Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Jimbot posted:

I forgotten how much of a hot mess it was tearing down all the mage defenses and which spell does what and what's most important. loving confusing. What's the shimmering pool around him mean? That blue sphere? That sparkling sparkles? The whowhatits? loving it, I'll start with the level 9 one then work my way down. Oh, a contingency that puts up a bunch of poo poo! Time to do it again!

Focus on getting rid of the defenses that prevent Breach from working, once you cast Breach, who cares if they still have spell defenses up, you can beat them to death with weapons if Stoneskins and PfMW are gone. Watch the combat log, learn which spells Secret Word, Ruby Ray, Khelbin's, etc take out, get rid of the ones that prevent Breach, cast Breach and beat mage to death/contingency, repeat. Melee is a powerful spell too :)

Or just pick up Keldorn and use his massively powerful Dispel Magic.

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh holy loving poo poo, I hate the section in Watcher's Keep where you possess some pigeon-poo poo spirit and text-adventure 'go east' and 'attack skeleton' bullshit. I've followed the loving walkthrough like clockwork and the ghost or the mummy are STILL killing me.

I literally have no recourse except to play the loving thing over and over until I luck out on something I have no input over.

I would rather be playing Dragon Age 2 right now, that's how frustrated I am.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Drifter posted:

Oh holy loving poo poo, I hate the section in Watcher's Keep where you possess some pigeon-poo poo spirit and text-adventure 'go east' and 'attack skeleton' bullshit. I've followed the loving walkthrough like clockwork and the ghost or the mummy are STILL killing me.

I literally have no recourse except to play the loving thing over and over until I luck out on something I have no input over.

I would rather be playing Dragon Age 2 right now, that's how frustrated I am.

Yeah its pretty much the worst. There are a bunch of different ways to do it though so try a different walkthrough if the one youre following doesn't work.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
One of my favourite part of Watchers Keep... :shobon:
I've done it several times, but I didn't even realize it was possible to fail it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I fought Demongorgon for the first time ever. Boy he's kind of hard! I think its mainly those two demons he summons in the fight. They like to throw up protection you have to strip down while having incredibly good attack rolls and spitting Incendiary Cloud everywhere. My second time trying I had to pull those two back to the portals and kill them separately then I went in as Demongorgon summoned two different demons. They were more manageable for my off tanks who didn't have the weaponry to hit Demongorgon with.

Oh and Demongoron is the stuff of nightmares. Looks kind of goofy in-game but some of that art out there. Creepy.

But all in all it's far better than Dulag's Tower if for the fact that it has nice open hallways that your characters can walk through. It was an absolute nightmare getting my party to attack monsters in Dulag's Tower without them going the long, unexplored, trap-filled way around to get to them.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The thing about him is he's really kind of a squishy summoner. Lead the demons off with someone and smack him until he dies. As far as I know there's no point in killing his summons, he'll just make more.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Jimbot posted:

Oh and Demongoron is the stuff of nightmares. Looks kind of goofy in-game but some of that art out there. Creepy.

He's a betentacled two-headed baboon, any creepiness is offset by his four huge red buttcheeks

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

He's a betentacled two-headed baboon, any creepiness is offset by his four huge red buttcheeks

That might explain why all the concept art is from the front.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

He is the four-assed monkey of legend.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I fought Demongorgon for the first time ever. Boy he's kind of hard! I think its mainly those two demons he summons in the fight. They like to throw up protection you have to strip down while having incredibly good attack rolls and spitting Incendiary Cloud everywhere. My second time trying I had to pull those two back to the portals and kill them separately then I went in as Demongorgon summoned two different demons. They were more manageable for my off tanks who didn't have the weaponry to hit Demongorgon with.

But all in all it's far better than Dulag's Tower if for the fact that it has nice open hallways that your characters can walk through. It was an absolute nightmare getting my party to attack monsters in Dulag's Tower without them going the long, unexplored, trap-filled way around to get to them.

He becomes a lot easier when you figure out that his summoned demons are unable to kill Mordenkainen's Swords. You just send some of them in first, run them off to the side a bit and then Demogorgon is all alone.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Drifter posted:

I absolutely loving hated doing that. The gamebanshee walkthrough got me killed over and over if that's the one that you're using. It makes you have a fight where your solider just doesn't have the health, but there are other guides that do it in a slightly different order.
The guide is also one of those that's guilty of over-exaggerating fights, telling you things are really hard when they're easy or really easy when they're hard because they don't tell you their party composition and etc.

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 30, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Just zig zag through, all the way right then all the way left and so on

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Finally beat Baldur's Gate EE after getting to the actual city in the old version over many playthroughs for many years and then losing interest. Started up BG2EE and I'm hitting a bug in the first dungeon with spirit armor not allowing me to save or rest for the entire duration of the spell. Being a fighter/mage that's pretty disappointing. Tried a hotfix but it didn't seem to take or something else is preventing me from saving or resting. Not a good start after making through the entire first game completely bug free.

Its pretty strange, I'll cast the spell and be able to quicksave right after, but then I'll walk into another room and boom, can't save. Leave the room and I can save once but another few steps and I can't save again. Its pretty frustrating.

Ohmygodsquad fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 30, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Spirit Armor is bugged to hell, yeah. You won't be able to do much of anything until it wears off.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Are there better alternatives I can pick up later or am I just going to have to settle for ghost armor/dispelling poo poo before I can rest?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Robes of Good/Bad/Ugly archmage (AC 5 always) and a whole plethora of immunity spells that become more useful in late game than pure AC, etc..

So basically, yeah.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Finally beat Baldur's Gate EE after getting to the actual city in the old version over many playthroughs for many years and then losing interest. Started up BG2EE and I'm hitting a bug in the first dungeon with spirit armor not allowing me to save or rest for the entire duration of the spell. Being a fighter/mage that's pretty disappointing. Tried a hotfix but it didn't seem to take or something else is preventing me from saving or resting. Not a good start after making through the entire first game completely bug free.

Its pretty strange, I'll cast the spell and be able to quicksave right after, but then I'll walk into another room and boom, can't save. Leave the room and I can save once but another few steps and I can't save again. Its pretty frustrating.

That "bug" applies to any spell or ability which causes an HP loss at the end and I think it was actually a conscious choice of the EE team who only subsequently realised it was loving dumb. Beserker/Barbarian rage has the same problem.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Are there better alternatives I can pick up later or am I just going to have to settle for ghost armor/dispelling poo poo before I can rest?

Armor and stoneskins always up and occasionally mirror image, it's all you really need for melee, spell defenses as needed. As for robes, buy the Robe of Vecna and don't look back.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Angry Lobster posted:

Armor and stoneskins always up and occasionally mirror image, it's all you really need for melee, spell defenses as needed. As for robes, buy the Robe of Vecna and don't look back.

Robe of Vecna on a Fighter/Mage? You don't need to cast buffs super fast. Stick with the Bracers of Defense AC3 for a Fighter/Mage, then Bladesinger Chain once you get it. Give the Robe of Vecna to Edwin or Imoen or something.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Pivotal Lever posted:

Robe of Vecna on a Fighter/Mage? You don't need to cast buffs super fast. Stick with the Bracers of Defense AC3 for a Fighter/Mage, then Bladesinger Chain once you get it. Give the Robe of Vecna to Edwin or Imoen or something.

For some strange reason I thought he was talking about a solo Fighter/Mage, welp, I suck at reading. Anyway, with just the usual mage buffs it will be fine for the most part of BG2, especially if he has another frontline character. Once you reach the end of Bg2 and especially ToB, AC becomes less important.

Unrelated question, what's the xp cap for BGEE? I was planning to do a solo trilogy playthrough but I'm unsure about a couple of details.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 1, 2014

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Angry Lobster posted:

For some strange reason I thought he was talking about a solo Fighter/Mage, welp, I suck at reading. Anyway, with just the usual mage buffs it will be fine for the most part of BG2, especially if he has another frontline character. Once you reach the end of Bg2 and especially ToB, AC becomes less important.

Unrelated question, what's the xp cap for BGEE? I was planning to do a solo trilogy playthrough but I'm unsure about a couple of details.

160k. Remove the cap if you want to do a triple class run, unless you can beat Sarevok at like 5/5/6 :)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
man, I'd kill if I could get the gold box games on ipad...

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Levitate posted:

man, I'd kill if I could get the gold box games on ipad...

http://www.litchie.com/?page_id=123

let me get my kill list wrote up.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Angry Lobster posted:

Yeah, been doing fine so far without it. Guess I just got so used to in BG1.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Pivotal Lever posted:

160k. Remove the cap if you want to do a triple class run, unless you can beat Sarevok at like 5/5/6 :)

Wand of Paralyze :colbert:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pivotal Lever posted:

One of my favourite BG runs was with an uncapped duo of Imoen and a Ranger/Cleric PC. It felt awesome to be able to stand toe to toe with Sarevok and just trade blows with the overcompensating bastard while our sister provided the heavy artillery. Then we raised the poor sucker from the dead in ToB to help us take down our other power-hungry siblings. A beautiful family experience!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm still pissed they took holy might away from me just so I could turn into a stupid monster.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Pivotal Lever posted:

Yup, I'm probably going to do that with a F/M/T.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Edit: Double post.

memento mori
May 4, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

Yup, I'm probably going to do that with a F/M/T.

Doesn't that make your hp really low?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Deaderinred posted:

http://www.litchie.com/?page_id=123

let me get my kill list wrote up.

I haven't jailbroken my ipad...not sure if I will or not, this is literally the only reason I have to do it so far. It'd just be nice if there was a good quality official dos emulator :\

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

memento mori posted:

Doesn't that make your hp really low?

I did fighter/mage once and with all the spells you get (blur, multi-image, stoneskin, spell blocks) you never really take damage. My guess is it's similar with F/M/T.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Relevant interview with Beamdog: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/icewind/icewindee/icewindeeint.html

Key points: They admit screwing up big time on the EE's thus far via publisher pressures, their embers of hope more duly stoked for IWD EE not going as poorly

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope Icewind Dale EE doesn't suffer the horrible pathing Baldur's Gate 2 does. Speaking of which, are they working on a patch for that?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I think they are aiming to get another massive patch out for BG2 EE...at the end of this year maybe?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I heard it'd be patched roughly around the same time IDEE comes out, since a lot of the code between ID, BG and BG 2 is compatible and IDEE is going to have a lot of those fixes shipped with the game to begin with.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I think they are aiming to get another massive patch out for BG2 EE...at the end of this year maybe?

They're definitely working on a 1.3 patch for BG2:EE. No official release date as far as I know.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Doh... scooped.

Airfoil fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 3, 2014

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Look five posts above yours, friend :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I've been playing through BG:EE for the past couple of weeks and I have to admit that BG1 just hasn't aged as well as the subsequent IE games. Tromping about the wilderness as a murderhobo is still great fun, but as soon as I run out of places to explore and get to Baldur's Gate (the city), I find that the game is nothing but city blocks full of dull fetch-quests and even duller dungeons.

I got bit by the IE bug again, though, so I'm firing up IWD and taking a party through on Insane difficulty. The difficulty slider in IWD is actually pretty sweet - harder difficulties increase the damage that enemies do, but also give you more experience, so you advance faster. It also adds extra enemies at certain places to increase the challenge factor.

Consequently, I'm running with a pretty powergamish 5-person party:

Human Paladin (Longsword/shield tank)
Human Ranger/dual-classed to Cleric at level 2 (Melee DPS - Mace/flail sans shield to abuse the Ranger's pseudo-dual-wield)
Human Fighter/dual-classed to Druid at level 2 (Second-line melee/spell DPS specializing in spears and quarterstaves)
Half-elf Bard (Longbows/Xbows/Bard songs/spells that my main mage can't learn)
Gnome Thief/Illusionist (Shortbows/spell DPS/trapfinding & lockpicking)

All min-maxed, of course. Now to slaughter some goblins...