Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Cernunnos posted:

:drat:

Anyone who believes foreign language cards are worth more than a native language one deserves to be ripped off that badly.

I wish I could find some French cards. Apparently no one cares about French. :france:

Some people do: http://www.facetofacegames.com/catalog/magic_singles-time_spiral_block-future_sight/delay/1639

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So has anyone had any luck with mardu aggro or midrange decks or is control looking like the way to go for those colors? I can't decide which route to try first.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So has anyone had any luck with mardu aggro or midrange decks or is control looking like the way to go for those colors? I can't decide which route to try first.

Mardu Midrange did come in 2nd at the New Jersey SCG Open. Could start there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cernunnos posted:

:drat:

Anyone who believes foreign language cards are worth more than a native language one deserves to be ripped off that badly.

I wish I could find some French cards. Apparently no one cares about French. :france:

I love french cards because they're clumsily translated (as I suspect all the non-English cards are, but I actually speak french so these ones are funny to me) and for some reason ridiculously verbose. "Teysa, plénipotentiaire de fantômes" springs to mind.

I tried a low-cmc-leaning list with Bloodsoaked Champion, Rabblemaster, Mardu Ascendency and Butcher at the top of the curve, but the mana is really painful and the draws can be really inconsistent. I think mono-black just works better as far as aggro decks featuring Bloodsoaked champion go.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

Mardu Midrange did come in 2nd at the New Jersey SCG Open. Could start there.

Oh duh I forgot about that.

Aggro seems to inconsistent with three colors, I agree. I playtested an updated monoblack aggro against someones new temur monsters deck and won at least 75% of the games. It's just a very reliable curve and beatdown and booksoaked champ is great.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think Mogis's Marauder is secretly the most blow-out-ey 3-drop in the format right now.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

My favorite is that Sturmgeist had to be renamed in German since Storm Spirit was previously translated as Sturmgeist. Thus the birth of Unwettergeist.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

sarmhan posted:

My favorite is that Sturmgeist had to be renamed in German since Storm Spirit was previously translated as Sturmgeist. Thus the birth of Unwettergeist.

Didn't Immerwolf get previewed in German as Immerwolf and people were trying to figure out what the English name would be?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Entropic posted:

Didn't Immerwolf get previewed in German as Immerwolf and people were trying to figure out what the English name would be?
I'm imagining a world where "Always Wolf" was a printed Magic card. This is also proof that Wizards enjoy actively trolling their audience.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Does anyone know where to buy Italian/Spanish singles? Other than eBay of course.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

I think Mogis's Marauder is secretly the most blow-out-ey 3-drop in the format right now.

I used to be a doubter of that card, and now I run 4. If you can do back to back marauders on turns 3 and 4, you've probably won. That deck gained about as much as it lost and it's still really good. Grim haruspex might deserve a maindeck slot too.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

neetengie posted:

Does anyone know where to buy Italian/Spanish singles? Other than eBay of course.

Magiccardmarket.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Samael posted:

Magiccardmarket.
Euros only - so eBay's my only option then?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
If you log into your MODO, you get your Survival! :D

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So was my 'get in to magic' post poo poo or just not noteworthy? :(

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Entropic posted:

That's not a secret at all.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Newbies generally don't read the first post of the megathread cover-to-cover, in my experience. Better to let them get confused and ask questions.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Should I even try to build a sliver deck in standard. I think its doable, but probably not the best thing ever.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Xeom posted:

Should I even try to build a sliver deck in standard. I think its doable, but probably not the best thing ever.

Considering there's only 6 sliver creatures in Standard right now, I would say no.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Xeom posted:

You missed that actually almost decent Slivers boat.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Xeom posted:

Standard? No. Modern? Yes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I used to be a doubter of that card, and now I run 4. If you can do back to back marauders on turns 3 and 4, you've probably won. That deck gained about as much as it lost and it's still really good. Grim haruspex might deserve a maindeck slot too.

Grim hauspex doesn't deserve a maindeck slot just yet. It still a great card out of the sideboard though. Its really lackluster against the heavy green decks and they are everywhere.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Entropic posted:

I love french cards because they're clumsily translated (as I suspect all the non-English cards are, but I actually speak french so these ones are funny to me) and for some reason ridiculously verbose. "Teysa, plénipotentiaire de fantômes" springs to mind.

I tried a low-cmc-leaning list with Bloodsoaked Champion, Rabblemaster, Mardu Ascendency and Butcher at the top of the curve, but the mana is really painful and the draws can be really inconsistent. I think mono-black just works better as far as aggro decks featuring Bloodsoaked champion go.

:colbert:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I'll have to take a picture of my foil german Sparkspitter because no pictures exist online
http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=143977

:allears: german is a beautiful language

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Someone set my mind at ease, Nissa isn't actually worth $50, right? Will she eventually drop back down to something reasonable?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cernunnos posted:

You missed that actually almost decent Slivers boat.

I saw a Slither deck at a WMCQ a month or two back in super standard, beat an rear end in a top hat I know and put him on tilt until he dropped out 0-3. I gather the land leaned green for Mana weft , obviously he had Slither Hive and Confluence. I it was Naya just splashing blue for the flying one, the black ones probably weren't worth playing. I think it was actually pretty consistent in the end, but probably got picked apart by anything with black removal or sweepers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Alris posted:

Someone set my mind at ease, Nissa isn't actually worth $50, right? Will she eventually drop back down to something reasonable?

How expensive do nissa, rabble, and the few other rare cards from m15 make a box of m15 valueable enough to open? That is the question that needs to be asked.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I thought it was pretty drat good, though if you want my two cents it could have some more bolded bits as right now it looks a little... bland? Like, even just highlighting some keywords like the format names and the really super important bits for newbies to be drawn to. Also, maybe a little sentence at the end about what Rotation is?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

JerryLee posted:

On the list of sins a Magic card can commit, making people spend thirty seconds on their phone Googling an unfamiliar word is way, way, way down at the bottom.

On "bivouac," I can't actually think of how else one might pronounce it, other than maybe saying the first syllable as "bye" rather than "bih." On the other hand, given the ridiculous mispronunciations I've heard over the years from otherwise capable-seeming English speakers, I suppose I shouldn't underestimate people's creativity.

edit:

Attorney at Funk posted:

This leads me to wonder: which MTG player would be the least surprising murderer? My money's on Conley Woods.

Are you kidding? Bennie Smith in a walk. You know that guy has a freezer full of bodies somewhere already.

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 1, 2014

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Khans up in MTGO already, in a way - the preliminaries for Sunday's PTQ are being played with Khans.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I should start carrying glass beads to denote usage of lands and creatures. Good thing I play with lands up front so opponents can clearly see what has been used.

only if you use different colored beads of the same type for counters too

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Sarcastro posted:

On "bivouac," I can't actually think of how else one might pronounce it, other than maybe saying the first syllable as "bye" rather than "bih." On the other hand, given the ridiculous mispronunciations I've heard over the years from otherwise capable-seeming English speakers, I suppose I shouldn't underestimate people's creativity.

Calvary
You-borg
Geest of Saint Traft

:psyduck:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Can Deflecting Palm and the like work on burn spells where the damage is redirected to planeswalkers? Or must it be damage that, on resolution, hits you?

What is the point of the redirect rule for non-combat damage to walkers anyway?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Can Deflecting Palm and the like work on burn spells where the damage is redirected to planeswalkers? Or must it be damage that, on resolution, hits you?

Burn spells target you, not your walker, the choice to redirect to the 'walker is made after it resolves. So at the point you'll know who's getting burnt, you won't be able to cast Palm any more, because it will have happened.

Basically, yes, they do work on burn spells, technically? But you can never know if they're shooting you or your walker before casting Palm, if that was what you're asking. And the reason for the redirect rule is so that they wouldn't go and change however many "target player" effects for just damage from what I know. Also it sounds kinda cumbersome.

VV: Pretty much, yeah, that's exactly it. Thanks. :)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

The redirection can't be responded to right? Only the initial spell.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

BizarroAzrael posted:

It doesn't target, the damage is applied to the source's controller, so you can't redirect it to an opponent's planeswalker. However you can still deflecting palm damage that would be redirected to a planeswalker you control.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cactrot posted:

It doesn't target, the damage is applied to the source's controller, so you can't redirect it to an opponent's planeswalker. However you can still deflecting palm damage that would be redirected to a planeswalker you control.

Your opponent is going to get the option to push the point of "is my spell resolving" and you are left in the dark if the hot you or the plainswalker.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ΛΛ: They choose whether to shoot your or your walker after the spell is already resolving. Even if they say "Bolt your Tamiyo" as a shortcut to "Bolt you, if it resolves, hit Tamiyo", if you choose to respond with anything (even an unrelated effect), they are not bound by their Tamiyo choice. So any damage that Palm could see would happen to you, and be redirected appropriately (depending on how the replacement effects work, but I'll trust them on that, it's past 2am right now)

Cactrot posted:

It doesn't target, the damage is applied to the source's controller, so you can't redirect it to an opponent's planeswalker.

This is wrong, you absolutely can. You just redirect it as you would any noncombat damage effect.

The Comp Rules posted:

306.7. If noncombat damage would be dealt to a player by a source controlled by an opponent, that opponent may have that source deal that damage to a planeswalker the first player controls instead. This is a redirection effect (see rule 614.9) and is subject to the normal rules for ordering replacement effects (see rule 616). The opponent chooses whether to redirect the damage as the redirection effect is applied.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 2, 2014

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

Your opponent is going to get the option to push the point of "is my spell resolving" and you are left in the dark if the hot you or the plainswalker.

Okay I only got it half right, but this is specifically mentioned in the card notes.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=386516

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Deflecting Palm release notes:

quote:

* Deflecting Palm doesn’t target any creature or player. You choose a source of damage as Deflecting Palm resolves.
* If multiple prevention and/or replacement effects are trying to apply to the same damage, the player who would be dealt damage chooses the order in which to apply them. Notably, if noncombat damage would be dealt to you by a source controlled by an opponent, you choose the order in which to apply Deflecting Palm and the planeswalker redirection effect. If you apply Deflecting Palm first, the damage will be prevented (and damage will be dealt to the source’s controller) and the planeswalker redirection effect won’t apply.

• Locked thread