Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also, remember that Doocy is a weatherman, so he should be familiar with this magical temperature checking wands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Fox must screen for some untapped reserve of control in their guests for them not to flip out and start attacking Doocy when he pulls this poo poo.

Yeah, if it were me I don't think I could avoid going "Frankly Steve, you can't trust me. But we're the only ones with a secret cure so America better prepare itself for the coming Caliphate if they want to live. Allah be praised!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you like not having Ebola, you can keep not having Ebola.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
"Hey Doocey, bend over a little and I'll show you how we take accurate temperatures"

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Forty? Meet my something-great aunt who ran off with Joseph Smith. She was a suffragette. She corresponded with Susan B. Anthony. She ran for Senate.
Oh, and she was a huge proponent of polygamy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmeline_B._Wells

quote:

Wells became an early advocate of women's rights, writing under the name "Blanche Beechwood" for the Woman's Exponent. "I believe in women, especially thinking women," she wrote. Wells was chief editor of the Women's Exponent newspaper for 37 years, beginning in 1877. In addition to reporting news of the Mormon Women's Relief Society, she used the publication to support woman suffrage and educational and economic opportunities for women. As editor, she became known for her executive talents and her superb memory.

Wells was active in the national women's suffrage movement, where she served as liaison between Mormon and non-Mormon women and fielded hostile criticism associated with the practice of polygamy. On the national level, she was closely associated with both Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony. For nearly thirty years she represented Utah women in the National Woman Suffrage Association and the National and International Councils of Women. Beginning in 1879, with her attendance at a suffrage convention in Washington, D.C., Wells acted as a lobbyist for Utah interests. She met congressmen and presidents and addressed the issues of polygamy and women's suffrage from the Utah woman's point of view. Wells was also involved in the ultimately successful effort to restore suffrage to Utah women in the 1896 Utah state constitution. In 1899, Wells was invited by the International Council of Women to speak in London as a representative of the United States.

Beginning in 1879, Wells advocated that women be granted the right to hold office in Utah Territory. In 1878, she had turned down a nomination for Salt Lake County Treasurer from the People's Party because women were not eligible to hold office in the territory. In 1879 she, along with Sarah M. Kimball, urged Governor George Emery to support women holding office, which he declined, and in 1880 she was the leading force involved in convincing Charles W. Penrose to introduce legislation to grant women the ability to hold office.[5]

In 1893 Wells was elected president of the Utah Territorial Women's Suffrage Association.[6]

After Utah gained statehood, Wells did run for election. In a much publicized election, the 66-year-old Wells stood as one of several "at large" Republican candidates for state senator from Salt Lake County. Martha Hughes Cannon, a physician and former employee at the Women's Exponent, was one of five Democrats running for the office. On November 3, 1896, Cannon defeated the field, and became the first woman ever elected as a state senator in the United States.

She believed that polygamy enabled the family to have one wife to do the housework and take care of the children, freeing the first wife up for intellectual pursuits.
It's an interesting commentary on how much we owe to labor saving devices of the modern era.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 1, 2014

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Warcabbit posted:

Forty? Meet my something-great aunt who ran off with Joseph Smith. She was a suffragette. She corresponded with Susan B. Anthony. She ran for Senate.
Oh, and she was a huge proponent of polygamy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmeline_B._Wells

She believed that polygamy enabled the family to have one wife to do the housework and take care of the children, freeing the first wife up for intellectual pursuits.
It's an interesting commentary on how much we owe to labor saving devices of the modern era.

Yes, uh, the article talks about that. :confused:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

this left out the part where most of them self-identify as conservative or very conservative iirc

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I left out a whole bunch actually!!!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

who are the ladies who post on r/mensrights

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

who are the ladies who post on r/mensrights

Liars.

Seriously nothing irritates me more than mras.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

what about millenials or people who take selfies

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

I left out a whole bunch actually!!!

What are "paper abortion" and "male disposability"? Though I think I learned how to make paper abortions in elementary school arts and crafts.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
selfie is the dumbest goddamn word and I hate it

did the term even exist before Mandela's funeral?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Way less. I get seriously het up when I see some dude whining about false rape.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

What are "paper abortion" and "male disposability"? Though I think I learned how to make paper abortions in elementary school arts and crafts.

The first is where you sign a legal document opting out of fatherhood.

I'm assuming the latter is where all the women decide en masse that men are unnecessary and do away with us all and IVF eachother and live in lesbian paradise forever (lesbian paradise is also my paradise :mmmhmm: )

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

The Warszawa posted:

Never heard of paper abortions, but male disposability refers to the idea that the lifes of men are valued less and it is considered acceptable to put them in dangerous situations. (i.e. "Women and children first", "There have been x victims, 3 being women and children", Focus on female victims of crime and war, etc)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

selfie is the dumbest goddamn word and I hate it

did the term even exist before Mandela's funeral?

are you serious

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Randler posted:

Never heard of paper abortions, but male disposability refers to the idea that the lifes of men are valued less and it is considered acceptable to put them in dangerous situations. (i.e. "Women and children first", "There have been x victims, 3 being women and children", Focus on female victims of crime and war, etc)

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Badger of Basra posted:

are you serious

i am completely out of touch with modern life fyi

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

The first is where you sign a legal document opting out of fatherhood.

I'm assuming the latter is where all the women decide en masse that men are unnecessary and do away with us all and IVF eachother and live in lesbian paradise forever (lesbian paradise is also my paradise :mmmhmm: )

I thought you could relinquish parental rights to custody and such pretty easily, it just doesn't abrogate liability for support payments. Oh wait it all makes sense now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm shocked that sperm jacking isn't under there.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

I thought you could relinquish parental rights to custody and such pretty easily, it just doesn't abrogate liability for support payments. Oh wait it all makes sense now.

There are serious issues which require MRAs. Like when a man is raped while underage and then ordered to pay child support.

However, most MRAs aren't about radical equality between the sexes.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

I'm shocked that sperm jacking isn't under there.

This is one of those rabbit holes I'm going to regret going down, isn't it?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

The Warszawa posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

You know that ep of The Good Wife where Recurring Psychopath guy knocks up the Chick from Firefly because he gave her an oral "gift" and she turkey bastered it in her self?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

You know that ep of The Good Wife where Recurring Psychopath guy knocks up the Chick from Firefly because he gave her an oral "gift" and she turkey bastered it in her self?

Hahahaha Colin Sweeney as the face of MRA issues.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

You were right. Tell your sister ... you were right.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

95% listed as atheist/agnostic, 5% support "homosexual marriage." This just raises so many more questions.

For whatever reason, I was under the impression that lgbt-related issues (or gbt-related, anyway :v:) were one of the things they nominally supported when it was rhetorically convenient.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Androc posted:

95% listed as atheist/agnostic, 5% support "homosexual marriage." This just raises so many more questions.

Not really, no.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 1, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

zoux posted:

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

No. :colbert:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Honest question, I'm wondering if Joementum has ever been on Charlie Rose

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

zoux posted:

Lol I remember that and thinking at the time that they were deliberately connecting crazy psychopaths with the concept of spermjacking

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The situation where a dude is raped then forced to pay child support has more to do with making sure the kid has, well, support than as a way of punishment, at least in theory. Of course, it's still lovely and the only way I can see avoiding that is some kind of minimum income.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

The situation where a dude is raped then forced to pay child support has more to do with making sure the kid has, well, support than as a way of punishment, at least in theory. Of course, it's still lovely and the only way I can see avoiding that is some kind of minimum income.

It's also utterly minuscule in comparison to the number and impact of men raping women so when you are trying to talk about sexual violence against women and some fat virgin is like "ahem men also get raped" in like the nerdiest nasal voice imaginable they are not trying to contribute in good faith.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

It's also utterly minuscule in comparison to the number and impact of men raping women so when you are trying to talk about sexual violence against women and some fat virgin is like "ahem men also get raped" in like the nerdiest nasal voice imaginable they are not trying to contribute in good faith.

The appropriate response isn't to say "shutup its not an issue," its to acknowledge the concern and put in place adequate protections for victims of all rape.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I work for child support. Not aware of this particular situation occurring, but there would be ways around it. If there was a court case and conviction, then the rapist would (hopefully) be sent to jail. Then the mother would not have custody while incarcerated and not legally be entitled to receive support. If a relative or the mother applied for support or public assistance the father could ask the case be closed for what we refer to as "administrative good cause." The custodian could still get cash from the state so the child is supported but we wouldn't go after dad for it.

Now if there was no court case it would be more difficult. Theoretically he could still ask for good cause, and get it granted if he could get a protective order against the woman. But since our justice system is so lovely for rape victims of either gender that might not happen :smith:

My Imaginary GF posted:

The appropriate response isn't to say "shutup its not an issue," its to acknowledge the concern and put in place adequate protections for victims of all rape.
Yeah, basically this. Rape is awful and the system is biased against victims regardless of gender.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Guys theres an actual mainstream republican in the Illinois polithread.

E:

SubponticatePoster posted:

I work for child support. Not aware of this particular situation occurring, but there would be ways around it. If there was a court case and conviction, then the rapist would (hopefully) be sent to jail. Then the mother would not have custody while incarcerated and not legally be entitled to receive support. If a relative or the mother applied for support or public assistance the father could ask the case be closed for what we refer to as "administrative good cause." The custodian could still get cash from the state so the child is supported but we wouldn't go after dad for it.

Now if there was no court case it would be more difficult. Theoretically he could still ask for good cause, and get it granted if he could get a protective order against the woman. But since our justice system is so lovely for rape victims of either gender that might not happen :smith:

Yeah, basically this. Rape is awful and the system is biased against victims regardless of gender.

The case I heard about was on this american life. Man raped while underage, was urged not to report it, teacher gets pregnant, 5 years later files for public assistance and man, in college at the age of 20, is completely unaware and gets hit with child support payments.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 1, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have a friend in jail right now for failure to pay child support. And he works seven days a week and he still couldn't make payments. After he gets out he's going to have to go live with his parents for the forseeable future. So I know how illogical and punitive child support requirements can be.

However, people use the above and other things to completely minimize the gulf between male and female privilege. The problem isn't that "men's rights" are being ignored, it's that any discussion of feminism on the internet gets hijacked by the #notallmen brigade.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Guys theres an actual mainstream republican in the Illinois polithread.

linx0rz

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

I have a friend in jail right now for failure to pay child support. And he works seven days a week and he still couldn't make payments. After he gets out he's going to have to go live with his parents for the forseeable future. So I know how illogical and punitive child support requirements can be.

However, people use the above and other things to completely minimize the gulf between male and female privilege. The problem isn't that "men's rights" are being ignored, it's that any discussion of feminism on the internet gets hijacked by the #notallmen brigade.

linx0rz

I'm in complete agreement with 2nd wave feminism (thats the one for radical gender equality in all issues, correct?). Does that make me an internet mysoginist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

There are serious issues which require MRAs. Like when a man is raped while underage and then ordered to pay child support.
lol get the gently caress out

• Locked thread