Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Elves because, as previously stated, that island makes no sense and it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I wanna see some elves.

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
Spookane

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Elves, clearly we should save :spooky: Spookane :spooky: for closer to Halloween.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

To Elfland! Sam is going to defeat Astos with the power of shortalls.

I love how there are no fucks given about Cutopia. Then again, couldn't the entire game be considered Cutopia?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wait, so the two of them were throwing a concert . . . for the two of them? Candy had all those requirements for a party with two of her friends? What a jerk.

Elfland.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
:siren: Voting is now closed! :siren:

Looks like Sam and Co. are headed to the Forest of the Elves! Surely there is nothing wrong with this plan.

Meanwhile, I will symbolically cast my sympathy vote for poor Cutopia. Someone will vote for you some day, Cutopia!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Wrap-Up: Candypalooza

Sapphire likes us best. I can't imagine why.

So, to collections! I've shown you the Bird of Paradise flower and the Alexa action figure that Sam fished up out of the sea. What else can we find?

Sometimes if we let Sam run through an entire animation sequence with a specific prop, we will be rewarded. See the DJ Candy action figure to his right? He found that by putting the DJ booth through its paces.

Incidentally, this can get pretty frustrating. Special items only have a small chance of dropping, and that chance will only come around at the very end of an animation sequence. The DJ booth plays its various animations for a minute and a half before it considers itself 'done'. No matter how cute the animations are, being stuck watching the same five or six four-second animations for upwards of five minutes does begin to pall.

Uhhh, anyway, the second weed in a weeding chain has a chance to pull up the Officer Ewan figure. This cameo here is his only appearance in a MySims game for the Wii; he only shows up in person in the cellphone and DS titles.

That's all we can find here for now. Let's go turn in some collections! First: to Rocket Reef, to show Vic our new action figures.

: What rhymes with Wandolier?

: Hmmm... how about "gondolier"?

: ...

: It needs work, I know.

That last line is attributed to Lyndsay in-game, but I'm pretty sure it's a misattribution. So I fixed it! Let's talk to Vic now.

: Someday, she'll be sweeping up exploded labs for ME, Vic Vector! Ha!

You keep on living that dream, Vic. Fittingly, he gives us Rockets for our prize.

This earns us Mana. I was kind of expecting Musical Notes, but... eh.

He throws Electrobits everywhere. That's all the figures we have for now. Anything to add, Vic?

:allears:

Let's head to Capital Island and shower Barney in fish!

: Who's there?

: Barney.

: Barney who?

... except for how Barney's last name actually is 'Cull' but anyway SPEAKING OF BARNEY

Extra screenshot because, I mean, what. Despite all his rage, Barney gives us Happy Essences for the betta.

Brevity and Cake Essences!

Next up, the Building Blocks Scroll. Since it required four kinds of tree effluvium, Sam had to return to several islands to shake trees. Capital Island and its apple trees was the last one.

: Hey, Sam! Did you finish a Scroll?

: Great job! You've gathered all of the Essences needed for the Building Blocks Scroll.

Sam is granted something the game simply calls Building Blocks.

They have their own section in the wand menu.

The Building Blocks are exactly that: plain wooden blocks in a large number of shapes and sizes. In theory, we can now build anything we can dream up. In practice, the fiddly building controls will drive me to distraction first. But, hey! Options!

Finally, remember how King Roland also sent along some fancy new Wandolier clothes? Yeah.

Join us next time as we head to The Forest Of The Elves!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Look at those classy threads, this pig-boy's moving up in the world!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Le Comte de Porc-élève! Oh my!

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Ghostwoods posted:

Le Comte de Porc-élève! Oh my!
I was going to go with Sam Adams, but okay.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Way I figure it, since Candypalooza was a bust the candy factory might be hidden in the forest of the elves. Too bad we will all die of old age before the boat reaches elf island.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

ArchWizard posted:

I was going to go with Sam Adams, but okay.

I assume he is/was some sort of American cultural or historical thing?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Female Wandoliers get a fancy period style dress with matching updo!
Speaking of Sam's herding experience, every single island has some kind of herding/leading section. One island that will be coming up is an abomination for this, requiring two seperate herdings on a very tight, finicky path. It's entirely possible to get your target stuck on the scenery for a long time before they decide to move on to the next area. Have fun with that, Picayune!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghostwoods posted:

I assume he is/was some sort of American cultural or historical thing?

Founding Father and legendary drunk to where a beer brand is named for him.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Robindaybird posted:

Founding Father and legendary drunk to where a beer brand is named for him.

Good chap!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 50: Elves, Schmelves

Sam heads for the boat, intending to go to the Forest of the Elves, but... you know, he should change clothes before he goes. All he really knows about elves is that they're peaceful tree-hugging hippie types who dislike humans and their nature-despoiling ways. Therefore, he should wear something less human-y. Something, you know, green.

Perfect. Let's motor.

: I'm willing to wager we'll meet some elves.

: Oh boy! Do you think they'll make some toys for us?

: Buddy, elves don't make toys all the time. It's just a stereotype.

: Neat! I wonder what type of stereos they make?

: ...

:allears:

Morning dawns on the Forest of the Elves as we draw near.

As we disembark, we see an elf, weeping for the sanctity of her forest or something. You know. As they do.

Let's just go talk to the elf lady and get this over with.

: Buddy! Sorry, that's not what he meant to say...

: No, it is as he says, sadly. Your friend Buddy is most wise.

: ... most what?!

: As Elves, it is our job to preserve the balance of nature here.

: You said 'our job.' Who else is here?

: Oh, that would be Leaf. My companion and fellow defender of the spirit of Nature.

'Sup yourself, bro.

... rar rar giggle rar gurgle rar

: As you can see, the situation is quite upsetting. But wait... do I sense...?

She runs over to Sam.

: Oh, please say you'll help us restore our land, great Wandolier!

See, that's the proper way to ask for Sam's help!

Besides, that angry frogboy scares the bejeepers out of Sam. How do we help him?

... ooookay then. Sam heads up the hill.

Hit me, Corny.

Well, that was a thing that happened. Anyway, Sam heads back down the hill to report his findings to Petal.

: First, let us focus on flower and fish! Frog Berries will come after. You must collect the ancient striped fish of the ponds as well as the pink flower found on canopy's top. Many will be needed!

Sheesh. Elves.

Leaf, though, Leaf is all right.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Flowers, fish, and frogs. Also, outdoor plumbing.

---

Video: Defenders Of Nature
Leaf is too cool for school. Hopper, meanwhile, is an angry nut.

Picayune fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 4, 2014

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Picayune posted:

: Oh, that would be Leaf. My companion and fellow defender of the spirit of Nature.

I'm in love already. :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is that "frog" just a moron in a frog suit? Elves...

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Poil posted:

Is that "frog" just a moron in a frog suit? Elves...

It's a human forced to live like that for the Elves. :ssh:

Elves are dicks.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
I'm guessing that Leaf is the one behind the issues going on right now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

All of the sacred elf spring water is going to the hot tub. And he's wearing clothes in it.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
See, some people guessed that Leaf might be the weird part of this island, but did anyone see Hopper and the talking unicorn statue coming?

I love the Forest of the Elves.

Can we get a video of Hopper running around making insane noises? I remember it being pretty great.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose Dr. F's filling in for the dwarves in this fantasy kingdom. He went into space too greedily and too deep.

Also, the powdered wig would have fit in so well around here. Maybe we can wear it to the ghosts and convince them we're an ancestor.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

GirlCalledBob posted:

Can we get a video of Hopper running around making insane noises? I remember it being pretty great.

Can do!

I went ahead and uploaded the whole cutscene so that everyone can hear Leaf's too-cool-for-school 'Yibsy?'.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
There's no sound on that video.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's there, but the volume's really low.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
... huh, that's strange. It sounds just like normal to me. I didn't change any of my video-rendering settings or anything.

I'm not entirely sure what's up, but I'll look into it tomorrow. :psyduck:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Does this one work better?

I re-rendered the video from the raw footage and listened to it at every step along the way. It still sounds just fine to me, even on another computer. Do any of my other videos do this?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's still pretty quiet. All the others I've watched have been fine.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

ultrafilter posted:

It's still pretty quiet. All the others I've watched have been fine.

This one seems to be the same volume on my end as the others. It sounds fine, anyway.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 51: Frog Berries

Petal needs us to collect Cherry Blossoms and Koi. The Cherry Blossoms are easy: most of the trees around here are Cherry Blossom trees. (There are a couple of Musical Note trees as well.)

Might as well take a look around the island while we're at it. There's a mining spot, but it's nothing exciting: Mana, Musical Notes, Silver, and, oddly, Electrobits.

Digging with our metal detector nets us Mana as well as Amber, Sapphire, and Organic Essences. Yawn.

If we go back to the dock and then follow the beach around, there's a hidden treasure chest. Because it was filled by elves, it contains Organic and Wood Essences, along with Mana and a prize!

Woo?

Up the hill there's a large open area. There's another chest right out in the open by the foot of this large stump. It's just like the first chest, only without the prize.

Oddly enough, the weeding chain runs Crab, Cherry Blossom, Organic, Gold. That's right, Gold. Elves put Wood in their treasure chests and leave Gold in the ground. That's why nobody likes them.

In the meantime Sam inadvertently completes the Scroll we found earlier.

: Another Scroll complete! Sam, you are turning into a Scroll Master!

Sam unlocks a pretty Paper Lantern, a Potted Orchid, a Pretty Flower in a little bonsai tub, a Stone Lantern, some Mossy Rock Paint, and some River Rock Paint. It's all very Zen-garden-ish.

Here's our first fishing spot. It looks like a koi pond to me--but I spy something else.

Platinum Essences--okay, I guess elves have some proper priorities--Mana, and another prize! This present is clothes! Woooo!

Let's fish. Yup, it's a koi pond. Also Bass and Sea Urchins, but no one's perfect.

Behind the koi pond there's a little half-hidden archway in the stone. Wonder what's back here?

It's another fishing spot! And...

um

uh

Anyway!

Oh boy, we're gonna be rich!! ... there are also Crabs and Electric Eels here.

Somewhere in the midst of all that Sam got enough Cherry Blossoms and Koi to pacify Petal. Let's go turn those in.

She gives us an outfit as a reward! Which is... probably good. Sam is starting to get this niggling sense that he's not quite properly dressed for an elven wonderland. It's just, you know, a vague feeling. Let's... go change.

Here's the outfit that was hidden in the koi pond.

And here's the outfit that Petal gave us. Sam even gets a little bow and arrow set! Now that we're dressed all fancy, let's go see about these Frog Berries.

wait

I can see the future

I will be expected to do something about this

: Could you please bring the water back to our poor Berry plants?

Let's do this. Note that the water pump is being powered by a windmill. Elves believe in green power.

Funny how Frog Berries look so much like tomatoes.

There's one Berry plant hidden over here behind the hot tub, all by its lonesome, just to be tricky. Sam runs a pipe through the hot tub to recycle the used water. It's eco-conscious!

Once the hidden plant is watered, it's really a question of diverting the water to these two major clumps of tomatoes-I-mean-berries. No problem.

Elf-friend! And I didn't have to go throw a ring into a volcano or anything.

Petal pulls out her mortar and pestle and mooshes everything together.

Frog Broth is born! Petal foists it off on Sam.

: Here you go, Sam. It's all up to you, now! I think I saw Hopper somewhere around here. Good luck, and be careful...

Sam nods and goes to give the tube of broth to Hopper. However:

Like hell you won't, Gollum!

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Drink it! Drink it, you froggy bastard!!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So this guy is actually a human the elves forced in a frog suit and they regulary poison him with a mind altering substance to make him think he actually is a frog. Now that these berries where gone, he started to regain sentience, which he has to give up now. Why are they doing that? Elves really are the worst.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I think, if you want to get super technical and picky, tomatoes actually are a type of berry. The elves aren't playing you for a chump, they're just stupid and pedantic. Which puts us in much more familiar territory re: elves.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dr. Buttass posted:

I think, if you want to get super technical and picky, tomatoes actually are a type of berry. The elves aren't playing you for a chump, they're just stupid and pedantic. Which puts us in much more familiar territory re: elves.

Botanically speaking, tomatoes are indeed berries, as are such things as avocados, pumpkins, and watermelons. Tomatoes only transform from fruit to vegetable when it comes time to eat them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Be one with nature in peace and harmony and- whoops looks like the plants are dying since I installed this hot tub. Eh, whatever.

Freaking elves. Where's an overlord when you need one?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Poil posted:

Be one with nature in peace and harmony and- whoops looks like the plants are dying since I installed this hot tub. Eh, whatever.

: I never said I was a good king.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Air is lava! posted:

So this guy is actually a human the elves forced in a frog suit and they regulary poison him with a mind altering substance to make him think he actually is a frog. Now that these berries where gone, he started to regain sentience, which he has to give up now. Why are they doing that? Elves really are the worst.

Given how Hopper behaves without the stuff, I can only picture Frog Broth as being some kind of elven ADHD medication.

Poil posted:

... but, yes, elves are the worst. :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Picayune posted:

Given how Hopper behaves without the stuff, I can only picture Frog Broth as being some kind of elven ADHD medication.
Like, dried frog pills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Picayune posted:

Nah he is just really confused because the mind surpression isn't working quite right. If you would give it a day, he would be fully free.

• Locked thread