Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
If Lud and Zallen are doing "negligible damage" to you then you must be playing on NG with a ridiculously overleveled character because on NG+ my ridiculously overleveled 2500hp character died to two swipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Genocyber posted:

No. Any time I tried to do two attacks when the cat was on cooldown he would counter with a swipe which I had no time to dodge. And said swipe does ~60% of my HP (so about 1200), hardly what I'd call negligible.

Really? Because I just spammed attacks and dodged at the last second/didn't bother to dodge because most of his attacks whiff inconsequentially. Are you actually wearing any armor? Because I just have some lovely robes and an Iron Ring +2, and that seemed to convince them both that we were having a tickle fight.

Also, health matters, get some.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I think Burnt Ivory King's problem was that he never really comboed like Raime or was mobile like Alonne. His mid-fight powerup only gave him more range. That's cool, but that doesn't matter when I'm rolling through his attacks anyway.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Small and Blue posted:

If Lud and Zallen are doing "negligible damage" to you then you must be playing on NG with a ridiculously overleveled character because on NG+ my ridiculously overleveled 2500hp character died to two swipes.

Yeah I wouldn't call their damage negligible. I kept my dual shield guy in NG because I don't have a reason to bring him into NG+. Lud/Zallen's attacks took about 1/4 of my health with each hit and I'm around SL 157 with my health stat sitting at about 45. Ring of protection +1, benharts chest at max, drakeblood gauntlets at max, shields maxed, insolent helm maxed, and imperious leggings maxed. I can take a good beating against enemies and some bosses. The tigers just hit really hard.

Edit: Also I rolled deprived and haven't touched adaptability at all so it's sitting at the bare minimum. I was still able to get in two attacks with my dual shields and dodge the counter swipe from them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Alonne is easy as poo poo. Literally all you have to do is stay close and circle to the right. Most of his attacks will straight up miss, and he'll have to jump away to use his dashing attacks. This also gives you plenty of time to heal.

While I agree that Alonne is easy, healing when he jumps away from you (or is far away in genera) is a terrible mistake. His dash will catch you and then you'll have just wasted an estus use.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Fibby Boy posted:

Yeah I wouldn't call their damage negligible. I kept my dual shield guy in NG because I don't have a reason to bring him into NG+. Lud/Zallen's attacks took about 1/4 of my health with each hit and I'm around SL 157 with my health stat sitting at about 45. Ring of protection +1, benharts chest at max, drakeblood gauntlets at max, shields maxed, insolent helm maxed, and imperious leggings maxed. I can take a good beating against enemies and some bosses. The tigers just hit really hard.

They hit me for about a 6th/5th per hit and only ever attacked once at a time, and my health is only at about 35. Not sure what the big difference here is.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Has anyone ever asked FROM why they went for these dump loot drop mechanics a la WoW?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Artificer posted:

Has anyone ever asked FROM why they went for these dump loot drop mechanics a la WoW?

I think its because one of the lead designers on the team is a big part of the Monster Hunter series, which is outright fetishistic with it's grinding. I'm fairly certain the average Monster Hunter fan has a panic attack if he doesn't spend at least one hour per day grinding for drops on something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Flytrap posted:

They hit me for about a 6th/5th per hit and only ever attacked once at a time, and my health is only at about 35. Not sure what the big difference here is.

Maybe your armor is just that much better.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Artificer posted:

gently caress, WoW drops more loot than this. This is loving obscure Korean MMO drop rates they've put in this game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Really? Because I just spammed attacks and dodged at the last second/didn't bother to dodge because most of his attacks whiff inconsequentially. Are you actually wearing any armor? Because I just have some lovely robes and an Iron Ring +2, and that seemed to convince them both that we were having a tickle fight.

Also, health matters, get some.

Did you not read my post? I have a ton of HP; ~2k. You can't get much higher than that without being super overleveled.

SunAndSpring posted:

I think Burnt Ivory King's problem was that he never really comboed like Raime or was mobile like Alonne. His mid-fight powerup only gave him more range. That's cool, but that doesn't matter when I'm rolling through his attacks anyway.

Yeah Ivory King is easy as poo poo. He does very little damage, even on ng+. I guess they wanted to not make him too tough if you didn't close all the gates.

Manatee Cannon posted:

While I agree that Alonne is easy, healing when he jumps away from you (or is far away in genera) is a terrible mistake. His dash will catch you and then you'll have just wasted an estus use.

No, I mean you stay close and heal after he does a melee combo. He'll usually then jump away and do the dash attack, rather than a close swipe, letting you get away with the heal.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Maybe your armor is just that much better.

Physical defense doesn't really do anything for PVE.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Did you not read my post? I have a ton of HP; ~2k. You can't get much higher than that without being super overleveled.

Yeah Ivory King is easy as poo poo. He does very little damage, even on ng+. I guess they wanted to not make him too tough if you didn't close all the gates.

No, I mean you stay close and heal after he does a melee combo. He'll usually then jump away and do the dash attack, rather than a close swipe, letting you get away with the heal.

Physical defense doesn't really do anything for PVE.

Oh, I thought you said you had about 1200 health. Seriously though, I can't explain why he was hitting you so hard. For me that fight rivals Jabba and the Skelly Kings for the easiest fight in the game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Oh, I thought you said you had about 1200 health. Seriously though, I can't explain why he was hitting you so hard. For me that fight rivals Jabba and the Skelly Kings for the easiest fight in the game.

Are you in ng or ng+? I'm the latter. That's how I usually judge bosses since most have kind of pathetic damage in ng.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Flytrap posted:

I think its because one of the lead designers on the team is a big part of the Monster Hunter series, which is outright fetishistic with it's grinding. I'm fairly certain the average Monster Hunter fan has a panic attack if he doesn't spend at least one hour per day grinding for drops on something.

But why? WHY? It's a dumb as gently caress concept. In every game. It just makes you miserable. Especially when the drop chance is 0.01% of some poo poo.

Edit: gently caress this is why FPSes are nice sometimes because you SHOOT PEOPLE. No drop chance involved in most of them.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Are you in ng or ng+? I'm the latter. That's how I usually judge bosses since most have kind of pathetic damage in ng.

Oh Hell no, base NG. These games still haven't made it worth my while to actually give a poo poo about NG+. Gone all the way to +++ with my Lucatiel build, then got bored with it.

This character might go to it though after I find enough dragon bones to boost all this Ivory equipment. Shame you can't get any of this earlier than the midgame.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Flytrap posted:

Oh Hell no, base NG. These games still haven't made it worth my while to actually give a poo poo about NG+. Gone all the way to +++ with my Lucatiel build, then got bored with it.

This character might go to it though after I find enough dragon bones to boost all this Ivory equipment. Shame you can't get any of this earlier than the midgame.

Speaking of Ivory equipment what's with the "sword" you get from Aava's soul? It's no bigger than a dagger and when I tried it it did no damage.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fibby Boy posted:

Speaking of Ivory equipment what's with the "sword" you get from Aava's soul? It's no bigger than a dagger and when I tried it it did no damage.

It's a lightsaber, but it won't turn on if you don't meet the stat requirements.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Fibby Boy posted:

It's a lightsaber. Do you have the right stats to use it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Artificer posted:

But why? WHY? It's a dumb as gently caress concept. In every game. It just makes you miserable. Especially when the drop chance is 0.01% of some poo poo.

Edit: gently caress this is why FPSes are nice sometimes because you SHOOT PEOPLE. No drop chance involved in most of them.

Borderlands and Destiny disagree. The real problem is that you can cause enemies to go extinct, and some things are one off with a random drop rate for stuff you can't obtain elsewhere. It's still dumb but it's not like you didn't have to do this in the older games. Demon's Souls is still the worst by far about grinding for drops.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Begemot posted:

It's a lightsaber, but it won't turn on if you don't meet the stat requirements.

Ah that would be why then. I just test out weapon movesets as I get them to see what they're like and then go back to smashing things with shields. Okay good to know. Thanks.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Borderlands and Destiny disagree. The real problem is that you can cause enemies to go extinct, and some things are one off with a random drop rate for stuff you can't obtain elsewhere. It's still dumb but it's not like you didn't have to do this in the older games. Demon's Souls is still the worst by far about grinding for drops.
Aside from Pure Bladestone it's actually not, because they don't have psycho game devs who care about such things in a single player game you can just dupe/use the crystal lizard exploit to your heart's content

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Small and Blue posted:

I have a character with 99 Vigor and the cats can do like 40% of that in a single attack. On NG. It's possible it gets massively mitigated by defense or something but they hit loving hard.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's a poor argument when there's cheat engine for this and Dark Souls if you're willing to cheat to get around the grind. Grinding any pure stone is garbage in that game, and it's worse because you are required to have them to max out your weapons.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's a poor argument when there's cheat engine for this and Dark Souls if you're willing to cheat to get around the grind. Grinding any pure stone is garbage in that game, and it's worse because you are required to have them to max out your weapons.
Poor console players can't though

Aren't people being soft banned for using cheat engine to get items?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's actually not worse because the game isn't really balanced around you have max upgraded ones. Even one at halfway can take you through pretty much the whole game, since the game is balanced to allow you to complete the worlds in any order.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This isn't the console thread. Either way though the grind for stones is worse because you can't just get around it by using another weapon, it has to happen to upgrade. And they all have low drop rates. You also have to know how to upgrade poo poo and when. Man, weapon upgrading was dumb back then.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I saw hordes of people in Mimic hat/prisoners tatters and tossing coins while co-oping Burnt Ivory King. Lots of people afflicted with the curse of want.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Senethro posted:

I saw hordes of people in Mimic hat/prisoners tatters and tossing coins while co-oping Burnt Ivory King. Lots of people afflicted with the curse of want.

The curse of life is the curse of want. :smaug:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They drop rarely? I fought the knights ywice and already have 7.

I honestly didnt know that.

Aaaaand now that drop is jinxed for me.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

How in the world are guys like Tallgeese still running around able to invade people while others are being soft-banned for hacking in items? What is he doing that others aren't to get around it? I'm not trying to be a dick because it honestly makes no difference to me, but I'm not really sure I understand how he's getting around it.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Frozen Outskirts is the best thing to happen to this game

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Time_pants posted:

How in the world are guys like Tallgeese still running around able to invade people while others are being soft-banned for hacking in items? What is he doing that others aren't to get around it? I'm not trying to be a dick because it honestly makes no difference to me, but I'm not really sure I understand how he's getting around it.

From is hilariousy incompetent at anti-cheating. Even so, people can easily clear softbans.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Azran posted:

From is hilariousy incompetent at anti-cheating. Even so, people can easily clear softbans.

Right, but what are the people getting soft-banned doing to get caught?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Lot of people saying Frozen Outskirts is the worst area in any Souls game, but is it really worse than the Iron Passage? The reindeer are annoying, but they didn't strike me as particularly challenging enemies to fight as long as you don't ignore them and end up with three chasing you at once. The Iron Passage is like From was intentionally trying to design the shittiest possible area and it's obnoxious even for a Souls game.

Also, do people generally stop leveling at 150? Power stancing the Bone fist is a bit of a problem because you need as a bare minimum 45 dex and 23 strength to do so, but the S scaling is in strength so that means you need to dump a whole bunch into strength as well to get the most out of them if I'm understanding it right. Will going up to 175 or 200 and dumping the stat points into strength cause any problems with finding people to fight in PVP or is that only dependent on soul memory alone? I admit that I'm bad at PVP and never really bother with it so I don't understand the mechanics all that well.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Only spergs stop at 150 SL. For any SL for that matter.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Glad to see Steelheart Ellie is useless again, but I am now a little disappointed in Glencour who really didn't step up this time.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Lot of people saying Frozen Outskirts is the worst area in any Souls game, but is it really worse than the Iron Passage? The reindeer are annoying, but they didn't strike me as particularly challenging enemies to fight as long as you don't ignore them and end up with three chasing you at once. The Iron Passage is like From was intentionally trying to design the shittiest possible area and it's obnoxious even for a Souls game.

Also, do people generally stop leveling at 150? Power stancing the Bone fist is a bit of a problem because you need as a bare minimum 45 dex and 23 strength to do so, but the S scaling is in strength so that means you need to dump a whole bunch into strength as well to get the most out of them if I'm understanding it right. Will going up to 175 or 200 and dumping the stat points into strength cause any problems with finding people to fight in PVP or is that only dependent on soul memory alone? I admit that I'm bad at PVP and never really bother with it so I don't understand the mechanics all that well.

Stop leveling wherever you're comfortable with, it's all soul memory anyway (well, soul memory and the NG/NG+ barrier, anyway.) That said, people frequently do stop at SL150, yes. That's a good stopping point because it's just enough points to get a complete build without getting to the point where your character is good at everything. As for your build: keep in mind that you can supplement your stats with equipment and rings. Try going to 40/40 and grabbing equipment that buffs your stats (for example: the Dexterity Ring will bring you right up to 45 with that build.)

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Frozen Outskirts is not as worse than Iron Passage or Cave of Dead People because it's not a garbage boring cave. Iron Passage is the worst because it's the hardest to run through.

Frankly, they would have been better off removing the Cave of the Dead and Iron Passage and just putting the boss door where the areas started. Frozen Outskirts is a cool idea for an area provided that the enemy placement and spawns aren't annoying but oh well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd say the run through Frozen Outskirts is much worse than the Iron Passage, though at least there are no fireball gauntlets (which are totally optional but still suck).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Frozen Outskirts is significantly worse than the Iron Passage and the Cave of the Dead. Those areas are annoying, but at least you can loving see.