Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Chronojam posted:

This explains everything I was doing wrong. Thanks.

Better to learn this now and not at the bonus level where the entire stage is that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks a bunch guys, I used the jumping advice to get that last puzzle piece. I do think I'll be enjoying the game more now that I understand the bouncing mechanic.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hey guys I'm having external storage problems. I have an old Seagate 250GB external hard drive laying around and figured it would be perfect because it's not like Wii U games are that big. I just got my y-cable in the mail today. Plugged it in, Wii U asked if I want to format it, I did. Now when I try to access the data management menu through settings, I get an error.

"There is a problem with the USB storage device.

Please contact the manufacturer of the device.
Check the device's manual for contact information.

Error Code: 160-0105"

Anyone else get this before? I googled the error code and saw some people suggesting I switch USB ports and I did. Still no luck. Looking at my external, the little light is on so it's receiving power and I guess the Wii U would have had to recognize it in the first place to suggest formatting it.

I'm at a loss here.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Is it normally powered by an ac adapter?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Nah, you just plug a USB into it and go to town.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Have you tried plugging it into your computer to check if it's working normally?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Finally we get folders, I organized my VC games by system, and colored them by what colored buttons that particular system's controller had. NES got red and SNES got purple.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I made folders for Mario, Metroid, Mega Man, Zelda, Kirby, Castlevania, NES Misc, SNES Misc, GBA Misc, 1st Party Retail, 1st Party eShop, 3rd Party Retail, 3rd Party eShop, and VOD. Character folders are in chronological order, other ones are in alphabetical order.

Also holy poo poo this thing boots fast now.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kabanaw posted:

Have you tried plugging it into your computer to check if it's working normally?

A smart person would have done that first. For now when I plug it in it doesn't get picked up by my computer but I'm not sure if that's because the Wii U formatted it or not.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kaubocks posted:

A smart person would have done that first. For now when I plug it in it doesn't get picked up by my computer but I'm not sure if that's because the Wii U formatted it or not.

It should still show up in Disk Management in Windows (right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management) regardless of its filesystem. Windows should also do the "USB connected" noise. If it does neither, then...yeah.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
For the record, Nintendo only recommends hard drives with an external power supply. They specifically state you shouldn't use the usb y cables or flash drives. The reasons that they give as to why you shouldn't are pretty weak sauce though.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

kirbysuperstar posted:

It should still show up in Disk Management in Windows (right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management) regardless of its filesystem. Windows should also do the "USB connected" noise. If it does neither, then...yeah.

Yeah, if windows doesn't see it it's hard to say exactly what's wrong but it's pretty easy to say something's probably irreparably broken.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'll check it sometime tomorrow then. Thanks!

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Holy gently caress - Tropical Freeze is brutal.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Ended up biting and grabbing Tropical Freeze in time, $30 is just too good a price. I liked Returns and hearing that most believe this game to be an improvement has me excited for this download to finish.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Tropical Freeze is nice and tough, but sometimes I'll fall into a groove of doing something the wrong way in a level and it's extra infuriating.

Or it would be, if the combination of the excellent music/visuals did not make me feel like I was playing a cartoon. If that sale is still on I highly recommend you grab it if you like platformers at all. 30 bucks (US) is probably as low as it's gonna go for quite a while.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Smash sale has been awesome, I've unfortunately missed a couple things I wanted to get. I wonder how successful it's been?

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Thanks to the Smash Sale I've got way too many Virtual Console games to play through now.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Why must sales always occur when I'm broke? :argh:

Did manage to snag Pikmin 3 for cheap though.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Aw crap, is the only way to buy eShop games through their respective consoles? I'm picking up a Wii U later this month (after rent and bills are dealt with) but I want Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong while they're on sale. Am I out of luck?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think there's anything you can do. Nintendo UK has an online store where you can buy some eShop stuff but unfortunately they never update it and it doesn't take sales into account

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/home.dept

Also they've somehow managed to be sold out of digital downloads of Hyrule Warriors

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
I ended up with a bit of a back log, I've just put up a review for Art of Balance Wii U: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn4lE62BI4I

tl;dr - it's better than the other versions, it's worth buying if you like puzzles.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I hope you guys are filling out your club nintendo surveys correctly, because I sure as hell am not. I think "asdf" has been my most common response to the text fields, and everything else is random. As if I'm going to fill out 4 or 5 back to back surveys honestly.

I just wish the available rewards would cycle over more frequently.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Civil posted:

I hope you guys are filling out your club nintendo surveys correctly, because I sure as hell am not. I think "asdf" has been my most common response to the text fields, and everything else is random. As if I'm going to fill out 4 or 5 back to back surveys honestly.

My favourite is the "why did you purchase this game?" box, my answers make me seem like I'm living with some kind of serious mental disorder. They range from "I'm a long time fan of the series" to ones like "fUN" and "GOTTA GO FAST".

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I answer Club Nintendo surveys honestly and completely so they can use my opinion to improve their products and services :shobon:

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Civil posted:

I tried to be informative at first but now it's all just slight variations on "it's fun/it looked fun".

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

codenameFANGIO posted:

I answer Club Nintendo surveys honestly and completely so they can use my opinion to improve their products and services :shobon:

Same. Every time I complete a virtual console survey for 3DS I ask for remappable controls. Every time I complete a survey for Wii U VC I point out how satisfied I am with that one.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I ask for cross platform for 3DS and Wii U and SNES games for 3DS on my VC game surveys.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

13/f/cali posted:

Same. Every time I complete a virtual console survey for 3DS I ask for remappable controls. Every time I complete a survey for Wii U VC I point out how satisfied I am with that one.

If it's something I'm happy Nintendo did then yeh I also try to wangle my comment to get them to do it more.

Probably would be smarter to put my age as 14 or something if I want it to carry more weight...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's mostly just variations on 'Where is Groose?' on mine.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

codenameFANGIO posted:

I do as well, and also I make sure any comments I leave are actually related to the questions presented. For example, I will mention on every question about the Virtual Console service that I am displeased with it and that I wish it was better in terms of number of titles released a week or expansion into other platforms. And if I buy a game that's on sale, I will mention that the sale had an influence in my purchasing decision and recommend that they have sales more often. I assume most people fill out their survey as if they're writing an angry disjointed rant on 4chan, though.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I always tell them that I want more games and systems on the VC. I figure if enough people bitch maybe they'll listen.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think there's anything you can do. Nintendo UK has an online store where you can buy some eShop stuff but unfortunately they never update it and it doesn't take sales into account

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/home.dept

Also they've somehow managed to be sold out of digital downloads of Hyrule Warriors

Agh, that sucks. Okay, thanks for the info!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's mostly just variations on 'Where is Groose?' on mine.

I used to write "Please stop region locking your products" but now I'm writing "Where are Groose and Tingle?"

Where are they, Tecmo Koei. Where is Tingle. WHERE ARE MY SECRET WORDS

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
The only thing I put in there of substance is my displeasure with the muted colors on the NES VC titles.

Seriously, whoever made that decision is an absolute fool, and anyone who supported that decision was a coward.

Boss: "Let's make the game look worse that it actually is, because that's what it was like on a 50 year old TV technology that's obsolete because no one likes how it looks."

Idiot coward yes men: "Another round of genius! Can I keep my job?"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Some of them are just me Ctrl+V-ing "VC AMOUNT BAD" into like every text box.

CREATE TRUE INTER-SYSTEM ACCOUNT YOU BAD NINTENDO MAN :arghfist:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I feel like companies spend all this money on customer surveys and do one of two things with them:

1. Ignore all the criticism and view the good ones as validation that they are doing everything correctly. "90% of users rated us as 'great' or better!"

2. Cherry pick the ones that align with what they want to change and use it to bolster the decisions they were going to make regardless of the surveys. "Social media is where the market is going. 25% of users saw something about us on social media, therefore we should focus our time and money on facebook."

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I put "Because it's loving zelda/mario" in why I bought it and "Buy a new marketing team with my money" in all the other boxes

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The lack of Virtual Console titles is really weird because fanboys are basically begging to stuff money in Nintendo's pockets and they're like "Nah, we're good."

Fremry posted:

I feel like companies spend all this money on customer surveys and do one of two things with them:

1. Ignore all the criticism and view the good ones as validation that they are doing everything correctly. "90% of users rated us as 'great' or better!"

2. Cherry pick the ones that align with what they want to change and use it to bolster the decisions they were going to make regardless of the surveys. "Social media is where the market is going. 25% of users saw something about us on social media, therefore we should focus our time and money on facebook."

If it's anything like the survey work I've done they actually use the quantitative data, but for the open-ended text boxes some poor guy reads through everything, sorts it out and and does a little write-up that his bosses completely ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

TheRam posted:

My favourite is the "why did you purchase this game?" box, my answers make me seem like I'm living with some kind of serious mental disorder. They range from "I'm a long time fan of the series" to ones like "fUN" and "GOTTA GO FAST".

Mine are pretty much all "fan of the series/heard it was good" + "it was on sale"

• Locked thread