Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Very nice, for a moment I was trying to figure out what the gently caress you had mounted on the rear standard, then I realised it was the microwave in the background :v:

Say goodbye to all your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

Very nice, for a moment I was trying to figure out what the gently caress you had mounted on the rear standard, then I realised it was the microwave in the background :v:

Say goodbye to all your money.

I'll have plenty of money (until my 8x10 holders get here).:homebrew:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

8th-snype posted:

I'll have plenty of money (until my 8x10 holders get here).:homebrew:

shoot some 8x10 667 instant.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Musket posted:

shoot some 8x10 667 instant.

So... Polaroid 803?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Little India by alkanphel, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

http://www.theintrepidcamera.co.uk

They plan on selling these for £130, not too far off the price of a Graflex unfortunately.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Looks OK, nice and light too. If they can get the minimum bellows extension they want I might be tempted, at that price it'd basically be an accessory for my 65mm lens.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Corolla by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Went and bought a sturdier tripod on Craigslist for the 8x10. Anyone have a source for manfrotto 1/4-20 studs to replace the 3/8ths head mounting one? It's still a little shakey in this configuration.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:eyepop:

Love the colours.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jurong West by alkanphel, on Flickr

Jurong West by alkanphel, on Flickr

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

You recent photos have been great Alkanphel. Each time I see new photos from you I want to buy some Provia. I really enjoy that the photos are great if you were to view them only as a composition, but capture so much of the location's personality.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

daspope posted:

You recent photos have been great Alkanphel. Each time I see new photos from you I want to buy some Provia. I really enjoy that the photos are great if you were to view them only as a composition, but capture so much of the location's personality.

Thanks for the compliment! And I wholly endorse you buying some Provia to shoot :D

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:eyepop:

Love the colours.

jump on dat Provia bandwagon

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I shot some Provia once but... indoors and... without a filter :gonk:

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I just processed and scanned a bunch of 4x5, and every frame has a similar fogging which I'm assuming is a light leak. Here's the least obnoxious example:

BERETT by rstop bstop, on Flickr
And here's a more prominent example:
Light by rstop bstop, on Flickr

Four sheets from two different holders all show the same fading that tapers in from the left-hand side of the image (so, the side the darkslide opens from). Fair to say it's a light leak? I'm thinking either my technique getting the darkslide in and out isn't good enough, or else the holder isn't seated properly in the back when I take the shot. But maybe someone here has a better idea?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Baron Dirigible posted:

I just processed and scanned a bunch of 4x5, and every frame has a similar fogging which I'm assuming is a light leak. Here's the least obnoxious example:

BERETT by rstop bstop, on Flickr
And here's a more prominent example:
Light by rstop bstop, on Flickr

Four sheets from two different holders all show the same fading that tapers in from the left-hand side of the image (so, the side the darkslide opens from). Fair to say it's a light leak? I'm thinking either my technique getting the darkslide in and out isn't good enough, or else the holder isn't seated properly in the back when I take the shot. But maybe someone here has a better idea?

You have a Chamonix right? I nearly guarantee that you are pulled the darkslide slightly to the side when removing it and letting some light in. I have taken to holding the back of the camera together with one hand while pulling the slide with the other.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

gently caress me

I just realised after shooting some 4x5 in portrait, I'd put the back on in landscape position upside down. Loading film holders doesn't work so well from the wrong side, it turns out! Unless you're me and you're stupid enough not to realise they're not locking in properly.

This is why I'm keeping my 4x5 Portra in the freezer.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Baron Dirigible posted:

gently caress me

I just realised after shooting some 4x5 in portrait, I'd put the back on in landscape position upside down. Loading film holders doesn't work so well from the wrong side, it turns out! Unless you're me and you're stupid enough not to realise they're not locking in properly.

This is why I'm keeping my 4x5 Portra in the freezer.

I didn't think it mattered? Like if the sun was on the left hand side of the camera I would put the back on so that you feed the film holder in from the left hand side to avoid any chance of light leak from sun during dark slide removal?

And if tripod head allows I put it in portrait position so I'm feeding the film holder in from the bottom if theres strong light source above...?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sludge Tank posted:

I didn't think it mattered? Like if the sun was on the left hand side of the camera I would put the back on so that you feed the film holder in from the left hand side to avoid any chance of light leak from sun during dark slide removal?

And if tripod head allows I put it in portrait position so I'm feeding the film holder in from the bottom if theres strong light source above...?

I think he was putting the back on wrong (left-to-right) but the holder in right (right to left). I don't know about whether it makes a difference on a Sinar, but it definitely makes a difference on a Chamonix where the closed/hinged end of the holder is surrounded by a raised part of the back.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

MrBlandAverage posted:

I think he was putting the back on wrong (left-to-right) but the holder in right (right to left). I don't know about whether it makes a difference on a Sinar, but it definitely makes a difference on a Chamonix where the closed end of the holder is surrounded by a raised part of the back.
Yep! I'm pretty sure that's the source of the light leaks, and I'm pretty sure it would also have affected the focus, since on inspection now the holder doesn't seem to sit parallel like that.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Baron Dirigible posted:

Yep! I'm pretty sure that's the source of the light leaks, and I'm pretty sure it would also have affected the focus, since on inspection now the holder doesn't seem to sit parallel like that.

Yup, that's your problem.

Sludge Tank posted:

WTF kind if view camera do you have that wouldn't just allow you to mount the back in such a position rather than hang it off a tripod sideways? Answer: You probably don't, if your back is removable and your bellows square you are doing this wrong.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
No I meant if the tripod head allows in that the levers/handles of it don't get in the way of putting the film holder in.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

No I meant if the tripod head allows in that the levers/handles of it don't get in the way of putting the film holder in.

Okay that's way less dumb, sorry broseph.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
It's cool, I too would've made the assumption I was just doing something completely retarded.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
From here on out Wednesday will be known as "the day sludge tank wasn't an idiot hell fucker".

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Should have got this roll processed in January, not 10 months later:

Over Melbourne by mr_student, on Flickr

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Had this quasi-nightmare the other night that I wanted to shoot some 4x5, but had enough presence of mind to remember I'd sold it all off :smith:

Spedman posted:

These are fantastic.

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...

Spedman posted:

These are awesome. The second one looks like a festive version of the intro to Blade Runner.

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
Salt Flat Mirage by nmb04f, on Flickr

Ramms+ein fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 2, 2014

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

awwwww yisss

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

welp i just bought a 4x5

I guess it had to happen after I got a V700. Paid $500 for a Gowland Pocket View, the oldest and lightest version, in great shape with a teeny little Fujinon 150mm f6.3. Came with a ton of extras - newer/brighter ground glass, nice set of Cokin filters, 6 film holders, spare knobs and cable releases, a 50 pack of Provia sheets and some other random 4x5 and 120 film.

Now I just need to sell my SQ-Ai setup...

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Man_of_Teflon posted:

welp i just bought a 4x5

I guess it had to happen after I got a V700. Paid $500 for a Gowland Pocket View, the oldest and lightest version, in great shape with a teeny little Fujinon 150mm f6.3. Came with a ton of extras - newer/brighter ground glass, nice set of Cokin filters, 6 film holders, spare knobs and cable releases, a 50 pack of Provia sheets and some other random 4x5 and 120 film.

Uuuuuhhh if you got 50 sheets of Provia that's a crazy good deal but they come in 20 sheet boxes as far as I know...

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

It's from 2003, they must have stopped with the 50 packs since then.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Oh okay, less of a crazy good deal since 50 sheets would run you like $180 for in date stuff. Still not bad at all.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Man_of_Teflon posted:

welp i just bought a 4x5

:getin:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I had another crack at getting my new dipping tank going. I've been trying 8x10 blue sensitive x-ray film on hangers in the tank, there were a few issue with the back on my DIY camera having a few light leaks, but I've got it working pretty well now. The first few goes there were issues with some surge marks on the film, but that was from not agitating the tank enough. So to get it working properly, I need to do "inversions" that involve rotating the box 90deg both ways to get proper movement of the dev, I was being too gentle with the rocking first time around. So here is the film on a hanger out of the final wash:

And the two shots hanging to dry

And the scanned neg

The development time was 6min with similar inversions to what you do with a regular tank, Rodinal 1:100.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sungei Ulu Pandan by alkanphel, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Yessss

• Locked thread