Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's time for a proven leader, one with experience. Experience making sure America's energy reserves are secure. Experience fighting Islamic terrorism.

Experience: it's what makes the difference, when the chips are down. When the birds are up; you want a man who's not worried about what's between him and his target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I don't expect that Romney or Jeb will run unless something happens to Chris Christie in the next twelve months. I'm really looking forward to Gov. Tony Soprano vs. Senator Frostback vs... shoot, I forget the third guy.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

FMguru posted:

What's the logic behind a second run? What states will Mitt take in 2016 that he lost in 2012? The guy's primary qualification is that he was just soundly rejected by American voters last time around. It's not like that 47% tape is going to unhappen if he runs again. It's baffling.

See I dunno. What if Mitt dumped tens of millions in 2013-2015 into philanthropy or something and tried to present himself as a changed man who was less out of touch. And also pointed to an unpopular Obama second term (because let's get real, his approvals aren't going up from facing off with a Republican Congress these next two years) and said "don't you wish you'd voted for me last time?".

I mean, still a long shot, but I feel like a lot of Mitt Romney's problems in 2012 were pretty fixable. The catch is that the solution is more or less "change completely who you are" but then he did that once before successfully - in 2008 he was the "severe conservative" alternative to McCain and in 2012 he was the moderate alternative to Santorum.

FMguru posted:

Christie has more skeletons than a level 60 necromancer

This is amazing.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
All this talk about losers running and no-one mention's Grover Cleveland's nonconsecutive terms? For shame.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jackson Taus posted:

See I dunno. What if Mitt dumped tens of millions in 2013-2015 into philanthropy or something and tried to present himself as a changed man who was less out of touch. And also pointed to an unpopular Obama second term (because let's get real, his approvals aren't going up from facing off with a Republican Congress these next two years) and said "don't you wish you'd voted for me last time?".

Mitt has already given more to charity than the Obamas have ever made in their lives. Doesn't help him cross the uncanny valley.

Mitt is proof that Tricky Dick wouldn't be able to win in a modern environment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Trabisnikof posted:

Mitt has already given more to charity than the Obamas have ever made in their lives. Doesn't help him cross the uncanny valley.

Mitt is proof that Tricky Dick wouldn't be able to win in a modern environment.

Mitt isn't as smart as Tricky Dick. by several orders of magnitude.

Also Eric Hosmer's (KC Royals first basemen) dad was a firefighter, and it's clear that the self sacrifice involved in that profession rubbed off on his son.

3/10 (I lost a bet about the A's/Royals game)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jackson Taus posted:

See I dunno. What if Mitt dumped tens of millions in 2013-2015 into philanthropy or something and tried to present himself as a changed man who was less out of touch.
Mitt's attitude seems to be that he doesn't need to change, he was right all along, now he's going to graciously give America a chance to make up for the huge mistake they made in 2012. Why should he change? Obama is the guy who sucked.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Mitt isn't as smart as Tricky Dick. by several orders of magnitude.

Also Eric Hosmer's (KC Royals first basemen) dad was a firefighter, and it's clear that the self sacrifice involved in that profession rubbed off on his son.

3/10 (I lost a bet about the A's/Royals game)

Nixon may have been smart but he didn't get people.

This is a man who didn't know women used cursed words until after elected president. Nixon couldn't survive the endless taped interactions with humans. That's what did Mitt in.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FMguru posted:

Mitt's attitude seems to be that he doesn't need to change, he was right all along, now he's going to graciously give America a chance to make up for the huge mistake they made in 2012. Why should he change? Obama is the guy who sucked.

I'm pretty sure Mitt isn't running again. Why would he need to, when one of his former partners wants to run?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FMguru posted:

Romney ran for president literally non-stop from early 2007 to late 2012, but apparently he thinks Americans just need to see a little more of him to be won over.
He's a PE guy, he's got this one brand asset left and he's got some numbers that show how he could make it work. He's going to do a road show, borrow a bunch of money, hire a bunch of overpaid consultants, let them tweak the model constantly and spend a shitload of money on themselves in the process, skull gently caress the thing until it's completely dead, fire the employees at midnight when it fails again and leave the creditors holding the bag.

Obviously, what America needs is a businessman in the White House.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wouldn't be sure that Obama will end his term as unpopular as he is now. Clinton's popularity stemmed from his republican congress.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Clinton's popularity stemmed from his republican congress.

Well, that plus (relative) peace and prosperity.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Who's lost the most times counting primaries? Stassen? Bryan? Can we Kount on Keyes in 2016???

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

De Nomolos posted:

Who's lost the most times counting primaries? Stassen? Bryan? Can we Kount on Keyes in 2016???

Yup, for major party candidates Stassen holds the record with ten. LaRouche comes in second with eight. Henry Clay tried five times.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm pretty sure Mitt isn't running again. Why would he need to, when one of his former partners wants to run?

Well there's the ~*white horse prophesy*~ thing, for one.

More seriously, for the same reason he tried the last two elections: an unthinking sense of being entitled to the highest office in the land by virtue of being really stinkin' rich and privileged. Ann was more vocal about this than he, but it was clearly his main motivation in 2008 and 2012.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Joementum posted:

Yup, for major party candidates Stassen holds the record with ten. LaRouche comes in second with eight. Henry Clay tried five times.

Someone spent 40 loving years running for president? That sounds like a punishment in hell for an ambitious and corrupt politician.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Why could Mitt run in 2016 but McCain didn't have a chance in 2012?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Skwirl posted:

Someone spent 40 loving years running for president? That sounds like a punishment in hell for an ambitious and corrupt politician.

Over fifty years, actually, since he didn't challenge incumbent Republican Presidents (except in 1984 and 1992 when he did). He also had multiple Gubernatorial, Senatorial, and Mayoral failed candidacies in several states.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Why could Mitt run in 2016 but McCain didn't have a chance in 2012?

Because Romney hasn't lost to Clinton already, where in 2012 it'd be McCain against the guy that beat him last time around and unseating a sitting president is already hard enough.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Joementum posted:

Over fifty years, actually, since he didn't challenge incumbent Republican Presidents (except in 1984 and 1992 when he did). He also had multiple Gubernatorial, Senatorial, and Mayoral failed candidacies in several states.

That's just depressing.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Ain't no party like a Romney party 'cause a Romney party don't stop until midnight when the credit cards are cancelled

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Eschers Basement posted:

Ain't no party like a Romney party 'cause a Romney party don't stop until midnight when the credit cards are cancelled

Yeah, here's something: if Romney runs again, can we get a camera crew to just follow his staff around? I want to know who signs up to work on Romney III.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chantilly Say posted:

Yeah, here's something: if Romney runs again, can we get a camera crew to just follow his staff around? I want to know who signs up to work on Romney III.

One half mormons, one half the most opportunistic of the staffers. Its a sitcom that writes itself.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

A Hillary v. Romney campaign feels like a race for second, who's the best of people who lost to Obama.

Can McCain run third party?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Skwirl posted:

Because Romney hasn't lost to Clinton already, where in 2012 it'd be McCain against the guy that beat him last time around and unseating a sitting president is already hard enough.
Not only this, but age too. McCain was 72 in 2008, and there were already concerns about his age (plus Palin as VP compounding the "what happens if he dies" question). McCain was 76 in 2012, which would put him at 80 at the end of a hypothetical first term. Also, running a presidential campaign is loving exhausting, and McCain knows exactly what running again would entail.

:corsair:"I did that poo poo once, I don't want to do it again."

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 1, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

fade5 posted:

Not only this, but age too. McCain was 72 in 2008, and there were already concerns about his age (plus Palin as VP compounding the "what happens if he dies" question). McCain was 76 in 2012, which would put him at 80 at the end of a hypothetical first term. Also, running a presidential campaign is loving exhausting, and McCain knows exactly what what it would entail. Basically: "I don't want to do that poo poo again."

Yeah, I was going to mention the age thing but it seemed cruel, and though I doubt he's going to run for president, I think Jerry Brown is doing a bang up job as governor of California (or at least as good as could be expected with as dysfunctional a legislature as we have) and he's 76.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
McCain wasn't just some old guy, he was an old guy who already had a history of medical problems. And can't give high fives.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Lemming posted:

McCain wasn't just some old guy, he was an old guy who already had a history of medical problems. And can't give high fives.

Not wishing to make light of McCain's torture-induced injuries in particular, why giving high-fives isn't already a requirement for high office already I'll never know.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Not wishing to make light of McCain's torture-induced injuries in particular, why giving high-fives isn't already a requirement for high office already I'll never know.

Nah, it's all about the terrorist fist jab now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/09/fox-anchor-calls-obama-fi_n_106027.html

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If you enjoy Presidential primary politics, you will probably enjoy the documentary Caucus, which is now available for streaming on Netflix. Here's the trailer.

https://vimeo.com/71855931

This documentary is fairly sympathetic to Santorum, which is understandable because I think only he and Michele allowed them full coverage of their events and there's an obvious narrative arc with Santorum coming from last place to win the Iowa Caucus. There is also a scene where Ron Paul struggles to close a car door.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Awesome, the baseball game went to poo poo, so I will be watching that documentary tonight!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

OctoberBlues posted:

Awesome, the baseball game went to poo poo, so I will be watching that documentary tonight!
Now that's some quality username/post synergy.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Joementum posted:

If you enjoy Presidential primary politics, you will probably enjoy the documentary Caucus, which is now available for streaming on Netflix. Here's the trailer.

https://vimeo.com/71855931

This documentary is fairly sympathetic to Santorum, which is understandable because I think only he and Michele allowed them full coverage of their events and there's an obvious narrative arc with Santorum coming from last place to win the Iowa Caucus. There is also a scene where Ron Paul struggles to close a car door.

While not necessarily informative, this was entertaining as hell. There's a glorious scene of Rick Perry foreshadowing his own debate demise.

edit: and yeah, Santorum actually sounds sane in this documentary.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 2, 2014

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Naet posted:

While not necessarily informative, this was entertaining as hell. There's a glorious scene of Rick Perry foreshadowing his own debate demise.

edit: and yeah, Santorum actually sounds sane in this documentary.

And of course, it's nowhere to be found on the Dutch Netflix :(

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I had forgotten just how much play they got out of the "Obama uses teleprompters" nonsense. I also appreciate how it profiles some of the many stupid pieces of poo poo who live in Iowa. I love the old man that's like "I have sleep apnea! something something, I hate Mexicans! Build a fence!"

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Skwirl posted:

I still wonder how well Candidate McCain 2000 would've done in 2008. It's hard to imagine the answer isn't "much better" and unlike 2012 he could've still got the nomination as a dreaded sane personRINO.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I dunno. Remember, when they heard about him making a sane, reasonable pick for an experienced VP, they hated it and demanded a crazy lady who lived in the snow looking at Russia.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Fulchrum posted:

I dunno. Remember, when they heard about him making a sane, reasonable pick for an experienced VP, they hated it and demanded a crazy lady who lived in the snow looking at Russia.

Romney was never going to be VP. He's got too big of an ego. McCain wanted Lieberman, and his people told him, "lol, no." Then the other serious choices were Tim Pawlenty and Huckabee. Pawlenty would probably have been the best choice because he's solid, but also boring enough to fill that slot. Huckabee was too square, and would have made the ticket feel like Grumpy Old Men.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh, I do declare! :monocle:

quote:

In a recent, hour-long interview, Lindsey Graham said if he is reelected to the Senate in November, he will begin exploring a bid for the presidency.

Graham has long been one of the most active and outspoken hawks in Congress. He has been a voluble critic of the Obama administration on a wide variety of national security issues—Guantánamo Bay, Benghazi, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Russia, Iran, and others. Unlike many of his colleagues, Graham often first seeks to engage the administration privately as it debates policy with the hope that he can help shape the outcome rather than just criticize it after the fact.

But Graham no longer trusts Obama enough to engage him on these matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

quote:

Unlike many of his colleagues, Graham often first seeks to engage the administration privately as it debates policy with the hope that he can help shape the outcome rather than just criticize it after the fact.

By privately coming to them with the same criticism he would have after the fact?

• Locked thread