Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Perplx posted:

glass can never be good because its a camera strapped to your face that may or may not be recording other people, other people find that creepy

if it was just a hud it could be ok

no even ignoring the camera its super distracting, you assume they arent paying attention to you

mlmp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
are you allowed to wear google glass whilst driving

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

are you allowed to wear google glass whilst driving

not in ontario

e: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/right-click/google-glass-earns-woman-ticket-while-driving-151349578.html

what amazes me is that literally all civilized jurisdictions have a law that says "it is an offense to drive a car on a highway when you're not paying attention to what you're loving doing" and yet we feel the need to bolt more "new" laws onto the side of a perfectly good act

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

well a lot of entitled fagotrons think that just because their toy is shiny and new, that it exists in some ungovernable frontier and that has to be specifically addressed because said people are easily butthurt and litigious

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

well a lot of entitled fagotrons think that just because their toy is shiny and new, that it exists in some ungovernable frontier and that has to be specifically addressed because said people are easily butthurt and litigious

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

except for the "fagotron" part, although i'm now imagining a gigantic robot built by the Gay Conspiracy to conquer the United States of Heteromerica.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

changing my username to entitled faggotron as we speak

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

icantfindaname posted:

congrats u finally found it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

except for the "fagotron" part, although i'm now imagining a gigantic robot built by the Gay Conspiracy to conquer the United States of Heteromerica.

I'd buy that

also I can use the f word don't think I'm being homophobically heteronormative straight cis prejudiced

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

just calling out my own discomfort to assuage that stupid loving moral center in my bain, no worries

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

icantfindaname posted:

"fagotron" is funnier. it reads like "fag-o-tron"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

just calling out my own discomfort to assuage that stupid loving moral center in my bain, no worries

mitt romney just outed himself :wotwot:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'm rich!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
faygotron

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

icantfindaname posted:

faggotron and miss dildocatte

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

prefect posted:

"fagotron" is funnier. it reads like "fag-o-tron"

the other one's more like "my name is ron and i am an edgy homosexual"

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

dazjw posted:

can you explain this slowly like i'm someone who's only ever driven on two lane roads

code:
Three lanes expanding to four then a junction splitting into 2+2 lanes:

/ / /
                   +---/ / /
-- __ ------------/ ----/ /
 _| =\__  -----------====/------
/o____o_\ ----------------------
--------------------------------
The Grand Army of the Republic Highway:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4165635,-73.4305788,3a,75y,81.96h,73.52t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sodG8CBmDbwzNL5VXF8duZQ!2e0

Somewhere else there are junctions that fork to the right, i.e.

code:
-- __ --------------------------
 _| =\__  ----------------------
/o____o_\ ------------====\-----
-------------------\ ----- \
                    +---\ \ \
                         \ \ \
                          \ \ \
So it is not obvious which is the second lane from the left (out of four lanes).

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 1, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

flakeloaf posted:

the other one's more like "my name is ron and i am an edgy homosexual"

there was a guy who legally changed his name to "luke sissyfag"

i think i'm just a sucker for suffixes like -o-tron and -o-rama

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

prefect posted:

i think i'm just a sucker
confirmed

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the little post office by me has a 2 year wait list for po boxes wtf and the little bank has same w/ safe deposit boxes. epic fail

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Smythe posted:

the little post office by me has a 2 year wait list for po boxes wtf and the little bank has same w/ safe deposit boxes. epic fail

mailboxes etc

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i like the post office. its official smelling

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
theres also the main branch that doesnt have a waitlist but its not as cute, and, hell, there aren't as many babes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Smythe posted:

i like seeing the insane people outside protesting the black president

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Smythe posted:

same

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

what else smells official smythe?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

what else smells official smythe?

court house. federal building.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

e: nah

in a well actually fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 1, 2014

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew1sC-qCyqI

yelp and others are ramping up the PR battle against google in europe which owns cause it takes the wind out of the sails of ppl trying to say its just europe attacking american tech companies

http://searchengineland.com/consortium-including-yelp-uses-google-algoritm-204577

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Last Chance posted:

lol i had no idea that google's lovely answer to lovely apps on their lovely app store was to force businesses to publicly post their mailing address. that's pretty funny

thats actually their answer to avoiding consumer protection lawsuits, chief

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

MrMoo posted:

code:
Three lanes expanding to four then a junction splitting into 2+2 lanes:

/ / /
                   +---/ / /
-- __ ------------/ ----/ /
 _| =\__  -----------====/------
/o____o_\ ----------------------
--------------------------------
The Grand Army of the Republic Highway:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4165635,-73.4305788,3a,75y,81.96h,73.52t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sodG8CBmDbwzNL5VXF8duZQ!2e0

Somewhere else there are junctions that fork to the right, i.e.

code:
-- __ --------------------------
 _| =\__  ----------------------
/o____o_\ ------------====\-----
-------------------\ ----- \
                    +---\ \ \
                         \ \ \
                          \ \ \
So it is not obvious which is the second lane from the left (out of four lanes).

thanks, your ascii art is now percolating in some google bugtracker somewhere

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

thats actually their answer to avoiding consumer protection lawsuits, chief

pretty lovely answer if you ask me

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

the computer isn't omniscient either, 200ms is still a very short amount of time for the sensors to get an accurate picture of the situation. just like trains and other already autonomous stuff the first reaction should always be to stop

this is why we're still a very long away from fully autonomous manned aircraft - when drones get confused they just crash. they crash a lot, even the fancy UAVs the USAF flies

I just caught up with this thread. There's a distinction between UAVs (where a human may be controlling the aircraft) and drones (where a computer most definitely is). A few years ago, UAVs passed an important milestone - not only are they now as safe as general aircraft, they're actually safer, even in a warzone. It will still be a while (a decade at least) before planes regularly land and take off autonomously, but large commercial planes can already autoland with zero visibility, and automatic takeoffs are on the horizon. In respects, it's easier to automate a plane than a car as you don't have to worry about construction, or nearly as much about traffic etc.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we're not going to have drone fighter aircraft because the air force needs people to be able to be fighter pilots otherwise nobody would sign up for their branch

I assume classified UAVs and drones are both vastly superior to manned aircraft at this point

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

I just caught up with this thread. There's a distinction between UAVs (where a human may be controlling the aircraft) and drones (where a computer most definitely is). A few years ago, UAVs passed an important milestone - not only are they now as safe as general aircraft, they're actually safer, even in a warzone. It will still be a while (a decade at least) before planes regularly land and take off autonomously, but large commercial planes can already autoland with zero visibility, and automatic takeoffs are on the horizon. In respects, it's easier to automate a plane than a car as you don't have to worry about construction, or nearly as much about traffic etc.

the main cause of airline crashes? pilots.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
why arent trains automated? they seem like a prime candidate, considering that no matter what the timetable is no train will occupy the same space

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

...pilots relying too much on automation

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

planes can auto land themselves, but if auto land is in use at major airports then their throughput is significantly slower. this is a reason why you get giant delays during poor weather. if you're in vmc you can use all your parallel runways, imc cat 3 conditions and you can only use one at a time

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

i want to get a quadcopter and fly it into the tail rotor of a police helicopter then post the video to youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

oh and planes can only auto land at airports with cat 3 ils capability, otherwise the pilot is required to be in control at 200 ft. cat 3 ils systems are loving expensive and are installed at major hubs but lower traffic airpots still only have cat 1 or cat 2 ils systems. faa wanted to expand all this but that costs money so congress said to go gently caress themselves

• Locked thread