Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

And he's only 22 or something. poo poo is nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
In star trek at least once an episode someone will use a common phrase or metaphor that they know no future people will understand.

Picard: Now we're just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Geordi: The shoe? I don't understand at all.
Picard: It's an old expression it means blah blah blah

It's incredibly douchey to randomly speak in a way you know no one else will understand just so you can show off and explain it too them. Also no one can understand any sort of context and make a guess at what the other person might be saying if they don't spell it out. It's especially dumb when Data has to ask what a word is since he has a whole dictionary and encyclopedia built into his brain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Inzombiac posted:

And he's only 22 or something. poo poo is nuts.

24, I think. He's a professional strongman and widely tipped to win World's Strongest Man in the next couple of years. As someone said: if that's Hafthor, what the hell does Wholethor look like?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Ignite Memories posted:

Me and a friend both went into Mulholland Drive totally blind and never having seen a David Lynch movie before. This was back when netflix was just on DVD, and it suggested that he would really like this movie, so he rented it.

It was an absolutely magical afternoon.

My mother-in-law is a tiny little lady from Ciudad Juarez, and also a devout Mormon convert. Years ago, she takes my wife's older brother, then about eleven, to the movies without checking what was playing. They look at the titles and decide to choose one that sounded interesting.

It was The Crying Game.

Her brother still thinks it's pretty funny, but he admitted that it was a very, very awkward car ride home after a certain scene.

mng posted:

Oh yeah, it's just the only thing that stuck out to me, but then I've seen it so many times. Patrick was also partly chosen because he didn't blink (except once or twice I think) while shooting, managing a blind reload, then continuing shooting. Definitely loving terrifying as an unrelenting terminator.

Watch Arnold in the first Terminator when he executes Sarah Connor's roommate, versus Robert Patrick in the second firing his Beretta down the service hallway of the mall. Schwarzenegger flinches hard from the muzzle blast that his eyes nearly close. Robert Patrick magdumps, reloads and magdumps again without so much as a facial twitch.

I met him in at a USO thing once and told him he scared the absolute poo poo out of me when I was a little kid. Evidently he gets that a lot. Really nice guy, too.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Wild T posted:

Watch Arnold in the first Terminator when he executes Sarah Connor's roommate, versus Robert Patrick in the second firing his Beretta down the service hallway of the mall. Schwarzenegger flinches hard from the muzzle blast that his eyes nearly close. Robert Patrick magdumps, reloads and magdumps again without so much as a facial twitch.

I met him in at a USO thing once and told him he scared the absolute poo poo out of me when I was a little kid. Evidently he gets that a lot. Really nice guy, too.

Haha, you're right. I just had to slap together some gifs. He blinks a bit, but it's impressive. I'm glad to hear he's as nice as I thought he would be.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The T-1000 should have multiple arms holding a clip right underneath the gun so it can immediately reload instead of inefficiently reloading like a human. Immersion ruined.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's almost like he was deliberately describing that fight. Big guy is absolutely really one of those abnormally huge terrifying motherfuckers in real life.

The Craster's Keep fight was even worse.

"We are outnumbered and attacking a fortified position, the only advantage we have is the element of surprise. So what we're going to do is scream as loud as possible and then do a dead sprint towards them, just to make sure we are tired and that they know where we are and where we're coming from. Then I'm going to lure their knife expert in as close to as I can with my longsword, that way I can fully utilize my pommel and elbows."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

oldpainless posted:

The T-1000 should have multiple arms holding a clip right underneath the gun so it can immediately reload instead of inefficiently reloading like a human. Immersion ruined.

He does something like that in the helicopter scene where he grows an extra arm to pilot while the other two are busy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

In star trek at least once an episode someone will use a common phrase or metaphor that they know no future people will understand.

It's incredibly douchey to randomly speak in a way you know no one else will understand just so you can show off and explain it too them. Also no one can understand any sort of context and make a guess at what the other person might be saying if they don't spell it out. It's especially dumb when Data has to ask what a word is since he has a whole dictionary and encyclopedia built into his brain.

"We're going to burn the midnight oil on this one chief!"
"That would be inadvisable due to automated fire control"
"HAH, you silly android, it's an old saying from about 400 years before you were built, I can't believe you don't know it!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oldpainless posted:

He should've just grown a second, smaller Robert Patrick out of his stomach and had that poke out of the middle of his shirt. The smaller one could hand him the fresh magazines.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

CJacobs posted:

He should've just grown a second, smaller Robert Patrick out of his stomach and had that poke out of the middle of his shirt. The smaller one could hand him the fresh magazines.

Plagiarising "Total Recall", no dice.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Quaid, start the reload.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oldpainless posted:

Plagiarising "Total Recall", no dice.

I know, and they're both Schwarzenegger movies :thejoke:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

One is a Scwarzenegger movie and one is a Colin Farrel movie.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dr_Amazing posted:

You want irrationally irritating? I hate that every time Star Trek: TNG drags the past into their conversations or brings up some old metaphor, it's from our actual past. The show starts in the year 2364 and I think they mention something that happened between 1991 and 2364 like four or five times total, generally in reference to the original series, and never once in relation to cultural or artistic development. They're all obsessed with Babe Ruth and Dixieland Jazz and detective novels, and it's just like if everyone now was alway whinging on about Caroline-era stage plays and the value of natural philosophers. I mean, I know that there's supposed to be a sort of post-war dark ages in that timeline, but you know what's interesting is post war dark ages! Also, did no one invent a sport worth obsessing over in 350 years? American football is only 120 years old or so, if we were following TNG rules we'd all be on about pugilism and the Cotswold Olympicks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

I have never seen Mulholland Drive and have absolutely no idea what it's about.

Should I do this?
Absolutely. Only one of these things will have changed afterwards. For what it's worth, I'd consider Lost Highway a better choice for a blind viewing. Better overall movie, for one.

Descriptions and trailers really have become a bit annoying. Some of the best movie viewings I ever had happened when people just brought stuff over and at most we'd know the title, maybe the director and one or two actors, and rather than waste precious movie time figuring out what we'd probably like best, we'd draw one from the stack and strapped the gently caress in for better or worse.

BiggerBoat posted:

What's so hard about making a decent Godzilla, Hulk, Transformers film or even a decent Alien or Terminator sequel or a new RoboCop movie? These things practically write themselves they're so god damned simple, especially Godzilla and Hulk. Why is this tricky?
Along those lines, why is it terribly hard to make a good fighting game movie? Asia has been making martial arts movies for decades, they're probably pretty good at it. Go there, hand them a stack of cash, tell them to make Street Fighter with it, and let them figure out the rest. Ong-Bak is everything a Street Fighter movie needs to be, give or take a few special effects and dubious scientific concepts.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

theironjef posted:

You want irrationally irritating? I hate that every time Star Trek: TNG drags the past into their conversations or brings up some old metaphor, it's from our actual past. The show starts in the year 2364 and I think they mention something that happened between 1991 and 2364 like four or five times total, generally in reference to the original series, and never once in relation to cultural or artistic development. They're all obsessed with Babe Ruth and Dixieland Jazz and detective novels, and it's just like if everyone now was alway whinging on about Caroline-era stage plays and the value of natural philosophers. I mean, I know that there's supposed to be a sort of post-war dark ages in that timeline, but you know what's interesting is post war dark ages! Also, did no one invent a sport worth obsessing over in 350 years? American football is only 120 years old or so, if we were following TNG rules we'd all be on about pugilism and the Cotswold Olympicks.

Hey, they invented neon see-through cymbals! Bringing a classic instrument straight into the future. It's really difficult to find a good picture because 'star trek wedding' turns up all of the very wrong things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OOgsPQNT9U

And Picard's photo album from Generations has these stupid hologram borders.

I hate like, 75% of the TNG movies, everyone acts so differently compared to the show.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

mng posted:

Hey, they invented neon see-through cymbals! Bringing a classic instrument straight into the future. It's really difficult to find a good picture because 'star trek wedding' turns up all of the very wrong things.

I hate like, 75% of the TNG movies, everyone acts so differently compared to the show.

I know what you mean, I remember the neon cymbals, they're from one of those movies where Worf is just back for whatever reason. Big green plastic cymbals, would totally make a noise like "clack" unless they were just an aftermarket USB plugin for a drum machine. Probably makes that percussionist feel real good, all "I could be replaced by a button."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

theironjef posted:

Also, did no one invent a sport worth obsessing over in 350 years? American football is only 120 years old or so, if we were following TNG rules we'd all be on about pugilism and the Cotswold Olympicks.

There's parrises squares as far as sports go, but that's about it. TOS had Colonel Green in that episode with simulations of historical figures representing good and evil.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

theironjef posted:

Anbo-jyutsu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6DvMKmhenQ&t=50s

DeathFromAbove1988
Mar 8, 2007

You're a woman, I'm a machine.

Anosmoman posted:

So whenever the protagonist is completely outclassed in a hand-to-hand fight the baddie will just throw him around for a bit. First through a window, then walk over and pick him up, then throw him through some shelves, walk over an pick him up, then throw him on a table that disintegrates. Stop the inefficiency! I wanna see one of those abnormally huge/powerful guys who's actually terrifying because he would murder you if he got his hands on you instead of just moving you around a room and bruising you until you find a random object you can impale him with. I dunno know I just think it's a cop out and it's almost formulaic at this point.

If you'd like to see a fight between two Big Guys done right... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blki-DISUis

Its from season 3 of Deadwood, and while I guess it contains somewhat of a spoiler (one of them dies), there is literally nothing you need to know about this scene to enjoy it other than these two men hate each other so much that they're willing to try to beat one another to death in the mud one afternoon. Probably one of the rawest moments in an already incredibly raw show.

e: *with their bare hands.

DeathFromAbove1988 has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Oct 1, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

theironjef posted:

I know what you mean, I remember the neon cymbals, they're from one of those movies where Worf is just back for whatever reason. Big green plastic cymbals, would totally make a noise like "clack" unless they were just an aftermarket USB plugin for a drum machine. Probably makes that percussionist feel real good, all "I could be replaced by a button."

I've seen "digital cymbals" on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrJWbDFna9o

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

mng posted:

In the future, holograms are everywhere

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Fair enough. Fair enough. I forgot about the squares thing too. They did invent a few crazy future sports, and I think there's even a goofy racquetball variant in DS9.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

oldpainless posted:

So like, one arm to hold the gun and one arm to hold the fresh clip?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

theironjef posted:

I think there's even a goofy racquetball variant in DS9.

The Miles O'brien Shoulder Dislocator Simulator?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Haha, nah not like those at all. Literally think of your standard crash cymbal etc.. and make it out of clearish green plastic instead of brass.

Yes, that retarded.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nutsngum posted:

Haha, nah not like those at all. Literally think of your standard crash cymbal etc.. and make it out of clearish green plastic instead of brass.

Yes, that retarded.

I'm surprised some Trek uber-nerd hasn't created them yet.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

What would have been great is if just one time in Quark's bar as all the people traipsed in and out of the holo-sims dressed as WW1 fighter pilots and 60s superspies there was a group of people in the background heading up dressed as TOS era crewmen. Like you know Kirk's adventures have to be super popular pulp heroism stuff in the TNG era.

Green space cymbals. Note that 380 years from now our advances in music will be plastic cymbals and cerulean becoming an available color for mandolins.

theironjef has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Oct 1, 2014

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

theironjef posted:

Fair enough. Fair enough. I forgot about the squares thing too. They did invent a few crazy future sports, and I think there's even a goofy racquetball variant in DS9.

And they talk about hoverball in at least one episode. Who wouldn't play a sport called hoverball?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Aggressive pricing posted:

And they talk about hoverball in at least one episode. Who wouldn't play a sport called hoverball?

Just the Sisko, whose dedication to a 500 year old sport is incredible. I love that the rules of baseball survived an apocalypse,a cultural dead period, and a eugenics war unchanged. Or maybe they didn't and he's just a weird 20th century purist (who am I kidding, every major character is a weird 20th century afficionado, even the aliens and the robots).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

theironjef posted:

Just the Sisko, whose dedication to a 500 year old sport is incredible. I love that the rules of baseball survived an apocalypse,a cultural dead period, and a eugenics war unchanged. Or maybe they didn't and he's just a weird 20th century purist (who am I kidding, every major character is a weird 20th century afficionado, even the aliens and the robots).

Kim did not what wheels are.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bippie Mishap posted:

You also forgot the rabbits that let themselves be killed and made their whole culture around it because they were fed.

You talking poo poo about my home, man?

They should remake watership down. But only someone like Burton would make it right and dark.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

You talking poo poo about my home, man?

They should remake watership down. But only someone like Burton would make it right and dark.

Burton's Watership Down, featuring Johnny Depp doing a CGI dance in pancakey rabbit makeup, and Helena Bonham Carter as a rabbit that whispers into some other rabbit's neck.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

theironjef posted:

What would have been great is if just one time in Quark's bar as all the people traipsed in and out of the holo-sims dressed as WW1 fighter pilots and 60s superspies there was a group of people in the background heading up dressed as TOS era crewmen. Like you know Kirk's adventures have to be super popular pulp heroism stuff in the TNG era.

Oh man the holo deck. I know it's a tv show, but there's no way that thing would be used for anything except loving holograms. Instead half the crew goes in and simulates having a picnic or something. I guess it's neat that Worf uses it to practice murdering people.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dr_Amazing posted:

Oh man the holo deck. I know it's a tv show, but there's no way that thing would be used for anything except loving holograms. Instead half the crew goes in and simulates having a picnic or something. I guess it's neat that Worf uses it to practice murdering people.

He just really hates those spooky skeleton guys.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Dr_Amazing posted:

I loved how they'd run out of money for cgi spaceships and just do an episode where everybody was in period costume, loving about on the holodeck. To be fair, if you asked me to describe the plot of an episode, I can't remember a single one except "they dicked about on a pirate ship?" so I guess that one is my favourite. :v:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

I loved how they'd run out of money for cgi spaceships and just do an episode where everybody was in period costume, loving about on the holodeck. To be fair, if you asked me to describe the plot of an episode, I can't remember a single one except "they dicked about on a pirate ship?" so I guess that one is my favourite. :v:

They all had some stupid thing they liked to do. Picard liked old spy novels, Bashir liked less old but still ridiculously old in Star Trek years spy novels, O'Brien wanted to reenact wars that are further away from him than the Revolutionary war is from us, Paris liked 1930s adventure shows with pots and pans robots, and Barclay liked to gently caress his coworkers. Also I think Geordi used it to practice loving his coworkers or something, is that right?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

theironjef posted:

They all had some stupid thing they liked to do. Picard liked old spy novels, Bashir liked less old but still ridiculously old in Star Trek years spy novels, O'Brien wanted to reenact wars that are further away from him than the Revolutionary war is from us, Paris liked 1930s adventure shows with pots and pans robots, and Barclay liked to gently caress his coworkers. Also I think Geordi used it to practice loving his coworkers or something, is that right?
You're asking me? All I remember is the pirate ship.

Having said that, I seem to remember Kirk and co landing on a planet where everyone was a 50s gangster and another planet that was all densely packed hitlers, so I guess my issue with the holodeck is just laziness? Like, there's enough poo poo in the universe that statistically there must be a planet with nothing but 17th century pirates on it somewhere, they just can't be arsed to look for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

jabby posted:

So like, one arm to hold the gun and one arm to hold the fresh clip?

Probably like both arms still holding the gun stationary while a third arm brings a clip up. Or two arms each with a clip that way there's always a fresh clip ready to go it.