make a pretender capable of summoning horrors, so I know this works, in principle.

fool_of_sound posted:

Another route (at least for the spawn/recruit hybrid) you could consider is recruitable commanders that then freespawn troops under their command, like Pans do.

If I can get this to work, I'll try to include some in the EA hybrid nation, which is supposed to have at least some recruitable commanders and units. I just have to make sure they are thematically sound, or at least modded to be thematically sound, because apparently this is the only way to get real freespawn into a new nation. The other way would be to mod an existing freespawn nation, but then I'll run the risk of making the freespawn lovely when I reduce the popkill. Also I still have to find enough restrictions to make sure a player can't just spam forts and indies everywhere with all the gold he doesn't need to recruit. Man this is hard. :v:

Edit:

Something I want to test during the next few days: What happens if you add a custom magic site with a negative gold income to a cap? If this works, I may have found a solution to the income-problem.

If that doesn't work, I'll try to make all freespawn units and buildings ludicrously expensive, to prevent players from just going apeshit after they notice they have a shitload of magic gems and free units.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 30, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

But what the hell, I'll find a way around this. Making some random holy priest commander summon flagellants will be the easy part: Just look up the monster number flagellant-units have, make a custom #makemonster-summon line and add that to the commander. If #autoundead just spawns ghouls with 0 popkill (would've been nice by the modding manual to mention this, by the way), I'll just work with custom-summon lists. I've already did this to make a pretender capable of summoning horrors, so I know this works, in principle.
It certainly used to be the case, I'm trying it now and on non-forted provinces it seems to be the case, but it has a weird interaction with castles that it didn't used to. However, that's just a matter of setting MORE THINGS to Flagellants and completely breaking the undead game :v:

(and yes, giving Marignon's priest commanders makemonsterX/summonX with unit #217 is probably the smartest way to do it)

e: here is this loving abysmal mod that breaks almost everything undead in the game for the sake of giving MA Marignon unbalancedly large amounts of Flagellants (but which accurately replicates how annoying to micromanage Ermor is due to them all technically still being diverse units that just happen to be #copystats/#copyspr'd!). Also freespawn Paladins and Friars because hey those Mound Kings and Censors had to turn into something.

Enjoy or don't.

Also has anyone ever seen Longdeads with Greatswords in the wild? They certainly exist and I had to change them, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen one in the flesh by which I mean bones.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 30, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, I still had some time left today:

quote:

EA Lagash
-Well of Eternity-
Description:

Lagash is a magical place of green fields, of rivers and lakes, located in the secret land of Gu-an Eden, the Green at the Border of Heaven. The many kings and queens of Lagash rule by divine right, since their ancestors were appointed by the forgotten goddess Nin-edena in times long forgotten. Magical creatures of water and nature live among the humans who fled from other places to settle this green and promising land. Some humans are born with the gift of Nin-edena and can use elemental magic. They aid the divine monarchs as court wizards and -sorceresses. Now rumors of a new divine have begun to spread and the old ways are changing. The human low-folk is donning arms and the gifted are summoning magic beings to prepare for a great war. A war to see holy Lagash triumph over the unworthy. But the holy land is growing cold and mad prophets preach of doom in the streets of the divine city.

Race: Humans and magical beings, prefers Coldscale +1
Military: Human light infantry, magical creatures
Magic: Water, Nature, some Fire and Astral
Priests: Average, some are heretics

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

what the hell is this
e:
lol

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

jsoh posted:

what the hell is this
e:
lol

Looks like someone wished for Armageddon.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I wonder when Illwinter changed the Armageddon text.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I only lost like 10 guys lol

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I finished a new version of pudmod last night! It has a ton of changes to Serpent Cult Pythium's mage lineup, and some small tweaks to a lot of other stuff, like making Jomon's national units have 10 HP instead of 9.

(you can click the picture to download it, how loving fancy is that)

Complete changelog is located right here. http://pastebin.com/u9A5Bnbh

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

quote:

-Shambler Skin Armour and Robe of the Sea give air breathing to aquatic units.
:vince:

Downloading!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jsoh posted:

what the hell is this
e:
lol

R'lyeh's final solution I expect.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Nuclearmonkee posted:

R'lyeh's final solution I expect.

Wasn't me, honest.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I'm getting quite into this game now. But I'm having a hard time with a couple more things:

When I play against one or two AIs, I can usually roll over them without much trouble regardless of strategy. But when I'm up against 3 or more, I find that fighting on too many fronts wears me really thin and I inevitably lose ground and collapse. I'm not sure how to balance expansion, fortification, and defense, and it seems I never have enough income to cover all the things I need.

I know that's literally what the game is about, but does anyone have any advice for that part of the strategy layer? I usually go and grab provinces until I find a good spot for a castle that doesn't overlap much with my capital, usually on two fronts, then I sit back and fortify with about 10-12 provinces and do some research to get the spells that I want (though this is still really hit-and-miss, I'm relying a lot on evocations because everything else seems really finicky). Then I try and push out to kill someone's capital, concentrating most of my forces there to bring it down, but I lose land around the castle as I siege their capital and my other fronts normally come under threat at this point and I can't survive. Any tips that would help me out, or good LPs to watch that make a nice show of the game?

And I guess the related question is what do you normally do for lategame? What are the various strategies for tipping the scales and bringing your army over the edge? Research until lv8-9 in your favourite school and start dropping big rituals and battle enchantments? Fortify castles, stockpile money/resources and push out with 500 troops? When should you be assaulting capitals, and how do you know what kind of endgame you should play?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You make gigantic doomstacks of summons and boosted mages to take thrones and then you win. Having global enchantments and significant dompush helps as well.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

You make gigantic doomstacks of summons and boosted mages to take thrones and then you win. Having global enchantments and significant dompush helps as well.

Yeah, as soon as you reach a certain treshold of magic, the AI just can't cope with it and gets steamrolled. Especially since the AI is actually incapable of using globals themselves, so sooner or later you'll have all five slots for yourself.

If you want to have a really lame and easy win, play as a deathspawn nation like Lemuria, cast Burden of Time, wait until the AI is dead, the end.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

immolationsex posted:

I always wondered why people make a point of killing off everyone in a province with a cash-generating magic site. The site still works even if there's people around, no?

If I remember correctly, this was useful in dominions 3 since you could overtax a province with a cash generating site for no unrest and bonus income. It's a tad pointless in dominions 4.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Boing posted:

I'm getting quite into this game now. But I'm having a hard time with a couple more things:

When I play against one or two AIs, I can usually roll over them without much trouble regardless of strategy. But when I'm up against 3 or more, I find that fighting on too many fronts wears me really thin and I inevitably lose ground and collapse. I'm not sure how to balance expansion, fortification, and defense, and it seems I never have enough income to cover all the things I need.

I know that's literally what the game is about, but does anyone have any advice for that part of the strategy layer? I usually go and grab provinces until I find a good spot for a castle that doesn't overlap much with my capital, usually on two fronts, then I sit back and fortify with about 10-12 provinces and do some research to get the spells that I want (though this is still really hit-and-miss, I'm relying a lot on evocations because everything else seems really finicky). Then I try and push out to kill someone's capital, concentrating most of my forces there to bring it down, but I lose land around the castle as I siege their capital and my other fronts normally come under threat at this point and I can't survive. Any tips that would help me out, or good LPs to watch that make a nice show of the game?

I believe one of the key ideas to take away is to "never stop expanding." Identify a weak opponent when you hit that 10-12 province mark and go take them out while you research your big spells. This is not a hard-and-fast rule but it's a pretty good idea nonetheless. As for Let's Plays, I found this one to be the easiest to follow: http://lparchive.org/Dominions-3/ Though the perspective is admittedly narrow and some of the information is a bit outdated.

School of magic depends on the nation involved. Evocations are always good, but you might want to try and branch into other paths after identifying key spells that may be useful, depending on what you have access to--for example, anyone with Earth 2 mages can aim for Conjuration 3 for summon earthpower, now you suddenly have earth 3 mages that can cast Maws of the Earth with Alteration 5, or Blade Wind with Evocation 4. Any nation with a Death2 mage can consider Enchantment for the infamous Horde of Skeletons at level 5--you might not believe how effective a group of 5-10 mages all casting Horde of Skeletons over and over can be until you've tried it. Likewise, another easy combo to look for is using Storm (Evoc5) to allow your Air2 mages to cast Summon Storm Power (Conj3) to cast Thunder Strike (Evoc4) in large quantities.

For carrying out war, try to have a handful of war parties rather than one big mega-stack. This will become easier once you learn how to lean on mages more.

Boing posted:

And I guess the related question is what do you normally do for lategame? What are the various strategies for tipping the scales and bringing your army over the edge? Research until lv8-9 in your favourite school and start dropping big rituals and battle enchantments? Fortify castles, stockpile money/resources and push out with 500 troops? When should you be assaulting capitals, and how do you know what kind of endgame you should play?

Global spells are hugely important in multiplayer and are somewhat "overpowered" in single-player because the AI doesn't do much to contest them. Cast something like Vengeful Water and watch how the AI cannot carry out a coherent invasion anymore. Or cast Astral Corruption and start dropping Send Horror on stacks. These options are overkill against the AI really but are viable endgame plans. Throw up The Wrath of God and watch enemy units drop like flies without you having to lift a finger, especially if you have good dominion spread and turmoil. Combine with Foul Air for hilarity. Lots of options there, too many to list really, but I'm throwing out some examples. Did you have a specific nation in mind?

There were some "newbie guides" for nations written a few pages back but I don't think they ever got added to the OP.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Magil Zeal posted:

Global spells are hugely important in multiplayer and are somewhat "overpowered" in single-player because the AI doesn't do much to contest them. Cast something like Vengeful Water and watch how the AI cannot carry out a coherent invasion anymore. Or cast Astral Corruption and start dropping Send Horror on stacks. These options are overkill against the AI really but are viable endgame plans. Throw up The Wrath of God and watch enemy units drop like flies without you having to lift a finger, especially if you have good dominion spread and turmoil. Combine with Foul Air for hilarity. Lots of options there, too many to list really, but I'm throwing out some examples. Did you have a specific nation in mind?

Controlling key globals is another part of why bless strategies can be so strong. Having a dude with the high W to cast Vengeful Waters is super helpful.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

Boing posted:

Well, the AI is unpredictable. Once you get into multiplayer, its rare that you will find yourself in a 3 front war unless you are the biggest dog on the block. Needless to say, if you ever get attacked by 3 of your neighbours at once you have critically failed at diplomacy. Secure good provinces(any high pop province is great, farmlands are almost always worth taking), appease your neighbours and hope you don't get picked on for appearing weak.

Appearing strong can be the difference between life and death. In Sore Losers, Flame112 as Patala looked real weak and I started taking some of his border provinces while he was(from my point of view) losing badly to Man. A turn or two later I saw he wasn't losing so badly after all, and once I saw his doomstack appear out of the fort and shatter the sieging Man army, I agreed to leave him alone as I was busy in a war against Lemuria and didn't want to have my provinces raided, or worse, get sieged if Man had suffered a catastrophic loss. From my point of view he had turned the war around, but I did not have enough scout coverage to see all of Mans troops. (this is why scouts are critically important. Try to get 100% coverage on your closest neighbours)

Turns out he's still losing so I probably didn't have anything to fear and could have grabbed a bunch of provinces for free, but there you can see the merits of diplomacy and at least appearing strong :v:

The Gentleman fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 2, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just as a short update on my mod project, I've finished the easy part (description, lore, flavour text):

quote:

EA Lagash
-Well of Eternity-

Lagash is a magical place of green fields, of rivers and lakes, located in the secret land of Gu-an Eden, the Green at the Border of Heaven. The many kings and queens of Lagash rule by divine right, since their ancestors were appointed by the forgotten goddess Nin-edena in times long forgotten. Magical creatures of water and nature live among the humans who fled from other places to settle this green and promising land. Some humans are born with the gift of Nin-edena and can use elemental magic. They aid the divine monarchs as court wizards and -sorceresses. Now rumors of a new divine being have begun to spread and the old ways are changing. The human low-folk is donning arms and the gifted are summoning magic beings to prepare for a great war. A war to see holy Lagash triumph over the unworthy. But the holy land is growing cold and mad prophets preach of doom in the streets of the divine city.

Race: Humans and magical beings, prefers Coldscale +1
Military: Human light infantry, magical creatures
Magic: Water, Nature, some Fire and Astral
Priests: Average, some are heretics

MA Akkad
-Realm of Power-

Long ago, the city-state of Akkad entered into a great consult with magical beings to gain the power to protect the humans of the city against the many dangers of a world filled with monsters. As time went on, even the holy land of Lagash and its divine city fell under the rule of the now powerful Akkad. A new empire was born and reigned supreme. Humans and magical creatures united under one rule, the rule of the Akkadian emperors. But no dream can last forever and times are changing again. A new god rises and strife runs rampant among an empire unsure of the future. Priests are warring with wizards, sorceresses with priestesses. To fight the magic powers of the gifted, the priestly caste has awoken the power of death itself. This may very well spell the final doom for Akkad.

Race: Humans, undead and magical creatures
Military: Human medium infantry, human light cavalry, magical beings
Magic: Death, Water, Fire, Astral and Nature
Priests: Strong, priests have paths in death

LA Akkad
-The Forgotten Empire-

After the great disaster befell the great empire of Akkad, its people fled or died. The Akkadian doom spread across the lands and even the ancient city of Lagash was destroyed. An age went by, and Akkad was all but forgotten. Now the old pantokrator has disappeared and the seals in the ruins of old Akkad are weakening. Ancient and powerful beings are slowly entering the world again, eager to revive the dream of unity between magic and mortal flesh. Akkad is a broken nation, only a few mad prophets and the ancient order of excavators are still inhabiting the ruins of the old capital. But there is a strange residue of magic in the city. It is said during a calm night you can hear voices whispering something about a dream...

Race: A few humans, a lot of magical creatures and beings
Military: Mostly summons, a few guys with shovels
Magic: Fire, Nature, some Water and Astral
Priests: Average, but insane. Insane enough to be partially immune against otherworldly sources of insanity

Now I can start with the programming part. Also I have to mod quite a few units, sites and spells to make the new nations work, really I expect to have to mod new things practically every step on the way. Well, it's what I wanted. :suicide:

By the way, to make things easier on me I settled on EA and MA being a hybrid of normal/gem economy, while LA will be as purely gem oriented as I can make it. Because of dominion freespawn-issues, only MA Akkad will freespawn ghosts and poo poo all over the place, the other nations will have to do with "only" lots of custom summoning. Also it could be that MA Akkad will only spawn ghouls, but I'll cross that bridge if I get that far.

MA Akkad will be actually the hardest to play in the end, I think. It's a nation that is basically a version of Asphodel with less deadly dominion and stronger death mages.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

Since sunshine finally ended at the tragically early age of 60 turns, here's a new pudmod EA game, goldfish!

http://brainwrinkle.net/games/198

It'll be the first pudmod EA game, so I'm looking forward to seeing how its changes work out.

(you click the picture to download it)

Complete changelog: http://pastebin.com/u9A5Bnbh

Just going to signal boost this, a day or two after it gets to 10 players I'll lock it and start harassing people about pretenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Magil Zeal posted:

As for Let's Plays, I found this one to be the easiest to follow: http://lparchive.org/Dominions-3/ Though the perspective is admittedly narrow and some of the information is a bit outdated.

This is great, thanks! Going through it is helping a lot with insight.

• Locked thread