Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Zaius posted:

Is there anything significant past the rear end in a top hat npc invader with the lance? I'm seriously sick of this guy.

He's the breakout character of DS2 and you should change your tone

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's a really awful argument (grind the rare drop staff, which is the only decent one for a long time anyway, to make it not terrible) and you end it with saying I'm right that sorcery is bad anyway, so good job I guess. Also infused weapons are still garbage against the lion warriors so unless you're using a plain weapon and thus ignoring all the points you've dumped into INT you're still gonna have a bad time. Magic isn't worth the effort.

Dagger +10 one shots them with a SL1 character on a backstab, which you get by walking at their face, then walking back, then rolling to their butt and stabbing them. Or just by getting close and circle strafing them for a while with any character with a good shield. +9 dagger and maybe something less probably one shots them too. Even without this they have to be among the least threatening enemies in the game.

I found the regular staff upgraded to like +6 totally adequate for the old blue lazer blitzkrieg, easiest time for me was with my mage. They even give you a magic infused mace for nothing and magic weapon is easy as pie and Great Magic Weapon is easy as cake (I assume cake is a tiny bit harder than pie) to grab early on. So you do way more damage than any melee guy when you want, most of which can't be blocked, plus you have like 40 casts of cheap soul arrows for the herd and like three or four nukes for the boss. Which can be replenished judiciously but fairly easily with herbs. The shorter lockon distance that magic has in DS2 compared to previous games makes it a tiny bit trickier than it used to be (unless you snipe with the binoculars) but you cast most spells just as fast as any weapon that hits that hard swings, except you can do it from any range, most foes don't have any range attacks and pathing AI often screws them up if there's a pillar or corner around. I mean, it's like having a spear that's 20 meters long and only requires one hand. How are you going to lose?

raton fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

It's quite depressing that they didn't give you something symbolically cool like a restored Ivory King armor set for all that work.

His armor doesn't even go with his crown as it is!

I think his crown is built into his armor.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Best part about the grey phantom Maldron is that since he is not actually an invader you can get invaded by a real player while you are fighting him. I've already managed to invade a few people just as they followed Maldron down into the pit with the Covetous demon.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Maldron is brilliant. Everyone laughs the first time he runs away to heal, plus he's actually an okay opponent. So he's good in the game, plus he's commentary on the game, plus he trolls you like the whole series trolls you so From gets to be meta without breaking tone, which is reminiscent of 5-3 in Demon's. He's the best character in DS2.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Who's Maldron again? I remember the "white" phantom, the chameleon phantom, and the hexer, but no healing phantom. :(

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Azran posted:

Who's Maldron again? I remember the "white" phantom, the chameleon phantom, and the hexer, but no healing phantom. :(

Maldron was the "white" phantom. He's the same guy who invades you in Brume Tower in the giant spiral staircase down to get the Majestic Greatsword.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Maldron the Assassin? He's the guy you fight in Old Iron King DLC, the guy at Brume Tower. He's what all PvPers invaders should aspire to be.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Maldron was the "white" phantom. He's the same guy who invades you in Brume Tower in the giant spiral staircase down to get the Majestic Greatsword.

Oh god. It is literally the same guy. Lance and all. :stare: But yeah, I didn't allow him to heal, stunlocked him to death with the PGS. What does he do if you allow him to?

Or do you mean in the second DLC. :v:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
:catstare: Man, gently caress the Frigid Outskirts. It wouldn't be so bad if the horses didn't spend most of their time prancing around outside of your melee range, forcing you to waste tons of time while more of them spawn rather than make actual progress.

Everything else about the IK was awesome (except for the game's refusal to drop the Retainer Robe, while I'm drowning in Retainer's Short Swords and Ice Rapiers), but I'm just not interested in trying to make that run anymore and the Loyce Greatsword doesn't look like anything unusual enough to make it worthwhile. The shield seems flat out bad.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I think his crown is built into his armor.

Yep I was right.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

I just beat the boss of the Frigid Outskirts

I am very, very displeased with the reward. It's just the boss souls, and from what I can tell, the weapons you can make from those boss souls aren't even interesting!

That just confirms that side area as completely and utterly without merit, to me.

The Loyce Greatsword is quite good. It's a greatsword with a rapier poke for its 2handed r2 and 2handed rolling attack.

Gologle posted:

So, the Loyce knight helms are the Ruin Sentinel's helm. In all likeliness, From just did it that way so people could make the Ruin Sentinel cosplay, but I'd like to say there's a lore reason. That being said, I have no idea what that could mean. The Ivory King was from Forossa, the same place (I think) the iconic character in the DS2 trailers and box art hails from. Maybe that means the Ruin Sentinels are Forossan, or whatever?

There's no lore reason. They're both based on a type of real world helmet, From is re-using the same general aesthetic (additionally, the Loyce and Charred Loyce are equivalent to Silver and Black Knight armors) because that is what Fromsoft does.

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's a really awful argument (grind the rare drop staff, which is the only decent one for a long time anyway, to make it not terrible) and you end it with saying I'm right that sorcery is bad anyway, so good job I guess. Also infused weapons are still garbage against the lion warriors so unless you're using a plain weapon and thus ignoring all the points you've dumped into INT you're still gonna have a bad time. Magic isn't worth the effort.

Are you retarded or something? Magic is good if you know what you're doing, it's bad if you're not, which is pretty much how it's always been. And yeah infused weapons are garbage which is why you have a pure phys weapon.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Sheep-Goats posted:

He's the breakout character of DS2 and you should change your tone

You would think "assassin" is not the best job for a guy in a full suit of armor with a greatshield and a lance. You'd be wrong.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Paracelsus posted:

:catstare: Man, gently caress the Frigid Outskirts. It wouldn't be so bad if the horses didn't spend most of their time prancing around outside of your melee range, forcing you to waste tons of time while more of them spawn rather than make actual progress.

Everything else about the IK was awesome (except for the game's refusal to drop the Retainer Robe, while I'm drowning in Retainer's Short Swords and Ice Rapiers), but I'm just not interested in trying to make that run anymore and the Loyce Greatsword doesn't look like anything unusual enough to make it worthwhile. The shield seems flat out bad.

Get yourself two people. Then, even though you probably won't have that much more success, you can hopefully have more fun.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
This is how I feel right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_DVS_303kQ

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Me too :(

What a trip it's been

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
It works on a lot of levels

Well really only just two

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Genocyber posted:

There's no lore reason. They're both based on a type of real world helmet, From is re-using the same general aesthetic

For reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frog-mouth_helm

Though the real world proportions are a bit different, unless you're making custom armor for someone with severe marfan's syndrome I guess

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I just ran into rear end in a top hat Invader for the second time and he is my new favorite NPC.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

You would think "assassin" is not the best job for a guy in a full suit of armor with a greatshield and a lance. You'd be wrong.
What pants is the PC wearing? Solid Aurous?

e: vvvv The player's character, not the invader. Sorry for not being clear.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 1, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Ravenfood posted:

Aside from the helmet (Alva's helm,) he's wearing the full Royal Swordsman set, Heide Greatlance, and Rebel's Greatshield.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
By the time I decided to unhollow and use the RoP to secure my gathering bloodstain pool, I'd racked up 80,000 souls just killing those drat chaos knights over and over until the boss comes out. :haw:

Boss image

At the very least I feel like I've become a wizz at dodging the knights almost passively. I still feel like I need to ascetic and get the cloranthy ring +2 because no amount of stamina management seems sufficient.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 1, 2014

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Does the Lightning Clutch Ring add additional damage to Sunlight Blade?

Also, does Sacred Oath dispel Sunlight Blade?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Time_pants posted:

Does the Lightning Clutch Ring add additional damage to Sunlight Blade?

Also, does Sacred Oath dispel Sunlight Blade?

Yes and No.

Clutch affects all damage from the element.
Weapon buffs and body buffs are separate and can only overwrite themselves.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Oh god I just realized that there will be two blank spots at the bottom of the bonfire warp list forever. From Software you monsters...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Unless there will be more dlc...

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

We are certainly due for an adventure in a certain land called Verdite, that's for sure.

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine

Tallgeese posted:

Seriously, what is up with that? Where are the Flower Top and Flower Gloves?

Nope, you just have this skirt that goes with nothing.

Warlock Mask and Butterfly Chest. I'm actually glad I finally have pants to match my murderfly outfit.

Also I give this DLC 4/10 because the bosses were stupid easy in comparison to the past two DLC, plus a lot of the loot is lack luster except for the bonefist and ivory short sword. And that loyce soul grind. Terrible rewards for a stupid grind.

Boss #1: Roll into his attacks, murder from underneath just like sinh except with less worry of getting loving demolished.
Boss #2: Find the loving knights then proceed not to get hit by the ivory king at all because all of his attacks are a loving joke compared to Raime, plus you've already killed 1000+ knights with similar moves and range as the adds by this point. Great hammers work wonders at clearing the adds, just spin2win after two or so atttack, maybe use a divine blessing to tank some extra hits while you clear them.
Boss #3: Rush the First cat with a brightbug and sun sword or something else equally devastating, and repeat boss #1 strat once the first ones dead.

Chippita fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 1, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ravenfood posted:

e: vvvv The player's character, not the invader. Sorry for not being clear.

Jester pants.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

The Loyce Greatsword is quite good. It's a greatsword with a rapier poke for its 2handed r2 and 2handed rolling attack.

There's no lore reason. They're both based on a type of real world helmet, From is re-using the same general aesthetic (additionally, the Loyce and Charred Loyce are equivalent to Silver and Black Knight armors) because that is what Fromsoft does.

Are you retarded or something? Magic is good if you know what you're doing, it's bad if you're not, which is pretty much how it's always been. And yeah infused weapons are garbage which is why you have a pure phys weapon.

Its really only offensive magic that sucks now. No reason to use resonant soul over dark orb, which is still better than ghsa, soul spear is eh, lightning spear's not worth it now. Be a spellsword and slap dark weapon on a, well, dark weapon. You do several times more damage faster than projectile spells.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Genocyber posted:

Yeah but you don't really have any way to know what you're doing or if you can do better when it comes to magic. The game doesn't explain exactly what magic does and how your items/stats affect it very well. Granted, you could always just fiddle around with your stats until you figure it out, but it's not like you can do that for long before you run out of souls to spend on stuff or soul vessels to reset your dude.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Man, I am liking this Northwarder set. With it and a crown I look like some sort of hobo king.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Regarding the Loyce Knight/Ruin Sentinel thing, Vendrick's golems seem to take the form of enemies which were used by previous kings. He has those turtle knights that are in Iron Keep for example, as well as Alonne Knights. He presumably either stole some from the ruins of the other kings and reanimated them, or created new ones in the image of other golems he saw.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Sorry if this is still verboten or uncouth, but does anybody have a link to a "How to Make Items Using CE for Dummies"? I really fuckin' love the Fume UGS but I've already used all of my dragon bones and its only at +1.

I only just started Ivory King, so if there are bones all over the place like in the previous DLC maybe I'll just suck it up and do it the old fashioned way, but still.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Inspector_666 posted:

Sorry if this is still verboten or uncouth, but does anybody have a link to a "How to Make Items Using CE for Dummies"? I really fuckin' love the Fume UGS but I've already used all of my dragon bones and its only at +1.

I only just started Ivory King, so if there are bones all over the place like in the previous DLC maybe I'll just suck it up and do it the old fashioned way, but still.

If you want to stay legit, there's a very easy way to farm bones and twinkling titanite in Sunken King, if you're ok with high NG+ level enemies and running/dodging those. It's still effort, but way less than most other places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YsX3hv9H34 (annoying youtuber alert, couldn't fine a non-commented video)

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Inspector_666 posted:

Grab the General table from here: http://pastebin.com/KFk5qX0z

Most of the things on it aren't going to work because of the recent patch but the item swapper should (under Weapons/Equipment).

Then refer to the section ## Item Duping and Item Transformation

If the table doesn't work there are manual methods but they're kind of tedious to explain so try the table first.

There is also a mule on there with everything upgraded but the most recent DLC items.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 1, 2014

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I accidentally ate all but one of my Giant Souls and now I have to kill Vendrick. Am I totally hosed?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Time_pants posted:

I accidentally ate all but one of my Giant Souls and now I have to kill Vendrick. Am I totally hosed?

Bonfire Ascetic the Giant King.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

Regarding the Loyce Knight/Ruin Sentinel thing, Vendrick's golems seem to take the form of enemies which were used by previous kings. He has those turtle knights that are in Iron Keep for example, as well as Alonne Knights. He presumably either stole some from the ruins of the other kings and reanimated them, or created new ones in the image of other golems he saw.

I'm not quite sure about this but I believe that the only things that are the "golems" that appeared are the large humanoid things that suck souls into them if you kill something near them, also the things that make the bridge at the end of the game.

Edit: captain Drummond tells us that the golems appeared after the king pillaged the land of the Giants.

According to the ironclad armor item description http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/ironclad-armor they were created by the old iron King, which would be before vendrick's invasion.

And the ruin sentinel soul tells us it is a "creation of the jailer" http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/ruin-sentinel-soul

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 1, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tae posted:

You can also bonfire ascetic The Gutter if you want, but then you'll have to fight The Rotten again every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Tae posted:

I thought that was patched out?