Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Booklegger posted:

Not that I'm condoning copy/paste from 1993, though.

I am, even though I don't like MtG at all. I really hope the court case goes their way because it should never be possible to patent or copyright game rules. So long as they make their own art and rename all the proper nouns etc it should absolutely be legal to publish exact game clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

my favourite part of hearthstone is the cards that do randomly distributed damage, sometimes even to your own troops

wait poo poo thats my least favourite part

yeah just don't play mad bomber and you'll be fine???

i guess don't play arcane missiles either but w/e that's kind of a minor quibble

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

The Narrator posted:

up until last night i've been terrified of agricola - i imagined it as this sprawling mess of a grognardy game. i watched rahdo's playthrough of it last night though and it looks pretty good. i've been wanting to get a good worker placement game because i think i dig the mechanic so might as well go with the classic right?

I taught my mother Agricola and she did pretty well. As long as farming is interesting to you then go for it.

Speaking of grognardy, is dominant species a good game? A euro / wargame evolution themed game is my poo poo. Are complaints about repetitive counting true? How easy is it teach relative to something like twilight struggle or Terra mystica?

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Gimnbo posted:

Not sure if that counterbalances the utter frustration of not being able to play the game if your deck doesn't cooperate.

It's being tolerant of an otherwise "bad" mechanic like player elimination in something short. Love Letter for instance.

I think I'm implying Netrunner games take too long.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

DS is pretty good, there's not that many rules, you just have to go through the list of action spaces.

It can take a while though, especially if anyone has problems with AP (it is a joke by the way, AP also stands for action pawn in dominant species).

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Hearthstone is boring garbage even without the RNG cards.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Lunsku posted:

Any time after 1993 more like. Even Richard Garfield didn't do it the next three years with Jyhad, Netrunner (or Battletech CCG iirc).

I'd guess the answer must be: because loving Cryptozoic.

Jyhad/VTES is so drat good and i get mad just thinking about how FFG isn't going to release it as an LCG.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

Hearthstone is boring garbage even without the RNG cards.

No ipad and still waiting on digital TS :shrug:

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
plz dont play hearthstone, its boring nerdbait poo poo, with even less decions per game than magic

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
hmm i could play this card now, or i could not play it it now. hmmmmmmmmm

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
i better give blizzard a fuckton of money so i can copy this decklist i found on the internet

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Is it fascism yet posted:

i better give blizzard a fuckton of money so i can copy this decklist i found on the internet

wiat you can spend money in hearthstone? free to play my rear end

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
i loving loathe hearthstone if only for one reason: it's a remake of the WoW TCG, but it replaced WoW's resource mechanic (which is actually kind of neat - once per turn you can play a card in your hand as a resource instead of what it would normally do) and went for that dumb rear end crystals poo poo

hearthstone is like magic except that they took white out to the only interesting part of the cards (the ability text box)

basically hearthstone is dumb

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

My least favorite thing in hearthstone is everything.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Yas posted:

I taught my mother Agricola and she did pretty well. As long as farming is interesting to you then go for it.

Speaking of grognardy, is dominant species a good game? A euro / wargame evolution themed game is my poo poo. Are complaints about repetitive counting true? How easy is it teach relative to something like twilight struggle or Terra mystica?

yeah it's good and easy to teach for such a deep game

be prepared for it to take a long drat time to play, even with people who don't need to think for a billion years on their turns

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

silvergoose posted:

wiat you can spend money in hearthstone? free to play my rear end

lmfao hearthstone is the most pay to win video game i've ever seen in my life

i went into the hs forum and was like "wtf is this poo poo" and the goons there were like "it's f2p! i only spent $500 but in theory i could have spent 28 literal years grinding gold to get this stuff"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

yeah I know I just play it free and mostly do the "draft" arena which I find enjoyable enough

anyway sorry I derailed us into talking about a lovely videogame, so how about them board games? anyone played bruxelles 1793?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I've never even heard of your Brussels sprouts game

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if anyone wants to play tragedy looper, well, i made a thing

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
needneedneedneedneedneedneedneedneedneedneedneedneedneedneedneed

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I'll totally play that if you ever run an online game, I'd like to try it before picking it up.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can zip up the images (which includes card backs/fronts, characters, locations, and the bottom meters) but I think you have to make the actual roll20 campaign yourself if you want to DM it. also it doesnt include anything like script info, but obviously if one of the players has that you dont need it. erring on the side of caution here.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Is Caylus a good 2p game?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Xom posted:

Is Caylus a good 2p game?

Caylus and Dungeon Lords are the only worker placements that aren't complete rear end in 2p.

It's a bonus that 2p Caylus is phenomenal.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

if anyone wants to play tragedy looper, well, i made a thing

gimmegimmegimme

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i would be up for a roll20 game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
im going to teach cuddlyzombie later, probably in like an hour, if two other people are interested. im going to mandate Mumble because this game would be hell to play over text chat, let alone teach. just post here and the first two people interested can play

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
8:30 EST if that wasnt clear

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i made it cooler

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Get backgrounds that match and I'll almost be able to look at it without vomiting.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
qq

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Turn your monitor on

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fuckkkk i missed it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
all the phoenix wright backgrounds are super tiny, theres no concept art for most of them

also ill probably try again tomorrow evening if youre around fungah

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sweet, i'll try to read the rules by then. may not be around but if i am that'd rule

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

drat, my game night's tomorrow. I wanna play this dang anime game instead.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
im actually free all day, i just gotta be done by ~11pm EST since im goin out to get Smash(ed) at midnight. if people want ot play earlier in the afternoon thats cool

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I'd be interested, dunno if Fungah could do it earlier.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

don't get home from work before 8 pm est, sorry. if more people want to play in the afternoon, i'll bow out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
i have to step out of the house for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon, but those aside i'd hit that like a white slave girl

• Locked thread