Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

Since when have hats been on the decline? Hell I rock my cubs hat whenever I go out.

Since about 1945, when there began a total collapse of the sector in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

HUGE missed opportunity in that survey to collect hat and beard style preferences.

Hat
[ ]Trillby
[ ]Other

Beard
[ ]Neck
[ ]Other

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Does anyone have a research paper on attributable factors to the decline in hats in 20th century western world

Edit: I only have access to westlaw thanks in advance

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

Does anyone have a research paper on attributable factors to the decline in hats in 20th century western world

Edit: I only have access to westlaw thanks in advance

Not a research paper, a good general analysis of the issue:

http://www.wupr.org/2013/11/20/goodbye-to-the-porkpie-the-decline-of-american-hat-culture/

E: Key takeaway--

quote:

By the 1970s, the fedora and its cousins had gone into deep hibernation. In recent years they have begun to reemerge, largely due to the popularity of gangster movies and the importance of irony in hipster culture. Like the mustache and coke-bottle glasses, hipsters can’t seem to resist using a former symbol of the white cultural hegemony to show their individuality. Yet the hat won’t return to its perch atop the collective heads of American men- car culture is too entrenched- and the slide toward informality since the end of the 1950s has only continued to progress. The fedora died in the ‘60s. Just don’t give Kennedy the credit.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

"gospel singers"

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

*wink*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So yall just do blackface huh

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i think it's a bit early in the year for a zwarte pieten discussion - let's save that for somewhere later in november or something

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

R. Mute posted:

i think it's a bit early in the year for a zwarte pieten discussion - let's save that for somewhere later in november or something

Maybe you could go as an ebola case?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

My Imaginary GF posted:

Not a research paper, a good general analysis of the issue:

http://www.wupr.org/2013/11/20/goodbye-to-the-porkpie-the-decline-of-american-hat-culture/

E: Key takeaway--

The emergence of car culture is one factor I hadn't really considered before, though that still doesn't account for the persistence of caps

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

The emergence of car culture is one factor I hadn't really considered before, though that still doesn't account for the persistence of caps

Generational thing. Unless you mean caps on rich folk, in which case who drives their own car?

Also, headwear is extremely stylish in non-America. Going clubbing with my Ugandan and DRC colleagues, all of them are wearing fedoras--and pulling it off

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
i wish someone would go clubbing

with your head

and a large heavy object

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

My Imaginary GF posted:

Generational thing. Unless you mean caps on rich folk, in which case who drives their own car?

Also, headwear is extremely stylish in non-America. Going clubbing with my Ugandan and DRC colleagues, all of them are wearing fedoras--and pulling it off

I meant like baseball caps, golf caps (which always seem on the verge of preppy acceptability)

Wide brim hats are still stylish situationally, I was referring more to being ubiquitous for professional dress

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Looks like a trilby, though.

He knows how to rock the fedora, however:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the next President wearing a hat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Only Hillary could go to China and wear a hat

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Only Hillary could go to China and wear a hat

Vietnam, actually, you racist.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Chelsea will be 35 soon, you're right

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's like going to Germany and donning the pickelhaube.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Is Fantasy Congress still a thing? I think D&D should do that again after midterms

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mooyashi posted:

Chelsea will be 35 soon, you're right

Oh god Im older thatn Chelsea.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Woman has sex sober
SLUT

Man has sex sober
Awesome

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's Hillary wearing a hat in China.

Bush, of course, went with a helmet. Safety first!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I remember once I was wearing one of those rice hats and walking back home from the library (it was for a physics project I think) and sort of just leaning against the pole that holds the crosswalk button and some guy asks me in that really slow mildly patronizing voice if i knew English and if I needed help

And my little brother a few years back returning from Vietnam got stopped because they thought he wasn't a US citizen and he was holding one of those

Those are my stories about rice hats

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

E: These stories are not exciting enough to double post!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Another Hillary hat photo, from Halloween in the White House, 1995.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

SubponticatePoster posted:

Hat
[ ]Trillby
[ ]Other

Beard
[ ]Neck
[ ]Other

nice... loving trillby neckbeards lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The importance of irony in hipster culture.

A phrase on the page.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

quote:

During the Second World War, F.D.R. closed West and East Executive Avenues, which bracket the building, though he rejected a proposal by a security panel that he foil nighttime air attacks by painting the White House black.

Take that, Jerry! :smug:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My only hope is that Ebola guy is a member of IS.

I would be so happy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The defendants in one of my largest cases just filed for ch 13

I am so mad. gently caress you Obama.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

Another Hillary hat photo, from Halloween in the White House, 1995.

There's a really terrible joke I want to make here but I can't bring myself to do it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A Halloween costume became regular White House dress in five years.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Cowboy talk reminds me of the yearly Cowboys and Indians party my fraternity threw. Looking back... yeah it was pretty damned bad. Especially the part where I wore only a piece of cloth covering my shame.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I really like it when a D&D libertarian thread picks up steam for a few days before everyone tires themselves out or it gets closed. It's the one circular argument I never get tired of :allears:

Also because this thread is oscillating between hat-chat and the long-awaited R. Mute/MIGF clash, can we also clear up once and for all whether or not tbp is a long-game low-impact troll or just happens to be generally boring?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Wolfsheim posted:

a long-game low-impact troll

Are any of us not?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I just like y'all. Well most of you.

Anyway, GO PIRATES WOOO!

Adbot