Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cyberventurer posted:

I'm probably reading waaaay too much into a videogame story, but I think each of Manus's "daughters" embody some type of human emotion or want. Alsanna's is fear, and probably went there to feed off of it. But when she met the king, he made her feel safe and freed her from her own fear, so now she wants to honor his memory by keeping the realm of chaos contained even though there's really nobody left. The few times she tries to tell you to leave, it's out of trying to keep you from being hurt.

Alsanna tells you that she was made out of Manus's fear, so that seems about right. Also she thinks the Ivory King probably figured out immediately what she was and didn't care. She seems more concerned with keeping you from unleashing the Old Chaos at first, though. Nashandra would be ambition I guess.

Since the Bed of Chaos survived DS1 somehow I want to think that Nito did too.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nashandra is want.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Nashandra is want.

All four of them want though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think I am equipped to deal with how lovely an area Frigid Wastes is. I can reach the boss no problem at this point, but it's like someone made a game jam that was just about creating a lovely level in a Souls game and this one is the grand champion of all loving time, holy poo poo. Literally the only way it could be worse would be if the cold did damage over time.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

Vendrick had his own Ironclads. The Old Ironclads in FoFG are different from the ones in Iron Keep, and there's an inanimate statue of an Ironclad in Drangleic Castle. There's also Ruin Sentinels in Drangleic Castle's basement and Alonne Knight Captains manning its walls. The mammoth guys may be creations of the Gyrm or Pharros, and there are soul-animating golems in Eleum Loyce. I don't think these things just randomly started serving Vendrick because he asked nicely, I think he discovered the secret to making them himself and made his own versions, copying designs used in the past.

Otherwise there's no explanation for Ironclads being in one of Vendrick's forts a bazillion miles from the lands of the Old Iron King.

Ya but like all of those things were created before the golems appeared. The golems are a specific kind of creepy soul art, whereas the ruin sentinels and ironclads are another. The golems came from vendrick pillaging the Giants.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think I am equipped to deal with how lovely an area Frigid Wastes is. I can reach the boss no problem at this point, but it's like someone made a game jam that was just about creating a lovely level in a Souls game and this one is the grand champion of all loving time, holy poo poo. Literally the only way it could be worse would be if the cold did damage over time.

They actually were considering that but reneged on it when they realized how punishing that would be.

You know I hate the frozen outskirts as much as anyone else, but I have to say, when I stubbornly went through it alone I think I was never more on-edge in a Souls game than I was in there. Constantly terrified in wait of a lovely horse.

I had more trouble with the boss than the area itself because my dude was uniquely poorly suited to fight them.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So if I'm softbanned, should I be able to connect to my friend who is also softbanned? Is that how it works?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I just ran. Just running does work, the horses can keep up with you but you can sorta juke them. It's definitely not a fun area to explore, but in fairness to From, it's intended to be a co-op area. So maybe it should kind of suck to do solo. I think it's more engaging than the other two challenge routes anyway, it has a gimmick that isn't just "lovely enemy gauntlet."

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Finally went ahead and fought the Old Ivory King. That was a neat fight, can't complain too much about it. I don't intend to do the soul grind, though, that sounds insane. I'm pretty happy with the DLC as a whole, I mostly just think the Frigid Outskirts is complete garbage; if it did have the freezing cold damage you like they originally planned, it would honestly have every single thing I hate about the area design in these games.

The curse-breaking effect of the crowns once you collect all four of them is neat, too, but it's not enough to get me to actually wear one. Considering pretty much the entire reason I bother with the RoLP is to prevent myself from losing the ~800k souls I have on my person at all times, it's not enough to free up a ring slot.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
My best guess is that the storm deer each have their own area which triggers their appearance during blizzards. I managed to cause some to go extinct by carefully going the same route every time. The real fucker is that towards the end there is some kind of double trigger causing two at once to appear. If you hug the very right hand wall then the triggers don't seem to overlap perfectly allowing you to take them on one at a time. Its easier to reach the precipice this way which seems to act as some sort of safe zone and stops the blizzards, at least as long as there are no already active storm deer.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

All four of them want though.

Aslanna talks about what Nashandra wanted I think? Or maybe it was Vendrick.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

King of Solomon posted:

The curse-breaking effect of the crowns once you collect all four of them is neat, too, but it's not enough to get me to actually wear one. Considering pretty much the entire reason I bother with the RoLP is to prevent myself from losing the ~800k souls I have on my person at all times, it's not enough to free up a ring slot.

Why don't you just spend the souls?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The king's greatsword or whatever it is you make with Vendrick's soul scales based on how many souls you have on hand. It's probably that.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The worst part about this place isn't the blindness or the horses, it the fact that you don't even have a general clue where the gently caress you're supposed to go. It's just a big empty void.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Flytrap posted:

The worst part about this place isn't the blindness or the horses, it the fact that you don't even have a general clue where the gently caress you're supposed to go. It's just a big empty void.

You can use the sun for positioning, that's what it's there.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

kazil posted:

Why don't you just spend the souls?

I don't really want to level up, mostly. Buying out shops isn't super interesting, and wouldn't bring it down too significantly.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

King of Solomon posted:

I don't really want to level up, mostly. Buying out shops isn't super interesting, and wouldn't bring it down too significantly.

If you're not gonna spend them, why do you care if you lose them?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Huzzah! posted:

If you're not gonna spend them, why do you care if you lose them?

Having a large chunk of souls on-hand in case you decide to run a new build and want to upgrade equipment is useful. I spend the souls when I decide to try something new, but most of the time...eh.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You could fully upgrade most weapons from base level in well under 15k.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Genocyber posted:

You can use the sun for positioning, that's what it's there.

Oh boy, that helps so much in this giant empty hallway!

Seriously, that was obnoxiously bad level design. I mean goddamn, whoever came up with that idea needs to remove himself from society because he has given up the right to consider himself a thinking human being. Thank God the bossfight was piss easy though, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered giving it a second try.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Manatee Cannon posted:

You could fully upgrade most weapons from base level in well under 15k.

Having a huge chunk of souls lets me purchase upgrade materials. No need to bellbro or run the Dragon Aerie or anything. I'm actually pretty disappointed that completing the DLC didn't let you purchase infinite sources of twinkling, dragon bones, and slabs. It's not hard to grind for them, but the point is to avoid doing future grinding!

Also I occasionally upgrade armor as well, because why not

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Then why not just buy a bunch of chunks or whatever at once to cut that step out? The more you talk about this the less I understand your position.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Oh boy, that helps so much in this giant empty hallway!

Seriously, that was obnoxiously bad level design. I mean goddamn, whoever came up with that idea needs to remove himself from society because he has given up the right to consider himself a thinking human being. Thank God the bossfight was piss easy though, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered giving it a second try.

The design itself is actually quite good. A vast expanse of nothing, with only a few landmarks to mark your path, constantly assaulted by dangerous enemies. Pretty cool. The issue is that you have to do it every time you want to challenge the boss, and even if you run it takes quite a bit to get to the boss. Add in a few more buildings scattered about for shelter, and put a bonfire by the boss fog, and it'd be a fantastic area.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh jeez, and the rewards for this impossibly lovely level is...

An okay greatsword and a crappy shield.

Jesus Christ...

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I'm not a huge fan of the outskirts either, but what I find most annoying about is that I actually really like the reindeer enemies and wish they had been used elsewhere. Ideally somewhere where you could, you know, see them, because they look really cool.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I tested both lovely co op areas solo and I"m like that ain't that bad.

This however.

Holy loving poo poo From. What the gently caress.

Seriously those lighting horses are bullshit as gently caress. I just got destroyed by 3, and I wasn't even going forward to run away. I killed one, and the other shows up immediately and then two more came in. WORST area ever.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Flytrap posted:

Oh jeez, and the rewards for this impossibly lovely level is...

An okay greatsword and a crappy shield.

Jesus Christ...

If you're talking about the Loyce Greatsword it actually owns pretty hard; it goes up to a very high S dex scaling at +5 which more than compensates for its low base damage. The 2hand moveset is unique and very good.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I gotta say, I'm pretty underwhelmed. The level design was good and I liked the bosses even if they weren't very challenging unlike Raime and Alonne, but a lot of stuff fell flat. The drop rates are still bad, Frozen Outskirts is the absolutely shittiest level in the Souls series, and the DLC answered none of the major questions anyone had about the story.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

SunAndSpring posted:

I gotta say, I'm pretty underwhelmed. The level design was good and I liked the bosses even if they weren't very challenging unlike Raime and Alonne, but a lot of stuff fell flat. The drop rates are still bad, Frozen Outskirts is the absolutely shittiest level in the Souls series, and the DLC answered none of the major questions anyone had about the story.

Another season of DLC really would be a welcome sight. I want more lore :(

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Most of the important lore stuff has already been answered so

Not to mention who gives a poo poo about that, lore is secondary to everything else.

And Lud and Zallen are definitely way harder than Raime, let alone Alonne.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Not to mention who gives a poo poo about that, lore is secondary to everything else.

Lud and Zallen are easy as poo poo so long as you're using a weapon of any actual worth. The first one was dead before the second could even finish his waking animation.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

I would say they're easier than Alonne. At least with them you do have chances to heal if you haven't stacked Adaptability. Alonne punishes you as soon as you press the heal button.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Lud and Zallen are easy as poo poo so long as you're using a weapon of any actual worth. The first one was dead before the second could even finish his waking animation.

No they're not. The first takes a while to kill even with the best damage output, and you don't really get any chances to do more than one attack since he will immediately counter-attack with a paw swipe. Not to mention he massive hitboxes all their attacks have.

Fibby Boy posted:

I would say they're easier than Alonne. At least with them you do have chances to heal if you haven't stacked Adaptability. Alonne punishes you as soon as you press the heal button.

Alonne is easy as poo poo. Literally all you have to do is stay close and circle to the right. Most of his attacks will straight up miss, and he'll have to jump away to use his dashing attacks. This also gives you plenty of time to heal.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Lud and Zallen always gave me times to take sips of my Sunny D, whereas Alonne and Raime (or at least phase one Raime) would beat my rear end if they caught me taking a drink. That and they had more health; I beat the gently caress out of the Ivory King in about 20 hits with my Large Club, whereas Raime and Alonne took a beating before they went down.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Does anyone know if the Charred Loyce Greatsword's fire scaling gets better if you upgrade it or how much the scaling increases if you fire infuse it?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Lud and Zallen always gave me times to take sips of my Sunny D, whereas Alonne and Raime (or at least phase one Raime)

When you have just a single one you can get away with Estus, but two nope. And both Alonne and Raime (in both phases) give you a ton of opportunities to heal since they both have a ton of cooldown after certain attack combinations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It only took me three tries to beat the tigers. I got Raime first try, but probably failed in phantoming against him a dozen times.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Genocyber posted:

No they're not. The first takes a while to kill even with the best damage output, and you don't really get any chances to do more than one attack since he will immediately counter-attack with a paw swipe. Not to mention he massive hitboxes all their attacks have.

Alonne is easy as poo poo. Literally all you have to do is stay close and circle to the right. Most of his attacks will straight up miss, and he'll have to jump away to use his dashing attacks. This also gives you plenty of time to heal.

Yes they are, a dark weapon'd chime hammer does about 800 damage per swing and will melt him in about 8 hits, and you have about two swings a time since he only does the occasional single attack for negligible damage. The only time either of them did any meaningful damage was when the second one went super saiyan, but he only got one hit since he's more predictable than a mook in the FoFG.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

I've went through all the dlc's on my dual shield guy and Alonne kicked my rear end in far more time than the tigers. Also you get plenty of opportunities to hit them twice. I did it with my dual shields and they have one of the slowest attacks in game.

Alonne I'd try to hit, he dodge back and then swipe me. I raise up my flask during his jump and he immediately charges and kills me. Alonne was way harder.

Edit: Not counting all the times I died in the run up to the tigers I died about 10 times to them. Alonne made me his bitch for thirty fights easily.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Yes they are, a dark weapon'd chime hammer does about 800 damage per swing and will melt him in about 8 hits, and you have about two swings a time since he only does the occasional single attack for negligible damage. The only time either of them did any meaningful damage was when the second one went super saiyan, but he only got one hit since he's more predictable than a mook in the FoFG.

No. Any time I tried to do two attacks when the cat was on cooldown he would counter with a swipe which I had no time to dodge. And said swipe does ~60% of my HP (so about 1200), hardly what I'd call negligible.